Hubby and I just got back from the Gran Caribe. We were there from Dec 5 to Dec 10th, 2012. We were looking for a cheap, quick get-away without the kids that wouldn't break the bank. The first thing I would say, is don't let all of the negative reviews scare you away. I will admit, that based on past reviews, we were not expecting a lot. However, we were pleasantly surprised.
The resort is smaller, so it was easy to get around. Our room was clean, but seemed a little on the smaller side. We had a small frig stocked daily with beer, water and pop. The bathroom was very nice with a tiled walk-in shower. The major downside to this resort is that there aren't any balconies. The rooms have an adjoining little "sitting area" off on the side with built in seating and a small table. We didn't even use this area and it seems a shame that there is no balcony to enjoy the beautiful weather and ocean view. That would be my biggest complaint. Also, don't stay in our room, #2251. It is 2 doors down from the lobby. One would think this would be great as it is conveniently located to everything, however, it was very LOUD. There was a trumpet player in the lobby playing well after 11:00 pm, not to mention the restaurant, Cafe Solaris, was in between us and the lobby. The workers would be getting ready for breakfast very early in the am and they were noisy! Clanging dishes around, yelling across the hall to each other...it was annoying. We were also pool-side and had to deal with people "loitering" outside our window at all hours. Honestly, I have never stayed at a resort that has been so noisy. That would be my second biggest complaint. I also wish that Gr Caribe was adults only after hearing all these kids run up and down our hall yelling. Leave the kids at the Royal Solaris please!!
While past reviews have been pretty negative about the food here, we thought it was fairly good. Granted, we aren't too picky and aren't what I would call extreme "foodies"....Our favorite restaurant was Bogavante. It is beachfront and the views during the day are fantastic. At night, it was very cool to be on the beach hearing the ocean lapping literally just a few feet away. We ate there 3 nights. One night we had a special lobster dinner, which was very good! The other 2 nights, we had shrimp with risotto and fresh veggies and sea bass, which both were also very good! We also ate at Veneto on the italian night. I have to say that the food that night was really disappointing. Also ate at Rosmarinus at the Royal Solaris and had "typical mexican" and that was also good. We also ate at Bogavante for lunch and had the grouper which was excellent. For breakfast we ate at Cafe Solaris. I had watermelon juice, oatmeal and fresh fruit every day and thought it was really good. The service at all the restaurants was excellent. The staff were quick to remove dirty dishes, refill drinks etc.
The best part about this resort would be the BEACH! Simply put, the beach is beautiful. White sand, no seaweed, ample room and never an issue of finding a beach lounger. We relaxed for 4 glorious days on the beach and loved every minute of it! Beach side drink service was great! We didn't have to wait long to get our drinks and they were quick to check back in with us for new orders.
Overall, we had a great trip. The resort was so much better than we thought it would be considering all of the negative reviews we read. I would definitely consider staying here again!
- Also Known As:
- Gr Caribe By Solaris Cancun Hotel
- Gr Caribe By Solaris Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- GR Caribe by Solaris, Deluxe All Inclusive Resort, features a unique and elegant Mediterranean architecture, stylish interiors in a casual and relaxed atmosphere. A Luxury family friendly resort that has it all. The property features 200 luxurious guestrooms and suites, most of them with breathtaking ocean or lagoon views. Lobster dinner included (one per adult, per stay, min 4 nights stay), imported drinks and use of all facilities and services of sister resort Royal Solaris Cancun (located next door).This private resort is unique in its kind in all Cancun and the Mexican Caribbean. A Luxury family friendly resort that has it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Amex, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Tingo, Venere, getaroom.com, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda and Otel so you can book your GR Caribe by Solaris reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.