“Better than expected!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of GR Caribe by Solaris

Save Saved
You added GR Caribe by Solaris to your Saves list
GR Caribe by Solaris
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd.Kukulkan, Km 20.5 Lote 64B, Cancun 77500 , Mexico   |
Ranked #33 of 174 hotels in Cancun
Des Moines, Iowa
“Better than expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Hubby and I just got back from the Gran Caribe. We were there from Dec 5 to Dec 10th, 2012. We were looking for a cheap, quick get-away without the kids that wouldn't break the bank. The first thing I would say, is don't let all of the negative reviews scare you away. I will admit, that based on past reviews, we were not expecting a lot. However, we were pleasantly surprised.

The resort is smaller, so it was easy to get around. Our room was clean, but seemed a little on the smaller side. We had a small frig stocked daily with beer, water and pop. The bathroom was very nice with a tiled walk-in shower. The major downside to this resort is that there aren't any balconies. The rooms have an adjoining little "sitting area" off on the side with built in seating and a small table. We didn't even use this area and it seems a shame that there is no balcony to enjoy the beautiful weather and ocean view. That would be my biggest complaint. Also, don't stay in our room, #2251. It is 2 doors down from the lobby. One would think this would be great as it is conveniently located to everything, however, it was very LOUD. There was a trumpet player in the lobby playing well after 11:00 pm, not to mention the restaurant, Cafe Solaris, was in between us and the lobby. The workers would be getting ready for breakfast very early in the am and they were noisy! Clanging dishes around, yelling across the hall to each other...it was annoying. We were also pool-side and had to deal with people "loitering" outside our window at all hours. Honestly, I have never stayed at a resort that has been so noisy. That would be my second biggest complaint. I also wish that Gr Caribe was adults only after hearing all these kids run up and down our hall yelling. Leave the kids at the Royal Solaris please!!

While past reviews have been pretty negative about the food here, we thought it was fairly good. Granted, we aren't too picky and aren't what I would call extreme "foodies"....Our favorite restaurant was Bogavante. It is beachfront and the views during the day are fantastic. At night, it was very cool to be on the beach hearing the ocean lapping literally just a few feet away. We ate there 3 nights. One night we had a special lobster dinner, which was very good! The other 2 nights, we had shrimp with risotto and fresh veggies and sea bass, which both were also very good! We also ate at Veneto on the italian night. I have to say that the food that night was really disappointing. Also ate at Rosmarinus at the Royal Solaris and had "typical mexican" and that was also good. We also ate at Bogavante for lunch and had the grouper which was excellent. For breakfast we ate at Cafe Solaris. I had watermelon juice, oatmeal and fresh fruit every day and thought it was really good. The service at all the restaurants was excellent. The staff were quick to remove dirty dishes, refill drinks etc.

The best part about this resort would be the BEACH! Simply put, the beach is beautiful. White sand, no seaweed, ample room and never an issue of finding a beach lounger. We relaxed for 4 glorious days on the beach and loved every minute of it! Beach side drink service was great! We didn't have to wait long to get our drinks and they were quick to check back in with us for new orders.

Overall, we had a great trip. The resort was so much better than we thought it would be considering all of the negative reviews we read. I would definitely consider staying here again!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the lobby or pool.

1,786 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed in GR Caribe from Dec 1 to 8. Overall, the place was very nice, excellent beach, beautiful water and very clean property. The restaurant by the beach was gorgeous.. and the food was good, much better than in Royal Solaris, which you also have access to. The only two negative points about this place is 1. the view from the room- very limited unit with balcony so the the chance of you get one with balcony is low, the ocean view is not that greats, since it's only through small window. But, having said this, the room unit was very clean, no moldy order, and flat screen TV. 2. many stairs and narrow hallways, almost like you are in a maze. I don't mind it but I can see family with stroller and people with limited mobility would have a bit of difficult time. Otherwise, the food was good and the staff were all friendly.

Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

A smaller resort by Cancun standards but spot on for quality and service. The rooms are nice and well kept by the maid staff. The restaurant and bar the staff will bend over backwards to accommodate any special request you might have, something that you don't often experience in an all inclusive resort. Not much to complain about, the beers cold, the food's good, and the ocean out back is beautiful. I'll be back. Keep the light on for me.

Room Tip: We stayed on the same floor that the lobby was located on, nice and convenient.
Cooper City, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This place is paradise when it comes to the beach. Picture lying on an unreal beach with offerings of free drinks on a comfortable chair..Paradise. The place is clean and service very good. What I did not like was the food. It was institutional and very bland. On the other hand, we did not get sick.
The hotel is very nice. Nothing fancy, but nice. The beach can not be beat. Oh pre-pay for transport to hotel from airport or else you will for sure get ripped off.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are fine. We were on a top floor. There is free Wifi in the lobby.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bethlehem, Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I went here in April 2012 to celebrate his birthday. This I found out was a great time to go to any of the hotels in Cancun because it’s somewhat their down season so the hotels are not fully booked around this time which leaves you with the place to yourself (not really but it seemed that way)
A lot of the hotels do their maintenance around this time since they have empty rooms. This did not affect us in any way. We noticed quite a few empty rooms they were repainting.
I know this information because I asked the staff and they said this is the time they are slow so locals take their vacations.

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME AND I PLAN TO RETURN AGAIN TO CANCUN THAT TIME OF THE YEAR JUST FOR THAT REASON!!!
We were there the last few days in April into the first weekend in May. It did get busy around Cinco De Mayo (not what they celebrate but they celebrate something that same time)
Other than that like I mentioned above it seemed like at times we had the whole place to ourselves! There were other people but not that many. We didn’t have to wait for service anywhere and always had a seat at the pool.

We made many wonderful friends while visiting this fantastic place and I can not wait to go back again. The food was excellent, the room was beautiful, great drinks and the staff was the best! I did find that this side of the Solaris is the “quieter side” I loved that! It was more relaxing and very few children if any (till the weekend of Cinco De Mayo) When you stay at the GR Caribe side you have access to the SOLARIS side, but if you stay on the SOLARIS side you do not have access to the GR CARIBE side. Very important to know that!. I don’t know if that was mentioned anywhere when I booked our trip on line but I did find that out once there. I was told to stay on the GR side because we wanted a nice laid back and quiet vacation and that is what we had. I found that staying at the GR side gives you access to a lot more. There are many pools between both sides of the hotels and places to eat. You also have shows from both hotels. It is all worth it!!

The room we had was a standard but it had a slight view of the ocean. So a tip if you can ask fro this room you will have a partial ocean view but not the price of ocean view.. ROOM 2365

My favorite place to eat was on the beach. They have a restaurant that looks out over the beach and ocean. Usually at night that place did get full but we always had a seat at the open windows. This was a great place. The waiters and staff fantastic and food amazing. We even had bottles of wine to drink with our dinners!!

I can’t say enough about this place and I hope anyone reading this who decides to go has an amazing experience like my husband and I did.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Caribe by Solaris, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
It is so important for us to know our guest’s opinions and realize that we, as a team, are accomplishing our most important mission, which is exceeding our guest’s expectations.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences at trip advisor; for us, all our guests are unique and each one of you are the most important one and our intention is to make you feel that way.

Hope to see you again!

Warm Regards

Hoteles Solaris de México
^G
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Honestly during our week stay here we had amazing time with no issues. We used Olympus tours for excursions and I would recommend them too. The hotel has bus services that can bring you shopping, clubbing, to anywhere u would possibly want to go. The staff is very helpful and always pleasant. The restraunts are very good. Our favorite was bogavante. They have three restraunts and then they also have a buffet. Room service is very good and open 24hrs. We ordered sandwiches with breakfast on the days we would be gone on excursions and pack it to go. Most places to visit offer one meal and one drink so it worked out perfect if we needed a snack. Every night they have shows that are very good as well.
This place is perfect for all and has something to satisfy everyone.
Only down fall that doesn't really matter is free wi fi is only available in the lobby. It was very minimal snd 50% of yhe time we tried we couldnt get on. So if your someone that constantly needs to be online for business or pleasure I'd recommend paying extra to have all the wi fi u need.
But overal if I could I would come back here every year.

• Stayed December 2012
Orllando Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Had a great time in Cancun. Though water temps in the pool and ocean at this time or year year is below what you would expect. Pool. Food fare is great for what you pay. Although food choice outside of the restaurants is hit or miss. Renovations were done well but still some minors areas to finish.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for expressing your opinion and for giving us the opportunity of being your host, needless to say that we will be more than happy to welcome you in your next visit here at GR Caribe by Solaris.

Regards,

Hoteles Solaris de México
^G

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!