“GET THE ALL INCLUSIVE PACKAGE!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CasaMagna Marriott Cancun

You added CasaMagna Marriott Cancun to your Saves list
CasaMagna Marriott Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Kukulcan, Retorno Chac L-41 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
40% Ocean + Breakfast
Ranked #25 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Port Byron, Illinois
“GET THE ALL INCLUSIVE PACKAGE!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My wife and I went to Cancun for the first time in mid March. Between Spring Break going on and previous bad experience with all inclusive resorts we decided not to go that route. After some research we decided on the CasaMagna. While going through the booking process online I saw they offered an all inclusive package for around $700 extra for the two of us for the week. I thought "this could be the best of both worlds. A resort that is typically not all inclusive, but with the benefits of an all inclusive." Was I RIGHT!!! We received the same top notch service as all of the other people who were paying for their food and drinks as they went, but never had to worry about what we were spending. Several times through the course of our stay we thought we must be getting food or services that are not included and there will be a big bill at the end of the stay. When we checked out we owed $0.
We still signed for everything as if it were being billed to the room. We had breakfast every morning (almost $50 US), Lunch served on the beach every day (usually about $75 US) Several drinks throughout the day ($$$) and dinner at either Champions or LaCapilla every night ($100 to $150 US). All said and done if we would have had to pay the bill for everything we signed for it would have been about $2000 US and we didn't have to eat the mediocre buffet and drink the warm draft beer you usually get at an all inclusive. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the room service! Divine!!
If I didn't already have my trip to Hawaii planned for next year we would be going back to CasaMagna in a heartbeat. I guess I'll have to wait until 2013.
If they still have the all inclusive deal don't miss it! You won't be sorry!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Where do I begin? We just returned from a week at the Marriott CasaMagna in Cancun and it was absolutely perfect. What a gorgeous resort! This is definitely a family resort and yes, there are children at the hotel. If you're looking for an adult-only vibe you may want to consider the JW next door. However, even with numerous families there for Spring Break the pool and grounds are spacious enough to still be relaxing and quiet. We NEVER had to search for a chair at the beach or the pool. No matter what time we got there, we found plenty of good chairs to choose from and the poolside service was attentive (without being annoying).

In fact, we found the overall the service at the hotel to always be friendly and extremely prompt... especially considering the size of the hotel. We called down with a few requests during the week and the service always arrived within minutes and was always followed with a phone call from the desk to make sure we were satisfied.

The beach was beautiful but yes, the water was rough ~ and dangerous. In response to an earlier post, I don't know the circumstances of the tragic recent drownings but in the hotel's defense, the flags posted were always red while we were there. And despite red flags there were still people who insisted on testing fate by venturing out farther and farther. The lifeguard on duty was attentive & constantly blowing his whistle and motioning for people to come back into shallower waters. I don't know the skills or qualifications of the lifeguards but this part of the Caribbean seems dangerous and riptides are not uncommon so people should definitely be responsible and take caution. The sea is beautiful for sunbathing and seaside strolls.... there's plenty of good swimming in the pool.

I used the fitness center several times and the facilities are basic & clean. My only complaint would be that it is extremely HOT and HUMID in there! Wow. Thought I was going to pass out.

The only on-site restaurants we tried were the poolside cafe and the Japanese restaurant Mikado. Both were quite good and reasonable (for resort dining). Very nice quality sushi at Mikado!

My girls took advantage of the salon for hair-braiding. Marisol was lovely and did a beautiful job on their braids ~ using lovely beads (much prettier than you find with the beachside braiding). The fee was very reasonable and comparable to (or less than) what you find on the beach.

By far one of the best services provided by the hotel is the hotel photographer!! If you can do it I would highly recommend this photo opportunity. The session is quick (less than 30 minutes) and free. We got so many beautiful pictures of our family (a few of which I've posted). We purchased the photo book (done within 24-hours and ready to take home-amazing!). This package also included all of our photos (40+) on a CD and a copyright release so that we can legally reprint as many of images as we want. This package was a tad pricey ($250) but still reasonable for professional photography. Such a treasure that we will cherish forever.

Overall, we had an amazing week at the Marriott CasaMagna and I would go back in a heartbeat! I would highly recommend this resort!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

My husband and I visited the CasaMagna in early March and met up with a friend there for a business event. We considered staying at the JW, but decided on the CasaMagna in order to be at the same location as our friend. I called ahead to inquire about using amenities at the JW as we were very concerned about leaving the property with the increasing Cancun violence that has been in the news. The hotel staff at the CasaMagna said very clearly that one can utilize both resorts in terms of amenities and even talked about the adults only pool there. I was not happy when we were then denied access to the pool at the JW. We have three kids under five (that we left at home) and the CasaMagna was LOADED with kids in the pool. I talked to Miguel Florez the manager at CasaMagna and he basically blew me off. Upon return, I then called Marriott customer service and they blew me off. Beware of this trick that the CasaMagna pulls in order to fill their hotel. I would recommend getting an email to confirm any promised amenities or services.
I was alarmed at the most recent headlines of the drowning directly in front of the JW. It sounds like the emergency response in Cancun is a joke and no staff members knew CPR. Two American tourist docs performed CPR on the victim without success. There we lifeguards on the beach when we visited but to read now that they were under skilled is alarming.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

The Marriott CasaMagna is a very nice hotel. The layout of room wings (2 of them) reminded us of the layout of the Marriott St Kitts. Open, airy, tropical and well maintained. I'm a reward member and stayed based on points so we were not presented with the upgrade routine many comment on. I will point this out, the only rooms without an ocean view would be the ones facing the bay area, which is the front of the hotel (at least that is what it seems). The hotel is shaped like a squared U... so rooms at the bottom of the U would face the bay, all others have the ocean view. If your perception of ocean view is ONLY the ocean then those rooms are limited... You are in the hotel zone so there is a hotel to the left (JW Marriott) and the right (Melia) of CasaMagna. The hotel is 6 floors and if you are on the first floor your balcony/deck area view of the ocean will be limited. We were in 4009 which was the JW side, 4th floor about the mid way point of the rooms. We had a great view of the ocean, yes we also had a great view of the JW. I didn't find it to be a problem. The room numbers start from low to high relative to is location to the ocean. Room 4001 is closer to the elevators and furthest away from the ocean, again 4009 was mid way. The wing next to the JW doesn't get the direct sun on the balcony, which was fine for me. After a long day on the beach I want to relax in the shade on the balcony. You still see the sun and moon rise on this side of the hotel. The sunset can be seen if you have a room with the bay view.

We had a king bed room. I didn't think the room was small (if you've ever stayed at the Marriott Copley in Boston these rooms would be considered a suite!). The layout of our room, there is a small hallway with the bathroom on your right, leads into the sleeping area, bed was large and comfortable, large bureau with flat screen, small table with two chairs, coffee table and sleeper couch. Plenty of room for the two of us. Also the balcony with two chairs and small table. The floors are tiled with an area rug. The only flaw I found was lack of counter space in the bathroom. I don't like clutter and there was plenty there to begin with. Its mexico so they have the ceramic Kleenix box, ceramic soap dish and ceramic platter for the toiletries they provide...those items alone took up the majority of the space. The closet was large enough with plenty of hangers and they had shelving to place your items on. Ladies they also have a lite up makeup mirror attached to the wall. Love that feature in a hotel. I liked our room, I travel for work and spend many nights in hotels, I found my room comfortable.

Food...I agree with the majority of opinions, its pricey and doesn't seem to meet expectations for the money. We ate at LaCapilla our first night, 2 entrees (chicken and tuna), 1 appetizer, 1 cerveza and a coke $93 US, not including tip. We both enjoyed our entrees but it was clear we would not be eating at the hotel every night. We had breakfast once, husband had the buffett, I ordered a waffle $37 US. This is were I don't agree with other posters...I don't think the buffett is worth the money. If you walk 5 blocks down the street to the mall they have a restaurant for an all you can eat breakfast for $8 US. Same food, less $$. Champions (typical for marriott) also didn't fit the bill. I ordered fajitas ($15) and it had 5 slices of red pepper and about 7 green slices. Plenty of chicken but proportionally it didn't hit the mark for me. Room Service was quick and this is a split decision. Our first RS order was good (burger, tacos, nachos), our second for turkey club sandwitches...didn't enjoy it. I expected Turkey slices not a hard disc of turkey that was drier than a raisin left in the sun! I think the toaster was broken as well. Price wise I didn't find RS to be that expensive (compared to the hotel restaurants). We shared our meal expenses with outside vendors. One night we ate at the market 28 food court (mexican version of a food court), we at at Mariachi's. Nachos (true mexican nachos...yum), fish tacos and 4 cerveza's.... total cost $26 US. I wish I did more research online for food options.

Cancun is a city and with the majority of patrons being US they've learned to jack up the prices. If you are looking to minimize your food/beverage expenses do your research ahead of time.

To reduce the alcohol expense we purchased a soft sided cooler at WalMart (yes they have super Wally worlds there) and bought cerveza's across the street from the hotel. They have a 7/11, OXXO and a no name store, all sell beers. The hotel has ice machines. We spent less then $10 for an 8 pack of Tecate', vs the $6 a beer at the hotel. We only had one drink at the swim up pool bar, frozen margaritas $17...

I would suggest purchasing all liquids across the street, water, soda, juice... its a short walk and worth the savings. Take one of those grocery store reusable bags with you on vacation, easy to transport drinks up to your room. The room also has a small fridge but its pretty well stacked with items they want you to purchase. We moved items out and put our own drinks in there. I should also mention Wally world sells large bags of tostado chips and makes fresh salsa on the spot...cheap, cheap, cheap and worth it. Wally world is near Market 28, we took the bus, its not a short bus trip so be prepared. We didn't taxi anywhere since the bus system is great and cheap!

Overall it was relaxing and the hotel is clean, friendly, spacious, quiet rooms. We had a nice vacation. Would I return to CasaMagna, yes, would I return to Cancun for a vacation....no... to busy for us...felt like we were at the beach surrounded by city life. We've been the Mexico a few times prior and stayed in Solimon Bay and Playa Del Carmen...I enjoyed those areas more. Considering we only seen 2 Iguanas the enitre week in Cancun (proper) vs the many in Playa and near Tulum we learned that is our preference.

Enjoy.

old bethpage, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

We stayed for 6 nights at the Casa Magna Marriott from March 14-21. We couldn't have had a more amazing time. Everyone was great from the moment we arrived to the time we left. The Casa Magna really knows customer service. We did not have any problems with our original rooms (though I was ready to fight based on other reviews). The rooms were a little small - but then again - we were only using them for sleeping. The pool area and beach location was great. Service around the pool and beach was non-stop. We booked excursions through the on-site travel agency and everything was perfect and no more expensive than any other site. We booked the skyline bus to Chichen Itzen and we had an amazing time. It was worth the extra money.
We ate at many of the Marriott restaurants and while they were all pretty good, service was lacking at Champions - be prepared to wait. The Buffett breakfast was excellent at the hotel, though expensive. We had two free breakfasts - so we only had to pay for two.
We had a great time and would definitely go back again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Prescott, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

We spent four days at the CasaMagna Marriott in Cancun and then seven days out on Isla Mujeres. The Marriott's are a great hotel chain that know how to provide wonderful accomodations and know how to do customer service.

We did spend all our time here, and did all the meals here as well. We liked the food and there is plenty of options between the restaurants at CasaMagna and the JW Marriott next door. We did not go hungry.

The downside is that the hotel is located in a long string of hotels. It is just one after another. It was beautiful, but just not remote and tropical enough for us. And with all these hotels together along the beach, there is lots of people.

The following 7 days we spent out on Isla Mujeres. We missed the comfort and luxary of the Marriott, but also enjoyed the cheaper prices, and the less crowded beaches.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

Okay, after reading the many reviews of this hotel i'm glad we chose to stay here. All in all the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful for the most part. While we didn't have any issues with our room or any of the accommodations during our stay there were a couple of things that we did not like. When we checked in we were immediately offerd the option of upgrading our room for an additional $99 a night this would give us an ocean view but more importantly make the room immediately available to us instead of having to wait until between 4 and 5pm to check-in. See the scam? I thought you would. I opted to do the upgrade regardless thinking the ocean view would be better than the standard garden view and it was barely after 1pm when we arrived at the hotel. This was my first mistake. Ocean view rooms are not all equal. We ended up with a very nice view of the hotel next door (JW Marriott) as our room faced north with the ocean, obviously to the east. On to mistake number two. When checking in we used a card for incidentals but were not told that there would be an immediate charge to the card. Beware of this. If you are using a debit/credit card and the place a charge on it you cannot get an electronic return of your money. Instead they give you cash at the check-in counter, in pesos, and you are subject to exchange rates and fees. This ended up costing us around $100 usd with nothing to show for it. Lastly, minor issue but still worth noting is don't expect to want to use the bath tubs. They are not exactly the cleanest you would expect for such a hotel. After closer inspection we found ourselves not wanting to even touch the walls or curtain in the shower and debated wearing our flip-flops as well. Aside from the things mentioned above the hotel itself was very nice with great views of their pool/oasis area and the beach from the main lobby and wings. We did not book and all inclusive plan and we're glad we didn't s the hotel restaurants were not very good at all, aside from breakfast but that's pretty hard to mess up. Save your money and go eat at the Crab House or Calypso's or one of the other fine places to eat not directly connected to a hotel.

Final note: DO NOT book excursions through Apple Vacations! Wait until you get there and do excursion booking through the local Apple Representative. We paid to go to Chichen Itza via Apple Vacations here in the states. When we got there we were greeted by an Apple Rep who was supposed to make all the reservations for the excursion for us. He told us we would be going on Monday at 7:20 am. We waited for the bus for two hours after 7am and after many phone calls and waiting around discovered that he didn't make any reservations. When we confronted him directly his exact quote was "You booked it through Apple not through Alex; it's not my problem". If they don't make money off your trip they don't care if you don't make it so don't waste yor time trying to set up somethingin advance, just do it all when you get there; the price is the same. At least this way the have personal stake in you making your trip.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to CasaMagna Marriott Cancun? Share your experiences!