“Great until the end.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Royal Cancun

You added Park Royal Cancun to your Saves list
Park Royal Cancun
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 12.5 | Lote 18, Fraccion 1-B | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #55 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Brooklyn, New York
“Great until the end.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My friend booked this trip through her cousin's time share so we got an awesome deal for our buck. The room was decent and service staff was awesome. This was an all inclusive deal so the food was great and so were the drinks. The wait staff in the restaurant were always pleasant and greeted us with a smile. I did not like the sales pitch attempt of buying Royal lifetime package for x amount of dollars ( The cheapest is package is $2200 so just get there and not from the start of $8000). In the end however it was the front desk staff and the so called manager that ruined it. There were fees to be paid in the end and instead of explaining there was a different exhange rate for money and debit cards they over charged my friends card without telling her the difference and were arrogant in their response to her confusion. No one was helpful in this situation and it left a bitter taste in our mouths. Overall one of the best vacations ever!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Booked the Park Royal as part of a Club La Costs package (another story, but forget them!).

Rooms:
Rooms were large but came from the 1980's. Furniture aging, sticky and rickety.
TV's I wouldn't have in my home (large 1980's style).
Used the room safe every day and night (read below for theft in the hotel).

Beach:
Nice, white and long, but the seaweed in the water was always prevalent. Always around you and was always on the beach even though there was hotel staff doing some work to clean it in the early mornings.

Area:
The La Isla Mall was great, the best Mall all around. Classy and open (no air conditioning thank God).
The Flea Market up the road was terrible. I am used to Muslim markets where the sellers are always trying to get you into their shops, but this was a few levels above...almost threatening...beware here.

Internet Access:
Charging guests $15 a day for Internet access - terrible. You can buy weekly packages but still expensive. Wasn't even very fast or reliable....1 day the router was down in our part of the hotel. Although when I spoke with the internet tech support they gave me a day back.

Food, Drinks and Restaurants:
This is an all-inclusive hotel, food was good, nothing fantastic, the dining staff were very nice though, friendly and always courteous and talkative. Bar staff were also very good around the pool areas. The best thing to do if you don't have kids is to reserve a table every night at the on site Italian restaurant. Otherwise expect a very very noisy dinner.
Wish they would serve drinks in plastics cups instead of these polystyrene cups. Understand that plastic can also cut but come one. Give the polystyrene to kids and let the adults enjoy a pina colada or tequila sunrise in a transparent vessel.

Pools:
Small and can become very busy especially when the recreation staff are running sports and entertainment (water polo, etc). Staff allow fat, loud American women (and anyone else I suppose, but I only saw these kind of people), eating and smoking in the pools....disgusting.

Hotel areas:
Lobby bar has no atmosphere. Just chairs and tables laid out like a seminar........
Bars closed very early, 11pm every night.
Watch out for the hotel shop. Good that its open all-day and night, but only accept credit card and Peso's, no US dollars.
The Hammocks next to the the upper pool and bar are a very nice touch. Shaded and right on the beach.

Entertainment:
Seemed to be a lot going on. Good for families and couples.

Theft:
We left our mobile telephone in our bag, locked and hidden under a towel and under the sun lounger next to the pool whilst we went to lunch. Returned 30 minutes later to find that the phone had been taken.
I notified the Hotel security and then management. They took absolutely no action. In the end I had to force them to write an incident report. The hotel management told us that there are never any reporting's of thefts in the hotel.
I then went to the local police station and reported it.
Talking with our friendly restaurant staff the next day, one of them said that we did the right thing to go to the police as there are many mobile telephone thefts in the hotel and that the thieves are the hotel swimming pool staff. We were also told that the hotel security know about it and them and do nothing about it. After this we recognised that the hotel staff are very creepy bunch of people, always looking at the guests belongings. Our phone was stolen after a week being there...we were observed.....

Summary:
Nice hotel, mostly friendly staff, management useless, not great rooms,

BEWARE THE POOL STAFF AS THEY ARE ALLEGEDLY THIEVES AS REPORTED BY THE HOTELS OWN STAFF!

We will not be back to this hotel. The area of Cancun we were in was nice.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel if you are a couple. If you are a big family (6 people), its ok.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a week in late August.

We were in an ambassador sweet. All the floors were a smooth tile floor, very nice unless you are wet. One night one of the sheets had blood stain on it, a very small amount, but still.

I felt that the whole resort was very unwelcoming to people who didn't speak Spanish. The cleaning ladies couldn't not communicate with us, or one of the towel guys.

The lower pool was ful of fun and activities, but they were mostly in Spanish and didn't really feel welcomed there either.

The beach was nice, but the lifeguards would never really let us swim.

The buffet was decent, but always had some sort of crazy dishes. The Italian restaurant was better than the buffet, but I think Olive Garden food probably tastes better. The snack bar was nice, but the pizza was gross. Burgers were the best. Wish they had guacamole at the snack bar.

The service at the restaurants were fantastic, sometimes a little overbearing.

Location was a short taxi from Señor Frogs and several malls. La Isla mall was a 5 minute walk away, very nice mall.

• Stayed August 2012
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have just returned from a holiday in Mexico starting with meeting friends from Merida ( whom we havent seen for 5 years ) so to a start out holiday decided on having a few days AI in Cancun.
After doing my ususal homework and investigations etc I finally decided on Park Royal after eliminating other properties in the same price band in Cancun,What a decision of which i have no regrets at all in any way of this hotel,fantastic location (opposite Isla shopping centre with all designer shops etc but i must say i only ventured once for a short while ) on the beach, ( Where turtles hatched while we were their ) 2 pools 1 buffet resaurant 1 Italian restaurant which was nice but the buffe reataurant with theme nights was good enough on its own with the fantastik service received from all the staff and the selection and qualityof the food.We spent out time visiting all bars and pools where the staff never forgot your drink order and didnt mind when as we did change our drinks dependant on the mood as nothing was too much trouble to accomodate your needs,All the top shelf spirits in all bars very unusual unless staying in much dearer 5 * hotels .

We left for Merida after meeting many many friends and nationalaties and having a very memorable and value for money in Park Royal and are now planning a full holiday at Park royal for next year

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I were gifted our honeymoon through a family member that is a Royal Holiday member. Overall it was a nice resort. Not what I would recommend for a honeymoon but we did have a good vacation.

Pros:
-Very clean (both rooms and resort property). The staff did a great job of keeping everything very clean and well taken care of
-One of the most beautiful beaches I have been to thus far. Soft white sand, turquoise water.
-Great buffet restaurant. I have Celiac disease (a sever allergy to gluten) but Antonio, one of the restaurant managers made sure to go through all the food selections with me each day to show me what was safe and what was not. He checked all the ingredients and asked when he wasn't sure about something. Oriental night was the worst for me (because of soy sauce on everything) so he had the chef make me a special dish.
- Great service by buffet staff and travel office: Between Antonio and our breakfast and lunch server Gabriel, they always made sure we had a smile on our face by the time we left. Gabriel got to know our favorite drinks and dishes and would bring them to us, without us even asking! He brought my husband bacon every day for breakfast... when bacon wasn't even out for breakfast! As for the travel agency women, they were so friendly and helpful. They were honest about prices and excursion popularity vs the experience and even went above and beyond to help me contact a local dog rescue Tierra de Animales that we went to go visit. They made phone calls for me to get addresses and directions and did a lot of research and soley out of being helpful, They didn't expect any money or tips.

Cons:
-Front desk and Royal Holiday staff. Very rude and unhelpful (especially the Royal Holiday staff) if they didn't think they would be getting any more money from you. There is a 90 minute presentation that you can do to receive some tequilla and $100 towards any of your excursions. For me it was worth it to have the money, we needed it to do all the trips we wanted, but it was barely worth it. I was exhausted and very irritated at the end of the 90 min presentation. VERY high pressure sales.
-Beds: We had an ambassador room. Simple, clean, not much in the way of decor or luxury, In fact my husband and I had to sleep in different beds because the beds were so small (our feet hung over the edge a bit). We tried to ask for a room with a queen or king but apparently they don't have any at this resort.

Trips:
- Swim with dolphins at dolphin discovery Okay. Picked this company because I felt they were the most humane and responsible with how they treated their dolphins.
- Coba Maya Ruins Cultural trip. Highlight of my trip! Learned so much and had a great time. If you actually want to learn something (and not in a boring way) opt for the cultural trip, not the adventure.
- Xplore: Okay.. my husband liked it more than me although I am not a huge fan of caves with bats flying around and pooping on me....
- Tierra de Animales: Arranged through facebook. We are huge animal rescue supporters back home and we went to visit and help wash dogs for a few hours. Was very eye opening.Was another highlight and we were glad we went.

Room Tip: Presidential only if your looking for any kind of luxury or romance
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Ok, so I have reviewed this hotel before... But since my last review I have stayed at 2 other premium resorts in Mexico. They had flash, and lavish rooms - but really were just too impersonal, too many extra costs, and crowd after crowd seemed to be waiting for their "jersey shore" audition. Then I came back to the Park Royal and I have to say I will keep coming back!

The staff at this resort is unreal. First are the restaurant staff. These guys know your name, your drinks, what food you like... I think I might adopt Gabriel, or maybe he has adopted me. The bartenders (Mario, Leonardo, Benjamin, Manuel, Esteban) are not only fast at slinging drinks for an endless line of tourists, but they make it a personal experience. While I was there, most staff were speaking Portuguese to the Brazilians, had cheat cards with words in Russian, all while speaking Spanish and English.

I can not leave out the entertainment staff either. There were some new faces (John, Jovani) but Paco and his staff know how to make this place a lasting experience for all guests. They have games for kids, sports all day (we had people from other hotels coming just to try and join the beach volleyball). And of course there real specialty is the nights out. Usually a hotel will tell you were to go, maybe get you a small discount and a free taxi there - but this experience was way more. If there are groups that want to go to other locations, the team splits so both groups have a "tour guide" at the club. Truly a wild and safe experience.

Now the hotel still has a more rustic feel. The rooms and some common spaces are ready for a touch up. But I promise you, just the staff alone will leave you wanting to come back. I'm at 3 trips now.

• Stayed September 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We have been "time-sharing" through Interval International for over 20 years and are new to the Royal Time Share system so this was our first visit. We had a good visit...just a "notch" less than what we are used to. Having time-shared for so long, we usually enjoy chit-chatting and comparing stories with other time share veterans...but not here. We were about the only English speaking people at the resort. Many were from Argentina, Brazil, and South America. Not being snobby here...just a different experience.

Rooms - Very clean and were cleaned thoroughly daily. Furniture, although not plush, absolutely fine. Spacious quarters in the two ambassador suites. One for my husband and I and one for our adult children. Comfortable beds and two large bathrooms. Our kids used the Murphy bed in the living area and said it was also comfortable. No kitchen facilities or coffee maker but a small refrigerator. Missed having coffee in room and an outside balcony to have it on. I like having them while I read in mornings and wait for everyone to wake up. Don't remember this from other visits to Cancun but YOU CANNOT FLUSH TOILET PAPER and I would rather do that! Also, they recommended that we not drink the water from the room faucet even though there was a sign there that said it was potable. They left us bottled water in the rooms for that reason.

Restaurants - Since we were not given the choice, we had to buy the all-inclusive plan which was super reasonable. It is because you only have two real choices:

La Veranda - is buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Loved the breakfast...plenty of fresh fruit and made to order eggs including omelettes! Service wonderful. But for lunch and dinner, the buffet changes themes every night but it gets tiresome and is a bit noisy.

El Mirador - is a reservation only Italian Restaurant that does not allow children under 12. We had absolutely no problem getting a reservation due to the fact that there were many families there with small children. It also was much quieter than the buffet restaurant for the same reason I guess and since it was not a buffet, less coming and going and noise of dishes, etc. Food excellent!

There is a "snack bar" by the pool which has burgers, hot dogs, nachos, cheese and so-so pizza.

Also with the all inclusive, they gave you free dinner at Senor Frogs which is just a crazy drinking place but fun to be there for a few hours. Drinks and gratuities are not included here and you have a limited menu to choose from (burger, bbq chicken, chicken fajitas or quesidilla) which was OK by us...we were all in the mood for fajitas! They also gave tickets to the movie theater which is located in the mall across the street -walking distance. We did not use those but nice to have them available.

Pools - lower level had activities, music and noise if you are into that...but we were not. We went to the upper level which was quieter but this one had no swim up bar but a walk up one nearby. The pools are small and have no way to enter except by jumping in or using a ladder. Keep that in mind if you are travelling with anyone who is older.

Beach - Beautiful! Even saw sea turtle hatchlings. Lifeguard and a few vendors but not that many as in other places in Mexico.

All in all a nice visit...perfect for us this time since we just wanted to be with our adult children who we don't get to be with as often as we used to. Since we wanted that, the all-inclusive limitation made it affordable since we were paying the tab. Everyone was free to eat and drink anything as long as we were in the resort. Will we go back? I dunno...maybe.

Room Tip: The presidential suites are the only ones with balconies.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Park Royal Cancun? Share your experiences!