“Excellent place to relax and be pampered” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort

You added Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km. 340, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #15 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Colorado Springs, CO
“Excellent place to relax and be pampered”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I've stayed at Moon Palace twice: once in the fall of 2007, and again over 2009/2010 new years, a full week's stay both times (Sunrise side).

Both times I very much enjoyed the stay, and have no significant gripes from either visit. The place has the feel of a condominium neighborhood---not that there are kitchenettes or anything, but the campus is laid out around modestly-

sized three-story buildings with broad lawns between them, all fairly close to the beach. Both times I stayed, our room had a deep, jetted bath, balcony with a partial view of the water, and a liquor cabinet with full-sized bottles

of rum, whiskey, vodka, and tequila, as well as a small fridge with sodas, juices, and Mexican beer, all of which were re-stocked daily. A bottle of decent red wine was waiting for us upon arrival, and could be re-stocked on demand via

room service.

Moon Palace is vast---you could easily spend a half day wandering its extents. Other than exploring though, the tendency is to camp out at a spot along the edge of the nearest pool. There, you will be serviced by polite, friendly, and

attentive staff, and food and drink are never far away. Despite the fact that the resort is so huge, I did not feel overwhelmed because it's so spread out and each 'neighborhood' is fairly separate and distinct.

The beach is unimpressive---not bad for an hour or two of wind surfing or for evening cocktails, but sea weed prevents its use for swimming, snorkeling, and other aquatic activities. It's main function is to make you feel like you're at

the seaside, which it does well, with pleasant sea breezes constantly gracing its environs.

Moon Palace was cut out of coastal jungle in the middle of nowhere, and as a result it's not very good for coming and going or getting out on your own. The typical mode of operation seems to be to sequester oneself at the resort, and

then take a few guided tours (with extra expense attached). If you want to do something on your own, you pretty much have to hire a taxi, and go quite a few miles before you get to anything interesting. There's simply no wandering off

and taking public transportation---it's a couple mile walk to the nearest road, during which you'll subject yourself to astonished looks from staff and possibly even exposure to wild animals.

Overall I found the food to be varied, and generally quite good. However, I most enjoyed the food that was cooked on demand for me at the buffets, both by the pool and at the breakfast bars (e.g. - in the afternoons I enjoyed wandering

over to the area between the pool and the sea, and ordering various combinations of fish tacos, which were prepared for me as I watched). In the evenings, some of the restaurants had waits of up to an hour.

Overall I found the staff to be pleasant, cheerful, and always wanting to please. I tipped only occasionally, never felt like it was expected, and never felt like good service was conditional on tipping.

I haven't stayed anywhere else yet on the Yucatan (although I'll be going to Akumal for Christmas this year), but while staying at Moon Palace I have done single-day visits to Isla Mujeres Palace, Sun Palace, and Payacar Palace. In

contrast to those other resorts, I liked that Moon Palace didn't feel so much like a hotel as it did a small town, and generally it was always quiet and peaceful when I returned to our room.

I didn't play golf or use the spa, so I can't speak to those notable features.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,840)
  • Hebrew first
Cancun
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We are currently staying at the moon palace, we have had 5 different bad experiences by day 7 of a 14 day stay,

1: the room credits are ridiculous, there are terms which they don't state before you go, our room was too small for 2 adults & 2 under 10's, we were told that we could up grade our room with the credits, not true, we paid an extra £1200 for an adjoining room.

2: the staff haven't got a clue, receptionists do not know how to contact the general manager! Their spoken English isn't up too par either, after speaking to 6 different people I managed to track down a manager, who explained that it is a waste of my time speaking to any one else other that the public relations team, as reception is only trained to check people in & out, Guest services team are only trained in selling the trips & the time share options. So if you are very persistent you could talk too the horses head instead off the horses back side!

3: the hotel has a big conference centre, the Nextel conference started 2 days into our vacation, with a sea off delegates, there has been a 30 minute wait to get seated at breakfast, lunch & dinner, my wife and girls were late for a pedicure because of this and they cut their appointment short, even though the staff were told why they were late, after several complaints they offered us $50 as an apology.

4: our friends daughter cut the toe quite badly on a broken cup thrown in the pool, I thought it was a one off but after 7 days at the resort, we are constantly fishing out discarded cups from the pool.

5: last night we had dinner at the caribbean restaurant, we arrived at 8pm, we were told that we could have a drink in the bar and the table would be ready in 30 mins, at 9pm we finally sat down, our party consisted of 11, 6 adults & 5 kids ( 1 three year old, 2 eight year olds & 2 ten year olds) the restaurant was not busy, we got our starters at 10 pm by which time the youngest had fallen asleep, at 10:40 we got our main courses, I had asked for a ribeye with our any sauce, of course my meal had the sauce, which I asked to be changed, my wife said that they would wash off the sauce in jest, so I cut the steak in two, 5 minutes later I was presented with my old steak which had had the sauce washed off and thrown back on the grill to heat it up.

Do not book this resort under any circumstances, the food isnt great & the front of house staff are awful, the resort should concentrate on catering for exhibitions and events as it puts these guests first and the actual paying holiday guests.

Let's see what the next 7 days of our holiday has to offer!

Room Tip: Go to an other hotel best tip of the day!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We just retuned from our first trip to Cancun. We were a group of ten consisting of 7 adults plus our 3 grandchildren ages 2 through 5. The hotel is extremely large and I thought I would have a difficult time getting around. Golf carts with drivers were readily available to take me wherever I needed to go. Florencio, one of the bellboys, was my driver most of the time. He was extremely helpful and spoke English very well. We stayed in the Sunrise area and I would recommend this part of the hotel for families traveling with children.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at the moon palace resort an on the first day on check in we were told that we were unable to stay in the grand section which we paid to go in as it was overbooked we were told it was easier to move us rather than upset the 2000 odd Americans that had came in on a corporate trip thanks, we were alsO on our honeymoon which was annoying, next point resort credits their systems are awful or lack of communication anyway, apart from that amazing trip if u want a decent pool area try the moon grand pool which has Olympic lines in the pool the staff alejandro, mirem Carla, Alfredo pool, and Amelia and all the bar staff are great also in the restaurants you are treated brilliant, also recommend the spa a few things could be improved to make the experience better p.s the rooms are amazing especially in moon grand

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Visited two weeks ago with our two girls (6 and 8) and parents (70+). There was something for everyone, we all loved it.

Stayed at the Grand which is definitely the quietest part of the resort, but only a short walk (or if feeling lazy even shorter buggy or coach ride) from the other parts.

We had reservations over the size of the resort but the way it was planned and laid out meant none of our fears over this were realised. Every member of staff, no exceptions, made us each feel very special. Special mention for Joseph on Grand reception for going above and beyond in dealing with a small glitch on our room allocation (agent problem, not the hotel) and extra special thanks for Ernesto in Caribenos Restaurant for making our last evening there so memorable. His closing words were 'this is your second home' - how true it felt !

We'll be back !

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Couldn't find out reservation; took 2 hours to check in/ room service breakfast never right/ stock not consistently replenished like coffee, towels/ steak house -not recommended/ le Trattoria restaurant was very good. However, around 50 people were left stranded (you need a golf cart ride to get over to this restaurant which is also where the golf and spa areas are) for 45 minutes. Where we're the drivers? I dont know. But there's always lots of staff standing around not doing anything. My husband got sick from their salmon. Don't get sucked into their resort credits incentive as you have to pay 11% tax on top. All the servers from the bars, restaurants, jewelry stores, etc, etc were excellent. they were great. Very friendly too. Very beautiful place to stay. I just expected better service for the $$

Lawrence, Kansas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

In May of 2012, I visited the Grand Moon for a wedding that was taken place. The last night of my trip, I arrived back in my room to discover that some of my bags had been gone through and my wedding and engagement ring had been stolen from those bags. I contacted the hotel, filed a report and they appeared to be helpful, stating they were going to do an investigation and contact me. I never heard back from them. Weeks later I contacted them and was told there was still an investigation. That was the last time I heard from them. I obviously have no hope that my rings will turn up (or ever would) but it has been 4 months and any update would have been nice.

The hotel itself was mediocre. I would have expected more for the price. The drinks were lovely but the food not so much. Entertainment was lacking also. Everything closed up around 11 and it was impossible to find anything to eat or do after this time, if you happen to be a bit of a night owl. The multitude of restaurants is a bit of a front also, they all serve extremely similar and oddly tasting food that doesn't actually meet the "theme" of the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!