“Surpassed our expectations!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of GR Caribe by Solaris

You added GR Caribe by Solaris to your Saves list
GR Caribe by Solaris
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd.Kukulkan, Km 20.5 Lote 64B, Cancun 77500 , Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #31 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Hayward, California
“Surpassed our expectations!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We just came back from a relaxing vacation in Cancun. During our stay, we stayed at the GR Caribe by Solaris for the 1st part of our holiday. Traveled with our 2 kids. This was our first vacation to the real Cancun (we had vacationed in Riviera Maya near XCaret park few years back).

CHECK-IN: Upon arrival from the airport mid afternoon, we were greeted by the bell boy and went directly to check in. There was no line so we were taken care of right away. After checking in, the reception asked us to wait for someone to take us to our room. As we waited, we were offered a nice cocktail.

CONCIERGE: About 5 minutes later, the concierge came to greet us and took us to the cafeteria and sat us down to show us the hotel map and explain all the hotel amenities. Then, he went on with an activity brochure, asking if we’d be interested in reserving anything with him. Told us he could offer discount of $50 or $75 on these activities. All we’d need to do is meet with a rep over breakfast and go tour another sister property just few minutes away from here. We’d spend about an hour 15 minutes eating breakfast while listening to the sales rep and spend another 10 minutes touring the property. We were hesitant about it since we’ve heard so many horror stories about timeshare presentations. It didn’t sound that bad so we said we’ll think about it. They wanted to know for sure by 6 pm that day if we were still interested so we said we’ll let them know. When we walked back to our room later that day, they asked us to confirm so we said yes, we would be attending the presentation.

The next morning, we were woken up with a phone call to remind us of the presentation mtg. We had thought about it overnight and thought there was lots of things to do already, didn’t want to waste time attending presentation and just save $50 on an activity (other agencies would discount hundreds of dollars on hotels rooms, just for attending a timeshare presentation – this wasn’t a big enough discount worthwhile). So we told the concierge over the phone who then gave us a bigger discount like $100 off. Still, my hubby didn’t want to attend the presentation and we gently declined.

Once in the lobby, the concierge still tried to convince us to attend the presentation which we still declined and walked away. For the rest of our stay, we just avoided eye contact with the concierge.

ROOM: We were pleasantly surprised by how large our room was. The bathroom had a huge shower stall with a rain shower so that was very nice too. The room had an exotic modern look to it. The room had a lagoon view but no balcony -- but it was okay. The ocean view with balcony would have been nice but we didn’t want to pay extra. We got a great deal on this hotel through Expedia.

POOL: The GR Caribe pool is pretty small but they had good snacks and pizza. The adjoining Royal Solaris hotel had a bigger pool that was all connected and had a swim up bar. There were always lounge chairs in the shade when we stopped by the pool. They had good pizzas but the other snacks were just soso.

BEACH: The beach was connected with the beach from the hotel zone up north and south so it was a nice long stretch. Minus part was that the sand was covered with lots of seaweed so it wasn’t as nice as I thought it would be. There were lots of beach lounge chairs along the beach and hardly anyone at the beach. The water was a nice clear blue but the waves were super strong – something I had read in past reviews and was concerned about. Waves were strong for adults, not just the kids. Now, we know why there was hardly anyone at the beach. I recommend going North Cancun for calmer beach.

FOOD: All the restaurants for “formal” dinner were really good, we tried the Veneto and Bogavante (none required reservations and there was never a wait to get in). We had a superb steak dinner at Veneto one night, all the meat were prepared to perfection, very tender. The kids also ate from the regular menu. Our assigned waiter was very nice and friendly and ordered more appetizers for us whenever he saw we really liked a certain appetizer. Perfect service. We were so full we couldn’t finish our desert. Everything was excellent. The buffet at the Solaris was okay, we usually would go there for a late night snack. Buffet breakfast at GR Caribe was smaller but they had a nice selection. All in all, we were impressed with the food and service at the GR Caribe.

DRINKS: We tried many drinks, my favorites were the Mayan coffee (served during tea time or night time in the lobby) and chocolate martini. All the drinks/cocktails were really good. Elisa in the lobby was very friendly and always smiling.

WATER ACTIVITIES: We got to go kayaking and pedal boating on the lagoon (at the marina across from the Solaris). Everything was included in the all inclusive package. We only got to do this for a little as it was really hot.

All in all, this hotel surpassed our expectations. Even though the hotel is on a smaller side, it was big on service. We had a great deal through Expedia, which made this even better. The only minuses were the beach (seaweed and strong waves) and the pushy concierge.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Thanks for sharing your relaxing vacation in Cancún and write such a fabulous and detailed review about your recent stay at GR Caribe.

We are glad to read that we surpassed your expectations and have enjoyed the warm welcome, the room, the snaks and pizzas, the access to our sister hotel Royal Solaris Cancún, all the restaurants for dinner, its service and food, the mayan coffee, chocolate marini and the service provided by Elisa.

We apologize for the pushy concierge, not represents the top notch service we provide every day. On the other hand our housekeeping team puts a lot of effort into cleaning the beach and seaweed along the shore, but its back again and again beacuse of the weather and current on this season. We always do our best to keep it spotless.

We appreciate your valued time for sharing your feedback, all your impressions are fully considered in order to improve the quality of service.

It'll be a pleasure to welcome you in a near future for the second time.

Warm regards from Cancún to Hayward, California.
^X

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

If I could give this hotel 10 stars, I would! As my first time in cancun, I didn't really know what to expect. The GR Caribe Solaris completely exceeded our expectations. We traveled with a group of 30 people for a bachelor/ bachelorette party so pleasing a big group like this takes a lot of great service!.... Our oceanfront room, the front desk staff, our favorite bartenders (Henry, Anjel, Leonel, Cynthia etc), Diana Larraza who helped us set up a private event on the beach in less than 24 hours, the food was delicious, TEQUILA! Everything was beyond perfect!!!!

• Stayed August 2014
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Thanks for sharing such a fabulous review on tripadvisor about your recent stay at GR Caribe.

We are pleased to read that you loved your first time in Cancún, we have exceeded your expectations and you have enjoyed the wedding, the food and the great service provided by our wonderful staff, especially by Henry, Angel, Leones, Cynthia and Diana Larraza.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in a near future.

Warm regards from your little palace in Cancún,
Washington, District of Columbia, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

We visited the GR Caribe last week for a Bachelor/Bachelorette party, to include the parents of the bride and groom, so don't think typical bachelor party. It was more relaxed. There were approximately 30 in our group. There was an easy shuttle from the airport to the resort. When we arrived there, they had delicious juices waiting for us and promptly got us to our rooms. The rooms were beautifully authentic looking with great rain shower type walk-in shower. The fridge is stocked daily with beer, water and sodas. The room service menu is delicious regardless of the time of day you order.

There are a couple different pool areas, one seemingly set up for the more relaxed crowd, with low music and bingo/trivia, and the other full of younger people, a swim up bar, louder music, and water volleyball where they give you shots for messing up.

The main thing that makes this place so great is the staff. I cannot say enough about all of them. Elisa at the inside bar is always so happy and nice, smiling and dancing around. Veronica at the outside bar is always happy/smiling and open to sit and talk with you. The concierge, Adriana, was one of the sweetest girls I've ever met in my life. Luis and Henri at the outside bar were awesome, always saying hey and shaking our hands. They are EXTREMELY hospitable and make you feel like you are family. When they see you, they greet you with a smile, a hello, a hug and will sit and talk with you as long as you like. I looked forward to seeing the people listed above everyday while I was there.

There are several different options for food whether you want a sit down or just something to grab quickly and all of it is delicious. One particular night was lobster night. Because we were there for a wedding party, they set up a special area for us, on the beach, with a private bar, tables, candles, and a mariachi band! It was beautiful.

While this is one of the furthest away from all of the clubs, it's a quick and easy $1 bus ride, which takes about 20 minutes, and you can take your alcohol "to go" from the hotel onto the bus, while you ride to the club, so it's no big deal.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone. The price is unbeatable as is the staff. I was literally depressed the day I had to leave.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share such an honest, wonderful and detailed review about your Bachelor party at GR Caribe on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the welcomed, the rooms, atmosphere, access to our sister hotel, activities, the variety of food and the dinner on the beach.

Thanks for pointing out how wonderful our staff is, especially those who made you feel happy and at home as Elisa, Verónica, Adriana, luis and Henry and por recommending us. Like we said in an other answer, it's amazing when we read how the quality of service we provide makes happy our guests, this make us proud and motivates us to continue working with #SolarisPassion.

It'll be big pleasure to welcome you in a near future, we wish you were here already.

Warm regards from your home away from home to Washington,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I booked this property at the last minute. I did not realize the property was next door to the one we had stayed at 8 years ago. We loved the GR Caribe. The staff, especially Henri, at the pool, and Veronica worked very hard! Elisa at the bar was always smiling and interacting with the guests. The nightly shows at the Royal Solaris next door were great as well.

Only a couple of drawbacks - 1 - No Heinekin for my husband and 2 - the ocean is extremely rough.

Try a new restaurant every night - the food was fantastic.

I loved that we got a room with a balcony. It was nice to sit outside in the morning with coffee and in the evening with cocktails.

Looking forward to returning within the next year, perhaps they will have my white pants that I accidently left:)

Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: I would choose a room at the end of a hallway, that way no one will come to disturb you. Try to get...
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We just got back today from the GR Caribe and had a great time! The staff was very friendly and attentive especially the staff working at Café Solaris and Bogavante restaurant. Rosa (la cocinera) was one of our favorite people to talk to. The facilities were clean and had the essentials. We enjoyed the mediterranean architecture theme and really enjoyed the food and drinks. The beach was gorgeous!

There were two gentlemen (I think Azael and Joel?) that were in charge of making sure the sea turtles were well and they let guests let the sea turtles free. It was amazing!!!! One of the highlights of our trip.

The biggest disappointment was the pool. Both pools were very warm especially at the end of the day (August), so there wasn't a good place to cool down. The "jacuzzis" close to the beach were almost the same temperature as the luke-warm pools, so it would have been nice to have them be set to be hot or cold instead of an awkward bacteria breeding temperature.

It was a bit frustrating buying medicine for my husband when he had an upset stomach because the store in Royal Solaris first charged me 33 pesos for Pepto bismol and then the next day wanted me to pay $5. I speak Spanish, which usually helps me to get better prices, but I didn't enjoy never knowing what things actually cost. Also, the taxi to take us to the airport was listed as costing $300 pesos, but once we asked around it seemed like most things can be bargained.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, September 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing your good stay at GR Caribe with all the tripadvisor users and travelers.

We are glad that you had a great time in Cancún and have enjoyed the facilities, the mediterranean architecture, the food, the drinks, the gorgeous beach and the service and care by all the staff, especially by Rosa, Azael and Joel.

Have the opportunity to release sea turtles into the sea and learn about their style-life is priceless, we are happy that you lived this unique and lovely experience with us.

It's very important to us the feedback of our guest, so we have already informed to the managment about your suggestions to take corrective actions on this point with the Maintenance Manager.

We regret the misunderstood in the store at Royal Solaris Cancún, we will talk with our concessions so this will not happen with other guests in the future.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon.

Warm regards from your little palace to Minneapolis,
Burke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

This was my seventh time visiting Cancun and I was very impressed with the Caribe Solaris hotel. Where to start?
Staff - Very respectful and always smiling. It seemed like they truly wanted us to enjoy the Cancun experience. Everyone was helpful, especially Diana! I had some special requests and she made all of them possible. Having stayed at other hotels in Cancun, I developed a pet peeve for people asking for tips. I was never once approached by a bartender or waiter about giving them a tip (this in turn caused me to tip them even more).
Cleanliness - The rooms are spotless and the room service does a great job.
Rooms - My brother and I had 2 doubles with a L couch. The room had a very elegant touch and the bathroom was beautiful.
Restaurants - I don't know where to start. My favorite by far was the Bogavante, which is on the beach with a beautiful view. Erick and Dalvan were our servers every night we went and they were awesome! The food however was a game changer for me. Most Cancun hotels have a buffet style all inclusive dinner, which usually lacks in quality. All of the restaurants (with exception to the breakfast buffet and pool bar) are A La Carte and absolutely delicious! The menus change every night and always feature seafood and steak dishes. You also get one complimentary lobster tail dinner upon check in. You need to make a reservation for the dinner, but it can be made at any restaurant! The GR Caribe's restaurant are a great example of fine dining in Mexico.
Beach - The hotel staff is on the beach every morning cleaning up any seaweed or ocean debri that washes up overnight. The hotel beach was stunning and had that deep crystal blue look (very nice for taking photos).
Extras - The all inclusive package allows you to use the sister hotel Royal Solaris next door. However, I believe the Royal Solaris guests are not allowed to use the amenities at the Caribe, so its only a one way street. In other words, you pay for one hotel and can use the restaurants, bars, swimming pools, and services of both! We stayed for one week and never ran out of options to chose from! The GR Caribe does not give you that huge franchise hotel feel (which I think is great). Instead, it makes you feel like your staying in a Villa type property with all the benefits of a hotel. There were 13 of us that made this trip and I am writing this review on behalf of everyone. Next time I visit Cancun I will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing a wonderful and detailed review about your recent stay at GR Caribe

We are pleased that you felt at home thanks to the care, service and charisma of our staff, especially Diana, Erick & Dalvan and have enjoyed the rooms, the restaurants, quality of food and variety, the beach, the access to our sister hotel Royal Solaris and its facilities and service.

It's fabulous when we read such a wonderful review, it will be an honor to welcome you soon and make your eighth time in Cancún another unique vacations in the caribbean.

Warm regards from your home away from home,
Collinsville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

My wife and I just returned from the GR Caribe a few days ago, and we had a great time. We were due for a much needed vacation to rest ad recoup, and we were happy. I will list the great things first:

1) Service. The staff was AMAZING. Everyone was very pleasant, happy, and went out of their way to take care of us. As two people who work very hard, having someone take care of us for a change was amazing. We ended up giving lots of tips to servers and all because of how much they worked to make us happy

2) Beach. The beach is amazing. I have never stayed in actual Cancun before, so I know most of the beaches are the same probably, but they were out there every morning cleaning it up. The last day their tractor was broken, I think, because there was a ton of staff out there digging holes, gathering seaweed with rakes, and burying it to clean the beach. Such dedication!

3) The hotel itself. This is the smaller, more quaint hotel of the two Solaris ones next to each other. If you like architecture and interesting layouts, this place is great. We are photographers, and our last day we did a little photoshoot with each other because of how cool the building was. The room was awesome as well (we had beach view). Our one issue is that the rooms is that they have a door to join up with the next room over, and if you have loud neighbors (like we did for a few days), you can hear a lot more than you would like.

4) We spent a lot of time at the pool. We like a very quiet, relaxed atmosphere, and the Caribe had that. The sister hotel next door had the "party" pool, so if that is more to your liking, that is only a 2 minute walk away. We are boring and spent most of our time reading and soaking in the pool, so the Caribe pool was perfect for that. There were still some mild activities, though, and Hana from the entertainment service was amazing!

One area of mixed reviews was the food. Overall, the quality of the food was good. Lots of different options, and the pool side snack bars were wonderful for mid-day snacks. The restaurants have rotating menus, and while that is nice for variety, it was hard to know what to expect day to day. By the end of the trip, we had a feel for it, but it took some time. At times, it felt like they were trying to be a bit too fancy with the menu items. I personally prefer the best tasting food....whether it be "simple" or "fancy." One other thing was that there was not nearly as much Mexican food on the menus as we had expected. We love Mexican food, so we were expecting to indulge quite a bit. But, it was relatively scarce. We had much more Italian, French, and American styled food than anything else. My one big disappointment with the food was the lobster dinner. I had been looking forward to it since we booked the trip, but it really fell short for us. The lobster was grilled, and it completely killed the taste of it for me. All I could taste was the grill and not the awesome lobster taste. Perhaps that is normal for grilled lobster and I just do not know because I have never had it that way before, but either way, it was sad let down.

Oh, and be sure to bring a pair of pants. The nicer restaurants require long pants for men for dinner.

And now for the less good bit...

The one part of the trip we did not like at all was the vacation club sales membership. I will say...the deals they offer are really great deals, and we were strongly considering them. If we were able to vacation more often, we likely would have gone for it. But, the problem is that we like to take time to make a decision...and they do not really give it to you. You have to make the decision right then and there without time to ponder it all over, and because of that, we had no choice but to say no. And...they are not afraid to push for the sale...hard. When we did say no, we were twice handed off to other sales people who continued to push for us to take the package or other smaller packages. By the end, I had lost track of how many times we said we were going to pass. The presentation was supposed to last a total of 90 minutes, but we were gone for over 2.5 hours. By the end, we were completely overwhelmed and starting to shut down (partially because we were extremely hungry as well by that point). Even then, we were pressured all the way until we closed the taxi door to return to our hotel (the sales session was in one of the sister hotels a few minutes away).

I will say this...the vacation club deals they offer are amazing, but be prepared to make your decision there. If we had the chance to go back to the hotel, talk things over, think about it, then we likely would have taken the deal. But, that option was not there, and by the end...we were saying "we would need time to talk it over, so we are going to have to pass" so often, that we just wanted to get out of there. It honestly spoiled our last day there to an extent.

Overall, we had a wonderful time...would recommend!

Room Tip: Avoid ground level rooms if you want quiet...try to get a room on an upper floor
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!