“We had a great time.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

You added Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km. 340, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #12 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Boston
“We had a great time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

My wife and I have never been to the Caribbean and have never stayed at an all-inclusive resort. We therefor had no preconceived notions or specific expectations about our hotel or the area.

Our stay was last week of August and the place was virtually empty. The resort is absolutely enormous and there were maybe a couple hundred people, if that. It was a welcome fact, since it was fun having the place basically to ourselves. The only odd thing was going to dinner every night and being one of maybe 2 other tables in their large restaurants.

Speaking of the restaurants, there are 14 of them. We tried all the more upscale restaurants and thought the food was surprisingly good. Since I enjoy a good beer for dinner, the only disappointing thing was the lack of a beer selection. All the restaurants seemed to have the same beer on tap. I think it was Dos Equis.

We stayed at the resort using one of my aunt's premier member weeks. We were greeted with champaign and found our room with a bottle of champaign and a bottle of wine waiting for us. On an almost daily basis, we found little goodies, like chocolate covered strawberries once we returned to our room at the end of the day. The service was outstanding.

We do not know if the service was this way because of our premier (black band) status, or if that is the same for everyone.

The resort has the largest and second largest pool in all of Cancun. It is absolutely huge. There are swim up bars in each of them. There also is a kids area which seemed well designed.

My wife and I had free tours included. We visited Tulum and Isla Mujeres. Each trip was well put together and we had a good time. Parts of it were a little bit too touristy, but we never felt too overwhelmed.
We also visited Wet & Wild water park and the zip line park across from Moon Palace. Both places very virtually empty at the end of August and were a lot of fun. Sticking to the bus schedules was the only downside at times.

We also visited all but one of the other Palace resorts along the main strip. They all appear very clean and modern and feature great pools and in the case of Sun Palace a fantastic beach. If you enjoy a proper beach with waves, go to Sun Palace.

All in all we enjoyed ourselves immensely and would return without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,346)
georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

As always...no glitches! Lovely room with great service. Love the cart service from our suite at the Sunrise to the golf course. Golf always challenging and fun! Staff have never disappointed us. Happy to be returning in December!
J&M

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

We stayed here over Christmas last year and had an amazing time. We loved the enormous room with the whirlpool bath (it does take an age to fill up tho!). The pools were great as were all the staff. The best thing we found though was the food and drink. Great choice and quality in all the restaurants we tried and drinks were plentiful. Would love to return.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

The trouble with reviews of hotels/resorts is not everyone has the same frame of reference. Moon Palace is a very good all inclusive hotel. If you're used to staying at a Quality Inn on your vacations, you'll be blown away. If you're used to staying at the Ritz, you'll be disappointed.

One note - we were there from Aug 29-Sept 5 and it was a complete ghost town. Literally 4-5 tables of people in a restaurant for dinner. I was there 4 years ago and it was a LOT less people. Economy, Swine flu, etc. really have taken a toll there.
The resort is kept very clean. Our room was a standard Jacuzzi room with King bed. The room was very clean. It's big enough for what you need it for - after all you're in Cancun. If you're spending hours of time in the room not in the bed, you've gone to the wrong destination. As others mentioned the fridge is well stocked and you even have a liquor dispensor.
Service staff was very friendly and attentive. Sometimes a language barrier - as to be expected but never a rude person. I've stayed in some real 4 & 5 star hotels and some of the staff in those could learn customer service from Palace Resorts.

Pool is HUGE. Definitely largest of this, Beach, Cancun palace (all of which I've been to). Definitely lots of space to get sun by the pool - which is a bonus in such hot weather. Other resorts have less pool space - here your chair is right on the pool.

Drinks: For adults out there - the Moon has better top shelf (although still not extensive) than the other Palace resorts do. However, standard drinks are still made poorly. I honestly had to provide detailed instructions on how I wanted my margarita made. Like any place there were good bartenders and poor. My favorite understood immediately and made it to perfection every time he saw me and my girlfriend coming. We tipped him well. So, my advice is - if you like mixed drinks, make sure you know how they SHOULD be made so you can educate the bartenders (who otherwise use way-too-sweet mixes, too much ice/soda and poor quality liqour). And when getting a Tequila based drink (or a shot) make sure to specify Anejo or you'll get the cheep stuff they use in the Tequila Punch.

Restaurants - One thing I like about Moon Palace is the number of restaurants - about 8 real restaurants to choose from. Quality can be hit/miss. To be sure, quality is never better than say a Fridays - so don't expect Mortons. But it is good quality - we only had one bad meal there (don't order the veal at their Italian restaurant). Sushi, steaks (again think Fridays steak, not Mortons or even Outback), Fajitas and others were all good. To me though it is still worth the convenience of an all-inclusive to have restaurants on-site, with all-you-can-eat-and-drink. I'm on vacation to relax - not worry about where I'm going to dinner and if I'm going to wait for an hour for a table. Especially with kids, this is a wonderful concept. But you have to have the right frame of reference.

Beach - ok, this is the weak spot. The beach itself is very nice - clean, shell-free sand that is easy to walk on. But the water is not the nice blue you see up on the strip. And, of course there's the sea-weed. So, we did not go swimming in the Ocean there. We actually went 2 days up to Sun Palace (no kids allowed). Smaller pools but the beach was much better - lot less seaweed and the water was better. Not the crystal clear of the islands but more pleasant than down by moon palace. The only downside is the shuttle they run between the Palace Resorts requires you to match a return time. There are 3 departures from Moon to the strip and 3 returns and you have to come back accordingly - if you're on the 12:00 outbound, you have to take the 4:00 inbound. So you can't take first bus over and last bus back.

We also went on the sales pitch so we could get $$ towards the spa (combined with a spa credit we had for our package we were able to get a couples 50minute massage for $42 out of pocket). My advice to you is - the sales pitch is the worst scam I've ever heard of. They try to spin it nicely but it really is a bad deal. They first wanted us to buy a 30 week package. Then went down to a 10 week - for $5,000. The catch is, after the first time you have to pay your own airfare AND for a couple, $2,000 each week for "all inclusive". So, the $5,000 equates to $500 per week plus $2,000 for the fee plus say $500 for airfare for two. Total cost = $3,000. Our trip this time around was $2600. And I haven't locked all my vacation money in for the next 10 years to go to the same destination. They do a very good sales job and conveniently keep forgetting to mention the airfare and all-inclusive fee you have to pay for everyone of your weeks after the first one or two.

Entertainment - again, you have to keep things in perspective. It's good for free entertainment. But don't expect it to be a Vegas show.
I'll attach some photos of the resort for you to see

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
PhillyPhilly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

We had a great time at the Moon Palace from start to finish.
Rooms:
We stayed in the Presidential Golf Suites that came with personal golf cart for you to get to and from the main hotels.The rooms are beautiful,we had daily housekeeping,towels,mini bar refills,etc. And you didn't not have to ask it was done automatically. The showers are roomy (can fit 2 and still have room)and the jacuzzi is great :).when you arrive there is a bottle of wine and fruit.that gives the room a nice touch as well. And the room service very good,it didn't take long get your order and the food taste great.
Food and Bars:
The food was GREAT..and I am somewhat of a picky eater. And i can't thing of one thing that i didn't like at any of the many resturants.They have specilatiy drinks of the day(everyday) :). And my favorite was The BLUE LAGOON.. but when i was not drinking blue lagoons I was drinking something. Needless to say my cup was never empty....
Spa:
Me and my husband did the spa together. when you make your reservation they ask you to come a hour early before your appointment so you can do all the amenities that the spa has..WELL I enjoyed meant of it. After during all the amenities then came an hour long couples massage.My husband is still talking about it.
Beach / Pools:
The beach was nice the only thing was when you walk into the water the sand was really rocky(but I'm don't really swim in the ocean so it didn't change my outlook of the resort at all).So for the pool area the and the swim up bars they were a bunch of fun and there is always some type of entertainment going on around the pools area everyday something different and was one reason things stay interesting because everything wasn't sameo sameo..and the crowd was always nice.. It was three other couple that went with my husband and I and they al have been saying the same thing..(MOON PALACE WAS THE BEST WE MUST GO BACK).

So if you are think about Cancun,think Moon Palace..

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

We did not travel to Cancun intending to stay at this location. We booked a room at another all inclusive resort, but were approached at the airport for a tour of this resort in return for some good incentives. Upon arriving we found this resort to be far better than the one we had booked at and even decided it was good enough to buy a membership. We had the manager throw in a complimentary week while we were down and we transferred the next day. In the 5 days we were on site we were treated like kings. The rooms are kept well stocked with beer and soda, and there is even a liquor dispenser in the adult's room. The activities at the resort were far to numerous for us to even make a dent in before we had to leave. With18 holes of mini golf and 36 holes of Arnold Palmer PGA level golf, the golfers are covered. 2 large pool complexes (only one of which did we get into) kept the kids entertained. Nightly shows that are not repeated week to week are top notch quality. We were told there was a paintball course on site but we never had enough energy to look for it. The activity center and sports area were impressive but it was a little hot for outdoor sports. The excursions offered were first rate. We got our two trips for taking the tour(the same two trips each guest gets per week of stay anyway) and used the chance to visit Tulum and took the kids to the Wet 'n' Wild water park (small by Stateside standards but still a nice day as food and drinks were still included). We also purchased 2 water sports excursions. We decided to go para sailing, and took a jungle tour through a mangrove jungle on an outboard jet ski to the beach where we snorkeled over the reef. The experience was awesome for us and our children. The only bad part of the whole time here was having to leave. Even this was made marginally easier by the courteous staff who took care of getting the cab and making sure everything was in order to get us to the airport at the right time. We cannot wait to return to this resort and explore the other resorts in the Palace family.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Seaham Co Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

My husband and I travelled to Cancun and stayed at the Moon Palace for 2 weeks for our honeymoon. On arrival receptionist was ok, but as soon as we were in our room we received 4 phone calls off the belt from customer relations/reception/timeshare people, not what you want after travelling since 3am in the morrning from Las Vegas!!
We were also pestered by our Virgin Holiday rep as soon as we arrived, she left two officious messages on the answerphone, we later discovered we were the only 2 guests she had in the hotel as we arrived on 1st June just after the swine flu advisory was lifted. That figures as the americans would say. I couldn't believe a 5 star hotel would bother their guests in this way.
The hotel itself was fab, the majority of food absolutely lovely with stacks of choice, we really enjoyed bugumbillias at lunch when we were too lazy to breakfast. The chinese in the Nizuc side had to be our favourite. Everyone we met raved about Trattoria I thought it was slightly overrated as my food was luke warm disappointing!
The staff were all so lovely and genuinely so, we tipped well. Cocktails round the pool during the day weren't very strong I suppose they don't want everyone plastered oh and probably don't want the americans to be louder than they already are if that's possible!
I can safely say I had really had enough of them by the end of the fortnight, they can be downright rude & I had 2 personal experiences of this and saw/heard them be rude to the staff, the only downside to what was a perfect stay in the Moon Palace.
We sort of managed to escape from them as the place is so big, the Moon Grand pools being our favourite. I thought the beach was lovely, don't know why everyone whinges about it get a life!
Anyway all in all it was a good honeymoon/holiday but I think it would be nicer if it was more geared up for couples instead of loud brash yanks.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!