“GR Caribe has lost that special feeling” 3 of 5 stars
Review of GR Caribe by Solaris

You added GR Caribe by Solaris to your Saves list
GR Caribe by Solaris
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd.Kukulkan, Km 20.5 Lote 64B, Cancun 77500 , Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #31 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Calgary, Canada
“GR Caribe has lost that special feeling”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We just returned from our third trip to the GR Caribe and the resort has changed. The staff at the front counter ( the people that book you in and are supposed to greet you?) are not able to communicate as they didn't seem to be able to speak English. I asked a couple simple questions and they were not able to say much accept thank you and did not acknowledge me. SMOKING is allowed everywhere and I and my family are non smokers. Smoking is permitted and is done around the pool area including the lounge area that we were trying to relax at. Cigarette butts are discarded and are all over the resort and when I asked staff if smoking was permitted around the pool area which is where a lot of kids play the response was of course it is! There was no courtesy when it came to the smoking this made being pool side not enjoyable.
ANGEL and GABRIEL are the best! They are great with children and made my daughter feel important and made her stay fun while at the pool. If you are a non smoker I would not go to the GR Caribe and would look into another resort.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear Guest :

Allow us to express our appreciation for sharing your review, which contributes greatly to our improvement and keeps us focused on what we are doing right and what needs to be changed in order to provide our guests an impeccable vacation experience.

We apologize that your stay wasn’t as pleasing as it was supposed to be and not having met your expectations as few years ago. However we are glad that Angel and Gabriel did their best to make your daughter feel important and make her stay fun at the pool. This is the service we want you remember.

Regarding the inconvenience you have experienced during the check in, comes as such a surprise because we receive so much praise for their work and personalized service. Believe us that we are going to pay more attention to communication issues in the future.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for all inconvenience you experienced, our General Manager will take corrective actions immediately.

Sincerely
^X

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Korean first
lexington, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Just got back from spending 4 nights at the GR Caribe with former college roommates. We were all extremely pleased with the hotel. It has the feeling of a quaint, botique type hotel in the midst of all the huge, overwhelming resorts in Cancun. The hotel is clean, comfortable, and beautiful. There were no large crowds, and the staff was extremely friendly. We were never approached about purchasing a time share. If you are in the mood for larger pools, swim up bar, or nightlife, the sister resort is a pebble's throw away, and provides anything else that you might want. You do have the luxury, though, to return to your less crowded, more intimate resort, though.
The pools and hot tubs had a beautiful view of the beach, and we never had trouble finding 4 chairs together. The pool and beach chairs are comfortable. The poolside food is very good. Nextdoor at Royal Solaris, the poolside pizzas are delicious. I was very impressed with all food. We only ate at the buffets for breakfast. The small waffles, and omlets were great. Bogavante was our favorite lunch place. The view is unbeatable, and the food delicious. I consider myself somewhat of a "foodie" and I really felt like the a la carte meals here were great. Each meal can be up to 6 courses with very small tapas type portions of first courses, and a perfect sized main. Our favorite dinner restaurants were Veneto which is at GR Caribe and Marco Polo which is next door.
The rooms were clean, and the beds fairly comfortable. We were on the 4th floor and had a nice view of the pool and beach. A balcony would have been nice, and the walls are pretty thin, but neither of those two things would be enough to deter me from returning to this resort.

Room Tip: I would recommend being on floor 3 or higher. Since the restarurants and pool entrance are on the se...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you very much for sharing such a wonderful SolarisExperience on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you have had 4 nights full of fun, delicious food and good times.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with your former college roommates, your room, the access to our great and fun sister hotel next door, the restaurants, pizzas, waffless and omelets.

Hope you come back soon and let us to pamper you as you deserve.

Have a lovely day.
Warm regards from Cancún to lexington.
Lewisburg, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

It is hard to know where to begin! Everything was perfect once again. This has been my 3rd trip in 6 months and planning my next visit in April. I love being retired.

Lets begin with Edwin and his breakfast staff at Café Solaris. Johnathon, Enrique, and Guadalope will meet you with a huge smile. The service is very fast and friendly. Great way to start the day!

The pool at the Caribe is beautiful. Pamela and Gabriel are wonderful hosts. She will call the games and he will never let your drink get empty. He is the best waiter in the place. Even brought us Valentines!

Bogavante! Wonderful place for lunch and a romantic dinner. Again service is professional and the food is wonderful! One evening our guest was not feeling well and I went done to talk with the staff and told them that he was really looked forward to dinner that but we would have to cancel. They asked me what he wanted and had a beautiful dinner sent to our balcony! That is Service!!! Candle light and the ocean was a perfect back drop for the Lobster Bisque. I think this is my favorite place for lunch every day and dinner every other night.

At night the Caribe is very nice with live soft music in the lobby (my favorite is the lone trumpet player) for dancing and then dinner in Veneto and more dancing. Veneto is very upscale. You feel like you are in a 5 star restaurant in New York. Brenda and the Daniel are always so helpful by knowing our favorite table and our special wine. The servers here is always top notch. All I can say is EXCELLANT! Gaby makes the night extra special

The Royal pool is the place to be for fun and games! Luis and his staff-- Manual, Marco, Enso, Oliver, Hana, Paloma and Stephany are full of energy all day and then again in the evenings for the live show in the theater. We were even invited to a celebrity wedding! I won't spoil it for anyone but it was the first time that I have been in a food fight between the brides group and the grooms. FUN From Bingo to Trivia and Dancing Classes it is non stop excitement. I can talk all day but you just have to experience it for your self. Oh yes, I can't forget the bartenders and the wait staff!

Now last but not least is the Social Media Staff. Ximemia, Makey , Carla and Rosa are just great. I always take guests when I visit and they go out of the way to make them feel welcome. They even coordinated the delivery of a gift from a friend in Tennessee to be delivered on Valentines Day. Amazing!!

I hope that I have not forgotten anything or anyone. Sorry it is so long but this place is really paradise! Not a single complaint! Thank You to everyone at Solaris Caribe and the Royal. The place is spotless and very well maintained.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Wow, since we started to read the review we knew that came from you Millie.

We are so happy having you as part of solaris family. Its a real pleasure welcome you any time with a huge smile and spotless service.
We really appreciate your comments as well about your staying a GR Caribe.

It be come a learning when our guests point out the service that we provide and it motivate us to be more professional.

Thank you very much for pointing out many names of coworkers who will undoubtedly appreciate your kind comments. We work hard to make every single guest's experience a memorable one.

We are so thankful for your kind and especially share your experience at all and we hope be able to host you in april once again to join the paradise of México.

Warm regards from Cancún to Lewisburg.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Just returned this past week and had a wonderful time. My boyfriend and I originally booked at the Solaris next door and were told we were being upgraded to GR Caribe. Although our room here did not have a balcony which we would've had at Solaris, this upgrade included much nicer rooms, and access to both hotel's restaurants and pools. The GR has three more sit down restaurants (Bonavarte was amazing for dinner several nights, excellent food an service) so we were very happy that we had access to them in addition to the restaurants and buffet next door. Also GR seemed a lot more laid back with a quieter pool atmosphere but it was nice that we could choose to go over next door where there seemed to be much more for the children. Not having kids we were happy to have a quieter laid back atmosphere. The servers come to the beach with drinks which was fabulous, and we never had trouble getting beach chairs. (I would recommend that they upgrade their beach chairs, they were slightly uncomfortable and while walking on the beach I saw many hotels with upgraded lounges). The hotel staff was very nice and helpful when asking questions about bus/taxi and trip information. You will be approached upon arrival to come "get your welcome gift" which is a lead in to take a tour and purchase time shares. Of course the staff is persistent on you going on the tour because it is their job but not to the point that I felt really uncomfortable. Being from NY I know how to fend off people trying to sell me something, you find more aggressive sellers on Canal St, but most people may not know how to be more firm. If you do go, there are a lot of perks to going on it and you can just say no after doing the tour and getting some of the extras.
Many people complained about the drinks which were yes, watered down. Having worked in hospitality I realize though that not most people begin drinking at 10am when not on vacation, and if I were a hotel manager I would not want a bunch of wasted tourists slipping drunk all over the pool area and hotel. It's easy to throw back a few daiquiris in the hot sun and when you do this from 10am-10pm it's probably good that the drinks aren't potent. Order shots if you need the extra boost. (Make sure to bring singles if you are using USD or pesos to tip, the staff is working in the hot sun, getting paid very little, and rely on tips to make good money. Plus I imagine if you don't tip, you may not see them coming to you as frequently for a refill!)
The hotel was very, very clean and we constantly saw staff cleaning every inch of the hotel/pool/food areas at night.
The bus stops right outside the hotel frequently and it costs $1USD or 95 pesos. It can bring you down to the restaurant, shops, and shows or you can take it further.
We book several tours through the Sol-Ha travel agency in the hotel which was really convenient but try to get in while nobody else is in there or you could waste a lot of time waiting to book your trips while the weather continues to be beautiful outside!
Overall we felt very safe, comfortable, and happy to have many conveniences available to us. I'm not sure if we'd return only because we're still young and want to travel to different places but I would definitely recommend GR Caribe by Solaris.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a clever and fabulous comment regarding your stay at GR Caribe.

We are happy that you enjoyed the upgraded, rooms, access to both hotel's restaurants and pools, the atmosphere and the stunning service provided by the staff.

We appreciate your comment regarding the drinks, that is exactly the reason why we offer weak drinks to take care the health of our guests during their vacation. However we are always happy to give strong drinks if guests order extra shots.

Once more, we want to thank you for sharing your Solaris Experience on Tripadvisor and give the users an honest point of view regarding your stay.

Warm regards from Cancún to NewYork.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed here after purchasing a Groupon Getaway deal. It was amazing! The view was to die for, the hotel and rooms were beautiful and the restaurants were wonderful. The best part about this hotel was the staff - they were always friendly, helpful and would go out of their way to make us feel at home. Guests at this hotel also get access to the Royal Solaris next door and it was easy to see the benefits to staying at GR Caribe - quieter, more luxurious feel, premium bar availability and the food was much better.

Pros:
-Wonderful view and beach access
-The STAFF! Can't say enough good things. Cordova, Neftali and Izmael at Bogavante rock; Morimoto and Pino at Veneto are wonderful; Melissa in guest services was also great.
-Private marina for GR Caribe and Royal Solaris guests at the lagoon across the street for free kayaking and paddleboats.
-Beautiful rooms
-Food was great and restaurant staff were wonderful
-Availability of premium liquors (try a Margarita Golden on the rocks at Bogavante - yum!)
-Included room service 24/7
-Mini fridge stocked with sodas, beer and water
-Poolside activities each afternoon and kayak tours periodically
-Access to Royal Solaris for nightly shows at the theatre (Broadway show was good, the mime show was surprisingly funny!)
-Super clean! Each night we would see staff members scrubbing in the tiniest of corners and cracks in all areas to keep it clean.

Cons:
-Dessert was lacking at all the restaurants. There was one night at Veneto that featured the 4 Elements dessert and that was good, but everything else we had was pretty bland.
-Even though they offer more premium drinks at GR than Royal, they still didn't have a lot of the brands we enjoy (Grey Goose, Patron, etc.) but hey, all inclusive has to have limits somewhere right?

Tips:
-Never skip a day of room service. We did this on our second to last day and between damp towels and our swimsuits the room took on a very mildewy smell pretty quickly. The A/C does what it can but with a year round humidity level of 80% it's important to let them take your wet towels out of the room each day!
-Ask the waiters for drink recommendations - Cordova at Bogavante recommended the Golden Margarita on our first day and we found ourselves drinking it all the time. You can only get that drink at GR since they don't carry the right liquors at Royal.
-If you're picky about snacks, pack a few of your favorites to be safe. Don't buy anything from the small convenience store in the hotel - prices are crazy and humidity wasn't kind to the bag of Chex Mix we bought. Yuck.
-The hotel is a Pepsi vendor, so if you're die hard Coke drinkers take the time to head down to one of the convenience stores near the shopping areas to pick up Coke in bulk.
-If you want to snorkel without taking an excursion, walk to the beach and head right all the way down until you hit the tip. If you cross over the rocks to the other side there is a national reserve with great snorkeling. They'll make you rent a lifejacket for $5 each but it is well worth it to see all the coral reefs and fish. They also have masks and snorkels for rent if you need them.
-They will approach you about a timeshare sale when you check in and for some, this is a requirement to get special rates when you book. After staying at the hotel, my husband and I ended up buying memberships that grant us 2 weeks per year(flexible b/w certain months, not designated weeks) at special pricing in all Solaris properties with guaranteed suites, as well as 1 week per year with RCI vacation exchange and 2 weeks per year with ICE vacation exchange. Well worth it for all the extra perks given to members and it'll help us keep our commitment to take more vacations!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your wonderful Solaris Experience on Tripadvisor. We are so glad to read such a honest, helpful and detailed comment.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the views, rooms, room service 24/7, restaurants, food, nightly shows, pool activities, private marina, the Margarita Golden on the rocks at bogavante and best part of all: the service provided by the friendly, helpful and kind staff, especially: Cordova, Netfali, Izmael, Morimoto, Pino and Melissa, who did their best to make you feel at home during your vacation.

It's very important to take care our guests and exceed their expectations, therefore we have informed to our General Manager about your suggestion regarding desserts, so he can take actions to make improvements on that point.

We appreciate every single tip which will help to all travelers and Tripadvisor users to make notes and have a stunning experience and lots of great moments.

Hope you come back to visit us in a near future and let us to pamper you as we did before.

Warm regards from Cancún to Houston.
Langley City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I'll break this review into subsections. We stayed in room 2363. Booked on Expedia.

Room:
We were upgraded from the standard room to an Ocean View room by the hotel, it was awesome to get up in the morning and see the beautiful Caribbean Sea. The room was clean. Mattress was firm. Bathroom looked like it had been updated somewhat recently. Cool swans made from towels greeted us when we came in. :) Some issues were the shower would go from the temp we set it, to scalding can't stand under it hot, to outright cold. This would happen for stretches at a time. Another was Expedia claimed (and still does) the rooms come with blackout drapes/curtains, it does not, just blinds. More on that in the Sleep section. Also, our room had an adjoining door, and you can hear absolutely everything in the next room: tv, people walking, using the bathroom, uh intimate moments however long or short they are, casual conversation... that was frustrating.

Sleep:
Bed was firm and comfortable. Pillows were decent. I had read on Expedia's site that the rooms had blackout drapes/curtains which was important to me. As someone who does graveyard type shifts, I was thrilled to be going somewhere that had blackout curtains and I'd be able to sleep allll night and morning if I chose. However, it just had blinds and sure enough the room lit up pretty quickly in the morning. Combined with the birds doing their thing and the pool being active early it wasn't as rest filled as hoped. The adjoining door to the next suite was really bad for 3 days when a young partying couple were put next door to us. They made whatever noise they wanted anytime between midnight and 3 or 4 in the morning. One night the staff were escorting them back to their room from whereever they were causing havoc. One of the other guests put a note on their door about them ruining their sleep! It ruined our sleep for 3 nights. I don't know if they were kicked out or were there for 3 days only but if you like sleep... don't get a room with an adjoining door.

Food:
We were really pleased with the food. It wasn't knock your socks off great, but it was consistently good. The pool bar has hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos, little slices of pizza, chicken nuggets, fries, onion rings... It was great to see the restaurants menus changing on a almost daily basis. One day it would be "A taste of France" the next, "A taste of Italy" etc.. I would have liked to have seen a Lot more Mexican food as we were in Mexico! Show off your cuisine guys, caman! The oceanside restauarant Bogavente had awesome views. The more formal Veneto (collared shirt and pants for guys) had a great Mediterranean feel to it, plus their best staff member, Morimoto.

Drinks: It is great to have a free minibar... stocked with Sol though, and bottled water and cans of pop. As a craft beer guy I was hoping for something local and interesting but it was just Sol and Dos Equis. Meh. Unlimited drinks at the restaurants and bars was awesome, but they were underwhelming, alcohol wise. I asked for a Paloma (Google it) and they made it with Cuervo Gold. Thats hardly even tequila... I asked for it to be made with a reposado after that and they selected a different tequila. I suspect they do keep the better liquers put away.. it took far too many days and drinks to even get a buzz. This is just our personal opinion, yours may vary, particularily if you are "OMG free drinks, wow! Wee! Drink up BRO!" I like a bit more quality to mine.

Pool:
In the pictures it looks really small and kinda crappy compared to other hotels on the hotel zone, however, in person it wasn't too bad. I liked that they had mostly Mexican or latino music playing. The last day they were playing Billy Joel's greatest hits, it was like they wanted us to leave faster ;) Issues: The 'hot tub' was more like a 'lukewarm tub' it bubbled and frothed fine, but was the same temp as the pool. Didn't use it much at all. Nice view though.

Ocean:
What can I say! Gorgeous, all shades of blues... so warm, every day, every minute. Beach was clean. White sand. Every once in a while someone wanted to sell me something but I declined and they would leave right away, no hassle. Lots of chairs, not much hassle to get one. Waves could be a bit much for weak swimmers or young/elderly.

Tipping: Ad says gratuities are included but we got a lot of Mexican pesos ahead of time and left tips anyways. They don't make much and I personally was happy to do it. I chose pesos so they didn't have to go get a bad exchange rate at their bank on their own time. They were always really happy to get them. Use your own discretion.

Service: Service was amazing. Pretty much every employee was always smiling, working hard. Angel and his "Woop woops" was pretty entertaining. Morimoto, in the Veneto restaurant is by far the best ambassador and service provider the hotel has, imo. Ask for him, when you go to that restaurant! Patty cleaned our room while we were there. Several times we forgot valuables or money out and not so much as a coin vanished. Trustworthy and excellent staff. We went next door to watch the theatre a couple times and it was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no adjoining doors.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SolarisHotels, Social Media Department at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thanks for sharing your Solaris Experience on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your detailed and honest review regarding to your stay at GR Caribe. We are pleased to read you enjoyed the room and thank you for pointing out or recent improvements. We are pleased to read you enjoyed the quality and variety of the food, the nice pools views; and our gorgeous, white sand beautiful beach.
Thank you very much for pointing out how amazing our service is. We work hard to make your experience a memorable one. We aprecciate your comments and we are very happy to know about our friendly, hard working ,trustworthy excellent staff,especially:Angel,Morimoto in the Veneto and Patty; who did their best to make you feel at home during your vacation.
Regarding the suggestions you mentioned we have informed our Main Chef and we are improving the variety and quality of the menus by having our Mexican Food Festival every Monday and offering for you a diversity of mexican tastes, like guacamole and totopos in our sister Tower the Royal Solaris Hotel. Your feedback is really important to us therefore we can improve our services and exceeding guest expectations, now and in the future.
Please accept our most sincere apologies the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us, we will inform our General Manager about it so we can take action.
We appreciate taking your time writing your review and look forward to having you back in the near future.
Warm regards,
Saludos desde México hasta Canada
Hoteles Solaris de México
^S
raymore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I was upgrated to this hotel from Royal Solaris and It was great. The food and drinks are top notch. A little quiteer then the other hotel, but well worth it as far as luxury is concerned. Clean rooms, cable tv, and friendly staff. A little over the top sometimes lol. What I mean is that I was tired from drinking and partying all day and at 7 pm we get a knock and a worker brings us complimentary snack to enjoy and to thank us...ahhhh sweet. I take a nap and at 9 pm another knock, a different person handing out complimentary mints to thank us lol. Pretty place, nice hot tubs, pools etc. They have a one foor pool that connects to the main pool for kids and waiters are walking around ready to get you drinks. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: All nice, rooms by pool are excellent
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!