I would agree with the most recent four star reviews that have been written about this resort. My husband, toddler and I stayed in a suite at the JW for the week of December 6th. While the grounds are nice and the pool is beautiful - there were areas that needed improvement. Conceirge restaurant recommendations were poor (there must be a kickback system in place). The food in all the JW restaurants was average at best (Gustino's was a huge disappointment - don't waste your time eating there!). Additionally, one afternoon, we actually had to argue with both the hostess and a waiter at Cafe Salsa to be seated outside (it had rained earlier and despite the fact that there were two other couples sitting outside, they didn't seem to want people out there as it would require more work) Also, beware - about 2/3 of the beach is gone from hurricane damage. The beach is much narrower and I was shocked during a morning walk to find all sorts of trash in the water and washed up on the sand (thankfully this one only one morning). This resort will gouge you for anything and everything ($6 is the going rate for a litre of water and a phone call to my credit card company cost $25! They even add service charges on to toll free calls! I understand making money off ammenities, but I felt like I was being taken advantage of.) Despite tipping the maids every day, our rooms were not well attended to. On the plus side, the bellmen were wonderful and the room service waiters were as well (we had a problem with one dinner and despite several calls to try to fix the problem, we were unsuccessful until a waiter that came to pick up the table left in our room by room service got involved). All in all, while this is a nice resort, it is still a Mariott and far away from being first class. (One additional warning, having Platinum status with Marriott gets you nowhere with this hotel - they could care less!) If you're going, try not to expect as much as the 5 star ratings indicate, make sure to go a supermarket or Walmart to purchase water and don't make any phone calls. The ocean is beautiful and the views from the hotel room balconies are great. Another tip - if you're looking for truly authentic Mexican food and venture down to Mercado 28 (downtown Cancun), try El Cejas. We had the best meal of our trip there for a mere $18!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, an oceanfront haven of unparalleled sophistication, impeccable service and warm Mexican hospitality designed for today’s most discerning travelers. Sumptuous comfort, chic residential styling and glorious waterfront views distinguish every room. Abundant taste marks every dining experience, from casual to elegant, and indulgent charm distinguishes each and every day. Relax on a spectacular beach kissed by the sun and caressed by the sparkling waters of the Caribbean. Stroll through traditional markets ablaze with color or listen to the lullaby of the ocean surf from your private balcony overlooking the sea. With its powdery sand beaches and ancient Mayan mysteries, Cancun will dazzle your senses ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Marriott, Tingo, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Orbitz, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Jetsetter, Venere and Agoda so you can book your JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Jw Marriott Cancun Resort
- Cancun Marriott