“Am I Being Punk'd?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of CasaMagna Marriott Cancun

Save Saved
You added CasaMagna Marriott Cancun to your Saves list
CasaMagna Marriott Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Kukulcan, Retorno Chac L-41 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
30% Off in Paradise
Ranked #24 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Atlanta, GA
“Am I Being Punk'd?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I am currently staying at the Marriott Casamagna and it has been quite the experience. After having stayed here twice in the past and having great experiences I figured I couldn't go wrong this time and booked this trip with a friend. It's been a struggle since we got here...first we waited for an hour outside the airport for our transfer (Delta Vacations fault, not Marriott's) then we finally arrive and are told our reservation is for a guaranteed king bed---um no, I specifically asked for two beds (again Delta vacations fault, not Marriott's). After we showed our passports, signed some things and forked over the credit card, we were given a card with a number on it so we could go ahead and charge to the room. Excellent! We had a great lunch with a fantastic server and the went back to the front desk to check in. They told us the room was ready and started preparing the keys...a nagging feeling told me to confirm the 2 double bed room...sure enough, nope...they still had us down for a king. This was the start of me starting to blame this hotel for our less than satisfactory experience. They said 15 more mins to find a double room...we gave the a little over 20 before going back up. The result? A double room that she didn't sound too enthused about or a king suite (complimentary) with a fold out sofa...we opted for the king suite. It was okay...but that room isn't built for two adult women...it's more for parents with small kids. After a night with a metal bar in my back we decided to hit them up again for the ocean view double bed room I reserved and payed for. After some looking on there part they found us a room and we were both grateful and felt our luck was changing. The room was what we expected and perfect for our R&R needs. Then we had breakfast at the hotel and tried to charge it to our room. No go, they said our account was cut off and we had to pay cash. Thinking it was because we moved rooms I went to the front desk where I was informed that I had an outstanding balance of $3. So I asked why they didn't just charge to the card on file...they said they didn't have one on file. What? How could we even have checked into a resort hotel without putting a credit card on file for incidentals? That was ignored. So I confirmed that I needed to go get my credit card so they could put it on file again and hope all is in order now. I did it and they allowed me to pay the breakfast bill at the front desk and assured me all was well and in order now (meanwhile my friend is still in the restaurant waiting for everything to be worked out). The woman at the front desk also assured me she would call down to the restaurant and explain and I would have no issues. Sigh...wish it went down that way. Upon my return the waiter expected payment. I explained that I paid upstairs at the front desk and he asked for the receipt. I told the they kept it. He said we needed it and said he would accompany me to the front desk. By this time I am truly truly angry and completely annoyed. We arrived at the front desk and I just pointed to the waiter and let him hash it out with reception. Some words were said and at the end of the exchange he hightailed it out if there and the receptionist apologized for the confusion and and we were all set she did call down and tell him but he didn't check with his supervisor. At this point a tried to voice my displeasure at the whole situation but all she said was I am sorry. Maybe it I wasn't vocal enough so I wrote this review to help others decide whether to patron his hotel. Like I said loved it in the past which is why I chose it again and brought a friend. I can honestly say that I won't b back and likely neither will my friend (it was her first time in Cancun and this was her experience).
She seemed to think perhaps they were short staffed...maybe but others have had similar issues based on the convos I have overhead and the exasperated looks on fellow tourists faces at reception.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
MarriottCancun, Front Office Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us very much, especially since you decided to comeback after two previous great experiences in our resort. I apologize for the check in process and the fact that we could not satisfy your request of preferred room until your second day of stay. About your comments for the credit card on file for incidentals; we always asked to our guests if they would like to do it, but if they decline it is not mandatory. I regret that this was an issue for you, but I sincerely appreciate your feedback and I have shared this with our front desk staff and our Restaurant's Manager so we will personally take actions and continue training our staff. It would be a pleasure to host you once again if you give us the opportunity.
Tiffany S. (Front Office Manager)

2,048 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
Quartz Hill, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Staying at Marriott Hotels and Resorts I expect only the best but this resort went above and beyond!!! From the spacious rooms to the ocean views, this resort is for Everyone!!! Family friendly with its kiddie pool and tropical pool and...the private beach calling you into the waves of warm water. The staff were Amazing and took such good care of us. We will be back next year because of them and their resort!! Thank you CasaMagna!!!

Room Tip: Choose an ocean room. The views are Breath taking!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MarriottCancun, Hotel Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Laurie W:
I´m so happy that we exceed your expectations! Our staff works really hard every day to make it happen that our guests feel like home… Thanks so much for your wonderful comments and it will be a pleasure to welcome you again in your next trip to Cancun.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Please be careful in Cancun. My friend and I were chased, attacked and mugged getting off the bus IN FRONT OF THE HOTEL!!!! A bus full of people and the bus driver drove off all the while my friend and I struggled and screamed for help. Best kept secret in Mexico is the crime and unscrupulous people that pray on visitors. Security staff at the hotel was NOT helpful/compassionate to our situation, nor were the local police. View this as a warning to guard your belongings, personal space and invest in some self-defense training.
Aside from this incident and below-par security staff, our stay was ok. Hotel was clean, rooms are small, food and drinks expensive. This hotel is not all-inclusive wherein the charges add up quickly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
MarriottCancun, Director of Rooms Operation at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Carolyn V

I wish to thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip advisor regarding your recent stay at the CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort.

The security and well-being of our guests is Marriott’s principal concern and the CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort is no exception. I apologize for the lack of concern from our Security staff to your situation. The necessary steps have been taken to prevent this type of situation from happening again.

Thank you for your concern and for informing us of this incident.

Paulino Najera
Director of Rooms Operation
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Ok, I love Marriotts, you got me. But, I like value more. For the price, it's a dream. You can pay double for beach time but you cannot do better.

Food is fabulous there, but I like freewheeling in Cancun, becoming rarer. Save money, drink and munch up and down the strip until your toes curl.

After 12 million miles over 40 years, this really is Five Stars, not hype. John in the Heart of Texas.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Jhon :
Thank you very much for your preference and loyalty to Marriott, I’m glad that you enjoyed our resort, the service and facilities.
Hope to welcome you again!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We flew down to Cancun for my Birthday June 6th spent 4 days in paradise loved everything the buffet breakfast is superb and the staff very helpful and professional We especially look forward to talking with our friend Leo at the door.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear geminizer:
Happy Birthday!!!! We are honored that you have chosen our Resort for this celebration and I´m glad you had a great time. Leo and I definitely will be more than happy to welcome you again.
Best Regards
clt fd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

good location at seafront, good services, delightful breakfast, friendly staff, well equipped fitness center and spa. lovely hairdresser, (thank you Marisol).
I've only one regret: the room was a bit old fashioned (but comfortable) and would need a second door in order to ensure quietness.
I had the chance to to be given a basic room on one side of the hotel with a sea view.
priceless.
I recommend this hotel and I would return there.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear stephaneb:
I´m happy to read that you enjoyed our breakfast! I think La Capilla Argentina has the best buffet breakfast in the hotel zone! Thanks so much for your feedback we really appreciate your time to share your experience with us.
More than happy to welcome you again
Papillion, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

This hotel is awesome. It is a little pricey for food and drinks. Lunch for 3 at the sports bar was around 75 bucks with tip. That being said the food and the drinks were very good. The service, staff and rooms as well as everything else are top notch in this hotel. Great place to stay! We will be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear photo1024:
I thank you for having stayed in our property and for the great comments about our staff; they strive every day to make our guests feel at home.
Wish to welcome you again in your next trip to the Mexican Caribbean

Manuel Magaña / Hotel Manger

Been to CasaMagna Marriott Cancun? Share your experiences!