“We will be back! Loved this Resort.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa to your Saves list
JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Blvd Kukulkan, Km 14.5 | Lote 40-A, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #18 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“We will be back! Loved this Resort.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We booked this hotel for two nights prior to moving over to our time share location. I wish
we would never have left. We had a one bedroom suite that was on the second floor. The view was amazing and we had a wrap around patio because we had a corner room. Being able to hear the waves just makes everything better!
Club 91 worked out perfect for us. The food is fresh and had many options for my family.
Just know its a concierge lounge at a regular Marriott but this JW charges $50 pp per day.
I felt the service at this hotel was excellent no complaints from me.

Due to the length of our stay we didn't use much of the resort BUT I have to say they had one of the Best Fitness Centers ever! If you want to get a Great work out in during your stay this is the place to be.

The JW is across the street from Freds Sea Food- This is fine dining but worth every penny. Don't miss Freds if you go to Cancun. We took our 4 yr old so it's family friendly.

Room Tip: Book a suite you won't be dissapointed!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

The JW did not disappoint. This was our second visit to the JW this year. We came back based on our last positive experience. This visit we upgraded to the Luxury Suite, which offers more space including a den, balcony for dining and an extra large bathroom. The staff was once again extremely helpful with our Day Trip request and Dining Experiences. We enjoyed a lovely meal on our balcony dining table which the staff set up for us. We also booked a Day Trip through the Hotel after consultation with the staff as to the most appropriate experience for Children ages 10 & 8. My kids loved the Smoothies and lunches by the pool. The service Pool Side is very attentive. Don't let the luxury label scare you away, there are plenty of deals and promotions which make the JW competitive in price. We scored a Fourth night Free plus $200 Hotel Credit. We have stayed at 5 different Hotels in Cancun over the past 6 years and the JW has been our best experience and new home for visits to Cancun.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Nice pools, great beach, good restaurants (although the Marriott next door has better restaurants)

I live in Marriott properties - at the JW in Stuttgart, Hong Kong, San Jose, CR, Austin and the Renaissance in Suzhou, China. As a gold (almost platinum) member, this JW was a little disappointing. They charge everyone for club lounge access and do not expect an upgrade.

The proximity to the Hard Rock is not a real problem. Yes, you can hear the music in the evening, but at least on my visit, it stopped by 10 PM. I was in a suite facing the HR and closing the patio door was enough to regain the silence.

Complaints about the checkout are very real. Expect the process to take at least 30 minutes. Only one person working the counter in the morning. Then there were unexpected charges such as minibar. Finally a manager was called (Claudia Romero) and made all kinds of excuses for why the charges were valid. I pressed further and she stated that "maybe someone made a mistake". Finally a very flustered Ms Romero admitted that "you have to understand, this is how we make our money".

Expect the worst a checkout and allow enough time to deal with what appears to be an ongoing scam.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced upon check-out. We will be glad to reinforce our procedures in order to make the check-out a flawless process. We are glad you enjoyed the rest of you stay and we really appreciate your continuous preference for our brand.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

We just returned from a 6-day trip to the JW. We found that the on site amenities (albeit priced in line with a 5 diamond resort) were great for our family with two small children. The kid pools were great, we never felt like we were intruding on the good time of adults or older children with our noise or splashing. The pool attendants were quick and very courteous.

Must do the Club 91! Great value for us, and after eating without the plan for one day, we'd spent twice as much with a better variety at Club 91. Perfect for children, as the servings are small, the options change daily and they can try a number of things.

Only drawback was the front desk service. I wasn't getting a straight answer on my room credit and didn't get the credit for my return shuttle service (as its included in Club 91). We had some noise issues that could have been handled better, but in the end, this may be typical of other area resorts, but as a Marriott Gold member, this was inconsistent with the JW brand. On a side note, the bellmen and other attendants were fantastic.

• Stayed November 2012
Ribeirao Preto/SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Valuate a 5 star hotel is not the same as valauting a 3 star. So, before you keep reading, be advised that i'll be rigorous with the service, as they are charging, a lot, for their own self titled, great service.
The point is that not all employees are really there to help. I had two problems in the front desk, for example.
The room is spacious, very well decorated and equiped. There's a flat iron and an iron. There's also a safe. In the bathroom are two sinks and a very nice mirror. The bath is separeted from the shower. There's four towels every day and they're changed two times a day. The room service also happens two times a day. Your bed is made for the sleeping on the second, with a lot of care. Is the kind of service that worth the money you pay.
The hotel is in front of the sea and had a lot of palapas. As we are on low season, we can choose anyone everyday. In the great pool you'll have more palapas and chairs. Very good place.
The service on the pool varies. On the first day we were very well and quickly attended by Jorge. I asked him how should i get the towels and he said that they'll be there with us in a minute. So it happened. Very good.
On the next days he was not there and we had a slow service. There are not much waiters so it became very slow...
When i asked in the front desk for another kind of pillows (the only one they had was terrible) they said me that that one is the only they had. The point is that when I booked they gave me options about the quality of the pillows. And you order some. But when you arrive, they simple say that that was the only choice. I dindn't like the pillow and my quality of sleeping was too much better on the Courtyard, in Miami for example.
The second point is regarding the front desk. I asked for the attendent for a knife, a fork and some ice. What does she told me? Call 0 in your room. Ok, she might be advised me about this option, but why not call HER to the room service in the first time (as Jorge does) and them advise me about the option? I don't think she receive this training from Marriott...
By the way, excluding the problem on the front desk and the quality of sleeping (that is not so good as it should be) this is a very nice place to stay. If it was a 3 star, the service was just fine. But being a 5 star (and charging for it) they have to improve a little their service. That's why I don't gave them a 5 star rating.

Lakewood, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night at the JW before leaving from Cancun on November 17, 2012. The property is immaculate, and the service was amazing. When we went to the beach area, we had no sooner put our towels on our loungers, than a server greated us with menus (drink/food), and brought over a table for us to use. He also used our names the entire afternoon, which made us feel like we were receiving very personalized service. The food at the pool area and from room service was very good.

The hotel was able to arrange shuttle service for us to the airport in the morning. The cost was $16 per person.

Pros and cons as follows:

Pros:
Amazing, personalized service
Food and drinks were very high quality and tasty
Beach and pool areas were very clean, well maintained, and beautifully laid out
Our ocean front balcony room on the 10th floor had amazing views

Cons:
Elevators could've been a touch faster

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Upper Marlboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

After debating for months over where to go and where to stay, we finally settled on Cancun and the JW Marriott. Hubby doesn’t eat many varieties of food, so I really needed a place that would have more options for him.

When we arrived at the airport, we were bombarded by all those “airport people” who assured us they’d get us to our car after talking to them. After 5 minutes I realized they were trying to sell us something and we walked away. We found our Marriott POC, and there was another rider waiting as well. She said someone told her Marriott wasn’t coming back at all that day and tried to get her to pay for a ride with their company. Wow…

We got in the van, which was nice and air-conditioned, and headed to the hotel. The ride was pretty fast, maybe 15-20 minutes. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the bellman, who took our bags, and Israel, who showed us to our Club 91 check in on the 14th floor. The ladies at the check in desk were super friendly and very helpful; always smiling, and remembered us and called us by name throughout our entire stay. Israel was also very helpful with any questions we had.

We entered our room which was great! Great view, large balcony, super clean, double sinks, separate shower, separate toilet…everything we could ask for. The bed was super comfortable. Everywhere we went, once the staff learned our name, they never forgot it. It was a very personalized experience. The hotel décor is very beautiful, and I could tell this was not a party place. That was fine because when it’s time to go to bed, I want to be able to sleep.

Club 91 was good, but I probably wouldn’t do it again. The options were limited for my husband, and it’s really not a lot of food. We did save on breakfast though. Club 91 has tapas sized portions for each meal. You can get as much as you want, but it’s really not a full meal. The good thing is that it gives you a taste of all the restaurants on site as well as the ones at CasaMagna. The food is different each day (including breakfast), which is also nice.

The only on-site restaurants we used were Beach Walk, which was okay, and Champions (at Casa Magna), which was pretty good. One thing I noticed, all the Cadillac margaritas tasted the same, and not very good. The best I’ve had was at the Renaissance in Puerto Rico, and I’m always trying to find a place that can duplicate that, or at least come close. Sadly, Cancun ruined my taste for margaritas.

The pool areas were beautiful, however the adult pool was small and freezing! We opted for the family pool, which was pretty quiet early in the day. The beach was great too. The location is pretty good…about 10 minutes from Coco Bongo’s. It was also next door to Hard Rock hotel. We used the bus and taxi services, but preferred taxis, as trying to get change for the bus was somewhat frustrating.

We visited Coco Bongos, Carlos n Charlies, La Isla Mall, Luxury Mall, Aqua World, and even did the fish spa, but I will leave reviews for those in the appropriate places.

Overall, I was extremely pleased with my stay at the JW Marriott, and would highly recommend them for travelers who want a quiet getaway without the all-inclusive option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Cancun Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!