“Don't hesitate!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CasaMagna Marriott Cancun

You added CasaMagna Marriott Cancun to your Saves list
CasaMagna Marriott Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Kukulcan, Retorno Chac L-41 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
40% Ocean + Breakfast
Ranked #24 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
California
“Don't hesitate!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

We stayed for three nights here before going to Playa del Carmen. My review is pretty much the same as the others: wonderful, friendly and helpful staff, easy check-in, great location, comfortable, clean and spacious rooms with amazing upgrades. Expansive pool area with swim-up bar and also service around the pool. There was even a swimsuit model fashion show with apparel for immediate sale. White powder sand, turquoise ocean with not a timeshare salesperson in sight, and no vendors on the beach, except for the occasional water activity vendor. We ordered room service several times and each time the food was delicious. They did get one order wrong, giving us an extra order which they ended up giving to us complimentary. The room bar is well stocked and we were not charged for anything we ate, surprisingly enough. I have to say I disagree with the one review of La Capilla, the Argentine Steak House. We had dinner there and everything from the wine to the meal to dessert and aperatif was delicious and elegant. The waiters eager to please. The other restaurant we dined at was the Sa Si Thai Restaurant - superb! I highly recommend this a romantic, elegant dinner that cannot be beat! We had a semi-private table underneath a canopy under the stars and the tropical warm breezes. The waitresses reminded me of the models in a Robert Plant video - very pretty and classy. The pictures will speak for themselves, and overall, a very wonderful romantic place for a vacation not to be forgotten. We also went to Xplor, Cancun's newest adventure park - a must for the family! All inclusive adventure park resort - it was clean, well run, amazingly fun with ziplines, amphibious jeeps and cave swimming explorations! I definitely will take my girls on my next trip! If you're tired of the crowds and the "been there, done that" of Disneyland, this is the rave and do it before it gets overcrowded or watered down. The buffet was excellent, lockers, restrooms clean and well appointed with modern plumbing! Even hot chocolate and cookie stations waiting for you after your ride! Go, go, go! You won't regret it! I loved this visit to Cancun and will definitely be back to this hotel and Xplor!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

My wife and I spent 5 nights at this hotel and never had a bad experience. People were falling all over themselves to make our stay perfect and it was. The food was great. The service was great. The location was beautiful. We had a couples spa treatment in the private bungalo at night on the beach and it was wonderful. We never left the resort for the 6 days and 5 nights. It had everything we needed for the perfect couples relaxing vacation. People talk about the JW Marriott next door being the "cats meow". The Marriott CasaMagna is tops on our list. We can't wait to go back. And we will be soon.

Plano, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

We stayed at the CasaMagna for two seperate nights; or first night that we arrived in Cancun and our last night before we departed. On both occasions the staff was great, the rooms were immaculate and the atmosphere was relaxing. We were with our 4 year old son, and were a little disappointed in the children's pool. It was about a food and a half deep and was not that big, as it was not attached to the main pool. The main pool had no areas shallow enough for a child. The waves at the beach were too rough for a child (they were pretty rough for adults too). The beach does not gently slope from the hotel to the water. There is a steep drop off (4 or 5 feet) between the area where the beach chairs are and the area near the water. All the hotels along the strip on either side of the Marriott had this (due to erosion from a hurricaine maybe?). If you are looking for a place with a relaxed atmosphere, this might be your place. But I would pick someplace else with smaller waves and a more dynamic childrens pool for a family with small childres.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

I spent 4 days in June/2010 with my wife during our Mexico trip vacation.

Just like all the other hotels, Marriott CasaMagna is located at the hotel strip. The location is really nice, the beach is nice with white sand and blue waters. I don't think it is safe to let kids alone in the water because it has strong corrents. If you are a good swimmer it is ok.

Restaurants are nice and clean and service is very friendly and helpful. My reservation was for a room with garden view, but I was upgraded for free to an ocean view room (I guess the hotel was not full). Thanks for the lady that did my check in.

The only problem with the hotel is the very expensive internet rate. With so many hotels offering free wi-fi in the rooms, charging US$ 15,00 for 24 hour internet access is insane.

The hotel is perfect for vacations!

While in Cancun, make sure you don't miss Xcaret, Chichen Itza and the spectacular snorkling at Cozumel. Me and my wife were not impressed with Tulum.

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for a business conference. The Front Desk Personnel, Concierge, and staff in general were very friendly. They made you feel right at home. They answered all of your questions and always ensured you were taken care of, no matter what the problem.

I would go back here again if I had to stay in Cancun. Both the Casa Magna and the JW Marriott, which are connected by a walkway, are nice places to stay. The Mikado restaurant was really nice as well.

The pool is quite big and has a swim up bar. I never had a chance to use this but it looked pretty nice. The hotel is right on the beach so you just walk down the stairs and you are there on the sand, connected to the strip, where all of the other hotels are. This place is truly paradise with white sand and blue beaches.

I would definitely recommend this place for business travel, or even a romantic getaway. If you want to go to the "Party Center," it's a short $1 bus ride away. The bus is pretty safe and a mix of toursits and locals. Take the bus versus the taxi, a taxi will cost you $10 for the "party center" area and about $20 to get to downtown, one way. Bus is way cheaper at $1 one way. The bus stop is at the front of the hotel, where the benches are, you can't miss it!!

Overall, good stay, am missing Cancun already!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

We traveled to the Cancun Casamagna for eight nights with our six year old grandson and returned last week. We spent several weeks looking at reviews, some up to nearly the time we departed, and generally found them to be helpful, accurate and positive. During our stay, the hotel was not even half full so we asked about an upgrade from the standard garden view included in our hotel/flight package and we wound up with a beautiful ocean view corner room on the third floor overlooking the pool on the right and the ocean straight on from our large balcony for an extra $40 a night,half of what that upgrade would normally cost. My wife checked out the standard room which turns out to be overlooking a roof top so the upgrade was definitely worth the extra cost. We loved Cancun,( this being our first trip there) and will want to return and would book the same hotel and even the same room if possible.

A couple of disappointments were the La Capilla restaurant on site and the La Dolce Vita across the street. We know that things change re restaurants but a second chance at La Capilla was again underwhelming. During our stay we found the Mikado Japanese restaurant and the Thai restaurant to be the best food if dining in the hotel complex. Maybe future visitors will have different opinions but as I say, things change. Many reviewers noted the breakfast buffet which cost around $20 a head. We were not all-inclusive but found that the room service breakfast (and even dinner one night) was the best deal. The servings were so huge that three people could easily split an omelette or order of French toast or pancakes. Omelettes always included ham, cheese and home fries regardless of how simple you ordered them. A large basket of toast, pot of coffee (which wasn't terrific) and a big glass of juice, again enough for three people always came with the service. Our grandson, being the world traveler that he is, thanks to his grandparents, is quite an aficionado of room service. We ate in one night and had a great chicken caesar and hamburg on the patio with our Walmart wine. So I would recommend this as I think we didn't spend much over $20-30 for all of us for breakfast which was actually enough to get you past lunch and on to dinner.

We took the bus into town early in the trip and got a few essentials like wine and spirits and some snacks; much cheaper than the hotel and even the seven-elevens. The para sailing, submarine, etc. are all easy to book either on the beach or across the street at Aqua World. The Wet and Wild water park is a 15 minute bus ride or $15 cab which one should consider after a day of being wet, wild and exhausted.

Everything most other writers have noted, the beautiful and well-kept facility, the friendly and accommodating staff and laid back nature ideal for kids (compared to the more elegant place next door) we found to be very accurate. One wonders what it is that causes the odd negative review. Many people mentioned Willy (Wilbur) the photographer on site and we were really happy to run into this delightful and talented individual. He got the kid to do amazing things in the pool and on the beach and with a little iphoto editing, we have some really outstanding, professional looking pictures. Willy also gave us a really good deal on the pictures we chose out of the nearly hundred he took. I won't mention how good, but let's say he is very generous.

Many writers also commented on the beautiful, expansive beach which one has to get to by scaling a four foot precipice of sandy beach above the actual shore line. Let's make that more like eight or ten feet. Our grandson with his pail and shovel dug out a safe way for us to get down to the shore between digging his hole to China. The waves were up only a couple of days and otherwise calm, warm, and crystal clear. One thing comes to mind re the beach: kids (and even adults) would be wise to pack those things that look like shoes but are meant to be worn in pools, beaches, etc. The small, sharp, broken shells washing up on shore can be tough on your feet.

As many reviewers have said, this is a wonderful, clean, kid friendly hotel at a really good price. It's a Merriott resort and one does pay resort fees for a lot of things, but we never really felt we were being gouged. As mentioned, this was our first trip to Cancun and have nothing with which to compare, but as said, we'd go back to this place anytime.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

The Casa Magna hotel is great! I just returned last night and I'm still thinking about the great hotel and how it compares to other Marriott's here in the USA. This is my second time staying at the Casa Magna and I'm still impressed. I visited Cancun 6 years ago and it seemed like the entire place was dead. The hotel was NOT busy and many of the restaurants and bars were empty. It was nice not having to fight the crowds, but it was a little weird to see how quiet everything was.

I booked two rooms because my 22 year-old sister and boyfriend were joining us and I booked them an all-inclusive room and a regular room for myself. The all-inclusive room was $219.00/night (booked through Marriott.com) and the regular room (with free breakfast) was $104.00/night, which I booked through Orbitz.com. The all-inclusive was worth it for my sister and boyfriend because they drank a lot of alcohol. Since they had the all-inclusive, we ate all our meals at the hotel. And a few times, the staff would even charge my drinks/food to the all inclusive so we didn't have to pay.

Here is my quick (brief) review:
Room: Great! I initially booked a resort view room, but upgraded to an ocean view room for $40.00. It is worth every penny!! If you're on vacation, it's better to wake-up to the ocean then to the street and 7-11 :). The room was very clean, the bed was comfortable, and the cleaning staff were great!

Service: Front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. The service at the hotel restaurants was very slow! (I think since they are not busy, they have a smaller staff.)

Beach: The beach is SOOO much better than 6 years ago! However, there is a big drop-off right before you enter the water, but it's not a problem. The hotel staff builds a "sand ramp" to help you get down to the water. The water was warm, but rough at times, which made it difficult to swim. I was disappointed to see the amount of garbage that was left of the beach from day to day. Guests just left their trash assuming somebody would pick it up, and I was surprised to see that nobody picked it up. My husband and I would go around each morning and pick up the trash around our beach chairs so it wouldn't attract flies or birds. (I think since the hotel staff is small right now, they didn't have anybody to clean the beaches.)

Food: The food at all the hotel restaurants is great!!! Portions were huge and the flavor was great! There were a few items on the menus that were not included in the all-inclusive, which was a little frustrating.

Transportation: I arranged for the hotel shuttle for $14.00/person each way and it was worth it! We experienced excellent service and it was a great way to avoid all the taxi drivers. We took the bus to shop and go out and it was 7.5 pesos per person. I recommend using exact change because the driver didn't know how to give back the correct amount of change it it wasn't exact change.

Shopping/Nightlife: Really good shopping for good prices. The bars (Senor Frogs, Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, etc.) were dead!! They tried their best to make it fun, but with only a few people around, you felt funny participating in the activities :).

Tip: Don't worry about the weather. The weather was stated to be 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms every day that we were there and we have beautiful weather! I think the off shore winds kept the storms away from the beach.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to CasaMagna Marriott Cancun? Share your experiences!