“Expect good, but not great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of GR Caribe by Solaris

Save Saved
You added GR Caribe by Solaris to your Saves list
GR Caribe by Solaris
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd.Kukulkan, Km 20.5 Lote 64B, Cancun 77500 , Mexico   |
Ranked #34 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Jackson, Wyoming
“Expect good, but not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Let me start by saying that we had never been to an all-inclusive resort before. We tend to visit developing countries and mingle with the locals in budget to mid-range places. So with that in mind, we thought this resort was definitely worth the money. We booked through Orbitz for a standard room. Why stay in your room when there is a pool, jacuzzi and beach right outside? The room did have a humid feel, and there was only a fan, but we slept fine. It did take several days for wet clothes to dry. Our room was on the 2nd floor tucked in a corner facing the pool. We never had noise issues. The biggest draw for us was the ability to use the sister resort next door. It doubled our food options and we could go to the theme shows at night. The pool at the GR was decent. My only complaint were all the chairs with folded towels to claim a spot that went unused most of the day. But we never had an issue finding chairs down on the beach. The pool next door was a party zone with techno music and college students. Take your pick. The breakfast was a let down. Go to the buffet next door. The restaurant on the beach was great. Good selection and portions weren't so big you felt stuffed all day.The fancy restuarant was also good. I think my husband got away with wearing nice sandals, long pants and a hawaiian shirt. There was only one light beer selection which was fine by us. The tropical drinks were much better. They would make anything you asked for, and if you don't like it they will make you something else no questions asked. I did hear the house wine was pretty bad. We thought the service was fine. We started off our first drinks at every place with a tip and never had to wait long. We switched up breakfast between the two places. Then we headed down to the beach to get chairs in the shade. Abigail came down mid morning to take drink orders. She was super friendly. Then we normally had lunch at the beach restaurant, and once at the buffet next door. After that we hit the swim up pool bar next door all afternoon until the shade set in. Then we went back over to the GR jacuzzis and met a lot of nice people. Don't be fooled by the No Children sign though. They were allowed. Make sure you are nice to Vanilly. He is the man at the pool bar. After a decent shower we hit the lobby lounge before dinner. A buffet is a buffet, no matter how you look at it. We tried dinner everywhere and never had to wait for a seat. We went to most of the night shows, which I enjoyed being a musician. The bar next door was a party scene with kareoke, etc. We found the GR lobby lounge to be much quieter at night. They had live jazz several nights which was a little cheesy, but good background music. All in all, we were impressed with all of the options. We wouldn't have wanted to stay next door the whole time with so many people, and we would have gotten bored at the GR the whole time with limited choices. But mix the two and we had a blast. No, it's not a 5 star resort, but we liked the quieter location down the beach. We weren't looking for a 24-7 spring break party. Most of the children were behaved, and I never saw anyone get super out of hand at the GR. There was a huge range of ages, mostly couples or small groups of girlfriends. With the same set up we would go back for sure. And regarding the time share trick - we ended up checking in next door due to shuttle miscommunication, so we avoided that mess. We did talk to a few people who were "owners" and got mixed reviews. Most said it was a waste of money. If you want fancy, there are plenty of other options. If you want an affordable resort this is your place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

1,750 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Sorry - if your looking for the dream vacation keep looking. Trip Advisor?? Twice I have booked based on your ratings - I have come to the conclusion these hotels buy their ratings, this was my second and last trip to Cancun. I see your kiosks all over Cancun all I can say is it's quite a racket you have. The other so called 5 star hotel was also a bust. This was a family vacation, my daughter, 4 year old grandson and myself in celebration of my recent remission from non Hodgkin's lymphoma. Let me preface by saying your rating chart is overly simple. Upon entry the hotel is gorgeous, glossy floors, swank furnishings, the lobby is set to impress. However, upon closer inspection/experience it quickly becomes obvious it is an older hotel and in need of major work. I booked a "Premium Oceanfront Suite" Now think of what that evokes, yeah now forget it.. The room we were first checked into was picturesque, lagoon view from the door side, and ocean view from window side. It was late, I was already exhausted after getting jerked around at Avis for 2 hours, we were starving.. you get the picture. We hurried to unpack so we could get down to dinner, and quickly found the room was having major electrical malfunctions. We contacted the desk who sent up maintenance, after 25 minutes we left him there to go and eat. Good luck after 10 PM. We came back to the room still dead and notice that we would have to move. We had to repack everything, and were escorted to a suite on the beach level. I might also point out that one major disappointment with the rooms - no balcony. This room had a funky smell that got worse once we turned the A/C on, very frustrated and tired, I called the desk and told him we would have to move again but would wait till morning. THEN. Room service. Upon calling to order I was told 75% of what was on the menu was not available - NO exaggeration. It was now nearly midnight, NOTHING on the menu other than french fries that ANY 4 year old boy would eat. The food we did get was stale, as in sitting in a cooler 2 days stale. The pie was the only salvation.

The next morning, we went to breakfast which was totally forgettable, everything was dried up or watery. I then reported to the desk to get our new room. Mind you this was the slow season, there was clearly hardly anyone at the hotel, and the manager is telling me all the ocean view suites are rented save a very few.. what? Well, he sent me to 4 different "suites", 2 were more moldy smelling than the one we were in, one was by far smaller but he was making a big deal of the jacuzzi.. (a regular bathtub with jets) another which actually had a terrace, but had a King bed.. seriously? My daughter and I are close but THAT is pushing it, he did offer to send up a cot.. REALLY? I felt like I landed at the Red Roof Inn. Finally, he sent me to a room that did not smell and was in mostly working order. I say mostly because we learned very quickly the drains were half clogged and went down very very slowly, yeah picture that after shaving and brushing your teeth. I asked him to send someone up to fix it - it never happened. It was bad enough my daughter took a shower and it backed up all the way into the hallway. By now the bloom was well off the rose, but we were still trying to make the best of it. We headed down to the pool. Very small pool for a hotel boasting 200 rooms, it also boasted a "kids club" one of the main reasons I booked here, which it turned out was next door.. as was almost everything else. What parent in his/her right mind is going to drop a child THAT far away? Oh by the way, if you DO decide to stay here, stay out of the hotel gift shop, they actually charged me $26.00 US for a cheap little zipper bag (2 soap bars size) with a couple rubber sharks and assorted sea creatures - something you can get at the checkout in ANY Toys R Us for 2.95 all day long. To top it off the women working in there were bloody rude!

Then 2 days into the vacation they slid a notice under the door that the kids club was closed for renovation, they were moving it to some other "room?" Alrighty then. We stayed at the pool at our hotel, our waitress Abigail was very attentive, and did all she could to keep us comfortable. All of the staff were very pleasant and quite congenial, with exception to the pool next door was swamped with a rather boisterous crowd. It turned out there was actually only one "real" restaurant in our hotel, and it was a "dress" venue. So, every night we had to plod clear across the hotel down a winding ramp to a ridiculous series of elevators and floor changes to get to the "buffet", the food was positively awful, the only exception would be the desert table. I will say that Friday night had an unusually good spread - the rest of the time it was dreadful. I wound up taking us to dinner elsewhere most nights. I want to say that the staff was exceptional, although the desk manager that handled our room situation could use lessons in damage control, I want to say his name was Octavio or something like that? I have traveled often, and the room is not always perfect. However the manager's are usually bright enough to upgrade at no additional cost when a guest has been put through such an ordeal as this. On day 6 of the trip, my daughter became broken out with a strange rash, we had been nowhere else I can only assume one of the rather weathered beach chairs had bugs of some kind, my grandson had an allergic reaction that had both his eyes circled in red and swollen, the room had to be kept at the max setting for A/C or the floors turned into a sopping wet skating rink (answers why they all wreaked of mold) To top off what was clearly a very challenged "vacation" the evening of day 7 on our way back from Bubba Gumps, we were pulled over by the local cops for positively no reason - he claimed I was speeding (no damn way), he went on to threaten to confiscate my license in lieu of court OR I could pay him 1200 pesos (100 bucks) and he would "handle it" himself. Yes folks, shaken down by a cop! Taa Daaa!! My daughter was so upset she took my Grandson and left the following morning. Vacation from HELL - Check. Trust me, put down the extra cash and go to Hawaii, and what ever you do - book with a reputable travel agent. Orbitz is cheap, you get what you paid for.

Room Tip: Seriously? Try a couple miles up the coast at Dreams.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had a wonderful time at the resort, the staff was very friendly and helpful! We upgraded to a room with an ocean view. Which was nice, but it would have been much nicer to have an balcony. With the hotel fairly empty, I was suprised they did not even offer the upgrade. We paid extra for the room with a view. We were in a very quiet part of the hotel, which was nice - except for during part of the day when people were playing putt-putt (we were on the bottom floor) or when the workers were climbing up ladders do work! The room was okay. NOT a 4 star room! Not even close. The widows fogged up with humidity, and there was definitely a musty smell. We have been to other tropical/humid destinations and have not had this problem. Again, not a total mess, but average. The food was okay at best. The buffets were horrible, however the meals at Vento, Marco Polo, and another sit down for lunch were very good. Our bed was comfortable for us - they were hard, but we slept like babies! Watch out for the concierge(s) who will try their hardest to get you to come to their presentation. They were persistent, but just keep saying no - unless of course you are really interested. The pools (both property sites) are nice, the ocean is beautiful. Their area on the beach is not very well maintained. We give it a three because the ocean is beautiful!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I really enjoyed my time at this hotel. It is clean and quiet with good food and lovely decor. I love the Moroccan decor theme, the pool is quiet and clean; it is right on the lovely beach. The staff are so freindly and courteous and really aim to please. The little quiet romanitc courtyards everywhere are so charming.
The food is also great. you have the choice of three restaurants in this hotel, and the big themed buffet at the sister hotel next door. The 'bogavante' restaurant overlooking the beach serves amazing food, as does the a la carte 'veneto' restaurant in the lobby. I would expect to pay top dollar for the same quality food in London or NY. The free lobster dinner was also great. They try and revolve the menus as much as possible, with french, italian and even sushi on the menu! Drinks are great...amazing mojitos and they actually have a cocktail menu.
the snack bar is also actually really good with pizzas, burgers, hotdogs, nachos, fries, salads, chilli, ribs - a lot more than the usual slop you get at all inclusives!! the breakfast buffet at the restaurant by the pool was small but had great variety. hot coffee on tap all the time in the lobby and different services like flambe coffees and specialy shots at around 5pm in the lobby. the staff are all freindly, charming and really well dressed. the place is kept very clean and the maids do a fanatstic job, with a turndown service to boot; chocolates on the pillow and all!
we even travelled with a 4 year old and had no problems.
The place is quiet and i would say geared towards older people or couples, but it is pretty kid freindly too (as long as your kid isnt a monster...) next door at the Royal Solaris sister hotel, you can use their facilites and restaurants but dont bother; stay at the GR Caribe, becuase the solaris next door is horrible, loud dirty and had bad food (apart from the evening buffet, which has good food but an awful atmosphere).
The gym is ok...as good as they get over in Mexico with four treadmills, bikes, steppers, weights etc. staff try and organise daily activites but it is so quiet, people didnt really want to move from their sun loungers! (which was great).
We came in turtle season so every night at 8pm they let go 400 or so baby turtles into the sea; you can hold a few and get to learn about them - that was amazing.
I love the lobby-Open air lobbies are normal in countries like this and it would have been a shame if they close it off and air-conditioned it. I think if you want everything to be a closed, airconditioned box; you ought to stay in the US or something.
There are some things I would change...tiny things like upgrade the gym, maybe have a buffet lunch going at the GR caribe (as well as one next door). they are already doing upgrades right now, so I think it will be even better next year. Maybe invest in a few english speaking TV channels (only for the kids really). the beach isnt huge but is still lovely. of course mexican beaches all need a good clean, but that is mexico in general, not this hotel...oh yes and a shuttle service to the airport or to the mall would be good. Oh and the rooms dont have balconies, rather they have 'nooks' with couches and a table. We got ajoining rooms, which was great.
Lol if we got to rate the US airports though - my rating would be a solid 0/10 every time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for our 2 yr anniversary in October and we were very pleased. We have stayed at 5 star all inclusives before and this met all of our expectations! Food was excellent and service was amazing! You didn't even have to think about needing another drink and Abigail was already there with one! Joe , heme , and Giovanni were awesome at keeping breakfast and lunch entertaining and Fernando and Alberto with over the top service for dinner. All staff were polite and appreciative!! Only complaint was not having a balcony but we weren't really in our room that much so we didn't miss it...def would recommend and will come back.

• Stayed October 2012
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Here they treat their guests like king & queens! They know your nanes, they great you with a smile and do everything within their power to make your vacation the very best! I traded in my Palm Beach Resort and purchased here. That says it all!

Room Tip: This is truly a five star resort. I am a prudent rater. This is the first to get 5 stars from me.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
brigantine beach, new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We are Members with Solaris,a nd this was ur first time @ Caribe. Its beauitful and so peaceful. Geard at adults and quiet areas, we had such a relaxing time. Little Plazas all over the prperty, where you could sit and relax, the open air lobby is beautiful. The 2 resturants were amazing, th food and service were PERFECT! I was so happy witht his place! Very clean, and reminds me of old school Mexico. Service was supurb! Jose ( in the morning / service @ Cafe Solaris was AWESOME so friendly! ) The beach, pool, and Spa were also AMAZING! Love it! Thanks for another beauitful, relaxing vacation!

Do not listen or read the few bad reviews, I would think these are from people whom dont travel often! The place is simply amazing!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!