“Moon Palace - a true 5 star resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

Save Saved
You added Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Km 340, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Best Rate Guarantee
Ranked #11 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Edmonton, Canada
“Moon Palace - a true 5 star resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I decided to get married destination style and after a lot of research we selected to do it at the Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort. We had 45 people come with us and we all had the best time!!

I am a seasoned traveller and have stayed at 5 star resorts all over the world, I have to say, Moon Palace was my favourite place thus far!

The food is AMAZING! It doesn't really matter which restaurant you go to - buffet, a la carte, or reservations only they are all good. Some of our favourites were - bougambillia in sunrise, brazillian steakhouse in nizuc, and the italian restaurant at the golf course.

For those who are complaining about the resort credits, our entire group used them without issue - its free money - USE IT!!! Just have your street smarts about you, they might try to upgrade you, make sure you know the charges before you agree if you want to do it. We didn't upgrade anything and used the following resort credits
-ziplining tour
-isla tour
-snorkelling tour
-romantic dinner on the beach
-SPA - we used it for my hair and make-up for the wedding but most people used it on massages and raved about how good they were.
-golf

For the resort credits they do try to talk to you, we just told them we were very busy and went to the desks on our own time to book. The only thing you are responsible for is the tax, which is fair enough and tip if you want.

There is tons to do at the Moon Palace - we went to the Arcade one day and had the best time, there are lots of pools - make sure to go on a hot day though because they are not heated. We went to the sky bar and Noir night club.

At the restaurants, ask for a Mayan Coffee - it is quite the show!

The service is outstanding, all the people we encountered were friendly and happy to help us in any way that they could.

As for a wedding, I would highly recommend the Moon Palace - they decor options, venue options and extras are unmatched and very reasonable when compared to other hotels.

The only downside is that the beach at the moon palace is just ok - it is soft sand until you go a bit into the water. The benefit is that if you just wanted to lay on the beach, it is very long and secluded. If you wanted a swim day - you are able to take the shuttle to the other palace resorts for free and use their amenities - go to the BEACH PALACE - better beach for your beach day, but moon palace is much bigger and better to stay at IMO

The rooms are great - all have a 4 person Jacuzzi

Room Tip: Sunrise section - the largest section - getting renovated, so soon it should be the best section. Ca...

10,065 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,774)
Platte City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at Moon Palace several times over the last eight years. Every time we always have a wonderful time because of the excellent service food and accommodations. This last time we would like to thank the following employees at the Moon Grand Olympic Pool for such a wonderful experience. Alfredo, Alejandro (Alex), Elena HoHo, Maria Mercedes, Claudia and Vicente. They made our days of lounging around an experience of a lifetime.

For anyone who enjoys five star service, food and accommodations, the Palace Resorts are for you. We took two friends with us this time as our guest, and they were blown away with the detail’s that the palace resorts provide. The food is always amazing at any of the 13 restaurants to choose from. It doesn’t matter which one you choose, the food is always incredible along with the five star service. The service is the same, whether it is morning, afternoon or night. You always have between two and five waiters taking care of you during your dining experience. It is absolutely amazing. As my friend puts it, “It’s the Bomb”.

Palace just remodeled their night club, and if you enjoy music and dancing this is the place for you. The sound, lights and service is the best. I would like to thank Gustav the manager for providing such an amazing experience for my wife and I. We spent two very late nights dancing the night away. The club has no set closing hours, so you literally can stay until the wee hours of the morning.

This is definitely a must visit for all.

Daniel & Patricia Tylski

Room Tip: If you are traveling with four or more, the presidential rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Haywards Heath, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here from 14/11/12 - 28/11/12 in room 7325 in the Nizuc Section. My partner has been before but it was my first time. My first impressions were good, the hotel and its grounds are beautiful and well kept & the staff are great. Check in was quick and easy and we were taken to our room within minutes of arriving, which after a 10.5 hour flight was great.

Our room was lovely, nice big bed, the obligatory jacuzzi bath and the minibar and optics, you do not need anything else as far as I am concerned!

The pool areas are all lovely, I do think they should have an adults only pool as wherever we seemed to go and sit we always ended up with kids right in front of us splashing. We have no problems with kids at all but my fiance has hearing aids with cannot get wet and most people arund the pool, like everyone these days either had mobile phones, kindles, iPods etc that also cannot get wet. Some parents were not happy when we politely asked children to move to an area where there was no one sitting but hey we are all on holiday and we all want to relax and not worry about getting our things broken! We were not the only ones with these issues, a few people all said the same and had complained previously to the hotel. So a little understanding from parents would be great!

The buffet restaurant was nice, repetative food as mentioned by others but you can always find something to eat. We enjoyed the Brazilian restaurant at Nizuc, but Los Caporales we thought was awful. We had to wait for a table, which was fine with us but when we sat down we were bought our appetisers and a drink we didnt order straight away, with no opportunity to order a drink we actually wanted. 5 minutes later our soup arrived and the 5 minutes later our mains. We were in there no longer than 25 minutes. This was purely because a lot of people wanted to eat in there and they wanted to fit everyone in. We didnt touch our drinks and barely touched our main courses as we had literally had our appetisers and soup in such quick succession! It was a shame as what we did manage tasted lovely but you just cant eat that quick!
The restaurant at the Grand was lovely (El caribeno) we ate there a few times as we both really enjoy seafood. The Saffron Mussel soup is divine and the waiters & waitresses are excellent.
We also ate at the Oriental at the Golf Club which I also highly recommend. The food was absolutely wonderful there and the service was brilliant. And we werent rushed!

The entertainment on the Nizuc side I'm sorry to say is absolutely rubbish. The 2 shoes that we thought were good were the Rock Show and the Bellydance show.
The Michael Jackson show at Sunrise is okay. Better than some of the others that they put on! I know they all work very hard at these shows and I feel bad for saying that they are not very good but I am sure it will improve.

The resort credits are great, we used them on golf and at the Spa, you have to pay the tax on what you spend but we basically got 2 rounds of golf and a manicure & pedicure for approx £60 which is a bargain.
The excursions included on the resort credit are not fantastic and you are limited to days that you go and most of them you have to take extra money for various things so it may be better to book these with your tour operator and pay for them.
We did find everything that wasnt included in your all inclusive package hideously expensive. They have a photographer who brings Toucans & Iguanas etc to the pool area. I had a photo done with the Iguana and when we went to enquire about buying a picture it was something like $10 - $15 for one photo! (You can buy on resort credit but not sure if its worth it) They will come and take photos for you of yourself and your partner or your family so I guess if its a special occasion or a family holiday it probably is worth it.

My biggest tip would to be to take Peso's instead of dollars. The exchange rate is more favourable and you get more for your money.

The one thing thing that we noticed and some other English people that we spoke to noticed also was that English customers get treated 2nd to the Americans, and I mean this as no offence to our friends across the pond, I have American family so I have no issues with them whatsoever but it was clear that they got the preferential treatment from the hotel and the English customers came 2nd in terms of service etc.

My partner who had been before said that lots of things had changed at the hotel. Prices, food quality and the attitudes of staff. He was disappointed that it was not as he remembered it.

All in all we got what we went for which was two weeks of sunshine and relaxation. I enjoyed my visit very much but next time we visit Mexico we would not stay at the Moon Palace. However, I would recommend it to anyone who it looking for relaxation and a stress-free holiday.

Room Tip: Nizuc section has no works going on and The Grand section looks lovely. Sunset section is larger, ha...
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Great place! We had a great time at the Sushi Bar watching the moon each night and Miriam is the best server! We also had fantastic servers in the main restaurant in Macedonio and Rafael. These people deserve a pat on the back for excellent service!!

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Wow, where to start! :) We've stayed in many "5 star All inclusive" resorts but this really was a resort worthy of that claim. From start to finish, Moon Palace delivers in every way.

Myself and my partner have high expectations generally when holidaying and very few resorts impress, let alone meet our expectations but I can honestly say that Moon Palace was fantastic. The staff were lovely, always cheerful and ready to help. The place was always clean and our room was lovely - 1st time we'd had a 4 man jaccuzzi in our bedroom and from what I could see, this was fairly standard issue in most rooms!

The mini bar in the room was restocked daily and had a set of international brand optics. I'm not a big drinker but thought that was a nice touch. Room service was also inclusive and the selection available was very comprehensive (though I didn't have need to sample it myself!). The restaurants were excellent, particularly the waiter service ones and it was easy to forget you were in an all inclusive resort - it often felt like we were leaving without paying! Not like the cheap buffets I've found in most all inclusive packages, the food here was excellent in every sense - variety, quantity and quality!

Entertainment was comprehensive though to be fair, we tended to have eaten so much and were so chilled out, that after dinner, a stroll around the grounds and I was ready for a bath and my bed! The whole ambience was chilled out and romantic but activities and plenty of trips were available if you wanted to get out and do. There were 2 good gyms and 2 beautiful spas too so you could really spoil yourself. The gyms even ran a comprehensive timetable of classes (yoga, pilates, spin, aerobics etc).

I could go on forever about this place as there were many great features but suffice to say, this is an excellent choice and I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone. We're hoping to return for Xmas 2013 and that's something I've never been inclined to do before - I figure there are so many places to try but this place really was fabulous, it deserves a 2nd visit - if not just to try the remaining restaurants we didn't get chance to visit (we had dinner in a different place every night and still didn't hit them all!).

Hope this has been useful for you. If you visit, I hope you have as good a time as we did :)

Room Tip: Rooms close to the main lobbies tend to be a little noisy, owing to entertainment being outdoors but...
North Ridgeville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Nizuc Moon Palace resort is our favorite vacation destination. The food, entertainment, and rooms are excellent. Most important is the service, everyone did everything possible to ensure we enjoyed our stay. We especially enjoyed the Catholis Mass offrered each Sunday morning at the on site chappel. Our special thanks to waiters Jorge Baas at the El Manglar Restaurant; Roberto, Yesmin, Angel at the Delfines pool and Restaurent. A special thanks to Valentin for the great service at our beach dinner, Also Raquel, Manager at Arrecifes Restaurent, Chef Rutilio, and waiter Efrain for making our Anniversary dinner special. I recommend Moon Palace for everyone looking for a special fun place to spend a vacation.
Dave and Alice Cameron

Room Tip: Nizuc side of Moon Palace is quieter and more laid back, Sunrise side is more active. Rooms at Nizuc...
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked Moon Palace about 8 months ago having considered a number of options for our annual winter golf holiday in the sunshine. Our main criteria was access to golf, climate, good selection of restaurants and a big enough resort to keep us entertained. We were also looking for good value for money, but with a good level of quality (not Michelin star) and our expectations were therefore exceeded in every way. We also love Mexico because the people have a good sense of fun, are open and we always feel welcome!

So, first of all the golf : As part of our golf package we had access to 3 different golf courses - Playacar, Riviera and Moon Palace. We played all of these and they are all excellent quality courses. We found the facilities at Moon Palace Golf to be the best. The refreshment stops were excellent and there was absolutely no shortage of drinks, sandwiches, fruit, pastries, nuts etc... etc... even some cocktails..! The staff at these stops always chatty and friendly...

Overall, all the staff at the Golf club were excellent, very polite and helpful and were very good at managing very busy periods when there were a large number of players wanting to tee off during the early part of the day. They managed these situations with a great sense of humour and skill.
The club house staff were also great when we turned up for post golf drinks and snacks. A special thanks goes to WILBURT (apellido unknown) but he is also known as Willy and gave Steve the nickname of Tigre!...

The one thing relating to golf that we thought could be improved is the transportation. We waited for lengthy periods on a couple of occasions during our first week for a buggy to take us to the Golf and Spa.

Sunrise:
We thought we were staying at Nizuc, but were placed at Sunrise - and we soon realised that was a great result! The room had a view of the ocean - it was a quiet area and whilst the rooms are generally in need of updating, we had no complaints about the room.

The pools at Sunrise were fab, very quiet and mostly I was in the pool on my own. There is a small kiddies area which is great, but we'd realised after the first week that we'd not even noticed any children around....although there were. So the layout of the pool area appears to have been very well designed to suit everyone. (Unlike another hotel we had stayed at a few years ago in Cancún).

The swing bar is fab too....one of my favourite places. This leads me on to Jorge who during our first week worked at the bar and then moved on to the Lobby bar as part of a general changeover. He was an excellent barman and had the right attitude, sense of humour and personality to engage with everyone and create a holiday atmosphere. Thank you Jorge.

The SkyBar at Sunrise was also a favourite every night for a pre-dinner drink. Once again fab service and good atmosphere....

Yes, the renovation works had increased over the 2 week period at Sunrise, and I can understand some people may find it inconvenient whilst on their holidays. But I have to say that mostly this was indoors around the lobby area, and where possible, we spent most of our time away from this area. And on a positive note, if you are a member of the Palace resorts or planning on returning, improvements can only be a good thing, and we could see how in the longer term it will benefit customers.

Restaurants:

We did not manage to eat in all of the 12-15 restaurants in the complex, but here is our review of the ones we think are worth a mention:
Fragata- One of our favourite places to eat. The steaks were absolutely stunning. We ate there 4 times overall. Our waiter was Javier Barra and our very special thanks go to Javier for going the extra mile (he brought us a bottle of Sidra from Cancún). We had a lot of chats with Javier and he should be recognised for his kindness and professionalism.

MoMoNoHaNa - Lovely food here and excellent efficient service. Sometimes a bit too quick and staff a little distant, but overall very good - we ate here 3 times!

Arrecifes -A good example of a Brazilian Churrascaria. But needed to go there hungry. Service was excellent and once again the staff took time to talk to us.

Gondola- Good buffet food. Nice atmosphere although due to the size of the dining area (being so huge) it always felt empty, we did always eat quite late. The ceiling decor is stunning. Good service.

Caribeño - Excellent service. One of the more contemporary restaurants in the hotel. The chef and the manager even asked us after the meal for our views on service, menu, wine and overall ambience.....

There were a number of other places, including the two recommended restaurants at the Golf Club.....we are saving those for our next visit. But overall, there is soooo much choice, we couldn't complain and for the all inclusive package we bought, it exceeded our expectations.

Entertainment - The shows we saw compared very well with other resorts we have been to over the years! Particularly impressed with Latin American dance, Madonna and Fire shows. The nightclub was also great.......very trendy!

We would finally like to thank Irais and her team (Gaspa) in Relaciones Públicas for their attentiveness and professionalism.

Hope this helps !

Thanks

Stephie and Steve

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!