“5 night stay in Ocean front Suite” 3 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa

You added JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa to your Saves list
JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Kukulkan, Km 14.5 | Lote 40-A, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Night & $50 Credit
Ranked #18 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Hollywood, Florida
“5 night stay in Ocean front Suite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Overall the JW is a nice property and you get the feel of a 5 diamond when you walk in. We arranged transportation form the airport and it was on time and quick. Nice driver...advise this as the way to go. When checking in the front desk was somewhat cordial but didn't get the warm fuzzy as I have with the Ritz. The bellman on the other hand was great. Showed us around the hotel on the way to our suite. Once there made sure the room was satisfactory and it was. Great suite with large wrap around deck area right on the ocean. The temperature of the room and cleanliness while there was excellent. We would leave a note with a request and when we came back it was done.

One area that was below standards were the restaurants at both the JW and Marriott. We ate in the Sedona Grill, Japanese, Thai and Champions. We should have eaten off property...it was that unsatisfying. My wife ordered a dish with lobster at the Sedona Grill and sent it back twice as it was well over cooked and rubbery. At the Japanese restaurant the food was overcooked. I had filet and it was cooked well done and the vegetables were well overcooked. Needless to say this was a real bummer and all we anticipated was staying property- no buses, taxus- just great service and good. Well the food let us down but the service did not. In spite of the food the knowledge care and attention we received from the staff was excellent Whoever is in charge of training the service staff at this hotel is very good.

The adult poolis great. It's peaceful with no loud music and great service. Drinks are pricy but view and service offset the premium.We were there at the end of the January and the heated pool was warm enough to swim.

End of the story- great property, beautiful ocean, friendly and exceptional service, bad food

Room Tip: What ever you do get ocean front room. The ocean is beautiful
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you very much for posting your review. Our Chefs work hard to please the personal taste of each of our guests; we regret that your experience at our restaurants was not up to your expectations. Your comments have been shared with our Executive Chef for future improvements. We are glad you enjoyed your room and the rest of our facilities and service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Arabic first
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was our second January visit and we were really pleased both times.

The biggest standout for us was the employees. They smile and greet you in a very genuine way. We feel there is a very friendly, welcoming, service oriented vibe you get from the employees. One morning we were going out for a walk and I was eating a banana in the lobby while I waited for my husband to ask a question at the front desk. As soon as I finished, a manager quickly came to take it from me and dispose of it. Attention to detail is very obvious at this property. Employees are everywhere cleaning, painting, scrubbing, etc..

Two differences I noticed from our trip a year ago. The first is that the pool is heated to a higher temperature. It was great! We were able to go in the pool after dark and still feel very comfortable. The second is that there is now a Hard Rock Hotel to the north of the JW. It's definitely a different crowd and vibe than at the JW. Strobe lights at night, Barney music from a children's activity and "Achy Breaky Heart" being sung live in a Spanish accent. We couldn't hear it if we closed our balcony door, but it definitely detracts from the peaceful vibe at the Marriott. Ask for a south facing room if this sounds unappealing to you.

We opted for Club 91. For us it was a great value. If you want to get out and try lots of restaurants, are a picky eater, or enjoy huge portions it's probably not for you.

Don't come here looking for lots of kids' activities. There definitely are children here, but they are entertained by their parents rather than organized kid activities.

Definitely try Savio's Bistro by La Dolce Vita across the street from the Casa Magna. We were able to make reservations on OpenTable.com and had some great seafood. The place looks like nothing from the outside but it has a beautiful outdoor, lagoon view, dining area with super food and service.

Drinks are expensive as they are at most resorts. At the pool bar we paid about $26 for two specialty drinks. Use caution.

Pool area and beach are both fabulous. Don't miss the beautiful indoor pool as well. Don't be afraid to use the bus either. It's $1 or even less if you use pesos. There are more tourists on the bus than locals and the drivers are friendly.

We'll be back. This property is wonderful.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

make sure you get a room away from the "All Inclusive resort" to the left
(on the right is another Marriott CASAMAGNA) the all inclusive can be very noisy with music and people.
we even could hear it from the Casamagna Mariott!
Lovely heaated pool (84F) and several hot jacuzzi's. (we also stayed at the Westin at the end of the hoteleria zone and everything was very cold there!)
Great restaurants, a McDonalds across the street and a hidden restaurant at the water walk through the 7 eleven type store) Moscitos! MeuterMedia

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The J.W. Marriott surprised us with its top notch service, competent concierge team, and seemingly relentless desire to please. As an Platinum Elite member of the Marriott Rewards program, my partner and I have traveled to many places across the globe, staying at some of the best Marriott branded properties. We have been to several cities and properties in Mexico but not Cancun. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the JW Marriott Cancun. The staff were impressively knowledgable and eager to share what they know about the area.

Club 91 is an absolute bargain and a must-do. The quality of the food amazed us. Our first two days of our seven night vacation was less than stellar with resort restaurant prices not worthy of the quality of the food in two of the restaurants we tried in Cancun. We decided to join Club 91 on day three, for US $125 daily per room, my partner and I moved to a room on the top floor where we had access to breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, open bar in the evenings and dessert, all served in the private concierge lounge on the 14th floor with amazing Caribbean Sea views and concierge staff whose every ambition seems to be to create the best experience possible. The dinner "presentations" each evening were of the seven different restaurants that are part of the Marriott resorts on Cancun. The tapas or small plate presentations gave us the opportunity to taste a variety of delicious entrees each evening. Truly amazing and delicious every morning breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and dessert!

We will definitely return to the JW Marriott Cancun!

PS: As for feeling welcomed as a gay couple, the staff of the Marriott treated us like every other couple there. It was nice to see a few other same-sex couples among the guests too. Great job Marriott for knowing what inclusion of everyone is all about!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We are staying here for a short three night break. This hotel is in the middle of the zona hotellera at 14.5km. It looks impressive and has a nice spacious lobby with passageway leading to the Marriot Casa Magna next door. There is a bar with a live singer at night. It wouldn't do to be too thirsty, though as you will have a long wait. There are restaurants but we only had breakfast and so cannot comment on the food there. (There is a great fish restaurant opposite Casa Magna called Fred's I really recommend). The breakfast is good with plenty of choice, from asian to mexican and continental. There is an egg station for a wide choice of egg dishes too. They also serve a decent cup of coffee.

There is a little shop selling daily needs along with pottery, clothing etc. the gym is very good with plenty of machines and plenty of towels, water and a juice bar. Cannot comment on the spa as its not my thing. There is a lot which should be right, but somehow, isn't. The atmosphere is staid and lacking life. There is more life next door and it feels more modern, which it is, as it is newer.
Our bathroom is lovely with lots of polished travertine, glass and light wood. It is also very spacious. The bedroom is in need of modernisation. It is fine, but not up to the bathroom. We have a balcony facing the ocean for which we happily paid extra. We have made more use of this than we thought as the weather is not good and the balcony is sheltered. There are several pools, but one of the largest, under our room is being repaired.

There is an option to pay extra for Club 91 for an all inclusive deal, I am glad we didn't do this as there are many good restaurants near by.

if you want to come to a nice hotel, swim in the pool, be near walking distance of good restaurants and have a very quiet night in, this could fit the bill.

In all, a good hotel but would we come back, no way.

Room Tip: High up facing the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary at the JW Marriott Cancun Jan 13-18th. We had read many reviews on Trip Advisor and now wonder how anyone could write a negative review of the place. Our experience was that the property was very luxurious, the staff was incredibly outgoing, and the food was delicious. We stayed on the property nearly all 5 days, except for a snorkeling day trip, which we booked at the hotel. The restaurants were great (Beachwalk, Mikado, Sasi Sai). We especially enjoyed ordering lunch from the Beachwalk poolside every day. The gym was really nice and never over-crowded. The indoor pool was great for laps. The bed was really comfortable. Every JW Employee was happy and helpful. The only negative I can point out is the prices of food at the on-site restaurants and gift shop, though this is on-par with other resorts I've been to (non-all-inclusive). Also, the breakfast buffet at Sedona Grill was awesome. We had a great time and definitely hope to go back someday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnetka
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We just got back from spending 9 nights at this hotel, yes hotel, NOT resort. I was utterly SHOCKED after my experience here that they had received the AAA 5-diamond award in 2012. In my humble experience (having worked for the Four Seasons Hotel brand), this place should not have received even 4 diamonds! Our check-in experience was one of the worst. We were arriving to Cancun around 1pm, so being as we were traveling with a toddler, I knew to call ahead and request an early check-in and for our minibar to be emptied out. We arrive.....NO ROOM READY. OK, fine. They weren't even at 50% occupancy, but again, ok, I'll deal.They said an hour. We'll go grab lunch.
We ate lunch poolside. The food was nothing to remember. It was certainly edible, but not a step above that. After eating, we asked for our check so we could get back to the check-in process and get our kid down for her nap. After 15 minutes of waiting, we asked again. Then again. 30 minutes went by and finally our check arrived. We go back to the front desk.
I ask about our room situation and this is the woman's response, "It is going to be an hour. We'll send a maid now." Well, we have already waited the hour we were told to wait. We go and puts around on our iPads in the lobby and I go back an hour later AND GET SCOLDED BY THE GUY AT THE FRONT DESK FOR INQUIRING! He hands me the keys in such a rude, abrupt way, I had to confront him and ask why! We were never told how to get our luggage that had been checked when we arrived, we were never told about any of the amentities of the hotel. When I asked, he again RUDELY, pointed to the bellhop and said, "Over there!" In the states, this man would no longer have a job. If I have EVER treated a hotel patron like that, I would have been fired on the spot. I never complained to the manager, but there were enough of his colleagues around for someone to step in.
We soon came to find out that really NO ONE at the hotel is taught to smile or be friendly. The door staff were great, the lounge singer was amazing, but aside from them, the waiters at the pool were unfriendly, the people in the gift shop/deli were THE WORST, and the concierge was utterly unhelpful (we tip well, so we knew it wasn't that).
On to cleanliness......I think the housekeepers do the best they can. It appeared they were understaffed because we only had them clean our room every other day and they never got to it until very late in the afternoon when we were returning from the pool. The jacuzzis had a file (I took photos) that made you want to puke. It was like a yellow bubbly substance. SO gross! The pools, the bathrooms, the everything just needed a major facelift, probably a few million. Eeek. OH-----you like sleep?? You won't sleep here. The beds must be from 1970 and they put a down comforter on the mattress to make it appear "plush." No thanks.
I would never....and I mean NEVER ever go back to this place. I would suggest you look elsewhere if you are even considering it. I understand it sounds like a cheaper option when not doing an all-inclusive (we couldn't commit to an all-inclusive because we like fine dining and variety), but expect to pay $10 per beer and then some. The food options for lunch were pretty terrible, so we would opt for the deli and spend $11 on a bag of Lay's potato chips. We would have been better off doing a super new contemporary all-inclusive and still eating out every night. Oh well, you live and you learn, but if I had read an honest review like this one, we would have never booked.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
We are really sorry that your particular experience at our property was so far from the service we are known for and we sincerely apologize for this. We always do our best to check-in our guests before the 4PM check-in time, but sometimes this might not be possible, especially during peak season. Our guests have always praised our Associates’ friendly and attentive service; we apologize that your impression was completely different; we have forwarded your comments to the involved areas to make sure a prompt and kind service is performed at all times.

Been to JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!