“Great family vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa to your Saves list
JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Kukulkan, Km 14.5 | Lote 40-A, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #18 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great family vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at the JW Marriott Cancun from May 13-17. We had the Ocean View guest room and my in-laws had the JW Luxury Suite.

Upon arrival, the bellhop efficiently handled our bags, ready to deliver to our rooms. Check in was quick and easy. Ms. Magali helped us sort out our Marriott Rewards account as well as provided excellent customer service and answered our questions with regards to hotel facilities, etc.

She also noticed that my birthday had come up on the second day of our stay and myself, my wife along with our 2 year old child were pleasantly surprised to discover a handful of balloons and streamers decorating our room. I also received a special treat at Sasi Thai on my birthday which made the day a little more special.

I'd also like to mention the courtesy and helpfulness exhibited by all their employees from the wait staff to the front desk people and the cleaning service. They made us feel very welcome and well taken care of as soon as we arrived all the way until we left.

The three infinity pools were fantastic. They interconnect across the front of the property. We never made it to the adults-only pool since we had our little boy with us. There's a fourth pool near Beachwalk that's not connected to the other three as well as a kiddie pool.

There were 2 jacuzzis and unfortunately the reviews were spot on. They are best described as "warm". We didn't mind as the weather was perfect even at night.

The Beachwalk restaurant was open when we first arrived but closed on Tuesday for renovation but it took no time at all to order our food and we didn't have to wait too long before they brought it out to us.

Breakfast at Sedona Grill was superb with a lot of variety to suit any appetite. I would recommend that you add it to your room package.

Sasi Thai is a must-visit. Amazing food and great service. We ate at Champions when we first arrived at the hotel and they serve standard fare (American) for the less adventurous eaters.

La Cappilla Argentina Steakhouse is another must-visit. They have superb steaks and amazing service.

Gustinos, Beachwalk and Sedona Grill are located on the JW Marriott side, the other restaurants, La Cappilla, Mikado, Champions and Sasi Thai are on the Casa Magna side.

The hotel grounds were clean and all areas of the hotel, room, hallways, pool, beach were also immaculate.

We were pleasantly surprised to see other families with children so I guess this classifies as a kid-friendly hotel. There weren't a lot of guests during our stay. The front desk said that this is their off season. I would certainly recommend staying around this time since you can choose any spot on the pools or the beach without having to "reserve" a spot. The wait staff at the restaurants are also more attentive since there's less of a crowd.

Certainly consider tipping the wait staff for exceptional service. Tips are welcome but you don't get the feeling that you need to tip to get good customer service. We also tipped the cleaning service daily.

Overall it was a great stay and we're definitely looking forward to coming back next year!

Note: We used USA Transfers for our transportation (see separate review regarding that service). We highly recommend them.

Room Tip: There are no bad views from any of the rooms at this hotel. The JW Suite is nice and spacious enough...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Plainsboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

One of the best beaches I have seen ... Infinity pool area is very good... Hotel lobby is clean
We got a good deal through Priceline name your own price and receptionist was gracious enough to change from 1 king bed to 2 double beds for us
All rooms are full or partial ocean view .. We got room on 8 floor .. Room are standard rooms nothing special for 5 star hotel resort

One thing odd was bathroom didn't have any locks , so if you are traveling with family or friends that may be a problem

The grill was kind enough to heat our baby food

It's close to some convenience store and gas station

Over all liked the hotel and the pool area ..

• Stayed May 2013
Asheboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Just returned from a four night stay at this hotel. It is a great resort. We booked the CLUB 91 floor and it is highly worth it. There are five food presentations each day and an open bar from 6pm to 10pm. I would not recommend CLUB 91 for children as the food presentations are more appealing to the adult palate. All of the staff at CLUB 91 were very helpful. My only complaint would be that the hot water in one of the double sinks in bathroom had no pressure and took a long time to get warm. This was the off seasons and pools and beaches were not crowded. We had no problem getting an umbrella on beach.

Room Tip: Opt for the Club 91 floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is a beautiful place. Each room has a great view. The hotel staff could not be any nicer. The service is excellent. The pools are some of the prettiest I've seen. The restaurants are great and the room service is the best. I would recommend the JW Marriott to anyone going to Cancun. Safety is not an issue. Just relax!

Room Tip: We had room 915 and the views are super.
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Let me begin by saying if you wish to really feel like an elite customer of Marriott’s loyalty program(I am Gold Elite), other than your key card stating you are elite and the front desk saying thank you for being elite, find another property or brand to cozy up to when visiting Cancun. I just returned from a 3 night stay with a friend of mine for a long weekend at this hotel. I did a ton of research prior to the visit including reading all the reviews on both TA and Flyertalk and taking all that into consideration I chose this property hoping for an exceptional stay. I had a JW Suite reserved with a package deal that included round trip transportation, wireless internet and a 50.00 per day resort credit. Just prior to arriving I was getting pitched via email by Daniella to upgrade my room for a fee which I thought was quite odd and quite frankly offensive seeing that my rate was in the mid 300’s already per night.

Arrival at CUN, as directed walked out front past customs to main waiting area to find Prestige Transportation who was managing our shared ride, wait was more than 30 mins which I found disappointing but it was a shared ride so what was I to expect.

Hotel check in, quick to approach, as stated recognized status but that was where it ended. Here began the pitch for Club 91 at $75.00 for 2 people per day, I passed. I was given room 335, 2 doubles. I asked for higher floor and told nothing available with 2 beds. Asked for possible upgrade and unless I wanted to pay I was offered a Caribbean Suite for a lot more per night and still not guaranteed a view so I passed. I found the lobby to be very nice, clean modern and beautiful views as we walked toward the elevators.

Hallways were musty and carpets dirty, furnishings dated. Room also felt dated but cleaner than hallways. The layout was very odd in this room, large space with 2 sets of sliding doors and a large balcony with partial view over the restaurant to pools and beach. The bathroom was odd with the door opening up into the water closet door, double sinks, glass shower that never really got hot, and a tub. Water pressure was like a trickle, terrible at all faucets. To the other side of the room was the large closet and kitchenette area where I had them put the mini-fridge I asked for. Also asked for a coffee maker and they told me it would be $5.00 per day for the coffee and the maker but I pleaded and they accommodated me with the brewer to allow me to make my own tea and coffee.

Gym, SPA and tennis, be prepared with $20’s because the SPA as in sauna and steam cost’s extra, wanna play a round of tennis, extra, gym and hot tub…well that is included. Buy a protein shake after you lift, get this……..$15.00 for a fresh fruit blended shake with a scoop of protein! My breakfast in Sedona Grill on site was cheaper………..they should be absolutely ashamed at that, no wonder why nobody was crowding to get a healthy follow up….the facilities are nice, plenty of stuff to get a great workout, swim or tub, just fantastic!!

Pools are excellent; chairs on the adult’s side are the best! Only issue I had but you find this everywhere are all the reserved chairs by people that come down and drop a towel and don’t show up till noon. We really didn’t have a problem finding a place to lay but then again, property was dead for the most part which is why I found the “no complimentary room upgrade” so bewildering…….you would think…..then again maybe I am just an over entitled Gold Elite right? Lol

Sedona Grill on site has to be one of the best places I have eaten in a long time. We met Dominic (Head Chef if I recall correctly) on the way in, and boy was that food superb! We had a wonderful meal Saturday night and I cannot say I have had a more creative, tasty meal in a long time! Kudos and the Pico and Guacamole were outstanding! Service was good but a touch on the slower side, make note.

All of the staff we encountered were all very nice, very accommodating and pleasant but like I said if you want to be recognized and treated like someone who spends money and time within the brand look elsewhere because I didn’t see it.

My stats speak for themselves, I am HHonors Diamond, Starwood Platinum, and Marriott Gold and I do this by butt in bed, not credit cards or status matching. I maintain all 3 yearly and that is a lot of nights in a hotel. I see much better perks from the other brands I mentioned here and even Hyatt who I have Gold and hardly use…..I realize we are in Cancun a major tourist draw but the property was dead and you had the space…..appease us over entitled elites and offer us something to chew on here franchisee of this Marriott property 

I will not return to this Marriott and I wouldn’t recommend, it just isn’t to the level you might expect from the JW arm of Marriott. I expected more from JW and not at an additional charge either, you should be ashamed!

Room Tip: Higher floor I would imagine.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
There are indeed some Marriott Rewards benefits that do not apply in resorts, as it is stated in the program. However, we are already looking into some other ways to thank and recognize our loyal customers locally. We thank you for your feedback and be sure all your comments have been taken into consideration.
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed four nights recently and absolutely loved the hotel and staff. Rooms are nice, very clean and quiet for the most part. Loved the pool and beach area. The breakfast buffet is one of the best I have ever had. I never came across a staff member having a bad day, all went out of their way to fix or make happen our request. Check in went smooth, we arrived early and only one of the two rooms were ready and the other took several hours but was not a big deal as we waited by the pool. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor and the view was incredible
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We just returned from our fourth visit to the JW Marriott. If you want a party atmosphere, this is not the hotel for you; go to the Hard Rock next door (which we did on a day pass; see review). If you are looking for laid back luxury, the JW Marriott is the place to visit. Everyone is very friendly and accommodating. The grounds are beautiful, the beds are comfortable, the food is delicious, and the view is spectacular from every vantage point.

Gustino's was closed all last week but we always enjoy the restaurant when it is open. We ate at the Beach Walk and Sedona Grill every day except one when we used a day pass at Hard Rock. Beach Walk serves great sandwiches, burgers, salads; just what you want when you take a short break from the sun. Sedona Grill offers steak and seafood. On several nights I asked for things that were not on the menu; no problem, very accommodating. If they have it, they will make if for you. Service at both restaurants is wonderful. Some reviewers posted that service is very slow; please remember: you are on vacation; what is the rush? Mexican custom considers it "rude" to give you a check before you ask for it; so if you want the check, just ask.

Special thanks to our "amigos" Javier, Ivan, Edgar, Giberto, Pedro, Victor, Ricardo, Gabrielle, Angel, and all the other servers at the Beach Walk and Sedona Grill who took such wonderful care of us during our stay. We look forward to our return in September.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the third floor for a better ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!