“Amazing Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

You added Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km. 340, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #13 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
pickytraveler79
“Amazing Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

This resort is vast and luxurious. It is located between Riviera Maya and Cancun South....not near the Cancun strip. This is not a spring breakers party hotel. This is a couples/family resort. The grounds are beautiful and well kept and contain everything from jungle to gardens to pool and beach. The food is good for all inclusive....not 5 star gourmet, but delicious and satisfying. The liquor is top-shelf and you are never without a drink in hand. The service is impeccable. The spa is first class, and the golfing is some of the best in mexico.

My comments on people's ridiculous complaints:

Yes, the resort is spread out and you have to walk/ride to get to other areas of it. Get over it. I really enjoyed the exercise. If you didn't want to walk, you should have done your research and stayed at a small, high rise hotel. I think this is an asset to the resort as you can easily steal away for a secluded moment or be in the middle of the festivities. Each side of the resort offers a different feel.....you definitely do not get bored here.

"The beach has seaweed on it." Yes, it does, and the water isn't electric blue. But it is a beautiful emerald green with streaks of hot turquoise running though it. The white sandy beaches were ideal for walks. The beach is lovely and a little sea grass adds character.

I found a coat hanger on the ground...........GET OVER IT

I don't understand how people ruin their own vacations by picking out the tiniest things to complain about the entire trip. They must be miserable people. The resort is a beautiful place to vacation. I would give it 4.5 stars.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,248)
Gulf Breeze
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

This was my first trip to Cancun and I was there for a conference. Having never even stayed in an "all inclusive" I wasn't sure what to expect. While the conference was excellent, the property left a lot to be desired.

Where to start? After landing at the airport, it took nearly 2 1/2 hours to get through customs and immigrations. Later I find out that there is a conference of Latin American leaders in town so this could have accounted for the delays. Upon arriving at Moon Palace I was pleased to find that the check in lines were short. However, despite only 2 people in front of me in line, it still took 30 minutes of standing in line before I got checked in. My first major complaint would be the room service. I ordered a quesadilla at 10:30 and was told it would be there by 11. By 11:30 it hadn't arrived so I called to check on it. I was told it was on the way. Another 15 minutes later if did arrive, well, something arrived. It was not my order at all and I tried to tell the delivery guy that I thought he had the wrong room. I don't think he understood English very well and just shrugged. I was starving anyways so I just ate the food. It was terrible. Worse room service ever and I have ordered ALOT of room service. Apologies to whomever's order I actually received. Another experience with room service later in my stay was equally disappointing.

But I think my number one complaint (and one echoed by many I spoke with at the conference) was that placing the Do Not Disturb sign on your door means nothing! I was woken by housekeeping early one morning despite having the sign on the door. It's also important to note that the staff only knocks once before opening the door so you'd better be sure you're decent whenever you're in your room. And there are none of those inside flip locks that you find at many hotels so that you have an extra level of security while in your room. As a female traveling alone this made me very uncomfortable.

Another thing regarding housekeeping, if you have ANYTHING that you don't want thrown away, put it in a drawer or something. I had a stack of cotton swabs (for removing makeup) on the counter that were thrown away as well as an open (but sealed) half full bag of potato chips that were thrown away.

The staff tries hard and were super friendly but clearly need more training.

The pool area is nice and relaxing. The balconies off each room are nice but be sure you check your hammock before you sit in it. Mine had a giant hole in it so it was unusable.

I don't want to judge Cancun on my one experience as I'm sure there are much better properties but unfortunately Moon Palace has left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

This was our third trip to Moon Palace within the last two years. Two of the trips were just my husband, my two teenage sons and myself, the third trip included extended family members ranging in ages of two years- 80 years old.
We love this resort. The food is delicious, awesome golf course, spa facilities were wonderful. Several restaurants to choose from, the staff members were very courteous and helpful, never worried about my teenager's safety on the resort property.
We have traveled extensively and I would be content to stay at Moon Palace for every vacation.
The only negative thing I can say is if you are elderly or have difficulty walking, you should request a central location. We did this for my in-laws who are in their 80's and our request was honored. Love Moon Palace !!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

We have been to Moon Palace 4 times, first as a couple in 2003 and we liked it so much we have been back 3 times with extended family. We are Palace VIP members so the times we had family reunions we got a 2/bedroom Presidential as a main meeting place and then jaccuzzi rooms nearby for the rest.

The staff has always gone above and beyond to accomodate our groups, I really can't remember a single time we had a complaint about the service. Maybe sometimes there were lines at the restaurants or the free shuttle bus and maybe somebody didn't get a turndown one night or something minor, but overall the Moon Palace service is consistently wonderful.

The grounds are very tropical and well kept. The pools are awesome. There are activities all day everyday for all age groups and there are shows every night. There are always entertainment staff walking around in costumes or with birds or iguanas or doing balloon tricks, etc. There are plenty of chairs at the pool and the beach, and plenty of quiet areas at the pool or in hammocks under the palms and plenty of music, dancing, aerobics and games if you want more action.

There are 3 spas, the one at the Golf course is amazing with hydrotherapy rooms, book your spa there if you can. The other 2 in Nizuc and Sunrise are smaller, but still nice and great for manicures and pedicures, also that is where they do the hair and make-up for wedding parties so it is really fun to be in there when all the excitement is going on.

The golf course is Jack Nicklaus designed. There is tennis, basketball, mini-golf, kids club, climbing walls, kayaks, paddle boats and just about any sport you could want. Palace also owns a zip-line across the road and a Wet-N-Wild water park nearby, both are free to guests.

There are at least 12 restaurants to choose from as well as grills around pools for a quick snack. I don't know how many bars there are, but there are alot including one in each room! As far as the food, everybody has different tastes. There is everything from buffets to formal dining. The quality is really good, I highly recommend the kitchen tour. Our kids really enjoyed it believe it or not, especially the napkin folding class!

Mo Mo No Ha is good, but it is right in the main lobby and often has long lines. I like the Italian and Asian at the Golf Club, very elegant and the golf cart ride through the jungle to get there and back is very romantic and beautiful. I wouldn't walk there at night because there are lots of wild animals like alligators and coatamundis around. Makes it exciting though and you are sure to see some wildlife any time of day. There is also a snack bar and a nice pool at the Golf club and spa, and even a bar in the middle of the jungle on the way there. You will never go thirsty at Moon Palace!

Another favorite is the Argentine restaurant on the Nizuc side. It is right on the ocean and they bring huge skewers of all different kinds of roasted meat right to the table and slice off what peice you want with a huge machete right onto your plate.

Don't miss having at least one Mayan Coffee, they make this delicious flaming drink right at your table and it is quite a show.

Always remember that if you don't like what you ordered you can always order something else or go to one of the other restaurants if the line is too long or you don't like the service or ambiance or are still hungry or whatever.

Lunch on the Grand side was the best in my opinion, walk back along the sea wall for great views of the Hotel Zone off in the distance .

We have done all the tours, our favorites are Isla Mujeres and the Tulum/ Xpu Ha. Chichen Itza is a must see, but it is very, very hot inland, and it's a long bus ride. I wouldn't recommend it for young children.

The beach is very nice and wide with beautiful white sand. Even though the water is not the blue with crashing waves like on the hotel strip, it is calmer and there are kayaks and paddle boats.

I will post a few photos. If any one has any questions please feel free to PM me!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

We like the location of the Moon Palace the best. It's isolation is it's best feature. Tucked away from the crowded, noisy Hotel Zone, this hotel has it all: a championship golf course, great spa, fabulous beach and water sports, 2 major pool areas, great choices of restaurants, casino, and entertainment, Rooms vary from timeshares to hotel rooms to two and three bedroom villas. There is definitely something for everyone at this resort.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Very nice all inclusive resort, great food and many restaurants to choose from. You can drink all day if you want. Pools are right beside the ocean and both were convenient and close to our room. Our room had a giant whirlpool, a king size bed, a bar, and a balcony and it was very nice! I definitely recommend this resort!!

Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Enjoyed the hotel. The employees take good care of the guests and there is alot to do.

Stayed January 2008

Been to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!