“Would Not Return” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

You added Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km. 340, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #12 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Toronto, Canada
“Would Not Return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We (a family with 3 children ages 7, 6, 5) visited The Moon Palace Resort at the end of November 2012. It is a beautiful looking resort. It has 3 different sections within in, and to travel between them, there is a coach bus service. The wait times could be up to 10-12 minutes. We stayed in the Sunrise section, and this was the nicest one in terms of amenities- kids pool, evening shows, the best buffet restaurant (Bugambilia's), a very nice japanese restaurant, and a kids club. The rooms however, were small, and although we paid for a Suite, what we got were two separate rooms with an adjoining door.
While there, we noticed that there was nobody in any of the pools, except for the kids pool. The reason is because none of the pools are heated. The water was very cold. We did not dip into the pools in our resort. We found that there was only 1 heated pool in the entire resort, and it was located in the Moon Grand section, which we need to take a coach bus to get to. It is one long rectangular pool. Not the nicest looking, not many lounge chairs to accomodate all the guests, and a not so friendly bartender. It was inconvenient to travel to that pool and we visited it only twice. We spent the rest of the time on the beach, which was very dirty with seaweed and twigs. It was next to impossible to enter the ocean because of this, and the many rocks in the sand.
The kids club was good.
There must have been a thousand employees scattered throughout the resorts, and not one of them could help us with directions or any questions about the resort (and they spoke good English!).
We are frequent travellors, and have never found the need to criticize the resorts we have been to, but this resort is one of the few that we will not return to.
We have visited a few of the Bahia Principe resorts, which are also massive in size, but they are 100 times better than this one. Friendlier staff, more to do, warmer pools, nicer beaches.

Room Tip: Ask to stay close to the main lobby. Rooms in Moon Grand were larger, but there is not much to do t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,343)
newport,ri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Grand for 2 weeks in a presidential suite. We were celebrating our wedding anniversay. The room was spectacular with an ocean view. Service second to none we have had. I played golf on the Jack Nicolas courses almost every day. I can't choose a favorite conditions change everyday. We also enjoyed the SPA at the golf course on 4or 5 different days using the resort credits. The food at every restaurant we chose was excellent. I think my three favorites are Tacos, los corporales, and gondola. The nightly shows are fantastic and every one of your needs can be satisfied.

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed here from 14/11/12 - 28/11/12 in room 7325 in the Nizuc Section. My partner has been before but it was my first time. My first impressions were good, the hotel and its grounds are beautiful and well kept & the staff are great. Check in was quick and easy and we were taken to our room within minutes of arriving, which after a 10.5 hour flight was great.

Our room was lovely, nice big bed, the obligatory jacuzzi bath and the minibar and optics, you do not need anything else as far as I am concerned!

The pool areas are all lovely, I do think they should have an adults only pool as wherever we seemed to go and sit we always ended up with kids right in front of us splashing. We have no problems with kids at all but my fiance has hearing aids with cannot get wet and most people arund the pool, like everyone these days either had mobile phones, kindles, iPods etc that also cannot get wet. Some parents were not happy when we politely asked children to move to an area where there was no one sitting but hey we are all on holiday and we all want to relax and not worry about getting our things broken! We were not the only ones with these issues, a few people all said the same and had complained previously to the hotel. So a little understanding from parents would be great!

The buffet restaurant was nice, repetative food as mentioned by others but you can always find something to eat. We enjoyed the Brazilian restaurant at Nizuc, but Los Caporales we thought was awful. We had to wait for a table, which was fine with us but when we sat down we were bought our appetisers and a drink we didnt order straight away, with no opportunity to order a drink we actually wanted. 5 minutes later our soup arrived and the 5 minutes later our mains. We were in there no longer than 25 minutes. This was purely because a lot of people wanted to eat in there and they wanted to fit everyone in. We didnt touch our drinks and barely touched our main courses as we had literally had our appetisers and soup in such quick succession! It was a shame as what we did manage tasted lovely but you just cant eat that quick!
The restaurant at the Grand was lovely (El caribeno) we ate there a few times as we both really enjoy seafood. The Saffron Mussel soup is divine and the waiters & waitresses are excellent.
We also ate at the Oriental at the Golf Club which I also highly recommend. The food was absolutely wonderful there and the service was brilliant. And we werent rushed!

The entertainment on the Nizuc side I'm sorry to say is absolutely rubbish. The 2 shoes that we thought were good were the Rock Show and the Bellydance show.
The Michael Jackson show at Sunrise is okay. Better than some of the others that they put on! I know they all work very hard at these shows and I feel bad for saying that they are not very good but I am sure it will improve.

The resort credits are great, we used them on golf and at the Spa, you have to pay the tax on what you spend but we basically got 2 rounds of golf and a manicure & pedicure for approx £60 which is a bargain.
The excursions included on the resort credit are not fantastic and you are limited to days that you go and most of them you have to take extra money for various things so it may be better to book these with your tour operator and pay for them.
We did find everything that wasnt included in your all inclusive package hideously expensive. They have a photographer who brings Toucans & Iguanas etc to the pool area. I had a photo done with the Iguana and when we went to enquire about buying a picture it was something like $10 - $15 for one photo! (You can buy on resort credit but not sure if its worth it) They will come and take photos for you of yourself and your partner or your family so I guess if its a special occasion or a family holiday it probably is worth it.

My biggest tip would to be to take Peso's instead of dollars. The exchange rate is more favourable and you get more for your money.

The one thing thing that we noticed and some other English people that we spoke to noticed also was that English customers get treated 2nd to the Americans, and I mean this as no offence to our friends across the pond, I have American family so I have no issues with them whatsoever but it was clear that they got the preferential treatment from the hotel and the English customers came 2nd in terms of service etc.

My partner who had been before said that lots of things had changed at the hotel. Prices, food quality and the attitudes of staff. He was disappointed that it was not as he remembered it.

All in all we got what we went for which was two weeks of sunshine and relaxation. I enjoyed my visit very much but next time we visit Mexico we would not stay at the Moon Palace. However, I would recommend it to anyone who it looking for relaxation and a stress-free holiday.

Room Tip: Nizuc section has no works going on and The Grand section looks lovely. Sunset section is larger, ha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Auburn, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

We have been members since 2009. This was a free week earned for referring guests. We stayed at the Moon Gran. Alfredo and Alex are always around for a fun water volleyball game and fun pool days. Those guys work hard to keep it fun but also allow us to just relax poolside.

There are renovation (sunrise)and additions (gran moon) going on but mostly didn't affect us. The main gym at Sunrise was closed this week but I enjoyed Reformer Pilates with Jonathan (Nizuc) and Zumba with Neli (Sunrise).

The dolphin discovery was open and usable with resort credit. The Flow rider was open and included for now, but expect a fee later. It was hard to stand up and learn to ride the board but wipeouts on foam is better than real sand.

• Stayed December 2012
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for four days and three nights. Check in process was easy, started with a glass of champagne which was nice. Room was oceanview, marble floors which are ice cold. No slippers in our room. AC was COLD, and had no intermediate setting. Fan was either ON or OFF. Room was nicely stocked with water, sodas, and alcohol. Nice huge jacuzzi in room. Pool was very nice and service at the pool was great. Overall service at the hotel was very good and very accommodating. The all inclusive was nice, and this is our first all inclusive hotel experience. The place is HUGE and there was plenty of transportation if you do not want to walk the 3 properties which is nice.
Our biggest complaint was the food. My husband and I really enjoy food and are what I guess you would call "foodies" but the food overall was mediocre at best. The buffets were bland and repetitive. There were a lot of options but really nothing stood out and most did not look appealing. The sit down dinner we had the La Corporales was pretty good, I would say compares to an Outback (if they served Mexican food). Not five stat but pretty good and more flavorful than anything else we had. Perhaps if we had more sit down dinners I would have more positive things to say about the food but the buffets left a lot to be desired
The spa was nice at the golf resort though I heard the deep tissue massages are pretty aggressive, lol.
Overall, there are not enough goods, to outweigh the bad. Don't think we will be back, especially as there are so many options in Cancun. The beach is pretty but was not usable as the flag was always red and water is not crystal clear like it is at other beaches in Cancun. I can not comment on the golf course as we do not golf.

Room Tip: Avoid the Sunrise building until construction is complete, both Nizuc and Grand buildings are nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
NormaGranados, Public Relations Manager at Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We thank you for the nice things you’ve said and we’ll make sure to take the other points you touched upon into consideration as we believe there is always room for improvement.
Norma Granados / Public Relations Manager
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Cancun and stayed at the Moon Palace Resort for my husband's brother's wedding. We booked for 5 nights to get the resort credit. The total guests of the wedding party were about 85 people. Almost every guest complained about the check in process. My husband and I arrived at around 2:30 p.m. and stood in line for about 45 minutes then once at the counter they couldn't find our reservation (we had our confirmation and had even paid two nights in advance). After another good 30 minutes they finally found our reservation. After all of that they told us to wait out by the lobby entrance for a golf cart to take us to our room, this took another 25 minutes. We ended up getting up to our room until around 4:30. It was the longest check in process we have ever experienced! We also had requested a double bed room and when we got to our room we were given a king size bed. Nevertheless, we kept that room, the hammock on our balcony was broken and they had said they would be sending someone to fix it but nobody came for two days. There was also construction going on in the sunrise section which is were we were staying. It was pretty distracting and a little noisy. The beach part of the resort is just okay, not as beautiful as I anticipated. There was a whole lot of seaweed on the beach and shore. Using the resort credits was not as easy as they make it sound, the tours only run certain days and only include limited things, they limit the amount you can use at the Spa too and you have to pay an 11% tax on everything you use it for. I used part of it for a massage at the Spa and it was nice but again, because the resort is so large it takes a golf cart about 15-20 minutes to get you to the Spa and then you have to wait about 20 minutes for it to pick you up from the spa to bring you back to the lobby area of the hotel. All the restaurants were pretty far from too, the food was good though. The check out process was another 35 minute ordeal. I don't understand why they don't have enough people working at the front. Another thing to note is that this resort is far away from everything. To take a cab to downtown Cancun it cost $50 for two people each way! I liked the resort over all but I wouldn't go back because of the size of the resort, the not so beautiful beach, the hassle to get around waiting for golf carts and the horrible check in and check out service and the location of the resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We regret to learn that we were not able to meet your expectations. We understand that vacations are extremely important and we will take the feedback you presented into consideration. Norma Granados / Public Relations Manager
Covington, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My family (six persons) stayed at Moon Palace during our Thanksgiving vacation. The vacation was superb for all 3 generations -- grandmother, mother, uncle, three grandsons. Everyone found activities exactly matching their needs; the food (many, many restaurants) was superb; the rooms were spacious and comfortable. The most outstanding aspect of the resort was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Our needs were met as soon as they were voiced. We can't wait to go there again!

Room Tip: The higher floors have a little less traffic, therefore less noise at night than the lower floors...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!