“BEST TIME EVER” 5 of 5 stars
Review of GR Caribe by Solaris

You added GR Caribe by Solaris to your Saves list
GR Caribe by Solaris
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd.Kukulkan, Km 20.5 Lote 64B, Cancun 77500 , Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #31 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Haskell, NJ
“BEST TIME EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

Me, my husband, 2 kids & mother in-law just returned from our cancun vacation. We stayed 1 week a the Solaris and had the best time. The people are friendly and the entertainment staff was great! The rooms are comfortable and clean. We stayed on the 7th floor, which had a balcony overlooking the ocean. This is a very family friendly hotel and I would recommend it to any of my friends traveling with kids. They had a variety of shows which were great too!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Korean first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

Excellent value for money, we found a great deal with Octopus travel, limited food selection, only the buffets were open but great rooms, really nice beach too.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

The staff couldn't do enough for us. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the food an 11. Buffets had varied selection and everything was excellent. None of the food items on the buffet were allowed to run out, they were replaced before they were empty. We went to the italian sit-down restaurant one night and ordered one of everything on the menu. Again, everything was delicious and my wife was unable (unhappily) to finish it all. The shows were very professional and entertaining. There were things going on at the pool a good part of the day, from fashion shows to various games. When it rained (which it unfortunately did more then expected) the staff moved everything inside and kept it up there so no one would be bored. The room was average. Not overly large, but sufficient. There was room for a king size bed, a table and 2 chairs and ample storage. Our room had a kitchenette with a refrigerator, microwave and was fully stocked with dishes, glasses, pots and pans and silverware. The refrigerator had bottled water, beer and canned soda, which they replaced each day as you drank it. This room might have been meant to be one of their time share rooms. When we checked in, the room they assigned us was a smoking room. When we told them we didn't want a smoking room, they immediately changed us to the room we were in, possibly it was an upgrade and that's why it had the kitchenette. Mattress was fine, firm, but comfortable. The room itself wasn't fancy, something you would find when traveling along any highway and checked into an average priced motel. But it more then sufficed. The sink area was located outside the bathroom, the bathroom had a tub/shower and toilet. All the waiters were good but we chanced upon one named lldefonso, who was worthy of any 5 star restaurant. He couldn't be more attentive. No tipping was necessary, but Ildefonso more then deserved one and was given one. The only complaint was that the air conditioning ran constantly. The thermostat didn't work . All you could do was turn down the fan speed. Also, it didn't seem to dehumidify, so it just pumped in cold air. The room was cold, but clammy. When we complained at the desk, they sent someone up to check it, and offered to change our room if it couldn't be fixed. But, in talking to others, we found out all the rooms were like that. We received a phone call asking us to come and listen to a time share lecture, but we didn't respond and wern't bothered anymore. The beach area was fine, atleast 100 foot wide, level, clean and sugarery sand that never got hot . All in all, it was an excellent hotel and a great value. Highly recommended. Wouldn't hesitate going back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

The kids have enjoyed the swim pool every day. They have a great time. The food was great. We also enjoyed the sailing on the Logoon side. We went right after the Swine Flu thing, the crowd was light, but enough to have some party mood. We have had a great time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

I booked the Royal Solaris after reading the reviews so I thought I knew what to expect. This is our 8th time in Cancun and we have stayed at many places. We arrived Friday before noon, and the check in process went pretty quickly, and I was surprised to hear our room was ready. I had requested a non- smoking room and was told that my request was accomodated.

The lobby was ok, but very dark and on the older side. We were then ushered to a desk where we were to receive "additional information" about the resort. It really was a screening session to see if we qualified for time share tour. Since I was traveling with my teenage daughter and my husband was in the US and couldn't come with us. We didn't qualify and were quickly given a map with a list of restaurants. We were told that our room was in the newer tower, and the other tower was closed for renovations. There were 2 nicer restaurants, and the buffet restaurant.

We reserved and paid for a deluxe oceanview room. At the front desk they asked me if I would like to use the safe. When I said I did, I was given a document to sign stating if I lost the lock I would be responsible for a fine of 100.00. they then gave me a strange old fashioned lock mechanism, and a key on a green strand of yarn. I have never seen anything like this. We were then escorted to our room and I was very surpised by how dingy the accomodations were, old cracked tile floors very dated furntiure, walls in desperate need of paint, in general no more than 2 stars. there were even crushed doritos or some kind of orange chips on the floor. The view was nice, but the windows were hazy and there was no mini- fridge or any other ammenities in the room. and the safe was ancient and you had to insert the lock, and then remove the key to use.
The air conditioning vent on the wall was filty and there were cracks in the wall around it and black "stuff" around the perimiter.
Definitely much worse than what we were expecting.

I called down to the front desk and told them how disappointed I was with the room. They told me I could "upgrade" to the Grand Royal Solaris for a fee of 30 per person per day. When I booked the resort I could have booked the Grand for 20 more in total so after discussing my options with the manager for quite a while, there was no way I was willing to pay an extra 30 for my 14 year old daughter, who eats practically nothing, to upgrade also, they agreed to let me for a fee of 30 in total. I was driven over to the other resort and the difference was night and day! Lovely lobby, they hand you a drink while you are checking in, very nice rooms, (although they have the same exact decor, but it looks completely different in a new clean room), all rooms come with a mini-bar and balcony it is a very new and nice resort, night and day from the Solaris.

We did return to the Royal Solaris a few days later, as we wanted to use the paddle boats at the Marina across from the hotel and we ended up spending the day at the pool at the Solaris. It was nice, not as luxurious as the Grand pool but actually more upbeat and fun with better music- a lot more lively! The lunch buffet was much varied and upscale at the Grand, but the food and drinks were pretty similar at both resorts.

If the price difference is not significant definitlely upgrade to Grand Royal Solaris, if you really don't care about the room, and are looking to have fun at the pool and bars, the Royal might tbe fine- just know what you're getting. Nothing worse than that wave of disappointment with your choice of hotel when you get to your destination on vacation.

• Stayed November 2009
Hull, Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

I have gone twice to this hotel. December 2007 and February 2008 and each time was great. The food was great. We ate at the buffet for breakfast and the rest of the time we ate at the à la carte restaurants. We ate filet mignon to roasted duck.

The main pool was very busy with people but the pool attached to the other building was always quite and had lots of chairs to choose from.

The kids pool was fantastic. NoahM's Ark in the middle with numerous slides. My son just loved it.

The beach was nice but had lots of waves.

The rooms were always cleaned daily, we had a mini bar where we could keep our drinks and water in.

Took the bus downtown to the many stores, even Wal-Mart.

I would say that this place was one of the best I've been so far. It's rated a 4.5 and they take care of you.

I will definately be back.

• Stayed February 2008
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

We traveled with a 4 year old and a 19 year old and had a wonderful time. My 4 year old loved the Kid's Club- The pool was great and the staff was amazing (they knew her name and spent time talking and playing with her). All day every day they had some activity for her to do- Crafts, games and just simply playing. I did stay with her while she was in the kid area (did not feel that the pool was watch closely enough).

The pool and beach were great and we really enjoyed the food & drinks. The staff throughout the hotel was great and lots of fun. The 19 year old also enjoyed herself. It was definetly more of a relaxing family type of vaction- not much of a night life. The one thing that I struggled with was the room. It was very small and dated. It felt so cramped with 4 of us. There was really nowhere to put your clothes (no drawers-just a closet). We did not spend a great deal of time in the room, but with a 4 year old it was a little tough. Overall, We all had a very good time and was so worth the money.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!