“Low cost = low quality” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #102 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Kamloops, Canada
“Low cost = low quality”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We needed a place to stay overnight before a flight out of Cancun.The Comfort Inn is close to the airport with shuttle service... and these are about the only 2 good points I would note. The room itself was fairly clean, but the air conditioner was like sleeping next to a running airplane. The beds and pillows are hard as plywood, but I have found this to be same for most places in Mexico. There was no internet in the room, but would work if you stood out in the hall... which I would have done if it wasn't for people having been standing around in the hallway smoking, which is not allowed but not enforced apparently. Tried to make a local call from the phone and couldn't get an outside line, had to call from the lobby. All in all, just a bad stay, but for the price I guess you have to expect nothing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
LONDON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed here for one night and only because we wanted to be near the airport for the way home as we had an early flight. We were not expecting much from this hotel. All we wanted was a bed, a working air conditioner and to be able to have a shower in the morning. I did have a bed which I had to share not only with my husband but also with lots of bed bugs which bit me throughout the night. There was an air conditioner in the room but it was so loud and it kept switching off and one, which woke us up throughout the night also. There was a shower in the room but with NO WATER. We got up after itching and waking up dozen times through out the night to have a shower. We had 1hour 40min before we had to be at the airport so we planned to get up have a shower and have some breakfast at the restaurant (coffee and toast as that is all they offer for breakfast). I went in the shower and no water was coming out of it, the tap wasn’t working either. So I woke my husband up to call reception which he did, they told him someone will come up shortly. 15min later when no one turned up, he went down to reception. He came back up with a guy who examined the shower and said ‘there is no water’. They went back down and my husband come back up and said that they told him we should have water in 1hour (an hour we did not have). By this time we only had 30min before needing to be at the airport, my husband went down to speak to the manager. Surprise Surprise there was no manager to put our complaint to and than they started say they don’t understand any English (IN ENGLISH)??? When we asked to return at least a third of the payment of the room they all just started to act dumb and say no English. When we asked for the name of the hotel manager and they refuse to give the persons name and look point blank at us (very unprofessional)! As you can imagine our frustration at this point, we realised there was no point even bothering talking to them and as we have had an amazing time in Cancun (NOT AT THIS HOTEL), I didn’t not want this horrible hotel and the people working there to rain my entire holiday. I would say there is no point staying at this hotel it’s in a middle of nowhere, staff are Rude and unhelpful and it’s not a hotel, it’s worse than a hostels.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel unless you're happy to have bed bugs, loud air con and risk having n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I am very disappointed with the service we received at the Comfort Inn.
We deliberately booked this hotel for the free airport shuttle. I would assume that this is the only reason people stay there.

When we arrived, we were told that the shuttle only runs between certain hours, and because ours was an early morning flight we couldn't use it. This was already frustrating and should have been outlined on the booking site.

We then ordered some lunch in the cafe. I don't eat meat, so I asked whether they could make me up a salad, which they did. It was a handful of lettuce, one tomato and a few bits of cucumber. It did the trick, but then I was charged $19 for the two, which is a rip off not only by Mexican standards, but international ones.

I knew that we would be too early for breakfast, which I excepted, so we missed that. Our taxi arrived, picked us up, drove us 2km and then charged us $20!!??? I was enraged. It was daylight robbery and they said this was organised through the hotel. Our whole time in Mexico we were travelling 10 kilometres for $10 and we were literally in the car for a couple of minutes. Just to add salt to the wound, our driver said they normally give people breakfast even if they are leaving early.

I just feel that we were taken advantage of terribly because we are tourists and this is not acceptable. We did not receive anywhere near the value that we were asked to pay.

On a side note, the rooms are very clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was near elevator but the majority of noise came from next door till 0200. Walls so thin I could hear thru my ear plugs chairs scraping on the floor & every single time the compressor of AC turned on, WHY do they still have these ? So antiquated.
Concierge @ desk was great & even printed a boarding pass for me.
Cab to nearby airport is a rip off, for such a short distance, have shuttle after 0700.

Room Tip: avoid elevator #'s 201, 301,401 etc
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Trondheim, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We chose this hotel since we got in with a late flight and was picking up our rental car the next morning at the airport.
The check in was fast and the staff was helpful. The room was big and comfortable. But the big issue for us was that our room had a direct door (with a gap at the bottom) to the room next door. So when the people living in the next room turned on their TV at 2 in the morning, they might has well have been in the same room as us. It was impossible to sleep, and we really needed it after our long trip. So I called the reception in the middle of the night to tell them about our problem, but nothing really happened. In the end I had to go out in the hallway and bang on their door, and then they finally turned the sound down a bit on the TV. Just really bad sound isolation between the rooms.
Apart from that "minor issue" it was an ok place to stay. They had a free shuttle to the airport and the breakfast was ok.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Pro's:
The staff was super friendly and accomodating

Breakfast was pretty good

Rooms are clean and decent- no frills

airport transport- the driver was nice enough to take me to my next hotel, which was nearby, where I was meeting family. I REALLY appreciated him going out of his way! Thank you!
Internet access

Convenience store is right next door

Early check in

Things that could have improved my stay: There was no water with breakfast, which seemed a little strange to me. When I asked for water they told me I'd have to pay. The internet was very spotty in the rooms- it went out for hours at a time, but thankfully there was a business center that worked for my internet needs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We spent one night here the evening before an early morning flight out of Cancun. I would never stay here for any reason other than it is close to the airport. The Courtyard Marriot is just as close to the airport; I will stay there next time airport proximity is my priority.

**We were awaken repeatedly throughout the night by both the freeway and hallway (other guests) sounds- the hallway and room floors being all tile amplify all noise
**The food is edible but horrible- we had dinner and breakfast here but wish we had skipped both
**The free airport shuttle is a private car (max capacity is 3 guests) and the driver blatantly requests being tipped when he drops you off
**Wi-fi access was inconsistent but tolerable for one night

Room Tip: do not get a first floor room- you hear everything in the halls
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn Cancun Aeropuerto? Share your experiences!