“Great Hotel, Nice Stay, Would go back again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CasaMagna Marriott Cancun

You added CasaMagna Marriott Cancun to your Saves list
CasaMagna Marriott Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Kukulcan, Retorno Chac L-41 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Night & $50 Credit
Ranked #25 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Texas
“Great Hotel, Nice Stay, Would go back again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for a business conference. The Front Desk Personnel, Concierge, and staff in general were very friendly. They made you feel right at home. They answered all of your questions and always ensured you were taken care of, no matter what the problem.

I would go back here again if I had to stay in Cancun. Both the Casa Magna and the JW Marriott, which are connected by a walkway, are nice places to stay. The Mikado restaurant was really nice as well.

The pool is quite big and has a swim up bar. I never had a chance to use this but it looked pretty nice. The hotel is right on the beach so you just walk down the stairs and you are there on the sand, connected to the strip, where all of the other hotels are. This place is truly paradise with white sand and blue beaches.

I would definitely recommend this place for business travel, or even a romantic getaway. If you want to go to the "Party Center," it's a short $1 bus ride away. The bus is pretty safe and a mix of toursits and locals. Take the bus versus the taxi, a taxi will cost you $10 for the "party center" area and about $20 to get to downtown, one way. Bus is way cheaper at $1 one way. The bus stop is at the front of the hotel, where the benches are, you can't miss it!!

Overall, good stay, am missing Cancun already!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

We traveled to the Cancun Casamagna for eight nights with our six year old grandson and returned last week. We spent several weeks looking at reviews, some up to nearly the time we departed, and generally found them to be helpful, accurate and positive. During our stay, the hotel was not even half full so we asked about an upgrade from the standard garden view included in our hotel/flight package and we wound up with a beautiful ocean view corner room on the third floor overlooking the pool on the right and the ocean straight on from our large balcony for an extra $40 a night,half of what that upgrade would normally cost. My wife checked out the standard room which turns out to be overlooking a roof top so the upgrade was definitely worth the extra cost. We loved Cancun,( this being our first trip there) and will want to return and would book the same hotel and even the same room if possible.

A couple of disappointments were the La Capilla restaurant on site and the La Dolce Vita across the street. We know that things change re restaurants but a second chance at La Capilla was again underwhelming. During our stay we found the Mikado Japanese restaurant and the Thai restaurant to be the best food if dining in the hotel complex. Maybe future visitors will have different opinions but as I say, things change. Many reviewers noted the breakfast buffet which cost around $20 a head. We were not all-inclusive but found that the room service breakfast (and even dinner one night) was the best deal. The servings were so huge that three people could easily split an omelette or order of French toast or pancakes. Omelettes always included ham, cheese and home fries regardless of how simple you ordered them. A large basket of toast, pot of coffee (which wasn't terrific) and a big glass of juice, again enough for three people always came with the service. Our grandson, being the world traveler that he is, thanks to his grandparents, is quite an aficionado of room service. We ate in one night and had a great chicken caesar and hamburg on the patio with our Walmart wine. So I would recommend this as I think we didn't spend much over $20-30 for all of us for breakfast which was actually enough to get you past lunch and on to dinner.

We took the bus into town early in the trip and got a few essentials like wine and spirits and some snacks; much cheaper than the hotel and even the seven-elevens. The para sailing, submarine, etc. are all easy to book either on the beach or across the street at Aqua World. The Wet and Wild water park is a 15 minute bus ride or $15 cab which one should consider after a day of being wet, wild and exhausted.

Everything most other writers have noted, the beautiful and well-kept facility, the friendly and accommodating staff and laid back nature ideal for kids (compared to the more elegant place next door) we found to be very accurate. One wonders what it is that causes the odd negative review. Many people mentioned Willy (Wilbur) the photographer on site and we were really happy to run into this delightful and talented individual. He got the kid to do amazing things in the pool and on the beach and with a little iphoto editing, we have some really outstanding, professional looking pictures. Willy also gave us a really good deal on the pictures we chose out of the nearly hundred he took. I won't mention how good, but let's say he is very generous.

Many writers also commented on the beautiful, expansive beach which one has to get to by scaling a four foot precipice of sandy beach above the actual shore line. Let's make that more like eight or ten feet. Our grandson with his pail and shovel dug out a safe way for us to get down to the shore between digging his hole to China. The waves were up only a couple of days and otherwise calm, warm, and crystal clear. One thing comes to mind re the beach: kids (and even adults) would be wise to pack those things that look like shoes but are meant to be worn in pools, beaches, etc. The small, sharp, broken shells washing up on shore can be tough on your feet.

As many reviewers have said, this is a wonderful, clean, kid friendly hotel at a really good price. It's a Merriott resort and one does pay resort fees for a lot of things, but we never really felt we were being gouged. As mentioned, this was our first trip to Cancun and have nothing with which to compare, but as said, we'd go back to this place anytime.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

The Casa Magna hotel is great! I just returned last night and I'm still thinking about the great hotel and how it compares to other Marriott's here in the USA. This is my second time staying at the Casa Magna and I'm still impressed. I visited Cancun 6 years ago and it seemed like the entire place was dead. The hotel was NOT busy and many of the restaurants and bars were empty. It was nice not having to fight the crowds, but it was a little weird to see how quiet everything was.

I booked two rooms because my 22 year-old sister and boyfriend were joining us and I booked them an all-inclusive room and a regular room for myself. The all-inclusive room was $219.00/night (booked through Marriott.com) and the regular room (with free breakfast) was $104.00/night, which I booked through Orbitz.com. The all-inclusive was worth it for my sister and boyfriend because they drank a lot of alcohol. Since they had the all-inclusive, we ate all our meals at the hotel. And a few times, the staff would even charge my drinks/food to the all inclusive so we didn't have to pay.

Here is my quick (brief) review:
Room: Great! I initially booked a resort view room, but upgraded to an ocean view room for $40.00. It is worth every penny!! If you're on vacation, it's better to wake-up to the ocean then to the street and 7-11 :). The room was very clean, the bed was comfortable, and the cleaning staff were great!

Service: Front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. The service at the hotel restaurants was very slow! (I think since they are not busy, they have a smaller staff.)

Beach: The beach is SOOO much better than 6 years ago! However, there is a big drop-off right before you enter the water, but it's not a problem. The hotel staff builds a "sand ramp" to help you get down to the water. The water was warm, but rough at times, which made it difficult to swim. I was disappointed to see the amount of garbage that was left of the beach from day to day. Guests just left their trash assuming somebody would pick it up, and I was surprised to see that nobody picked it up. My husband and I would go around each morning and pick up the trash around our beach chairs so it wouldn't attract flies or birds. (I think since the hotel staff is small right now, they didn't have anybody to clean the beaches.)

Food: The food at all the hotel restaurants is great!!! Portions were huge and the flavor was great! There were a few items on the menus that were not included in the all-inclusive, which was a little frustrating.

Transportation: I arranged for the hotel shuttle for $14.00/person each way and it was worth it! We experienced excellent service and it was a great way to avoid all the taxi drivers. We took the bus to shop and go out and it was 7.5 pesos per person. I recommend using exact change because the driver didn't know how to give back the correct amount of change it it wasn't exact change.

Shopping/Nightlife: Really good shopping for good prices. The bars (Senor Frogs, Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, etc.) were dead!! They tried their best to make it fun, but with only a few people around, you felt funny participating in the activities :).

Tip: Don't worry about the weather. The weather was stated to be 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms every day that we were there and we have beautiful weather! I think the off shore winds kept the storms away from the beach.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I have to say I was a little hesitant about going to Cancun. Im happy to admit that I was completely off base. Staying at the Marriott CasaMagna was once of the best vacations of my life. The hotel staff was beyond friendly and helpful, the food was to die for and the location was priceless.
Myself and 2 friends went for 5 nights and did the all inclusive deal. This deal is definitely the way to go. Unlike a lot of other all inclusive resorts none of the restaurants (minus breakfast of course) served their food buffet style. Very meal was a la carte. The hotel includes 4 restaurants: A sports bar, an Argentinean steakhouse, a Japanese steak house, and a Thai restaurant – all of which the all inclusive is good at. The only thing that cost extra ($10) is steak and lobster, which I feel is very reasonable.
We had a partial ocean view room, which was more like a full ocean view room. The room was good size and extremely clean. The maids did a wonderful job as well.
Both the pool and the beach were amazing. The time of year was key I feel though. We didn’t once have a problem finding a chair with an umbrella at either the beach or pool.

I cannot sing enough praises for the Marriott CasaMagna. For both the price and the experience there is no where else I would stay or recommend anyone else to stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

We had a wonderful time. The hotel is beautiful, and the price we paid was an incredible value. We had a practically oceanfront room in "oceanview" category... It was so close we could hear the waves crashing all night. The pool and hot tub are huge. The service was great... The staff remembered our names and drink preferances. The food was very good and quite reasonable at the poolside, Thai, Japanese, and seafood restaurant at the J.W. Marriott next door. The hotel was very quiet at night (no party atmosphere) which was exactly what we wanted. The room was very clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The beach is absolutely gorgeous. The waves were rough for the first few days but calm later. We really enjoyed the Italian restaurant across the street from the hotel as well. We hope to return again and again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

My wife and I have stayed at the CasaMagna before in Summer of 2007. Both times we were spoiled by great customer services, beautiful rooms, excellent food and the beauty of Cancun. The new Thai restraurant is excellent. I was surprised to find the menu and the quality to be of that caliber. Also, the ambience of the restaurants setting and the layout made for a romantic evening with my wife. For breakfast, we just visited the same coffee shop for pastries and coffee. So, I cannot comment on the restaurants on if/how they serve breakfast. Most lunches were at the pool. Typical hotel pool food. Only difference between 2007 and 2010 is the portion sizes were considerably smaller. The pool is nice a clean. Make sure you get a spot earlier. People will go down and throw a towel in the late AM to save a spot. The swim up pool bar is great. Staff friend and willing to assist you in modifying your drink based on your unique taste (more booze please). The rooms are great. Dark hardwood furniture, nice decor, marble floors...balconies that face the ocean are priceless when you see, feel, and smeel the ocean and the breeze. For this stay, the fitness center was free. It was clean and nice. Could get warm, AC was on low. We played Tennis. Had to rent equipment, it was acceptable. Just need to avoid the two-to-three foot iquanas. One note: Although I normally would not recommend this. There is a Sport's bar on the premise. If you have to see a game, it's fine for a beer and the game. I wasn't impressed with anything else. I've seen some bad write-ups and I am sometimes puzzled how someone could ever have a bad stay here. But, I've seen that for almost ever hotel listed here. Final recommendation: 5 Stars or whatever we call them here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I was with a group of friends for the weekend of May 14 for a bachelor party. This is a great hotel with a friendly and attentive staff. From the moment we arrived, the staff made us feel at home and got us to our rooms. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast buffet as it had great food and was open to 11:30am each day. It was $22.00 per person, and well worth it!
The entire hotel was extremely clean and cared for. Before booking this hotel, I looked at the JW hotel (next door) and the Le Meridien (two hotels down the road). After going to Cancun and actually seeing those hotels inside, I was very happy with my decision. However, they did have nice pools, but the hotels felt more corporate and very plain. The architecture and openess of the Casa Magna made the place welcoming.
We used Cancun Express roundtrip to get to and from the airport, the service was great and on time. I booked online and recieved immediate confirmation of my transportation.
I am going back to Cancun in July and will be staying at this hotel again.
The pool and service at the pool bar was okay and always available to assist in getting food or drinks. However, none of them smiled or were overly friendly, but we didn't really care as we just wanted our drinks and be left alone.
Overall, a great experience and will definately recommend this hotel for couples, families, or a friends getaway. The taxis and bus system are easy to use, just confirm your rate with the driver to the location.

We did rent a car one day to go to Tulum and Xei-ha and had a great time. It was an easy drive, but took about an hour and 45 minutes to get to Tulum. ($5 pp entrance fee) Buy tckets at the hotel for Xei-ha as you do save 5% on the admission.

Enjoy the hotel, area and most of all have patience! Your on vacation and in another country........

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to CasaMagna Marriott Cancun? Share your experiences!