“Gym, pool and beach activities.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

You added Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km. 340, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cinco de Mayo 40% Off
Ranked #14 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Reno
“Gym, pool and beach activities.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We visited at the end of Nov thru the first week of Dec. When we are traveling without kids, we like to workout either at the gym, pool, or beach. Play hard so we can eat and drink.

It was a bummer that the biggest gym in the Sunrise was closed for remodeling (Nov/Dec). My wife was lucky to do private Pilates reformer with Jonathan (Nizuc gym) but the size of the Nizuc gym is limited. I just used the treadmill and my own routines.

The Sunrise temporary gym was in the old teen arcade and the concrete area nearby. Not good for the feet or joint impact to jump or dance on concrete. My wife tried Zumba and it was hard without having rhythm or jiggle, but Neli was very patient and encouraging.

The flow rider (surfing activity) was pretty interesting and challenging for a non- surfer. The resort just opened the Dolphin Discovery onsite (1st wk of Dec 2012) but we didn't swim with the dolphins this time as the kids stayed at home.

The other way she stayed active was water volleyball, table tennis, and water aerobics. Entertainment staff of the Grand: Alfredo, Alex and Alonso were awesome. It was always good fun and funny times with the banter. I really enjoy sand volleyball, but it was not always easy to round up players from the calmer, more serene guests at the Grand side. Once I had a doubles game with just the 3 staff members.

The staff work hard to please the guests and they have become a welcoming vacation family. In all honesty, I'm sure the fact that we are Diamond members, have been repeat guests, and know some of the staff by name go a long ways to ensure a smooth and pampering experience. Diamond members have access to designated concierges (Moises, Jose Felipe, Paulina & a few others) so that we don't have to ever deal with too many reps or agents etc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,832)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My family and I traveled to Moon Palace in late November 2012. Having been to the Grand Velas previously, I had done my research and knew ahead of time that the MP was not up to the same standards. No worries - we had booked through a Member and had gotten a very good rate for a Presidential Suite (half the price of what we would have paid for just one room at the Grand Velas for same time period), so we knew how to manage our expectations.

Overall, I would say that the Grand Velas can be considered a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons on an all-inclusive plan, and the Moon Palace would be like a Hilton or Sheraton on an all-inclusive plan. So still pretty nice, but obviously not five stars.

As we had booked through a Member, transportation to / from the airport was included. This meant sharing a van with other passengers. Not a problem ... except when the driver tried to squeeze in another family with us, which would have meant that our 2-year-old would have had to sit on my lap. And the new family's toddler would have had to sit on one of his parent's laps. Needless to say, both sets of parents said no to that request. The driver and coordinator were polite and didn't seem to care that we told them this was not a good idea. They were both polite, and they work for a third-party vendor company anyway so can't blame Palace Resorts for that hiccup.

The resort is only @ 10-15 minutes from the airport. We stayed in the Grand section, and before arrival, I had requested a suite with a view. Unfortunately, we did not get a view of any kind, but we didn't let that ruin our vacation. We arrived at the resort @ 4 pm but only one of the rooms was ready. The suite consists of two bedrooms (one with king bed and the other with two double beds) and a living / dining room in between. I think total area is @ 2400 square feet so quite large. We put our luggage in the one room that was ready, and the kids changed into swimsuits and we headed out to the pool by Los Tacos right away.

The pools are COLD! I don't think any pools are heated, with the exception of the pool in front of the main buffet restaurant at the Grand. The kids still managed to have a good time, though, although there was a lot of chattering teeth when they came out for a bite to eat or to rest.

The suite was lovely, albeit a bit dated, especially the furniture in the living room. Flat-screen TVs were in all three rooms, and probably could have been a bit bigger, considering the size of the rooms. The room with the king bed had a great walk-in closet and large bathroom / shower space. The other room with the double beds had a regular closet (still plenty of space) and a smaller bathroom, but it was enough for two tween girls and a toddler. Housekeeping was not great in the beginning - we found discarded cigarette butts out on one of the balconies and my husband had to alert them to the fact (after two days) that it was out there so they could clean them up. Guess they never made it out that way. The first full day we were there, they did not clean the rooms until @ 2-3 pm, but we just asked if they can clean them a bit earlier since the baby likes to nap after lunch, and they promptly did so before lunch everyday after that.

Food - Not the best at this resort. If you are expecting gourmet fare but still want to be at an all-inclusive, head to the Grand Velas. At the MP, it would be akin to eating at a Ruby Tuesday or TGI Fridays for most meals. So certainly, the food is not terrible, but also not worth writing home about. Supposedly, the two restaurants at the golf course are the best on the property, but we were not terribly impressed. Don't get me wrong - the food was quite good - but certainly not THAT great, considering the reviews I had read. Service was hit-and-miss .. while the servers certainly knew the rules (serving from right side, serving ladies first, etc.), they were not overly friendly. Service at other restaurants were pretty good, with the best being at the buffet in Nizuc and the Italian buffet at Sunrise. We were not impressed with the service for breakfast at the Grand buffet - everyone seemed rushed and didn't smile that much. Food at the buffets were surprisingly good for being buffet food, and when traveling with three children, it was very convenient for us and a nice option for family meals.

We also ordered room service at least once a day, if not for breakfast, then dinner for the kids or a late-night snack for us. Food always arrived promptly, and was of decent quality. Menu is limited, but do note there is a special menu for dinner hours from a couple of the specialty restaurants. I did not find this out until our last day, and by then, it was too late.

Activities - We didn't do much on this trip except relax around the pool most days. My husband went to play golf one day and said the course was nice, although they may have booked too many people and there were delays on quite a few holes. He and I went to the spa one day, and there was a mix-up so the couples massage we had booked turned into regular massages for two (in separate rooms) and the receptionist did not seem to care that the mix-up was on their part. She was not apologetic and just told us it was too late to cancel - when we didn't even mention cancelling! We went ahead and got the services; it was OK. Again, not the Grand Velas, but actually better than what I got at the Bellagio in Vegas.

The kids really enjoyed this trip, what with the pools and beach and activities. We headed over to Sunrise one day to check out the kids pool; the kids also had a blast in the much larger pools on that side, as opposed to the smaller (and quieter) pools on the Grand side. The beach was much, much nicer than I had expected. Yes, there is seaweed, but it was pretty clean and lovely to take long walks from one end of resort to another. There was no smell at all from the beach / ocean. The newly opened teen club was a lot of fun and has good variety of entertainment available. The new nightclub (NOIR) was fun; it was not that packed but they can play better music. They were playing some lame stuff that you couldn't really dance to. The Sky Bar was wonderful for drinks and conversation with friends after a late dinner, as was the rooftop bar at the Grand, even though that was booked a few nights during our week-long stay, due to private parties / weddings.

Like others have said, the resort is MASSIVE, and it's not really our style and so we were hoping the transportation system would be flawless. This was not to be. We had to wait quite a while for buses / golf carts most times, and even then, information provided to clients varied. We once asked for a golf cart to take us from Grand to Sunrise, only to be told that was not possible; we had to wait for a bus. The group after us asked the same thing and they were provided a cart. My husband complained to PR about that, and they apologized profusely b/c that is not how it is supposed to be, but what can you do. Other transportation issues - one time, three buses in a row arrived / left at the Grand lobby, all headed to Sunrise or Nizuc, but not the golf course. And this was at dinnertime, when lots of people are headed to the golf course to dine at one of the two specialty restaurants. So by the time the third bus got there and the (by now) large crowd of people saw it still wasn't the right one, some folks got pretty angry. Luckily, we had arrived when the third bus got there so didn't have to wait all that time, but we heard plenty about it from others who had waited there for 15 minutes already.

All in all, this is a good value for your money for an all-inclusive vacation. You still get some luxury if you stay at the MP, especially if you are on the Grand side, but it's not out of this world. I do want to give a shout-out to the staff at Los Tacos pool area - they are the BEST and took care of my family very well during our stay. We will most likely return in the future when we want a fun family vacation that meets the needs of our children, who appreciate more variety and activities on their vacations. The MP checked all the boxes for them and they had a great time. And, as parents, what else can possibly make a family vacation be better than happy kids, and that is what you will definitely get at the Moon Palace.

Bellevue, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband, teenage son and I stated at the resort in November 2012. We stated at the Grand section. After reading all negative reviews we decided not use the resort credits and we refused to have a trip around the resort, so we did not have a problem:) The room was excellent! Just a 5 min away from a pool and seafood restaurant. The resort is huge. We have been in Sunrise what is really terrible (under constriction) and Nuzic that is just OK. Food is good (5* deserts), a lovely coffee shop at Nuzic. I lost my valet and a security guy named Alexandro (Sunrise section) found it in 15 min! Thanks! This resort is good for golf players: they have a nice area for leaving and playing.
Will I come back? No. I would prefer a quite small luxury resort with nice beach and great food.

Room Tip: Stay at Grand section, use your resort credit for room upgrading when you check in and do not take a...
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was a chance for my whole family to get together as we all live in different areas. I can always find something to complain about BUT NOT HERE. Everything was great. The service was excellent and everyone cared about you and wanted to help. The food, grounds and attractions were also great. Beautiful area. You could be as private as you wanted or be with all kinds of people it was up to you. I would stay here again anytime.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kingston upon Thames
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The friendliness of the staff is what made the holiday. Maria Mercedes who served drinks at the Olimpico Pool. Caribeno Restaurant staff Sergio Cruz, Jorge Domingues, Carlos Ceh. Cristian Martines and head waiter provided exceptional personal service, even a special breakfast. A special meal in the Bugambilias Restaurant served by Eric, Alesandro, Carlos, Felipo the manager. and prepared by Darios the chef was superb. When eating in other restaurants the service and food was incredible. Overall the staff were courteous, polite and a pleasure to talk to. The golf was fabulous and easy to book, the use of resort credit available was a huge bonus. An Ocean view completed our beautiful room. The whole resort is clean and well maintained. This was our fourth visit and standards have remained the same. Hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Ocean view for wonderful sunrise.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We (a family with 3 children ages 7, 6, 5) visited The Moon Palace Resort at the end of November 2012. It is a beautiful looking resort. It has 3 different sections within in, and to travel between them, there is a coach bus service. The wait times could be up to 10-12 minutes. We stayed in the Sunrise section, and this was the nicest one in terms of amenities- kids pool, evening shows, the best buffet restaurant (Bugambilia's), a very nice japanese restaurant, and a kids club. The rooms however, were small, and although we paid for a Suite, what we got were two separate rooms with an adjoining door.
While there, we noticed that there was nobody in any of the pools, except for the kids pool. The reason is because none of the pools are heated. The water was very cold. We did not dip into the pools in our resort. We found that there was only 1 heated pool in the entire resort, and it was located in the Moon Grand section, which we need to take a coach bus to get to. It is one long rectangular pool. Not the nicest looking, not many lounge chairs to accomodate all the guests, and a not so friendly bartender. It was inconvenient to travel to that pool and we visited it only twice. We spent the rest of the time on the beach, which was very dirty with seaweed and twigs. It was next to impossible to enter the ocean because of this, and the many rocks in the sand.
The kids club was good.
There must have been a thousand employees scattered throughout the resorts, and not one of them could help us with directions or any questions about the resort (and they spoke good English!).
We are frequent travellors, and have never found the need to criticize the resorts we have been to, but this resort is one of the few that we will not return to.
We have visited a few of the Bahia Principe resorts, which are also massive in size, but they are 100 times better than this one. Friendlier staff, more to do, warmer pools, nicer beaches.

Room Tip: Ask to stay close to the main lobby. Rooms in Moon Grand were larger, but there is not much to do t...
newport,ri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Grand for 2 weeks in a presidential suite. We were celebrating our wedding anniversay. The room was spectacular with an ocean view. Service second to none we have had. I played golf on the Jack Nicolas courses almost every day. I can't choose a favorite conditions change everyday. We also enjoyed the SPA at the golf course on 4or 5 different days using the resort credits. The food at every restaurant we chose was excellent. I think my three favorites are Tacos, los corporales, and gondola. The nightly shows are fantastic and every one of your needs can be satisfied.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!