“Absolutely gorgeous hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CasaMagna Marriott Cancun

You added CasaMagna Marriott Cancun to your Saves list
CasaMagna Marriott Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Kukulcan, Retorno Chac L-41 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
phil
“Absolutely gorgeous hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

We own a timeshare at Marriott Streamside at Vail and when we do not use it exchange for Marriott points or exchange with II. This stay was for one night for points before checking into our week exchange at Royal Caribbean. The hotel was Gorgeous and well appointed. We had a standard view room, and although it overlooked a courtyard, when you stepped onto the patio there was a beautiful view of the ocean. The pool was magnificent and the only possible negative aspect was there was very little beachfront.

The JW Marriott was the subject of much discussions on this board and the Casa Magna was apparently equally missing its beach. Since we were there only one day it wasn't an issue, but if we'd stayed a week it would have been a problem.

However, when we moved to the RC we had the same beach situation... very little. From the time we arrived in Cancun we also noticed FOR THE FIRST TIME ever a wonderul trade wind off the ocean that provide an incredibly fabulous environment on the beach, pool and later in the evening. Our concierge told us that the unusual winds also decimated the sand deposits for the beach. About Wednesday the wind stopped and the typical HOT HOT HOT of Canucn resumed, AND the sandy beach returned in just ONE day, Personally I preferred the breeze . We are going to Aruba in June and are definitely looking forward to that experience.

Even though we were there one day/night, I felt the hotel was first class and beautifully appointed. We absolutely loved our room on the pool level that felt like being a part of a large hacienda. Would absolutely recommend this resort.

Stayed April 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
Pleasanton,CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

I went to Cancun for a Bachelorette party with 2 others friends. We are all 29. Beautiful Hotel, excellent beach ( best in Cancun), great pool and huge spa... right next to the JW, which is gorgeous.. ( bigger pool area, great grounds too.. just more expensive.. could always go to their pool to change it up a bit..literally next door)... I have stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels across the world and this was definitly one of the nicest.. for the price. The ocean room view was outstanding! Take the bus to go down to where the bars are,etc.. and def. eat at Lorenzons ( seafood-make reservations for sunset outside) and La Destilería ( mexican food, great margaritas..eat outside),Captain's Cove (supposedly great breakfast--right near hotel .and great sushi place called Bling...very upscale outside seating... HAVE FUN!!!

• Liked — Grounds, Location on a beautiful beach, Mango Mojitos in the Lobby Bar...AMAZING
  • Disliked — Nothing. Great value and beatiful hotel
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

Overall:
As an avid Marriott guest (I stay at Marriott’s frequently), I believe the Casamagna lives up to Marriott’s high standards. The property inside and out are both clean and beautiful. If you’re going to Cancun to enjoy the white sand and blue waters, this hotel is perfect! After taking a 3 mile walk down the beach and looking at the neighboring Cancun hotel zone properties, I can honestly say that I thought Marriott’s set-up was much nicer (from the beachside outdoor restaurant and the amount of beach it afforded – many of the hotels barely had sand for their lounge chairs).

I found all of the Tripadvisor reviews about the Marriott Casamagna to be extremely helpful and truthful so take the time to read them all! Below are some of my personal experiences on topics that have not been frequently reviewed.

Booking/Pre-Arrival:
If you’re considering staying at this hotel, I would recommend that you book directly on Marriott’s website. I understand from other guests that the air/hotel packages they booked through travel services via the internet did not provide them with the free buffet breakfast (everything you could possibly want for breakfast plus more), which is definitely worth it. The cost for the buffet breakfast if it is not included in your daily rate is $20 USD per adult and $12 USD per child. We were often so full after eating breakfast that we didn’t need to eat lunch. When I booked through Marriott’s website, the system stated that it could not guarantee my requested room type of two double beds. I reluctantly accepted the king-size bed option (not ideal for a family of 4). One week prior to my arrival, I received an email from the hotel concierge introducing herself and asking if there was anything she could do for me. I asked if she could secure a room with two double beds for me. She emailed me stating that she took care of it, which held true upon check-in. In addition to helping me secure the room of my choice, she also booked my ground transportation with their vendor, Prestige, to and from the hotel (charged to my room so I didn’t have to pull out cash or my credit card on either legs - $36 for a family of 4 each way). Lastly, she made our daily dinner reservations at each of their restaurants per my instructions. All of this help prior to even walking through the door – classic Marriott touch!

Escape/Inclusive Package:
Marriott Casamagna offers a regular room rate with breakfast included, and an “escape” (aka inclusive) package which includes alcohol/beverages and all three meals at their four on-site restaurants for approximately $200 more a night. We chose the Escape/Inclusive package. Unlike many of the all-inclusive packages offered in the hotel zones of Cancun, only the breakfast was buffet. Lunch and dinner were ala-cart/order off the menu which was a positive. However, alcohol were restricted to brands that were not “top shelf” – so if you like certain brands, chances are they weren’t included in this package and you would end up having to pay extra. Beer was restricted to their domestic/Mexican brands and the bottled water was again domestic and didn’t taste very good (I would have preferred Poland Spring or Fiji which is available but not part of the package – they charged extra for them). If I had it to do over again, I would NOT go all-inclusive at this hotel because we probably would not have forced ourselves to eat three meals (as I mentioned before, the big breakfast that’s a part of the standard Marriott nightly rate was enough to keep you full for a long time!). There’s a restaurant directly across the street and others that were only a bus trip away so there was really no need to feel you had to stay on property for meals. Also, if you opted for their Escape/Inclusive package (which supposedly included tax and gratuity), you were given a bracelet to wear which identified you as being on their meal/beverage plan to the Marriott restaurant/bar staff members. I felt that bracelet was a deterrent on the beach where the staff members taking lunch and drink orders often avoided us and or took orders from other guests first (perhaps they felt they weren’t going to be tipped but little did they know we still tipped for good service). It was obvious to us what they were doing when they whisked by us trying to look busy and strolled around other guests (without bracelets) repeatedly asking them if they wanted anything. We had to constantly flag workers down or often make trips to the bar ourselves (which defeated the “beachside service” that Cancun hotels are known for).

Beware of the Evening Housekeeping Visit:
We stayed four nights and the same time (after 9 PM) each night, a housekeeper would enter our room without knocking or announcing herself prior to entering (even the morning housekeeper would knock and await a response first). This particular housekeeper entered the room with her key card and once she saw us, would just walk out. We followed her out to the hallway on two occasions and asked her what she wanted and she muttered something about towels. While it is probably a standard routine for them to enter the rooms in the evening to refresh towels, we’ve never experienced hotel staff just walking right in at the Marriott hotels in the U.S. so it took a bit of getting used to.

Security/Recreation Staff:
I happened to be lounging on the beach early one morning (around 8:30 AM) enjoying the serenity before the crowds came when I suddenly had a visitor (not a hotel guest) who had been walking down the beach path. He didn’t speak English but he made himself comfortable in the lounge chair next to me and kept trying to strike up a conversation. I told him my husband was close by (which wasn’t true) but he continued to try to move his lounge chair closer to mine. I was extremely uncomfortable and just when I was contemplating making a dash for it, a hotel staff member whose badge stated that he was with Marriott’s Recreation Department came by and must have seen the anxious look on my face. He confronted the gentleman in Spanish and before I knew it, Security was contacted, the gentleman was on his way and I never saw him again. Needless to say, I was quite pleased with the “heads-up” reaction this Recreation staff member showed in this situation. When I thanked him for helping me after the incident, he smiled and said “that’s my job.”

Excursions:
The Marriott Casamagna has an independent vendor directly on the premises (located by the pool) that provides many of the popular excursions/water sports Cancun is known for. By stopping at their booth, you can book right on the spot (however, they require you pay via credit card or cash and is one of the few charges at Marriott that you cannot have added to your hotel bill). My family was disappointed with the combined submarine/snorkeling trip. I guess all of the comments people have made about there not being too much to see underwater in Cancun after the big hurricane almost 2 years ago, is true. Other than a stingray, we didn't see anything exciting.

Final Tip Regarding Tips and Currency:
Remember to bring plenty of dollar bills (for tipping) as the change the front desk provides for US dollars will be in pesos. While US dollars are accepted at retail establishments including the bus system, they provide change back in pesos, so it’s wise to have small denominations on hand for exact change (unless you don’t mind the pesos).

• Liked — Beautiful scenery
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

My girlfriend and I (both of us are 30) stayed at the CasaMagna in late March and had an excellent experience. We did a lot of research on hotels through this site beforehand, so I wanted to repay the favor by sharing our experiences.

Pool: We spent most of our time at the pool. We got lucky and had great weather during our whole trip, and the pool area was sunny from 7am until around 5pm. Though I'm sure the hotel was full due to Spring Break, there were always plenty of lounge chairs to go around. The pool itself was large enough, though perhaps smaller than similarly sized hotels in the hotel zone. The waiters and waitresses at the pool came around frequently to take orders. One disappointment was that we thought our privileges with the JW Marriott next door entitled us to use of its pool, but the JW staff told us that was not the case. We learned this by trying to check out towels at the JW and being told that they didn't allow CM guest to use the pool because of a shortage of lounge chairs. Kind of a bummer because the JW did have a very nice pool area.

Beach: We had read warnings that the beach had become quite small in the wake of the hurricane, and that's definitely true. Some of the nearby hotels, like the Ritz and Cancun Palace, had wider beaches, but I suspect this is a problem throughout Cancun right now. The beach was never crowded, with plenty of palapas, but the beach also didn't get much sunshine, as there was little space on the beach for lounge chairs except under the palapas.

Rooms: We had a king size room facing the pool area and thought it was superb. Large flat screen TVs in each room, strong water pressure in the shower, and a very comfortable bed. The small sofa wasn't too cozy, but that wasn't a big deal. Nice spacious balcony. Housekeeping did a very nice job here.

Cost: We had read a few reviews of the Marriott that expressed concern about the cost of drinks, etc, but we didn't feel prices were at all outrageous. I even thought the mini-bar prices were pretty reasonable (as mini-bars go).

Restaurants: The only real negative at the CasaMagna is the quality of the poolside grill. The food was basically bar food -- club sandwiches, nachos, hamburgers, chicken strips -- and was pretty poor overall. Several items you'd think would be must-haves on the menu, like quesadillas, weren't listed on the menu but were available if you asked your server. Because of the poor quality of food, we ventured over to the poolside cafe at the JW next door, and the food there was much better.

For breakfast we skipped the buffet and would get pastries or bagels in the hotel gift shop. They were pretty tasty and much cheaper, I'm sure. We didn't go to any of the other hotel restaurants, as we felt like venturing away from the hotel for dinner. They looked like your typical bland hotel restaurant.

Service: From check in to check out, the CM staff was very attentive and helpful. Concierge was great w/ making dinner reservations, front desk staff made us wait for only one hour for our early check-in. Everyone was very friendly.

Location: I felt the hotel was well-situated right in the middle of the hotel zone. We were further away from the party area (Senor Frogs, Carlos N Charlies) but there were several nice restaurants near us (La Distileria, Cenacolo, Laguna Grill). There's also a convenience store across the street if you fee like picking up groceries.

Atmosphere/Clientele: We were fearing crazy spring breakers, and our fears were unfounded. The hotel was mostly oriented towards families with young-to-preteen kids. Not too many other young couples, but we never felt uncomfortable. And there weren't so many kids around that they it felt like a kiddie pool...in general a nice atmosphere.

Overall Experience: Great experience. I'd definitely stay there again.

Stayed March 2007
Bloomington, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

We stayed at the CasaMagna Marriott in early April 2007. At that time, I didn’t notice any construction going on at the hotel. Many of the other hotels closer to the Hard Rock had extensive construction going on with a lot more noise. The CasaMagna was quiet and relaxing. It was nice that the pool was big enough for people to use floating mats but also have space for the other guests. It was more of a family environment than a ‘spring break’ hangout. The pool area is relaxing, without loud music or someone squawking constantly on a microphone. The hot tub was nice in the evenings when the sun went down. I think the pool area closed at 11pm but it seems like there were people out there after that. There are lights that illuminate the property at night so that people can continue enjoying the grounds and even play beach volleyball at midnight. The ocean waves are so loud, we couldn’t hear anything from the beach.

It’s true that nothing is cheap anymore in Cancun. Drinks at the pool bar will be about $4 for beer and $8-12 for fufu drinks. Plus, there is automatically a 10% tip applied. Floating mats are $10 per day rental. Internet access is $20 per 24hr period. The safe in the room is large enough to hold at least a 15 inch laptop and other things. The beds and rooms are very comfortable. The hotel is located on the lot north of the Melia Cancun. It is far enough to be away from the techno area to get some peace but close enough to still catch a cab or bus and be there in a short time. Bus fare is 6.5 pesos per person. Taxi was $9 to the Hard Rock. Exchange was about 10.5 - 11 pesos to the dollar.

One nice feature of the CasaMagna is that the beach in front of the hotel is wider than in front of many of the other hotels because the hotel is set back a bit further from the water. After the hurricane, Cancun paid to have the beach put back even larger than it was originally but since then it has eroded significantly, soon to be in a similar state as after the hurricane. In front of some of the other hotels there is about 12-20 feet of beach to the water. Also, there are now limestone rocks exposed that you can stub your feet on.

The way that the waves crash in Cancun has also changed since the hurricane. Before the hurricane, the waves crashed close to the beach with swells out further. Now the waves seem to crash twice with more force. To get to the swells, it is quite a swim. Most people just preferred to enjoy the water after it crashed, not attempting to swim through them. It seemed to be much better for boogie boarding than before though.

The CasaMagna is also having specials advertised on their website. They have a free bottle of champagne or cookies and a movie with free breakfast buffets included with the room. You just need to enter some code when reserving. The free breakfast was great, including American, European, Asian and South American breakfast items. I’d definitely recommend the breakfast, serving until at least 11 a.m.

We enjoyed the hotel very much and hope to return very soon. We would definitely recommend the hotel. Picts attached.

• Liked — relaxing, beautiful ocean, Corona w/ lime
  • Disliked — rocks on beach
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

Just got back from a four-night stay at the CasaMagna with my husband. We had major problems with the front desk. Upon arriving, I was told that the voucher my travel agent gave me to stay at the hotel was not valid, despite the fact that I had a confirmation number and had confirmed my stay with the hotel a month ago. The woman at the desk, Laura, said she'd have to talk to the agency and make sure that they were to receive payment from them. Meanwhile, she gave me a room and took my credit card number, saying that it was "just in case" the voucher could not be validated with the agency and the hotel would have to charge me for the stay. I offered to help correct the error because I didn't want it hanging over my head the whole vacation, and asked for free use of the Internet to look through my email and get the travel agent's name and direct extension. Laura refused to grant me the Internet service and told me she'd take care of things herself.

For the next four days, I stopped at the front desk every morning to ask if progress had been made. They'd called the agency's customer service number and left a message and were simply waiting for someone to call back. No one seemed concerned that we may be stuck with paying for my hotel stay twice if this wasn't resolved by the time we had to leave. Finally, on the night before we had to check out, I pleaded with another person at the desk, Itzel, for use of the Internet. She told me I could do it, and that the Internet use charges would be removed from my account. I got into my email and found the travel agent's name and extension right away, and gave it to the front desk. They called and instantly got my voucher validated. I'd worried my entire vacation away for nothing!

What's more, upon checking out, the computers were down, so we couldn't make sure that the Internet use charges had been removed. We were told by the front desk that it would definitely be taken care of, and we'd be emailed the final statement. No email was awaiting us when we returned home, so my husband called the hotel. Turns out they'd forgotten to check us out after the computers came back up! So now their systems think that we've been staying at the hotel this whole time and has possibly been charging us for it. I can't wait to see if everything gets fixed on the first try this time; we still haven't received an email.

My husband and I had really been looking forward to this vacation and I am sorry to say that most of it was ruined by the Marriott's front desk service. Not once did I feel that anyone at the desk was willing to go "above and beyond" and make sure that we were comfortable. We had to hold their hand through everything ... and thanks to this checking out business, we're still not completely finished with them!

Other than the front desk, the hotel was a delight (too bad I was too distracted to enjoy it fully). The lobby is grand, the pool is wonderful, and the guestroom itself was airy, sunny, and comfortable. I would have given it four stars in a heartbeat, had it not been for the front desk.

• Liked — Our guestroom was beautiful
  • Disliked — The front desk service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

This was our first family vacation in two years - and a picture perfect place too. When we walked into the hotel we were told, "Welcome to Casa Magna, Welcome Home." From that point, it was. The hotel is beautiful and large and not overwhelming. Our room was right over the pool overlooking the water, what a spectacular sight. The people were so friendly and helpful when trying to navigate our time around Cancun. We received sound advice from hotel staff and they couldn't do enough to help us. Our children met several others around the pool and also played volleyball on the beach. Most of the teens meet around the volleyball court or at night in the jacuzzi. I felt that it was a safe environment for them to spend time with newly made friends. The kids club isn't very big and you need to book the kids club when you get there. One suggestion, insert half day programs into the kids club. Overall, my husband and I are looking at our calendars to go back - and to our other home... Casa Magna.

• Liked — Great location, beautiful hotel, friendliness of staff.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to CasaMagna Marriott Cancun? Share your experiences!