“Nice Trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

You added Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km. 340, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cinco de Mayo 40% Off
Ranked #14 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Pgh
“Nice Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

My husband and I decided to take another trip to Mexico with our 2 boys, 15 and 11. Last year we took them to Dreams Puerto Aventuras (dissapointing). The year before, my husband and I went to the Aventura Spa Palace and LOVED it! At that time it was an adults only resort. We decided that we loved the Aventura Palace so much that we should go to another Palace resort. The Moon Palace is a nice resort. I think it may be a liitle too big for our liking. We stayed in the Grand and the room was beautiful. However, all of the activities go on in Sunrise which is on the complete other side of the resort. We had to take a bus 2-3 times a day which became kind of time consuming. The first couple days we were a little disappointed in the food, but as we tried some of the other restaurants, we found some we liked.

I must say that the service we received at breakfast was AMAZING! When we first arrived at the resort, my husband and the kids were starving. They decided to eat at the Mexican buffet in the Nizuc lobby while I went to our room. 2 days later we decided to go to the same restaurant for a breakfast buffet. Our server Juan Enriquez remembered my husbands name and greeted us with a "Good morning Mr. and Mrs. Lemus" as soon as we walked in with a great smile and a friendly handshake. I can't speak highly enough about Juan. He was so wonderful that we took the bus almost every morning from the Grand to Nizuc to have breakfast with him. Every morning we requested to sit in his section. There was a buffet near our room, but Juan and his assistant (sorry, I can't remember his name)was so wonderful it was worth the trip to start our day off so positive. We only wished that he was our server in every restaurant we ate at!

I would also like to add that on our last full day we had the pleasure of relaxing by the Nizuc pool where Jesus Ku Esquivel was very attentive. We never had an empty glass the entire day. Thanks Jesus!

Overall I would highly recommend the Moon Palace. Although it may have a few little flaws, the service is impeccable! Muchas gracias al personal

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,832)
  • Hebrew first
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

Hi everyone
We traveled to Moon Palace with family and friends to celebrate two special Birthdays and we were not disappointed in our choice, On arrival we were collected and transfered in about 20 mins to the hotel where our bags were taken from us and we were taken to check in with no queue and given cocktails whilst checking in, On arrival to our room in the Sunrise section the rooms were lovely and clean optics of Whiskey Vodka Barcardi and Tequila bottle of wine, bottles of water and a fridge full of canned drinks greeted us with a lovely Jacuzzi all the shower gels shampoo conditioner hairdryer iron and ironing board in fact there is nothing you need to take, These rooms were also cleaned daily drinks replenished and towels changed every day without fail.
each night the beds were remade and a chocolate left on the pillow which was a lovely gesture, and all rooms had air conditioning which was very welcoming as it was very hot whilst we were there. We spent alot of time by the pools which were lovely they were cleaned daily and whilst we were there they were changing all the edging tiles, the swim up bar was great and Gaspar and Jorge looked after us very well,
The 1500 dollar promotion was fantastic my husband and his friend used it for two rounds of golf which they thoroughly enjoyed and even then a man came round with food and drinks throughout the round and on arrival back they were greeted with cold towles as soon as they got back to the club house its worth a visit even if you dont play golf as they have a lovely infinity pool and the scenery is fantastic , my friend and I also had facials pedicures and a silk bath at the spa which was fantastic and again you are thoroughly spoilt by the staff and treatments , It was also easy to get there by golf carts which are available outside the lobby, We did visit Beach Palace which does have a fantastic beach with blue seas and golden sands but the beach at Moon although not that good is not as bad as we thought it would be and we did swim in the sea,
The staff cannot do enough for you IMO and not once did we have cause to complain,
We did go to the Went N Wild which the kids loved and swam with the Dolphins which is worth every penny. There is a Gym and a hairdressers and a lovely gift shop in the hotel I used my I pod for internet which I had for the full time during the holiday so did not need to use the business centre, though we did go in the lovely coffee shop for pastries and the tvs (though there is TVS in all the rooms with limited stations) there is also in the lobby a lovely bar area which has a lovely atmosphere in the evenings and the two singers that they have are good just a shame they dont have a bigger range of songs but people had a good time and got up dancing to all types of music. Do get in quick to book up your spa treatments golf etc as with this 1500 point promotion things get booked up quick you can also use the points for photos transportation wine upgrades etc.. Our only comment is that whilst the Adults are having a drink in the evening in the lobby area there is nothing close by for the kids to do and they quickly became bored there is a mini golf course, table tennis tennis courts available but these are not close by, just a shame there is not a place in the lobby area for the kids to hang out in, To sum it all up this is a fantastic place to go, you will get treated like royalty and you will come home knowing that you have stayed at a 5 star resort. We will definately return,

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

spent a week with teens and inlaws at moon palace... beautiful resort with large pool area. only drawback is the resort is on an inlet so the blue-green gulf is not as vibrant here as it is on the top of the hotel strip. frequent taxi-ing into the main tourist area a negative d/t cost, but the hotel does offer free shuttle service to its sister properties on the strip like cancun palace where the water is to die for! quieter than the strip resorts which can have a "party" atmosphere.. this one is great for families and those looking to relax.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We went to The Moon Palace for our wedding. there were 35 in our group, ranging from a 2 year old, upto a 65 year old. we all had the most amazing time!

the hotel is huge. bigger than huge. it has three main lobbies (Sunrise, Nizuc and Grand) and each are a bus journey apart (you can walk, only 10 minutes, but they put on buses and golf carts).

walking into the Sunrise lobby is a bit overwhelming! it's like a huge american mall! very grand, lots of white marble and escalators etc! but very nice.

the rooms are great, reasonable size, all have a jacuzzi at the end of the bed, we sat in ours on the first morning watching the sunrise!

Sunrise is the busy side, Nizuc is busy, but not as busy! Grand is peaceful and quiet and luxerious!

there are so many bars, restaurants, pools that you can't get bored! we were there 14 nights and still visit every restaurant!

our wedding was gorgeous, on the beach, in the sun!

i can't say how lovely this hotel is. you will love it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Great hotel, good food, friendly staff. Would definately go again.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We stayed at the Moon Palace last year and loved it so much we decided to come back this year with the rest of the family.
Last year everything seemed perfect, this year was a completely different story. I loved this place so it is such a shame, I am hoping the management read this and do something to stop the obvious rot setting in.
You can read all the other reviews and pick up the good points - lots of pools, no rush for sunbeds, lots of restaurants. This years $1,500 promotion is also good. So lots of positives, but now for the negatives, and what we didn't experience last year.

The cleanliness of the place is now disgusting, last year we may have seen two or three cockroaches, this year we were seeing dozens every day, even in the buffet restaurants at breakfast and lunchtimes. The pools were not as clean, often I would spend hours fishing out cups, bottles, bugs and lots of other litter.
The housekeeping seems to have undergone a massive decline, dirty wet towels would be hung up to be re-used, even after we had left them on the floor for changing. A couple of days our room wasn't even cleaned at all, another day I hung the do not disturb sign on the door and the cleaner marched straight in.
Three people in our group had to visit the doctor as they broke out in a strange rash, later that same day the pool was partially drained and new chemicals added - coincidence?
We had heard rumours that due to the low occupancy the hotel was struggling and that they may close the Nizuc side. I saw a number of people asking to be transferred due to the problems.
Despite these problems the most alarming thing I discovered was that the usual, famous excellent service has seemed to become a thing of the past. Last year I could not have faulted a single member of staff, this year I found myself complaining about a number of the staff.
During a round of golf my son in law pulled out his six iron, and whilst practice swinging the club snapped in half, we noticed a sticker had been the only thing holding it together. When we arrived back at the clubhouse his buggy was immediately pounced upon and his clubs pulled from the bag (obviously a scam they do regularly), they were not interested in his story that he never even played a shot with it and demanded he pay $75 for a replacement club. I agreed to pay and said that as we were paying for a replacement I would like to keep the broken club (could have easily proved he hadn't snapped it), Mikey, the jumped up little man who acted like he owned the place was agressive, got very nervous when I demanded to keep the club and eventually said that we could pay $25 to have it repaired. I said I would pay and take it up with the guest relations manager, he then told me to accompany him into the cub house to pay the $25, at the time I was waiting for my son to sort out his belongings from his buggy, I told him to wait a minute and I will come, he then said "you don't want me to have to get aggressive with you" - nice to get threatened by hotel staff when they are so obvioulsy trying to scam you. I wouldn't mind but he was about 2 foot shorter and half my size. I laughed him off and went at my own leisure. I later told guest relations who at the time seemed shocked but to my knowledge did nothing about it, and I heard no more from them.
I also had to complain about a bar man, who decided that half way through taking my order would stop and serve someone else, even telling me to be quiet when I protested. I spoke to his manager who spoke to him in Spainish but he just laughed and carried on.
These are just two examples, there were also numerous other incidents with bellboys, security staff etc being rude and unprofessional.
I suggest that If Moon Palace would like to fill some of their empty rooms they turn this around sooner rather than later. I for one will not be coming back with my family next year, which is a shame as it does have some good points, but if things can become so bad in under 12 months I dread to think what it will be like this time next year !

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Spent 5 days at the Palace as part of a multi-centre holiday with Virgin Holidays. Found the staff to be hospitable; food ands service fab; free room service; great choice of extensive pools and the location of the resort great with easy connections to other parts of the resort and the sister hotels. Spent a day shopping with our teenage daughter near to the Beach Hotel whilst husband and son enjoyed a free game of golf on a world class course (they went on to have another 2 games also free). How often can you travel free to your shopping centre, pop into a super hotel for a free buffet lunch and drinks before descending on the shops and then use the hotel facilities again, enjoying the fabulous views whilst waiting for a return bus? Took full advantage of the free $1,500 x 2 vacation dollars, upgraded wine to Moet; daughter and I had a qualtiy full day spa treatment each absolutely free and even exchanged credits for bottles of tequila. Credit not only to the staff at the Palace but also the Virgin Holidays Staff who where efficient and friendly in our transfer from airport to hotel. Only one word of warning - avoid any invitation to 'learn more' about the hotels VIP members scheme. These are a 'hard nosed' sales team who will waste your valuable holiday time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!