“great hotel and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa

You added JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa to your Saves list
JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Kukulkan, Km 14.5 | Lote 40-A, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
30% Off Event
Ranked #18 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
“great hotel and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We love Cancun and always stay at either the jw or casa magna Marriott. They are in a great location, right across from the aqua world water sports facility. The jw has a very nice scuba diving pool where you can do a resort course or refresher. And the staff is top notch.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Arabic first
Ithaca NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had a pleasant visit to Cancun, enjoyed the beach and view of the beach from the hotel, and were amazed by Chichen Itza. However, we experienced a number of problems.

1. Front Desk

The front desk staff are nice but there aren't enough of them. Check-in took about 20 minutes waiting in line, check out was slowed by a problem with the bill which required three phone calls to fix. This is the management's fault.

2. Housekeeping

Upon checking in, we found two candy wrappers and three orange seeds on the carpet. Turn down service was irregular. One of the sinks was perpetually clogged. Bad training and supervision.

3. Construction quality

On the first two nights, an impolite guest upstairs or poorly insulated floors woke up repeatedly. Must be a flaw in the construction or renovation of the building. Particularly annoying since we paid extra for a suite.

4. In-house travel agent

The "hotelbeds" travel agency is recommended by the concierge and has an office on the main floor. We booked our day trip to Chichen Itza through them. Mistake!

a. "Deluxe" tour includes only a ten minute stop at the lovely little village of Vallalodid, but a 90 minute stop at a tourist trap, ostensibly a sinkhole for swimming but mostly a very bad souvenir shop preceded by touting "Mayan cartouche" jewelry by the tour guide on the bus.

b. "Deluxe" also means free alcohol served on the bus starting right after lunch. Not what I had in mind.

c. "Deluxe" also means Mayan alcohol in small flasks is sold on the bus, and passengers are expected to assist in distributing the bottles.

d. "Deluxe" means being picked up late, taken to the Wet n' Wild water park parking lot, and being made to wait in the sun for another bus for the actual tour.

e. "Deluxe" means being kicked off the bus in the evening to transfer to another much shabbier old bus to be taken the last ten minutes to our hotel. Ick.

f. The sheet from the concierge indicated $119 per person for the tour but they ripped us off for an additional $12 or so per person with some exchange rate scam.

Aside from the lovely beach, the only part of the hotel that gets five stars is the food and beverage.

We are Marriott regulars and one of us is a former US employee of the brand. We were very surprised at how weak the whole place was, and will stay somewhere else when we return.

However, on balance, we had a nice trip and we will not let this particular experience put us off Cancun for a future trip. It's a good place.

Room Tip: For a good room......try another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
We agree that these problems should not occur. We appreciate your review and your pointing out on the areas that we need to look more closely. Your comments have been shared with the proper Department Heads for immediate improvement.
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had an excellent view of the ocean and the lake from our balcony. I like the consistency of Marriotts down to the brunch. We found a driver that we used for the rest of our trip and it saved us tons of money. He drove us to Coba which is the only Mayan temple that you can still climb. It's 13 stories and what a view. My boyfriend is afraid of heights but rallied and was glad he climbed it. the view were tremendous. They said that sometime in 2013 they wont be allowing people to climb to try and preserve the structure so check before you go.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
new
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I was recently in Cancun for a business trip and stayed at a neighboring hotel that did not have tennis courts. I was a little disappointed but since I brought my racket I set out to find a place to play. I figured I would try the closest hotel and the Spa staff at the JW Marriott was great. They were able to hook me up with a amazing instructor named Mariano Errecalde and even gave me a choice of sand or hard court (I chose hard courts at the other property they own right next door).

Mariano was great to deal with. He was on time (not easy to find in Cancun), really nice and super professional. I had only planned on taking one lesson...just to have someone to hit with; but after meeting Mariano I ended up taking three. The improvement in only three sessions was like night and day and he only made some minor and easily understandable adjustments. Thank you Mariano and I promise to get my toss higher.

I cant really comment on the JW Marriott other then the staff at the Spa which was great to deal with. I also liked their grounds as I walked through them...a little more space and room then some of the narrow properties in Cancun.

So if you are planning on going to Cancun; bring your racket and ask for Mariano; you will not be disappointed.

Jim

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went there with the family for several days and we expected much more, specially in the details and the attitude.

The rooms are nice, service is good but food took forever to arrive in the restaurants and two days the rooms was not done when we got to it about 6pm.

The price of the food and drinks is really competitive and the room service was the best part of the stay.

The pools were really nice but there were no kids activities even when I Stayed for several days and I am a frequent travelr in Marriot, when I asked for a late checkout they just deny it and not even gave any option (like the typical: go enjoy the pool and then take a shower in the SPA while we keep your suitcases that I have received in several other places).

Don´t take me wrong it is a nice hotel, but I have stayed in some others JW and the experience has been memorable.

Still the place is located in a very nice area in Cancun and you will enjoy it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We do our best to offer late check-out when our occupancy allows us to do so. Unfortunately on high season we might not be in the possibility to grant it. But please be sure all your comments have taken into consideration. Thank you for your review.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We loved the JW! The restaurants and drinks are a tad pricy, but good. We likes that the Marriott Casa Magna was next door and had a great Sports Bar! We had a Superior Ocean View Suite that can sleep 4. 1 king and 1 sofa bed. I will say that my main complaint was the sofa bed, it was HORRIBLE to sleep on. The pool was spectacular, and the beach was a beautiful turquoise blue. Would stay again!

• Stayed February 2012
boston, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

this hotel is shinning inside out. I went to several other hotels in its neighborhood and none of them can't even compare to the glamours level of this one.

ups:

1) Food: The buffet breakfast is really nice with the choice of Mexican, Japanese and American foods. But it's expensive ($25) if you don't have it included in your package.
2) Pool: the infinite pool is one the largest in the area and very nice
3) Staff: very nice

Downs:
1) no coffee machine in the room for a 5 star hotel? never heard of
2) we left someone at hotel and called them and they won't mail it back to us unless we pay $30 postage fee. Com'on, we paid thousands of $ for our stay and they don't even want to puke out $30 to make us happy? Sounds too cheap too me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!