“Not as good as I expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of CasaMagna Marriott Cancun

Save Saved
You added CasaMagna Marriott Cancun to your Saves list
CasaMagna Marriott Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Kukulcan, Retorno Chac L-41 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
30% Off in Paradise
Ranked #24 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Cherokee, North Carolina
“Not as good as I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Upon arrival the hotel is beautiful. They took a bit longer to get us checked in maybe because we declined to upgrade to the oceanfront view for an additional $50 extra per night. We waited an hour, got something to eat and came back to find we still had to wait. Check-in was at 4pm and with the hotel not being full I found it a bit disappointing that we were having to wait well past the check-in time allowed. So they decide to stick us beside the ice machine and we immediately ask the bellman to have us changed and he was able to get us moved down a few more rooms on another level. The view was decent but I honestly don't care that much about a view. The rooms were nice with lovely furnishings. The only thing I noticed that was a bit dated was the rug seemed a little worn but really everything was to my standard as far as the room goes.

The food...well, breakfast wasn't as good as I hoped. It wasn't terrible since it was included in my rate but I would never pay $50 a day for the breakfast there. It was ok but nothing to get excited about. I loved the nachos and the chicken wings at the pool restaurant. My husband also had the fish sandwich and said it was great! The drinks at the pool bar are expensive and that's fine but unfortunately a bit weak with the alcohol. Our bartenders were very friendly and attentive and always remembered our room number without asking over and over. The steak house was great! The Japanese restaurant had very good sushi and their other food was only average. The Thai restaurant was terrible as well as Champions restaurant.

The pool was beautiful ad plenty big. The problem is there are rarely enough umbrellas so I learned to go down early (8am) to get one. By 9:30am they would all be taken. And I also noticed if people don't use the umbrellas or decide to leave their stuff to go do other things they just moved the umbrellas elsewhere (which we actually agreed with since it is only fair to those needing one). We were always there by 9am and always utilized them there so it wasn't an issue for us. Unfortunately they were only 5 or 6 umbrellas so lots of people were just out of luck. Get there early and stay at the pool area if you want an umbrella.

Check-out was a bit disappointing. I asked if we could have a late check out of a additional hour (and I am a silver Marriott member so this is part of the "perks") but they told me no. They took a few minutes to ask everyone at the front desk and just decided after looking at my account, no. I'm not exactly sure why they declined since this is supposed to be one of my perks as a silver member but I didn't argue about it. If they truly cared about who I was and wanted to know that I had 48 nights with Marriott this year the they would have taken more care to review my account. Another added bonus was 25% off at the restaurants and numerous times I had to notify my wait staff that the bill was not correct and they had to adjust it. For that I always knocked their tip down 5% since they didn't take the time to even look. The bar staff always got it right but rarely did the restaurants. And lastly, maid service was good until the last couple days and the she got lazy after I left a nice tip and bragged on her. And she tried to charge us for something from the minibar when we never took anything from there. I called the front desk and after they continued to question me about what we might have taken she finally decided I must be telling the truth and removed it from my bill.

All in all it was an ok vacation but not up to my service standard of Marriott. The USA Marriott's do a much better job with the food and customer service. For Marriott I wouldn't recommend this to those expecting Marriott standards.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed review. We have shared your comments with both the Housekeeping and the Food and Beverage Department Heads in order to secure consistency in their services. We are glad to announce that we are acquiring new umbrellas for both pool areas of the CasaMagna and our sister property the JW Marriott Cancun Resort. New beach cabanas are also being placed in the beach area for our guests to enjoy.

2,048 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is a beautiful Hotel and sits next door to the Marriot JW hotel. The CasaMagna is designed to give the feel of a Mexican hacienda with covered verandas with plants and fountains. We were upgraded to a corner suit room with an enormous balcony that wrapped around and had lounge chares as well as a table and 4 chairs. The beach was great and the morning buffet which lasts from 0630 until 11:00 can easily suffice for lunch as well as breakfast. There is a 7-11 across the street where you can get wine and snacks and a great seafood restaurant called Freds(doesn’t sound like much but it is fine dining). We took the bus for transportation on the strip. It was 80 pesos and runs every 4 or 5 minutes. We went on the catamaran trip to Las Mujeres and it was fun but if you are looking for snorkeling this is not the trip. The best snorkeling was with Aqua world. If you just want to snorkel than the group trip is the best deal. You are taken to an anchored two level boat and can go snorkeling as long as you want in a great area. Many people take the jungle tour which goes to the same area but you get to drive your own two seater boat. The snorkeling is for just about 40 minutes and the cost is more.

Room Tip: The ocan front rooms have a slightly better view but teh ocean view rooms also have a good view of t...
Hilton Head, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott Casa Magna for one night following my trip to Riveria Maya since I could not get a flight. After staying at an all inclusive resort, I was a bit disappointed with the service at the Marriott. The room was beautiful with a beautiful balcony and ocean view room.

The beach was way too rough to swim. Impossible. The pool was okay. It was very clean but the service was lacking. After sitting for 15 minutes at the pool bar I was finally offered a drink and it was not very good. I asked if I could have rum on the top of my drink like any resort does because Rum is so cheap - he told me that the Marriott was not an all inclusive resort. So I didn't bother with another drink. They were actually a bit on the rude side which was strange to me since the service at Playa Del Carmen was spectacular.

The pool was very boring. All couples and children running around. There was no music, no entertainment, and furthermore since it was windy - they didn't allow the pool umbrellas to be raised, so therefore no shade.

I didn't visit any of the restaurants.

I went to the lobby bar and had buy one get one free mojitoes. $13.00 for two. I don't think that was the best deal.

I am thankful I didn't spend a whole week there. I was bored to death.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
We regret that our pool’s atmosphere was not up to your expectations. We work hard to please both our guests that prefer a more relaxing atmosphere and those who want to participate in some recreational activities without inconveniencing one another. We do have an Activities Program which may vary depending on the weather, the guests’ preferences or the time of the day. We sincerely thank you for sharing your comments with us and be sure they have been taken in consideration.
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This hotel is a beautiful designed hotel, in a great location. Easy to get around.
The staff are friendly and helpful. If anything sometimes they tried to be too helpful, with phonecalls wanting us to collect our welcome gift, and housekeeping checking on us. Otherwise our staff was great. It is such a beautiful location. I would stay here again. The breakfast was also an excellent option.

Lexington, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed in the CasaMagna Marriott in Apr 2013. We stayed there for 6 nights, and we found the bugs in room in the last night. The front desk changed room for us, and the toilet makes very loud noise. The whole vacation was ruined after the seeing the bugs in the room.

Here is the bugs that we saw in the room:

There was one review mention the loud noise in the toilet, and I thought it was fixed. Apparently, it was not.

Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
In spite of the thorough cleanliness and fumigation procedures that we follow, we might find that it is extremely difficult to eliminate all insects in a tropical area such like ours. We are sorry that this happened to you and we sincerely thank you for having reported this during your stay. That helped us to take immediate corrective actions and of course we will keep a close eye on this matter.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for two days whilst on business in Cancun. The hotel is a large property and primarily used for leisure.

There is not an executive lounge for Marriott Rewards members at this property.

My room was clean and well presented. It was larger than a normal US Marriott room and had a table and dining chairs as well as a sofa.

The bathroom is outdated but clean and well maintained. Amenities are Bath And Body Works, nothing special but do the job.

Mini bar is well stocked with lots of products.

Hotel has a lobby bar, pool bar, sports bar, Thai restaurant and a Japanese restaurant. There's is also a well stick hotel shop which has a fresh cake counter, clothing and souvenir section.

Breakfast is a buffet which is well stocked and has an egg station, which was really good. Furniture looking a bit worn out and need of renovation, but nothing too terrible.

Staff friendly with a good understanding of English.

Wifi available in all the rooms and public areas. Free to gold and platinum rewards members.

Modern gym with plenty of equipment. Spa and kids club also.

Car hire company also on site if you want to explore the local area. Not much to see though. The property is located on a long thin island that is hotel after hotel. It has been built specifically for tourism (mainly from the USA).

Great for business or if you want a week in the sunshine, but not much else to see or do.

Overall, for me, great property for business travel. Will be back later in the year. There is a JW Marriott next door, which looks great!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The staff is friendly and accommodating stayed for 6 days.

Decent room with fairly quiet beach compared to some of the more "party" oriented properties. It has a great breakfast buffet. If you can get the inclusive deal, get it because it is a much better deal than just getting the room and paying food separately.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family