“Our Week of R&R” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

You added Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km. 340, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #12 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Mahopac, New York
“Our Week of R&R”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Spent one week at Moon Palace Grand and yes it was grand! We enjoyed the pampering from the moment we arrived. We stepped off the hotel provided transport and were immediately greeted by smiling, welcoming faces. Our concierge Claudia, was extremely helpful. She was like a fairy godmother, we just wished for something and we had it! Spa appointments, parasailing, dolphin swimming, dinner reservations and a trip to Chichen Itza to see the ruins. We enjoyed pool service by Mercedes and she too was wonderful! We were an adult group of 8 and Grand was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,337)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in moon palace grand from 8 to 22 April. Fabulous very large rooms, huge jacazzi bath, massive balcony, lovely garden views. Room service excellent, housekeeping fab.
Ate almost everywhere, food was fab lots of choice our 3 year old loved it all.
Had read a few bad reviews, don't know what they are about this place is fab, we didn't want to leave.
We got married on the 15th on the beach and that was amazing, Joseline the wedding planning made sure it was all perfect, even though there was only 8 of us as they hold some pretty big weddings there. It is very popular for weddings though, with several taking place most days during our stay. Couldn't have asked for a better wedding day though, was perfect and photos are fab.
Pity we couldn't stay 3 weeks, although with all that food and alcohol we may have needed larger clothes after that time. Would definitely go back again.

• Stayed April 2013
Timmins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We just returned from 2 fabulous weeks at the Moon Palace Sunrise. 1st week we had the Grandkids 11 yrs & 25 yrs, they did not want to leave after the 1st week. They enjoyed the Flowrider & Dolphin swim. Great to be on 1st floor, when they left we moved to Conceige Level 3rd floor, it was great being pampered just a bit more.
Enjoyed the Spa & Facials, would be nice it they could add more Spa dollars on the $1500 credits.
$1500 Credits should have more of a variety.
They are in process of building a new Tennis Court & New Kids Centre.
The Teen Lounge is a great new addition for the Young Adults.
They were doing renovations to the rooms & replacing the mattress's with new pillow-top mattresses, nice that they are always up-dating.

We are looking forward to returning with more family & friends.
Would like to stay at the Grand next visit :)

Mansfield, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I took the Jack Nickalus Driving Lesson. My instructor was Josa. The lesson was great! Josa was a very clear in teaching the proper golf grip, set up and swing. He fixed my grip, set up and some swing flaws. I played golf the next few days and hit more fairways than I ever have in my life. I also shot the lowest scores ever while on a vacation. I corrected my daughter's grip from what I learned and she played her best golf ever. I was so impressed that I then took the short game lesson and again Josa fixed my putting stroke and my chipping issues. Hats off to the Jack Nickalus method and to Josa - and instructor who understands the golf swing and seriously wants to help his students improve their golf game.
Also I have benn to Moon Palace three times before and each time the food gets better. Everything tasted so good!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I recently went to Moon Palace with our family for a vacation.
The room situation was messed up.
The room service was incorrect a few times. (resolved with a bottle of chilled champange and appetizer plate when we arrived back to our room for the night)- Nice surprise from the hotel.
OVERALL, this was a great all-inclusive resort and I would recommend this resort to anyone going to Cancun.
The staff is all very friendly, especially the activities crew.
We had many good times with the wait staff, hotel staff and the group who ran the activities.
Special thanks to Rebeca, Tantiana, Enriques, Fabion, Hugo, Animccon, Bella and Balbazar (waiter).
I know I forgot many names.
Thanks y'all for the great week that we spent at your resort.
Dale and Parker!

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean view. I do not have one complaint about the food or service!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Nizuc at the Moon Palace Resort from 9 - 21 Apr 13. We were apprehensive about our holiday because we had read negative reviews about the resort prior to our arrival. Well let me tell you, there is nothing negative about about the Moon Palace and anyone who has anything bad to say about the place needs their head seeing to, the place is paradise. From the moment we arrived the staff made us feel so welcome which set the tone for the rest of our holiday. There is nothing that you could want for in this place, the food was excellent every where that we ate and the wine just kept coming. Throughout our stay the staff were excellent and really took the time to get to know us, the best example thet I can give was our breakfast waiters Hecna and Jorge Manuel. Every morning they would come and greet us by our first names and remember our drinks orders. The entertainment staff were also excellent, in particular Hugo during our Casino night, which was unlike any other casino night we've ever experienced. The room was great and had all the electrical appliances you could need, hairdrier, straightners etc and was stocked up daily with drinks and toiletries. We managed to get quite a few rounds of golf in during our stay using our resort credits, we were able to hire clubs but it's definatley worth paying a little extra to take your own as it can work out to be expensive hiring all the time. One thing that we would say is to make sure that you take plenty of suncream, aftersun etc as it can work out very expensive if you run out and have to stock up from the resort boutique. All in all we had a fabulous time and we're definitley going back next year!!!!

Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

In writing this review I was going through my notes and didn't want to repeat the same thing that had been said in other reviews. So I'm going to touch on some things that stood out to me.

First I make my living has a restaurant manager and I really appreciate good service.The service at this resort is hands down fantastic. Literally some of the best service ever! They go out of there way to please. I know this is repeated information but I can not stress how much I appreciated the outstanding service Palace Employees exhibit. I can not see how anyone could fault such amazing service. A++ for service

ROOM
We had a 3rd floor, king size room in the Luna building of the Sunrise section. This building is North of the Sunrise lobby and in a renovated section of the resort. The rooms are very nice. The new Jacuzzi takes up less room and look better. BUT they are NOT cleaned properly and even after cycling it three times on our own and then finally asking to have it looked at and cleaned it was still not something I was getting in to. The first time we filled it and looked at the bubbles I almost gagged. I'm not sure what the substance was that was floating in there but it was extremely nasty to look at. It only got slightly better with the next three washout and rinse cycles. After they sent someone up to clean it, we filled it and it did look better (no thick brown sticky foam on the bubbles surface) until it drained, and it left a slightly lighter then before brown film on the entire surface. I was never a huge fan of wanting the hot tub in the room but my other half had that has a priority. He has forever changed his mind on in~room hot tubs. I did have hopes that it was going to be clean since it was a brand new Hot tub but it really was appalling to have it be like that..Other then that, the room itself was very pretty. All new window drapes, new duvets,comfortable beds, big comfy pillows, new coffee maker, lots of hangers in the closets, 4 drawer dresser, extra shelving space in the closet, decent amount of counter space both in vanity area and counter. Lots of plug in sockets all over the room. Chi products including Flat-iron, hairdryer, lotion, shampoo, rinse and bubble bath. The shower was nice and big with a bench seat and rain style shower head, only fault was that there was no spray type shower head plus it was built for two but the shower head isn't big enough....
The room includes a mini bar with name brand liquor, 4 types. The refrigerator was COLD, and FULL with 3 types of beer (Heineken was one) Pepsi and Coke products, Juice and Water. Full bottles of wine were left to if you wanted, along with a bottle opener. Champagne was left several times as well. Once even with breakfast.
This is not a "Green" resort. No key card needed for the lights. The a/c does not shut off when you open the doors. Lights are on at night everywhere, including the patio with no way to shut it off.
The a/c in the room had a temp control but it didn't work. It blew on high and cold no matter what unless it was off.
The restaurants were also very well air conditioned. The kept them all nice and cool.

HOUSEKEEPING
Turn-down service was great. They did nice little things like fill your ice bucket, left Hersey candies on the pillows, picked up the room and left extra towels. NICE!
Housekeeping was wonderful too. They do a fantastic job.

ROOM SERVICE
Room service was surprisingly quick for such a large resort.The menu is decent and located in the Palace binder that is in your room. There was also a card (watch what your order, they come as full meals) that they left daily for a room service breakfast menu. Simply fill it out, leave it on your door and right at the specified time they were there with your order. They even set it, up making it look very nice. Place-mats and all :)

FOOD
The food was really good almost everywhere. REALLY GOOD! The only not so great meal we had was at Mono and that could be because we didn't do the table show and arrived later in the evening.
The best dinner I had was at Caribeno. The Food was amazingly good. The service was OUTSTANDING. My servers name was Ernesto and he was just the sweetest man ever and a excellent server. He was by far my fav!! The restaurant is set up very nice for their dinner service,
I preferred the big buffet in the Sunrise lobby for breakfast. Only because it was closer to our room and I am a simpleton, just needed eggs and toast but they had a great selection at all the places you could get breakfast and there were LOTS of places to eat.

BARS
There are lots of bars on this property and they all serve top shelf liquor. I drank grey goose all week, my other half crown royal. For the most part we spent our bar time at the lobby sunrise bar, sky bar (really pretty) and the very cool swing bar. Thomas was a great bartender there and i loved swinging gently in the breeze, drinking delicious drinks looking out over the pools. That bar was a great way to end my evenings.

SPA
We did visit the spa using our resort credits. We did a Couples Hot Stone massage which was 100$usd over our resort credit limit of 300$ max at the Spa. Really it was just OK. I was super hyped to get it done and just slightly disappointed at the massage part of it and a little more so at the "couples" experience. There was NO couple interaction other then the fact that your lying about five feet apart after one hour of separate water treatments. I would have enjoyed it more had I not done the couples part I guess.
We booked through a member of the resort and doing so entitled us to some perks the best turning out to be the "free" Mani, Pedi's and 25 minute massage. WOW! That 25 minute free massage was way better then the one I had at the spa. The manicure and pedicure were very nice. I had one lady do all three of my appointments. Her name was Regina and she was very professorial and did a fantastic job on all three things but her massage was out of this world. My other half said the same things about the ladies he had too. Only name he could remember was Dora though and most likely only because i took a picture. He is Not a TA junkie, yet ;)

We visited Sun palace, Beach palace and Isla palace on day trips from Moon.

To get to Isla we took the included members Tour, which you can also do with resort credits.
While others shopped and swam with the dolphins we went off on our own.We rented a Golf cart and spent the entire day exploring Isla. We stopped at the Palace there for lunch and drinks. It is lovely there, both the Resort and Island.
I have notes to review things we did there.

We visited Cancun twice. Once with a taxi and it was 60$ usd round-trip from Moon to Sun Palace. While in Cancun, we used the Mayab bus to travel around the strip. 1$ pp per ride, CHEAP and EASY!!
I will say that Moon was farther away from actual Cancun then I had expected. Even with research I guess i just wasn't grasping the distance. Its almost a 30 minute drive from Moons Sunrise lobby to Sun Palaces front door.
We also used the Palace provided transport to Cancun one day to. It worked out just fine and after using it I was mad I paid 60$ to take a taxi a few days before. I was under the impression that it was a pain to use. I found it easy, just show up! It wasn't has quick has a taxi but it did save 60$

Cancun was really nice. The water color, Isla mall and both Palaces thoroughly impressed me. I have made several trips down and had never seen Cancun until this trip. Most likely wouldn't stay there though. I like resorts that have more then just one or two big tall buildings even though the beaches are fabulous.

GROUNDS
Which leads to me the size of Moon. It is HUGE and they are making it even bigger....uhh I really am not sure how I feel about that. I knew Moon was huge so i was not overly surprised by the size of the resort. What did surprise me is how little shade there is on the walks between the the main parts that make up MP. The main path that mostly runs along the beach connecting the three parts is insane in just how little shade there is available for that walk. It's a good mile end to end and unless your weaving in and out of buildings, tripling your walk time, your in the blazing sun the entire time and even when weaving through buildings there is very little shade in the courtyards between building. They do offer transport via a huge bus that goes from lobby to lobby but it always must have been that I had just missed that the one that was just there, the waits for the buses seemed to take forever.

They also have really nice 8 passenger carts that transport people, mostly just out to the golf course and the restaurants and spa that sit out there. Very few times was it offered to go elsewhere or to get around. The landscaping is not like the resorts farther south (it is a little bit in the grand area) it is very pretty but personally I missed the jungle feel that this resort lacks. I really missed the shade.

POOLS
The pools were nice, not to cold, not to warm and plenty of shade huts and umbrellas around. The pool service was really good. There are several pools around. The Grand had some very pretty infinity pools. One thing that I noticed though was that none of the pools are deep. I think the deepest pool I found was 5ft. Which is fine but I was assuming there was some that were deeper, don't know why :)

Also the Maps they give you when you check in are current but the Maps around the resort don't even have Moon Grand on them. No wonder people talk of hidden pools and restaurants. That can be very confusing. I personally didn't carry the folded one they gave me around, so I found the fact that the Grand was missing on all the other maps annoying. They do have a App on itunes but it wasn't good for much except keeping track of resort credits and appointments (spa, tours) while that was nice, a Map and messaging feature would be fabulous. The Grand Palladium had a great app, that's the type of app Moon needs, especially given it's size.

Resort Credits
We had no problems spending our resort credits. It was very easy to do using the vacation planners. We were able to get the times and days we wanted on the Dolphin swim, zip lines, spa appointments and Tours. Even after spending half of our credits on the Spa, Dolphin swim and zip line tour we had 750$ left.(some tours are included when booking as or through a member so we didn't have to use resort credits to visit Isla Or Tulum) We used them on two tequila packages, a spa facial package, cigars and wine to take home. We still had 91$ left. Our final bill at check out with the tax on the used credits and the extra money we spent for the (non)Couples massage was 222$ really decent considering all we did and all we took home.

This is getting long, we packed a lot into this vacation. we did tons of stuff most of which I haven't even touch on, in truth we only spent two full days not leaving the resort but I really enjoyed our vacation overall.
Again the service was amazing, the food was fabulous and Moon Palace come very close to the top of the chain for me in these two categories.

BEACH
Do your research and the beach won't surprise you. It's beautiful to look at and walk on but Moon don't call themselves a Golf and Spa resort for nothing. Simply put the beach is great for sand volleyball, basking in the sun, playing in the sand because the quality of the sand is great, baby powder soft and always kinda cold even when the sun is blazing down. The color of the water is great, even the clarity but the water don't move, so the water don't sweep everything (like Seagrass) out to sea. It sits and grows and grows and grows. We did not get in the water at Moon. Walking down the beach in either direction after the resort ends is a sad state of affairs. It was really gross. Not at all a Problem of Palace but just saying. running on the beach was not the wonderful experience I wanted.The mile or so that Moon sits on is fine but after that it was terrible with garbage and on one side a mountain of seaweed that was removed at some time to some mysterious place. I assume that was Palace and that was where they dumped the seaweed, until it accumulated to much and then???
So I am not trying to be negative, just pointing out things I was surprised by....

We had a great vacation. We will most likely try another Palace in the future. This being our second visit to a Palace resort. The first being to ASP (One of MY all time favorite places) both were very great vacations. I do want to see Moon Palace again in the Future to see just how ridiculously big the place gets but I can't see myself staying at MP in particular again. It was great for lots of things. We really did thoroughly enjoy ourselves, I just need a tad more shade if the walk from one end to another is over a mile....

Happy travels

Room Tip: Stay South of Sunrise lobby, Nizuc has TINY patios. Grand is nicer
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!