“Chaotic & Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

You added Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km. 340, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cinco de Mayo 40% Off
Ranked #14 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
“Chaotic & Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is my third time traveling to Cancun and first experience with the Moon Palace/Palace Resorts. From the very start this vacation was disappointing. Allow me to try to best summarize our experience.

1) Check in was chaotic. First, we were traveling with a large party (7 couples). Our reservation was made together and a specific area of the resort was requested. Not only was our original request not honored upon check in, we were split all over the resort with more than a 25 minute walk from one room to the next. There are 3 places to check in on this resort and I was sent to 2 before I could get a straight answer. It took two and a half hours to get it sorted and then we had to wait until 4:30PM for our rooms to be serviced and ready for us. I originally thought possibly this could have been due to our party size but then encountered two other families that requested 2 rooms side by side that had had a similar experience.
2) The $1500 credit comes with a sales pitch. On the morning after we arrived, we received 3 phone calls before 9AM requesting us to attend a meeting to learn more about our credit. Our intention for the vacation was to upgrade the room and use the spa and golf course. We did not want to sit through a presentation. We told the folks on the phone that we wished to decline the invitation. Later that day we went to make our reservations at the spa and for golf. Only to learn that the prices for these services are grossly over priced ($200+ for an 80 minute massage) and you can only use $300 of the credit at the spa. In addition, there are service fees associated with the use of the credit that you are required to pay out of pocket. Additionally, club rental is not included. So here we are thinking we have $1500 to spend but if you use it all you will be out almost $200 in service fees and $50 each time you play golf. Not only were we irritated at this point, we were again approached by another agent to discuss how else we could use our points. This time we signed something that said we did not wish to sit through a presentation. So after declining three times via phone and signing something, we still received 2 additional calls to attend this presentation during our stay.
3) Twice my husband and I were interrupted unexpectedly while using the whirlpool hot tub. The first time the maid didn't even knock. She just walked in, saw us in the tub and walked out. The second time the staff knocked three times, saying something in spanish we couldn't understand so my husband answered the door and it was a waiter bringing a complimentary dessert. Its an all inclusive resort, everything is complimentary!!
4) The entertainment staff is obnoxious. The are continuously making noise in the back ground. They were constantly interrupting us when we were trying to play our own group activities to the point my husband had to ask them to leave. The worst was the guy running the Florider (simulating surf machine). He was constantly going up on the machine, showing off and taking twice as long as anyone else. It would be one thing if he was tying to show us how to use it or assisting others but I saw him do that once.
5) The beach was a huge disappointment. Covered in a mess of seaweed. It wasn't even pleasant to walk on.
6) The food was fine. Typical all inclusive food where the buffets had the same thing everyday. Several of the pool side and main restaurant buffets offered the same thing so even though they say you have 13 restaurants to choose from there are really only 5 different menus.
7) Spa was ok. I had expected a lot more for the price I paid. The hydrotherapy room was relatively small and I felt our group of 8 made it feel very crowded. Additionally, my service was for 80 minutes but the technician only gave me a 50 minute massage. Everyone was very kind about it and refunded me the difference between a 50/80 minute massage but still put a damper on the day.
8) Room was nice. It was spacious, good amenities and the whirlpool is lovely when not being interrupted.

The only real saving grace about this place was the wait service. From the pool to the dining room to the guys who drove around the shuttles, everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful.

Overall, I just felt the value for what I paid was lacking. I definitely need to do more research before another trip back to Cancun as it will not be including a palace property.

Room Tip: The Sunrise tower is the better location but nothing guarantees location as we found out in our chec...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,832)
  • Hebrew first
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Third stay at the Grand Moon, presidential suite and all inclusive golf can't be beat. Over 20 years visiting Cancun, best aspect overall at all the Palace Resorts is the staff. This year I had the pleasure of meeting Sergio David at the Cribeno, he was our server for breakfast almost every morning and by the time we left he had become my favorite person at the resort. Always smiling, always great service and wonderful help perfecting my Spanish. Muchas gracias Sergio!

Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

It had been several years since my return. Took my sister to get away Jan 8 - 15, 2013. I was impressed on how well the facility has been maintained. The service is always top notch. They all make you feel welcomed and glad to be of service.

The pools are great. Well maintained and have a great selections of areas to either watch or be by yourself.

We loved the new Dolphin area. That had to been one of our top events on this trip. It was great to be in a space that is designed for this and the dolphins were really well taken care of and it was a blast!!

We go to do nothing. If you want to keep yourself busy, there is so much to do. The Guest Services will set you up on anything and everything. We like to just relax by the ocean or the pool, read, nap, have a cocktail or two, get up and eat, then go read some more.

The only slight comment that would be in the negative would be the food. Although very plentiful and many restaurants, we just never had anything that made us go "WoW". Now mind you, some time just simple items can do that. I just found a lot of the meats with heavy sauces; chicken is so much different than that of the states; Plenty of pork, but seemed to be over cooked at all the locations. They really work on pleasing everyone palate of tastes, and I don't want to sound too critical, just our take on it.

Come to Moon Palace to get way from the noise and the hustle. If you want more night life, then Beach Palace might be your liking which is located on the Hotel strip in Cancun. However, you will love the rooms, the air conditioning and oh the Spa... I forgot the Spa... Go to the Spa. That in itself is worth the price of the trip!

Overall, I give it a 9 out of 10. If your looking to invest money, this would be the place to do it at. For my return, I am pleased.

Room Tip: We stayed at the new location Incize - (spelling) but I love the Sunrise. More pool, more restaura...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I just attended a conference being held at Moon Palace. Overall it was a great trip. We stayed in a Presidential Suite and I don't know if I would have liked any other room from what I had heard from my friends. Our room was clean and our housekeeping staff was GREAT!!! The guys delivering room service were very nice and very fast. We didn't have hot water our last morning and they had someone up within 5 minutes to fix it.
My husband played golf and the course was nice. The greens were well kept and lots of wildlife on the course. We found the best food at the golf course and spa, well worth the trip over. The bartender inside the club house was the BEST!!! Getting back to the hotel was a challenge, they golf cart took us to the wrong lobby and refused to take us to ours so we had to get out and wait another 30 minutes for a shuttle. Not to happy with that.
We really only ate at two of the buffets and they were just average. Try the pizza place at Sunrise good pizza and good service.
They staff were all very friendly and helpful. They are doing a lot of remodeling and the lobby was a mess. I didn't spend that much time up there so it wasn't a bother.
Overall it was a great time. We look forward to next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in an ocean front Presidential Suite and it was well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Effingham, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at Moon Palace resort with a large group (350+) people. Everything was very organized and pleasant. Food was EXCELLENT, staff was friendly, and rooms/grounds were beautiful. SO glad we went to Moon Palace for a 1st time all inclusive vacation. It made the decision to go on another vacation easy.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Anaheim, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I recently stayed at Moon Palace Resort, Sunrise side with my fiancé January 7-13, 2013. The resort is stunning and the staff awesome. The food is wonderful, the pools are beyond relaxing. This was my second time at the resort. I booked thru Costco that included included air tix, transportation from the airport to the resort and all inclusive stay. Costco is the way to go.

We got the 1500 room credit and used some of the credits to upgrade to ocean view. It was definitely worth it.

But aside from the resort and staff, the presentation was by far a horrible experience. Anyone that writes a review and says its no pressure is not being truthful at all. They pretty much will not take no as an answer and each time I said no they sent out another salesman to try and convince me to buy. After I agreed to buy a package (wish I hadn't) I slept on it and decided to cancel a couple hours later.

I wrote an email then went to their offices to confirm the cancellation. Their finance manager (Christina) was extremely rude and admitted she received my cancellation email but would not explain why she never responded. I simply asked to leave the palace elite folder but she demanded I meet with a sales manager so they could again try and get me to buy. I told her I had already waisted too much vacation time and just wanted to cancel and get me $1000 deposit back but she refused to help me. So I ended up leaving the folder in the room because she refused to take it.

*******DO NOT GO TO THE PRESENTATION******* It was by far the worst experience of my life. I have travelled all over the world at several resorts and this left a horrible taste in my mouth. They still haven't contacted me regarding refunding my money. I'm writing this to hopefully save anyone that horrible experience.

Please pass this info along to any friends or family you know going there. And feel free to email me if you have any questions tdepdog@hotmail.com.

Lorenzo

Oshawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was a second time at the Moon Palace and have stayed at many vacation 5 star resorts., this is our first time returning to a resort. We returned because (a) we loved the golf and had an unlimited golf package, great value (b) food, facilities and service were excellent. Our holiday was celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. Rosario in Public Relations was exceptional in getting us dinner reservations and having a romantic evening with special service planned for us at the restaurant as well as champagne and a special cake delivered to our room, many thanks Rosario, we love you!!!
At the golf course, Edgar and his staff ensured our tee off was on time, that our clubs (that had been stored) were loaded on our cart and a cooler with cold drinks loaded on our cart. The course on-site was in wonderful condition (twenty seven-hole Jack Nicklaus designed course) as was the Riviera Course (that we also had access to).
The a-la-carte restaurants provided exceptional service, especially at the Trattoria (Italian Restaurant at the Spa), we has first class and personal service from the Captain (Roberto) and Miguel (the Waiter). The service at the a-la-carte Mexican restaurant (Los Caporales)at Nizuc was also excellent (ask for the Mayan Coffee, great show and delicious).
The night porter (Sebastian) was very pleasant and accommodating in picking us up early (sometimes right from our room) to take us to the Clubhouse for early tee offs (we tipped him and were grateful for getting us there before the shuttle started in the morning). Incredibly friendly staff and we were always greeted with a friendly smile and hello either on the golf course, around the pool or anywhere on site.
Many thanks,
Jim and Shannon

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!