“Just like old times” 4 of 5 stars
Review of CasaMagna Marriott Cancun

You added CasaMagna Marriott Cancun to your Saves list
CasaMagna Marriott Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Kukulcan, Retorno Chac L-41 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Night & $50 Credit
Ranked #23 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Massapequa, New York
“Just like old times”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Just returned from the beautiful Casa Magna with my husband and two kids. Last time I was there was in my childhood. It is still as beautiful, clean and relaxing. The wifi worked great in my room and I also enjoy the well layed out breakfast buffet(Marriott Rewards) I was surprised the Marriott discount couldn't be applied to the eateries in the JW Marriott as I WAS able to charge the food to my room atCasa Magna from there. This was strange. I felt the hotel staff was amazing and helpful. Room cleaned so quickly each day. I agree that the concierge was uninformed as to restaurants off the hotel zone and had limited menus to look at. When I asked them about nightly entertainment they told us there was none(only a pianist at JW bar) and upon arriving back at the hotel Sat. night sure enough there was a trio of performers. It was a nice surprise but why wouldn't they know that? One concierge was delightful and helpful. His name was Antonio. Well informed. Overall we loved our stay here and would do it again in the future! 3rd times the charm...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Dana Point, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had a great time here, staff was amazing, food was excellent, and the pool/beach area is exceptional. JW Marriott is right next door so we were able to roam freely to their pools as well. I highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We enjoyed our five night stay at the CasaMagna resort. The beach is great with plenty of chairs and thatch umbrellas. We never had a problem getting a good spot. We used Marriott miles to stay but when purchasing food, drinks and incidentals... be careful, it is very expensive. I guess I was naively thinking we would get good values in Mexico....
The staff were very friendly. They ALWAYS greeted us in a nice positive way. Overall, a nice stay.

Room Tip: We chose a "Garden View", it was an upgrade cost to have an ocean view... but we has a nic...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Very aggressive sales for Aquaworld which I found to be unsafe for snorkel. The instructor left my sister out in the ocean and just told her to swim back without assistance when she was out of breath. They had 2 guides in the ocean at the time but no care or thought was given to have one guide stay with the group and one to assist her safely to the boat. Additionally, it took 3 boats to get to the main snorkel boat whcih was a waste of time, tips were requested at each boat (ofcourse). Lastly, on the snorkel boat they ran out of masks and we waited an hour to be able to swim. Makes no sense when they took the money for the tour upsfront then how do you run out of equipment?

All in all, can't believe Marriott would have an unsafe, and not well equiped operator on site.

Hotel was ok. For $275+ a night it was a decent room but no coffee machine in room. Facilitiies are older spanish style and no food included. Buffet breakfast was pretty good. They cleaned but were slow to clear a bunch of dishes in the hallway from ppls room service which always smelled like nasty fish.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. We have shared your comments with the Aquaworld Marina directives to check on their tour guides and equipment. We have also forwarded your comments to our Room Service Manager to reinforce the prompt pick-up for service trays.
Corfu, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a great stay at Casa MAGNA Hotel but still have a few comments about the service . When arrived ( we were on a honeymoon ) they told us they have a two single bed room and I told them that I had emailed them and I have asked for a double. They said we don't have an email from you but I had a copie with me so even when I saw here she still said we don't have one . Anyway finally they managed to fit as on a double bed but nobody took us to our room we caried our bags our selfs. And same happend on our last day when we checked out.
While there we think that the breakfast was overpriced as well as most of the guest thought and the alternative Coffe shop was too.
The rooms were old but clean and the lady's did a great job .
The staff around the pool area very friendly and helpfull and the staff at the entrance.
Would go again but I thing they should consider a few of there guests comments.

• Stayed January 2013
Munster, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We are gold elite Marriott members and were upgraded one level to an oceanfront room and free wifi service. 1st the room was fine, the view was beautiful, the maid service was good, room service was quick, wifi was terrible! If we weren't in the room we couldn't access it at all. If I had to pay for it. ($15 per day) I would have been very upset. Couldn't get it at the pool or hallways, it would drop out in the room from time to time.
We had the buffet breakfast as part of our room package. It was good, but after a week the choices were boring. Again if I was paying for it at $25 per person we would have been unsatisfied. No coffee makers in the room, so you go to the gift shop for a $3 cup. Drinks and food are VERY expensive in all areas. I asked for a mini fridge so i could go across the street to purchase some water , soft drinks and beer, hotel said they only have a few for the whole resort and none were available. They say right in the mini bar menu you can request one. I was put on waiting list but never got one the whole week.
They have half price margaritas from 4 to 6 in the lobby bar but it is buy 1 get the next free, meaning you can't have one drink at half price.
I don't want this review to sound completely negative. The lobby, pool and beach areas are drop dead gorgeous. We walked over to the JW for dinner at Gustinos one night and realized the Casa Magna had a much nicer common area then JW.
I don't know what previous reviewers are saying about the place needs updating. I just wish food and beverages weren't so expensive.

• Stayed January 2013
We always look forward to delivering a great service in all our areas. We have shared your comments with our Systems Manager and Executive Chef for continuous improvements. We appreciate your review.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Booked this last minute and it was a great choice. Time of year was perfect as the hotel was not crowded. Never had to fight for a space on the beach or pool or deal with people 'saving' spaces from 7am!!! Pre paid for breakfast on expedia which was the best decision as the breakfast would have been too expensive but delicious. If you like/want breakfast stick to the hotel as its so much more convenient as its not easy to find an alternative as there are mainly only hotels in the zone and the restaurants around are not worth losing beach time for. The rooms were nice. We were upgraded to an ocean view room on check-in which was so spacious, clean with a large balcony. Rooms are not particularly modern i.e very low old looking baths, dated furniture, no kettle/coffee machine, no free water but still loved the atmosphere and had a great time.
Only complaint would be the unhelpful and uninformed concierge. They never heard of any restaurant apart from the ones on the hotel zone strip when obviously guests would want to explore the more authentic restaurants and downtown area. The first concierge was absolutely no help so the next day I asked another who was even worse. I asked about 2 restaurants highly rated on tripadvisor for which I had no address. They had never heard of it. I was not paying the $15 for internet in my room for that and i couldnt even pay the $4 to use the business centre as it was closed. They offered no help with my dilemma. I asked if they had a business directory...no only an online version which obviously I could not access. They looked at me blankly and did not even offer to look it up for me on the computer staring them in the face. It was appalling, they just stood there which was the worst customer service i had ever encountered and definitely the standard of this class of hotel. Besides the awful concierge it was a great holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to CasaMagna Marriott Cancun? Share your experiences!