Just got back last week from our first time to Cancun.
While I usually prefer small cozy hotels, I stumbled on a fabulous, irresistible deal on the hotel's website for Marriott rewards members. With internet and buffet breakfast thrown in, no point in looking further. The location is great for families and those not interested in hanging out with the insanity of spring break, clubs, etc, further up on the island. And even if that is your cup of tea, the buses run all the time up and down the Hotel Zone, for less than a buck each ride.
That said - the staff was lovely, the room was beautiful (the hotel is designed so that pretty much all rooms face the sea) and the food at the restaurants was very good indeed. I rarely have any complaints about hotel staff, possibly because I work hard to befriend them and appreciate them. That usually works wonders; if not, I know how to switch gears, too. I started by e-mailing the concierge with specific questions and requests and Veronica was very helpful with everything. I arranged the airport pick up by the shuttle van (a great idea, and reasonable at $16 each) and Veronica even had tips on how to avoid the crush of would be sellers of time shares who all but jump you as you are leaving the airport! The driver waited a few minutes to see if we'd get the last two of the requisite six riders, but when that didn't happen quickly, he left with the four of us.
I followed some of the advice of other TA reviewers and asked for an upgrade to a premium view. At first I was told only the suites had that and they were much more expensive, but eventually the (name forgotten) friendly staffer found two great options for us, one away from the side with the pool and Hard Rock Hotel (which is what we thought we wanted, based on reviews) and the other not. We followed her recommendation and took the pool side, based on the better view, and she was absolutely right. But note, the reason folks say to avoid that side, especially on the lower floors, is because the music from special events, and yes, there was a weekend-long wedding party, reaches way up and into the room, even with the window shut (although not too bad then). But the music (I'm told by law in Cancun) ended by I think it was 11pm, which is only a problem for the early to bed.
We were also not interested in all inclusives (offered as the Club at this hotel) because we hoped to be trying more local venues, as well. That said, we got a 25% discount on the hotel restaurants and they were really really good! Buffets are always hard for me since it is hard to eat sensibly at an all-you-can-eat affair, but we loved the fact that the breakfast included lots of traditional Mexican fare, as well as the usual (and very good!) waffles, omelette station, etc. The inside seating is very spacious and lovely and outside - well, facing the ocean again? How bad can that be? We ate at Gustino's three times, thanks, lovely hostess, Liliana! and they made three picky eaters very happy. One late afternoon early dinner/late lunch at Sedona Grill, also delicious. We also had great lunches on Isla Mujeres, and in Cuidad Cancun, so eating away from the hotel is not to be missed.
Very nice beach, didn't have a problem getting lounge chairs there or at the pool, although when it gets crowded you may not get your favorite spot, but that's okay... We looked at, but did not use the spa - it looked lovely, but why get on a treadmill when you can walk on the beach? (It would be great for rainy days, I'm sure!).
All in all a great stay at a lovely property. And Dave, the hotel rep for time share, the king of the not even soft sell but I'll sell if you are really interested sell, can provide more information in that regard. He was generous with his tips on trips in the area and we appreciated his friendliness and helpfulness.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa, an oceanfront haven of unparalleled sophistication, impeccable service and warm Mexican hospitality designed for today’s most discerning travelers. Sumptuous comfort, chic residential styling and glorious waterfront views distinguish every room. Abundant taste marks every dining experience, from casual to elegant, and indulgent charm distinguishes each and every day. Relax on a spectacular beach kissed by the sun and caressed by the sparkling waters of the Caribbean. Stroll through traditional markets ablaze with color or listen to the lullaby of the ocean surf from your private balcony overlooking the sea. With its powdery sand beaches and ancient Mayan mysteries, Cancun will dazzle your senses ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Marriott, Hotels.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Jw Marriott Cancun Resort
- Cancun Marriott