“Great Stay at Moon Palace” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

Save Saved
You added Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Km 340, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #15 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Locust Grove, Virginia
“Great Stay at Moon Palace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

Our 4th visit to Moon Palace was 4/21-28-2009 preceded by a week at Aventura Spa Palace..Moon Palace was our first Palace vacation in 2000 as Palace Members but we hadn’t been since 2004. It is as beautiful as ever and a great family resort. We chose to stay on Nizuc side but visited restaurants at Grand and at the golf course. The Grand side is beautiful and has golf cart shuttles to Nizuc side very often. It would be great if they had plans to finish the Grand lobby but it’s apparently not in the near future. There were shows on both Sunrise and Nizuc every night. We went to the karaoke , Mexican night, and Broadway night. Mexican night was a fair with many local merchants selling things .I didn’t compare prices with the gift shop but there was a huge variety available. We were very satisfied with all of the restaurants we went to and the food and drink service at the pool. I had several spa treatments and hubby used the gym about 4 times. The included zip line was ok but doesn’t compare to the Selvatica one that we did a couple years ago. Since it’s in the sun and not the forest, it seems to me that the summer months would be unbearable for this tour. If our children and grandchildren can share a vacation with us again, Moon Palace would be our first choice as it was in 2003 for a wonderful family vacation.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,070)
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

Well, here I am struggling to write a review...I just don't know where to start. My best friend and I planned a getaway and this was far beyond our expectations. From the moment we got into the Moon Grand van until we were dropped off at the airport, we were treated like we were indeed in a Palace. Our suite was at the Moon Grand section of the resort. We had no idea where it would be ,but I think we really lucked out bigtime!! The suite was absolutely gorgeous and spotless!! After checking the place out, we headed for the nearest pool, and that became OUR pool. Oh, there are so many to choose from and I think we dipped into most of them, but this was our favorite. The restaurant bar there was great and the service exceptional. My travel partner did an awesome job of selecting the restaurants for evening dinners, and they were all great!! I have absolutely no complaints about the quality of the food. There is so much variety, I can't understand why there has been negative comments. I just wish I could have been there longer to go back a second time. We went on the Adventure snorkelling tour and parasailing and both were a blast!!! The pools were all beautiful and the beach wasn't near as bad as the reviews. The staff does an excellent job at keeping the seaweed under control, it was beautiful. We did go to the Sun Palace and the Beach Palace and we were able to be in the blue water that is so breathtaking. After all is said and done, we were so happy that we ignored all the news about the swine flu and went anyways. There was hardly anyone there, which was sad, but it made it so much easier for the staff to spoil us. They go out of their way to make this the best vacation you will ever have!! It's always their pleasure! Besides that it was a week of relaxation, being with my best friend,lots of laughs, lots of great food, drinks,what more could you ask for? (besides to go back or just never leave) I'm hoping to make another trip there ASAP, maybe with my husband next time. I know that he would enjoy it too!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

Hotel: Absolutely amazing. The rooms were outstanding and very clean. The mini-bar was refreshed everyday and the cleaning staff were kind and did a great job. The staff in genereal were amazing. There were only a few times when we were in the pool that our drinks were empty for a few minutes. They were always coming around to get us new one. The pool(s) were outstanding. Clean, warm, plenty of shade and sun available.

Food: There was a wide variety of food to choose from. I would defintiely recommend the japanese restaurant and their sushi. Extremely good.

We traveled here for a friends wedding. They did an amazing job organizing and prepariny the wedding. This resort is definitley recommended for weddings and couples looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

My husband and I went here to plan a destination wedding (which ended up being a wedding at home due to one of our parents getting ill we still wish we could have gotten married at one of the palace resorts the picture of the weddings they have had at all of their resorts are gorgeous). The staff was wonderful most were fluent in english and those who were not and did not understand you they would find someone who did. The drinks were great, we had many "coco locos" they are very tasty, but beware coconuts are natural laxatives. There is a fully stocked mini bar in every room ( I mean fully stock not like some places, there are actually bottles of vodka, rum and tequilla in your room and all the drinks to mix them with). The food was very good, and usually 2 restaurants to choose form at any given time.
The beach was a little dirty at time of the year (like sea weed in the surf and sometimes little pieces of trash) apparently this is a seasonal thing that last a week or two in May due to currents.
The pools are nicely maintained and many to choose from.
This palace resort is not actually on the strip in cancun so if you are seeking nightlife go to sun palace or one of the resorts on the strip. This resort was quiet and was a 15 or so min ride into the city. We did do a bus trip at night with the resort to coco bongos, it was nice but getting a drink (which was included in admission) was not so easy. There are shows going on that you can watch while you drink and dance. This place is no ordinary club it has many levels (kinda narrow on each level) so you can see the shows where ever you are in the club. Very neat I wish they had places like this in the states. We also took a cab to senor frogs, this is a must do. It was one of the funnest nights there (its a toss up between senor frogs and coco bongos), certain nights are busier then others but the entertainment staff knows where all the hot spots are on what nights to go (only down fall is the 15min cab/bus ride).

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

We just returned from a one week trip to the Moon Palace and it was superb! There wasn't one person that waited on us that didn't have a smile on their face and reply to a thank you with "It's a Pleasure". This was our second stay with Palace Resorts and we still cannot get over how unbelievably friendly and accomodating everyone is there. Our room was beautiful and the balcony was quite roomy compared to many other resorts we have stayed in. While we didn't have oceanfront (we were told they are all Penthouse Suites), we had a beautiful view of the immense pool area and could see the Gulf in the distance. Our last trip was to the Cancun Palace and the water there was the beautiful torquoise blue that the Gulf is known for - here the water has some seaweed but it is pretty clear - just not the pretty blue they have in the hotel zone.

We were traveling with our 4 year old son and due to the swine flu scare there occupancy rates were under 10% - leaving it pretty lonely for our little boy. We did take him to the kids club one day and that is a really neat place for the kids and the staff are wonderful. If you have a small child, don't miss the puppet show they hold in the kids club in the evening. He thoroughly enjoyed that and was still talking about it the next day. The kids pool is great for children with slides, a pirate castle and a barrel that dumps water every time it fills up. We spent a lot of time there - more than mom & dad would have liked :)

With the occupancy rate so low, there was no problem finding chairs at the pool or beach. Most days, we had entire sections of the pool to ourselves and were the only people on the beach. The waitresses walk their legs off delivering drinks and snacks and are always pleasant and attentive.

We took out one of the catamarans and had a quick lesson from the person working there - that was a lot of fun! They also have kayaks & equipment for wind surfing. The water was quite calm and we didn't feel the least bit concerned with having our 4 yr old on board with us.

We only did one tour and that was to Isla Mujeres. Our intent was to just stay at the resort when we got there, so we didn't take any of the extra tours they offered. The resort there is very nice but the pool area really isn't large enough to accomodate all of the guests plus everyone they bring over for the excursion. Is was extremely hot and we weren't able to get a chair with an umbrella which made for a long day with a 4 yr old. If you're just adults traveling together or have older children I would recommend this if you are going to do the snorkeling or one of the other tours. But, it wasn't worth wasting a whole day to just see the resort there. The boat ride back to Cancun had great entertainment, with beer and tequila flowing freely. The tour guides definitely know how to liven things up!

The food was very good. We had breakfast at the buffet in the Sunrise section every morning - their fresh fruit cannot be beat! And, they have someone there making pancakes, french toast & waffles MTO and also making eggs or omelets MTO. The choices on the buffet were varied each day and we had no trouble finding something we all liked. The a la carte restaurants were all very nice, the food was good and they all had great atmosphere. The wait staff there were all extremely friendly and attentive as well.

We tried out the night club one night and due to such low occupancy rates there may have been 20 other people there. Most of which were 18-20 year olds. We didn't stay long, but did have a good time while we were there. I'm sure this is a much more "hopping" place when there are more people in the resort. We attended most of the evening shows and found them all to be pretty good. All ran for about an hour beginning at 9pm which gave us something to do after dinner before heading back to the room for the night.

My husband hit the gym a few days and said the equipment was really nice and everything was clean and it great shape.

All in all, we had a wonderful trip and wouldn't hesitate to return!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

Well we only have two days left of our holiday having spent two weeks at the Moon Palace resort. To be honest the reason we picked this resort is that we are avid golf fans (we cannot play well but love the game) and our ideal holiday is to golf every day. We had an all inclusive golf package and the golf did not dissapoint us in any way other than the mosquitos absolutely loved me and the whole of Mexico's mosquitos used to gather at 6am just to have a nibble of me.

We are early risers so we got up every day at 5am and then were teeing off by 6.30. Lovely time to golf not too hot, you get to see the sun rise and your finished by 10.30 and still have the rest of the day. We would then go for breakfast or wait and have an earlier lunch.

We stayed in the Moon Grand not by request but just because that is where they put us., The room and service was superb we had a beautiful sea facing room and it was so lovely to drink our coffee at 5am watching the sea. We did not have room service as we like to dress and go for dinner every evening but we did have wine delivered to our room and that always arrived promptly and always the wine we requested.

We also used the laundry service several times and the laundry came back very efficiently the next day all pressed and if we were not in our room it was hung on the the wardrobe for us. The bathroom has a lovely walk in shower and there is an in room huge jacuzzi but I only used it once, it takes an enourmous amount of water and I prefer to jump in the shower.

All the staff are amazing nothing was too much trouble, the bellboys, waiters, guest services, gardners and maintainence were all superb and everywhere you went they always said hola waved and smiled. We did tip and we always intended to tip but it was not expected and was always recieved with sincerity.

The food was also very good and we tried every restaurant. One of the best things i had was the fish soup in the fish restaurant but I have to say they were all very good in their own way. I would not say the food was outstanding but we found nothing to complain about at all. We also went on the kitchen tour and it is incredible when you know that at full occupancy they can be dealing with 6000 plus guests.

The pools are beautiful at moon palace (the ppol at moon grand is small and quiet it was really lovely) and I know they have entertainment though we did not see any (rising at 5am means an earlier to bed time than most on holiday hehehehe). We enjoyed spending time at all the pools but we also took the opportunity of visiting some of the other palace resorts as there is a free shuttle so we went for lunch and then a swim at beach palace, cancun palace, and sun palace. All were different and we especially liked the roof pools and bar at beach palace though the beach was better at sun palace.

The beach at moon palace is okay it does have seaweed in the sea but we still swam in it and it didnt worry me but I know it can others. We went on one or two trips one we paid for ourseklves which was a speed boat and snorkel trip to a reef. I loved it, the snorkeling was amazing and we even saw a Barracuda, incredible trip. I hated the speed boat but my husband loved it speed freak that he is (he terrified me heheheh). My husband also did the zipline tour and he enjoyed that, I however read my book as I had no desire to hurtle down a wire attached by a clip.

We are a couple in our very ealy 50's and to be honest this size hotel is usually too big for us but with all the Cancun problems the occupancy was very low and therefore everything we wanted to do we did with ease. We could get a space at the beach or the pool whenever we wanted, There was never a queue for a restaurant and service was excellent. We have had an absolute ball and we have wanted for nothing. I am sure we would like to come back though we may pick the quieter times eg not the school holidays as it may well be very different if there are six thousand people here?.

It is true to say that because of the swine flu we were the only english in the resort (we flew with British Airways to Mexico City) most of the guests were American but all excellent people and everyone had time for good morning or good evening which is so lovely.

So thank you Moon Palace for making our holiday so nice. It took us three planes and nearly two days travel to get here but it was certainly worth it. I have posted some pics for you to see but please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like any questions answered.

Go on book your trip im sure you willhave a ball. Annette

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
West mids
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

The best holiday me & my wife have ever had, mexicans are the most friendly people i have ever met.
Food was out of the this world, we stayed here for our honeymoon and we just want to go back as soon as we can as we loved every min of it!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple

Been to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!