“Fantastic Family vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

You added Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km. 340, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Fantastic Family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

I went to Moon Palace with my family: husband and 2 sons. We really enjoyed our family vacation and would definitely go back again. I may be one of the pickiest people in the world and I was very happy.
We were supposed to stay on the Sunrise side and that is where the shuttle dropped us off. When we went to check in, they informed us that we were on the Nizuc side. After that, check-in went very smoothly. We LOVED staying on the Nizuc side. Not as many people and more laid back. The Nizuc side was very family oriented. We visited the Sunrise side at all times of the day and liked everything about the Nizuc side better than Sunrise. Would stay on that side again!!! Either side you can't go wrong.
We were not too far from the lobby or pool. We love to walk, so we never took a golf cart. Not even over to the sunrise side. Mosquitos were not too bad. We had to use our bug spray 3 or 4 times in a weeks stay. You get mosquitos everywhere this time of year with the heat.
My boys are 8 & 11 and had a blast just hanging in the pool. There were plenty of activities all day. My oldest loved the water volleyball. They also went kayaking several times. The non-motorized water activities at the beach were always in use. The beach did have a lot of seaweed, but there was not a smell. We went knowing that it was not the best beach and spent most of the time at the pool. We did take walks on the beach. The sand is soft and white, the same sand as the hotel zone. The hotel was completely sold-out. There were families everywhere.
We took the Tulum/Xpu-Ha tour. That was good. It was very hot that day and the mosquitos started biting. Bring your bug spray. Also, wear your bathing suits under your clothes. You can dip in the beach after the formal tour and it is so hot that you will want to jump in. Everyone loved snorkeling at Xpu-Ha, then we relaxed on the beach. We took the excursion to Isla Mujueres. We loved that too. My husband and oldest son took a snorkeling tour out at the reef and LOVED it. I stayed at the beach club with my youngest. There was plenty to do: water slide, nurse shark in a pen, shopping and plenty of food and drinks. My son got his henna tattoo there and we got it for only $12. The silver and turquoise selection was very nice and the prices were good too.
We took a free shuttle to the mall and then walked to the Beach Palace for some beach time. The water was VERY rough that day. My 8 year old could only play in the waves for a short time. The water was beautiful, but the beach was small and the sun did not come over the hotel. If I were going to do a beach day, I would go to the Cancun Palace. We didn't go there, but we were NOT impressed at all with the Beach Palace.
The food at Moon Palace was good, not great. We liked the new Trattoria at the Golf Club. It has a dress code, no pants. Breakfast was good everywhere as was lunch. We ate lunch poolside, when we ate it. There is so much food that we were never very hungry for lunch. One of the poolside restaurants grills to order (vs. a buffet). One of my sons liked the grilled cheese and the other liked the cheeseburgers.
As for the smell that some people talk about, we smelt it twice. It is only right by the tennis courts and it lasts less than a minute.
You do need to get up early to get chairs under a palapa (umbrella). It is worth it, the sun is very strong. We sat under palapas almost all day and still got a lot of sun. You just can't help it. We even had 45 or 50 sunscreen on and everyone is still very brown.
Even with being there a week that was sold out 7/5-7/12, we never felt overwhelmed or that there were too many people. I think that is because we were on the Nizuc side and it just has a smaller feel. It was a great vacation and we would go back in a minute. It was not perfect, but if I needed something, I asked at the front desk and they were on it very quickly. I tried to call over the phone once and many people in the individual departments do not speak english and my request did not get filled( b/c they did not understand me). Everyone at the front desk speaks very good english and if you need something (anything) that is where you should go for your request. Everyone is very eager to please.
I hope this helps.
Enjoy!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,840)
  • Hebrew first
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2005

Me and my family just got back from my cousin's wedding at the Moon Palace(july5-12th). The ages ranged from 1-53 yrs old. After reading just about every review I could find I arrived prepared, I thought. Here is what I learned first hand...

Mosquitoes are insane. I think they actually like the bug spray. It was got to be funny seeing everyone even the staff slapping themselves to kill those little pests and everyone had over a dozen red bumps on their legs.

Checking in is a nightmare. We booked with a travel agent and through Apple Tours. We requested that the rooms be in close proximity to each other and we paid for suites. Regardless of all garuantees before hand, the desk staff had us all in different rooms on both sides of the resort. Only after threats that we would take the 30+ ppl we came with and all the $ for the wedding plans elsewhere we were given rooms in the same building. However none were suites that we had requested and paid for. We all had 2 double beds and even the bride and groom only got a king size bed because they repeatedly begged. This is definately one of the reasons why we would not come back.

On a better note, the food was great. The asian restaruant was the best followed by the brazilian on the Nizuk side. We heard that the italian restaruant at the golf course was good but we couldnt face battling the bugs just to get there, since you need to wait for the shuttle to drop off at the gold course and then take a golf cart thru the woods. Some of the waiting times for tables are long but if you keep pestering them theyll accomodate you.

The staff was pretty good. We left at least a $10 tip to the maid everyday with a note in spanish and the room was prefectly cleaned, with extra bottles of water and towels left. One day we even came back within an hour because we forgot something in the room and it was already finished. My mother even saw the maid moving the beds to clean behind them.

The beach was mirky with too much seaweed. So everyone comes to the pool. You have to wake up early to get a chair on the side of the pool or under a tree.

The swim up bar was the best, since it was too hot to not stay out of the water for more then a minute.

We also did a couple of activities while down there...
The trip it Isla Majeras was a lot of fun. You take a boat ride over there and they have a number of activities. We chose swimming with the dolphins which was great. You are actually in the ocean not in a pool and they keep the groups small so everyone gets to interact. The older ppl in my family did the boat tour which was relaxing and took you around the island. There was also scuba diving and snorkling.
The other tour we did was the jungle tour. You drive 2 man speed boats thru the jungle and out into the ocean. Then you snorkle out on the reef which was worth it.
Then we did horseback riding which we have been wanting to do for a while. They take you through the jungle then to the beach where you can ride the horses into the wate up to your waist.
There were other tours that we heard about but due to the hot weather we just wanted to lay by the pool.

All and all I would recommend the Moon Palace to anyone. It is a huge all inclusive resort that also allows you to use the other Palace resorts for free. Beach Palace(good beach and close to malls in downtown Cancun), Cancun Palace(good beach). As long as your careful what you eat and drink you shouldnt have a problem.

Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2005

Just returned from the Moon Palace from last week's vacation. Excellent place to stay especially with kids. The beachfront is tremendous and the property covers a huge amount of territory. We also went into town and visited several other resorts but nothing as nice or big as Moon Palace. Would definitely go there again without hesitation. Everything is big at the Moon Palace from the lobby to the restaurants to the pools. There was some seaweed problems on the beach, but nothing too bad. There are plenty of watersports available to keep you busy. The drinks and food were very good and they ofer several items that appeal to all ages and appetites. Food is available all times during the day. Will definitely return there in the future. Probably the best vacation for the family we've ever had.

• Stayed July 2005
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Moon Palace for our 10th anniversary. Be careful with your luggage. We took an Olympus tours van from the airport to the hotel and then left our luggage with the bell boys prior to getting our room number. When we got to our room, my new digital camera had been stolen. (it was in a carry on bag on the flight, so it was stolen between the airport and our room). The hotel staff was not much help and said that I would have to go to the police station downtown to file a report. Olympus tours did not help either. In the future, I will hold on to all of my bags during the entire transfer. The hotel was nice, but the beach was horrible. The smell was horrible and you could not get in the water. I compare it to being at a typical US lake. We did take the shuttle bus to the Cancun Palace and the Beach Palace. Both has incredible water and a great atmosphere. The room was nice, but the bed was very hard, the TV channel selection was horrible, and the jacuzzi tub had a ugly brown film that formed when the jets were turned on. The food at the Moon Palace was below average. It is typical buffet food. The Chinese restaurant was good. The bartenders were very cordial and would make your drink as strong as you wanted it to be. The hotel did have a big mosquito problem. You could not sit out on the balcony hammock. We tried to play the mini-golf course one evening, but the mosquitos only allowed us one hole of play. I tried to go on a snorkeling trip, but they were all booked up and the guest services people did nothing to help accomodate me. The men at the bus tent were very rude when it came time to take a shuttle to other hotels, or to the airport. I would not stay at this resort again. It was not all at what we expected. The Cancun Palace would be much better choice. On future trips, I will probably stay at the Hilton, or the Riu Palace. Both have nice facilities, and have the beautiful water that one would expect when visiting this part of Mexico.

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2005

Stayed at the Moon Palace in May and enjoyed the resort very much. Everything was as advertised. Unfortunately, my jewelry was left behind. The concierge worked with me and my travel insurance company to see that it was safely returned. I promised to write a review if this happened so here it is! My package arrived today. My thanks to everyone at Moon Palace who assisted in the return of some sentimental pieces.

southern Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2005

We have been to Moon Palace 3 times, all in March (school break) We have gone with our own teenagers, other relatives and this year another family with teenage daughter and a friend of the girls. Everyone had a good time. We let the teenagers take the shuttle in to Beach Palace for the beach a couple of times during the day and for shopping etc. and felt safe doing that. We were happy to not be in the hotel/bar zone at night, as the kids all wanted to try out the bars! That way there was no temptation. They loved having free reign of the resort, and coming and going as they pleased, after all there is no where else to go.We had a presidential suite, so we had a beautiful bedroom and living room area with large kitchen and a bedroom for the teens, other people we travelled with were nearby. Food was good, I think better and improved each trip we have been down there- seems they are listening to the guests. Certainly everyone is correct in saying all the staff are wonderful, so helpful, happy and polite. Tipping is not necessary, but they are very appreciative if you do tip a small amount occassionally. We have also been to Xpu=Ha resort, very quiet, not much going on there, but good to go for a day to see the animals, snorkel etc. This trip we went to Isla Mujeres and on the jungle tour, but have done the ruins at Tulum and snorkeling at Akumal. Look forward to going back and playing some golf next time!

• Stayed March 2005
Edison, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2005

We visited Cancun from July 4 - July 8 2005. I must say, much much more than I expected. There was so much to do, five days is definitely not enough time. We will definitely go back soon.

We stayed at the Moon Palace. The grounds, pool, entertainment, activities all top notch.

The beach as you've probably read is not so great. There is alot of seaweed that washes up to shore. We took the shuttle to the Beach Palace for the day, where the beach is magnificent. Everything you'd expect from Cancun. White sand, green water, just beautiful.

The rooms at the Moon Palace were ok. I would rate it a 7 on a scale from 1 to 10. Our jacuzzi kept breaking down until they installed a new pump or something.

Service was great. Everyone was so friendly and willing to accomodate anything.

Food was excellent as well. We enjoyed all the restaurants the variety of food and service that came along with it.

I can't wait to go back!!!

Couple of things I noticed that may be helpful to those traveling:

1. When you are shopping, try to haggle them down to at least 1/2 of what they are asking for. They start really high. I started at $120 for this necklace and got the guy all the way down to $30 (He probably still made a good profit LOL). Be willing to walk away, there are so many stores selling the same items, you'll find what you're looking for at the price you want to pay.

2. Stay away from the presentation that Guest Services tries to get you to attend. They offer Palace money to go. I would not recommend this for anyone. We almost got sucked in. They want to sell you a membership to the Palace resorts. For the Jacuzzi suites she started out at 50 weeks for $24,700. They came all the way down to $5900 for 25 weeks and a free seven day trip. At that point, my husband could see I was at my breaking point and I was fumbling with numbers in my head, he had to intervene. They say they will ask you yes or no at the end and if it's no, it's no. No hard feelings, etc. THATS A JOKE. They seriously would not take NO for an answer. In fact, our sales person looked like she wanted to cry (all an act) and she had to bring someone else in to see if she could hook us.

Been to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!