“Loved it!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CasaMagna Marriott Cancun

You added CasaMagna Marriott Cancun to your Saves list
CasaMagna Marriott Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Kukulcan, Retorno Chac L-41 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved it!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2005

I have to say that I was so touched by the service, splendor and scene of Marriott Casa Magna Resort. I was there May 22. I loved our advisor Oscar who helped us plan activities and the daily events that were scheduled. We went off to explore the shops and restaurants and loved the sushi bar Mikado and the Crab House Caribe across the street. The room was great and so was the view. Our housekeeper left notes for us saying how nice it is to have us as guests. When we left, the guys at the door and the desk service really did not want us to go. The pool was great, the jacuzzi always hot and the drinks at the pool bar fantastic. This place is a gem. I went with my best friend and will definitely come back again.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
Closter, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

I've just returned from paradise and I can't stop daydreamining. Where do I start? Okay, here's the rundown.
Pre-vacation MUST DO's:
* Buy Brant's E-Card: this saved us tons of money. There were four of us so we used two cards. All of the restaurants we ate at were great especially La Capilla and Champions (both in the hotel) and Iguana Wana. We also used the card for the breakfast buffet at La Capilla. It was $18 per person so with the card it comes out to $9 a person.
* After you order the E-Card you should definately book transportation from and to the airport. It was nice to have an air conditioned van waiting for us as soon as we stepped out of the airport. It was cheaper than getting a cab and comparable to getting on a bus with guests from several other hotels.
* If you plan on doing any tours you should also book these on Brant's website. We did the Jungle Tour, Horseback Riding, and the private Chichen Itza tour.

Okay, here's my take on the tours.
Jungle Tour - This was great because the company that Brant uses is located right across from the hotel so you can just walk over. The ride was fun and the snorkeling was incredible. They give you all the equipment you need (mouthpieces come individually wrapped in plastic covers) and water after the snorkeling. Just make sure to put on sunblock (two of us forgot and paid for it, royally). On the way back our guide led us through a really secluded jungle area that was narrow and a bit hard to navigate but fun. I highly recommend this.

Horseback Riding - This may not be for everyone. It's just a trail ride with a short segment of galloping (voluntary) and swimming. However, they discourage you from galloping if you don't have prior experience. Swimming with the horses was probably the highlight of this trip. You sit on the horses bareback (uncomfortable) and then you ride the horses through the water (about waist high). Sometimes, it's hard to stay on the horses and you might fall off (like my friend). One thing that was scary was that the horses get hot and have a tendency to lie down on the sand while you're still on it! You have to jump off when you feel the horse going down. It only happened to two people in our group but the whole time I was on the sand I was praying for my horse to stay cool. When you get back there is food and a swimming pool.

Chichen Itza - Everyone should do this. We opted for the private tour and it was fantastic. If you have four or more in your group this is the way to go! Our guide/driver (Fernando) was so sweet and very informative. Our van was air conditioned and had a DVD player. He played current movies and a short film about Chichen Itza so that we would not have to use a guide. After visiting the ruins we stopped by a cenote (beautiful but kinda scary because it looks like a big well in the ground) for a quick dip and lunch. I didn't expect such a great lunch but it was very yummy. It's a buffet style in a fancy looking hall. The bathrooms there were also immaculate. Fernando then took us through some traditional towns giving us a lesson on Mayan/Mexican culture. We stopped by a town centre for a bit of shopping. It is a very long drive (2.5 hours) and I could not imagine doing it on a tour bus with 50 other people. The ride was very comfortable and fly by because of the movies. If this is affordable, I highly recommend this.

We also did a zip line tour with alltournative tours (alltournative.com). This was great. We did 3 different zip lines, went bike riding, sat through a mayan ceremony, went tubing on a cenote, did some cave snorkeling, and had a delicious lunch. This tour is not as hard as it sounds. The zip lines were a lot of fun and our guide (Mario) was excellent. Everybody should do at least one tour from this company before they leave.

Transportation: You should take the bus whenever you can, it is definately an adventure. It's a lot cheaper than taking a cab, although we did give in to our laziness a few times. The bus works the same way as a cab. You can hail them at any point on the main road, they'll stop anywhere.

Hotel:
We had a garden view room but upgraded to an ocean view. It was definately worth the extra $30 a night. We were willing to get an ocean front but the front desk suggested getting an ocean view (which is a bit cheaper) because the view is just as good. The view from our room was breathtaking. Every morning I would wake up and step out onto the balcony amazed at the blueness of the ocean. It was something I could not get used and was stunned everytime I saw the water. Our room was decorated nicely and was very comfortable. The beds were a bit hard but we were so tired every night we hardly noticed. Magdalena made us animals with our towels which was very sweet and the room was always pristine after she serviced it. We tipped her a few dollars every night but you must write a note addressed to her, otherwise she won't take it. The pool, beachfront, lobby, and everything was very well maintained. Everything was beautiful. It really was a five star hotel. The Iguana Colada at the pool bar was sooo yummy. Everyone should try it.

All in all this was a fabulous trip. We had tons of fun. My hand is tired from typing so if you have any further questions please email me, I'd be happy to answer them.

Have a great time guys! If you've booked with CasaMagna I know you will have a wonderful trip.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2005

This place was absolutely amazing!!!!!! The rooms were beautiful and very clean. The service there was absolutely amazing. The maid service was excellent. They would leave you nice little notes daily. You can not get service like this in the US. I booked toors through the American Express counter in the hotel. We had David as our contact and he was great!!! I scheduled a dolphin trip and I missed it. He waited late for me to come back to the hotel so he could give me a refund. In the US, you have to track people down to get your money back, not in Cancun. The beach was amazing and so was the ocean. The hotel was located in the hotel zone and it was very easy to get anywhere you felt like going. It was also very economical. We charged drinks and food to our room and our bill for 4 days of room service was only $150 American. The people at the hotel and in Cancun in general were so warm and inviting. I absolutely loved it and plan on going back in the near future. This was the best vacation ever and the best hotel I ever stayed at. No worries here!!!!!

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2005

My girlfriends and I just got back from Cancun on May 26th. It was my 1st time in Cancun. And the Marriot's service is what made my experience worth while. I would definetly recommend Marriot Casa Magna to any one.

Service was awesome, not matter where you went to in the hotel. We only had dinner in La Capilla, but the food was excellent. Could have not asked for any thing better. We also had access to the JW Marriot and had breakfast at Salsa Cafe. The buffet was very well mixed for everyones taste.

I just have to say couldn't have made a better choice. Most definatly will return to Cancun and stay at the Marriot Casamagna.

the south
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2005

Just returned from a short, but wonderful stay in Cancun. I did a lot of research/reading of reviews on tripadvisor.com and am so very glad I did - everything turned out perfect!

We (me and two young ladies who just graduated from hs the night before we left) stayed at the Marriott Casa Magna. The hotel was exceptional - definitely upscale and well maintained. We had an ocean view room right in the center of the hotel that had a large balcony that overlooked the pool area, grounds and ocean - spectacular to say the least! The entire hotel was immaculate and beautiful - the public areas, the grounds, the beach, and our room.

The multiple shades of blue water set against the sky, sun, and clean white sand made the beach a visual masterpiece. The ocean water was crystal clear and so refreshing. There were plenty of bright blue beach umbrellas and lounges for relaxing on the beach or around the pool area. Beach towels were provided at the cabana by the pool.

The Marriott Casa Magna is connected to the JW Marriott next door via a breezeway. We enjoyed the use of both spectacular pools. And if you are a spa person like me - the spa at the JW (not Casa Magna) was sensational – highly recommend at least one massage there!

We did a 3-hour snorkeling trip which was interesting - saw tons of fish, even a barracuda! Girls also parasailed - located right on the beach by the Casa Magna.

The food at the hotel was fine. We did venture out though and our favorites were the Crab House (located across the street) where we ate on the deck and watched the sun go down - wonderful! And the girls liked Jimmy Buffet's Margueriteville - laid back and fun!

Purchased Brant card which saved us food $$$ and also arranged private airport pickup and return with them prior to trip via their website. Also found his advice/tips about Cancun very useful. Highly recommend!

We rode the city bus rather than pay cab fares to markets and restaurants. It is so easy to use - stops on the main street in front of hotel and only costs 65 pesos (about 65 cents) per ride. You do have to let the driver know where you want stop when you get on - and I usually reminded him when I thought we were getting close.

This was my first trip to Cancun and it was a great experience for the three of us - a great time was had by all. I do plan to return with my husband sometime soon and will stay again at the Casa Magna. He likes to deep sea fish and I located a great fishing service a couple of blocks down from the hotel - that will make him happy, while I just r&r on the beach again!!!

Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

Just returned from a week in paradise. The hotel was WONDERFUL. My husband and I travel the world and were very pleased with the accommadations at the Casa Magna. I have been reviewing the comments from this site for the last 6 months and thought it was fitting to add a few things not mentioned.
The room was spacious even though comments made on this site indicated the rooms were small. The beds were comfortable.
We asked for a refrig for our room in order to stock beer, soda and water. This worked well. The added charge was $5 per night. We had an ocean view room that overlooked the resort to the south. It is well worth the added expense for an ocean view versus a garden view.
My husband was able to order a flower arrangement for our room and at very reasonable rate ($13). It was our anniversary.
The Brant card is a MUST. We saved over $200 in just 1 week. Almost all the Marriott restuarants honor the card.
Catch the bus on your first day to Walmart and stock up. By the way, Walmart had exceptional prices on everything including Tequilla to take home. The buses are very safe. We rode at all different times without a problem. The bus stop is right in front. We went to Walmart at 11:30 at night on the bus. Walmart is open 24 hours.
Market 28 had no real deals. Did better at the flea market on Hotel Zone.
Try the Blue Bayou at the Hyatt. It was not mentioned on this site before but is AAA and Foders recommandated. Best dinner we had. Of course it was on the Brandt card. Iguana Awana excellent also. Ate at JW Marriott Casa Salsa-great. Champios-great. The steak place at the hotel was okay. Food good. Service poor that night. Fargo was just okay. Walked to McDonalds one morning and nearly spent as much as breakfast at the hotel. With the Brandt card, the Marriott cost approximately $15 for 2 including coffee, juice, eggs, toast, hasbrowns, bacon, fruit and tip.
Book your excursion with Brandt also. We went to Tulum / Xel-Sha. I don't really like tours as a rule but this was ok. We did not use the all inclusive package at Xel-Sha and saved money.
It was suggested to try the Infinity pool at the JW. We walked over and did not like the pool. We were very comfortable at the Casa Magna pool with the swim up bar.
Tip your maid. It is well worth the added service you get.
Everyone at the hotel is so friendly and trying to go the extra mile. You can't go wrong staying here.

Allentown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

The hotel is beautiful and I was thankful for choosing it (thanks to those reviews prior). There is not too much more I can say that hasn't already been said. Not to focus on the negatives but I just wanted to point out two things that could make this hotel better.

1) The safe in the rooms are old fashoned. You need to get a key and a lock from the front desk and carry the key along with you...not much fun. The keypad locks where you pick your own combo are much nicer.

2) There is no refrigerator- well there is but it is full of all the stuff that they want to sell you at crazy prices. We had to buy a styrofoam cooler for our drinks.

Other than that, very nice.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to CasaMagna Marriott Cancun? Share your experiences!