“Exceeded Expectations - Lovely Hotel, Great Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of GR Caribe by Solaris

Save Saved
You added GR Caribe by Solaris to your Saves list
GR Caribe by Solaris
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd.Kukulkan, Km 20.5 Lote 64B, Cancun 77500 , Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE WI FI
Ranked #34 of 173 hotels in Cancun
Dallas, Texas
“Exceeded Expectations - Lovely Hotel, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I have to repost my review because someone claimed my review was offensive. Not sure why they felt this way because I wasn't mean or rude, nor did I call anyone out. I was originally one of the first people to post a review after they renovated and renamed the hotel. The first few reviews were very negative and I guess they didn't like the fact I wrote a positive review. Now that there are more reviews out, myabe it won't be so personal anymore. Good thing I saved my original review in Word...

I always get frustrated when people set unreasonable expectations for an ALL-INCLUSIVE resort that is only costing them approximately $100.00 a person, per day. You're not paying 5 star price, so is it's not reasonable to expect 5 star amenities.

With that being said, here is a review written by a someone that has reasonable expectations of what a 3-4 star resort has to offer. My boyfriend and I stayed at the GR Caribe for 5 nights, April 7-12th, 2011 and thought it completely exceeded our expectations.

We arrived at the hotel room about 5 PM and were assisted immediately. We booked a regular lagoon view room through bookit.com and had forgotten to specify that we wanted a King sized bed. I was a little worried that the hotel would try and charge us extra to "upgrade" to a king size bed, but there was no issue at all. The lady at the front desk was extremely nice and friendly.

ROOMS: Reading some of the previous reviews, I was worried that the rooms would be crowded and small. However, all doubts went out the window when we saw our room. The room was surprisingly spacious and we had a HUGE balcony overlooking the front of the hotel. Granted the view from the balcony not only included a view of the lagoon, but also a view of the air conditioner unit on the roof. There was also a very large day bed and a table for 4 on the balcony. I have included photos of the room and the balcony, should you be interested in seeing for yourself. My one complaint for the room is that sink and toilet/shower area is extremely small. I only travelled with one other person, so even though the sink area was small, it wasn't a huge issue. We simply kept our toiletries on the shelves in the closest directly behind the sink. The shower and toilet were in an extremely small room and you couldn't even open the shower door if the bathroom door was open. There was only one light for the entire shower/toilet room, so it was pretty dim when you were showering. I am not sure why it was taking some people 15 minutes to get hot water. We did have to wait about 1 minute for the hot water to start flowing, but it wasn't anywhere close to 15 minutes. Keep in mind C is for hot water and F is for cold water. Being that I speak absolutely NO Spanish, it took me a couple of minutes to figure this out. Lols. The only other extremely trivial flaw about the room is the TV was a bit small for the size of the room. You know the room can't be too small when the distance from the bed to the TV is too far. And to address another complaint I read regarding the consistency of the bed... Yes, the beds are not the pillow tops you will find in 5 star hotels and they are a touch on the firm side, but it really isn't that bad. The only time I even noticed anything about the firmness of the beds was when I was playing around and took a flying leap onto the bed. I noticed then that the beds don't sink in or have a lot of spring. However, not once did the bed affect my sleep.

Food: The first night we tried to eat at Bogavante but were surprised to find it wasn't open that night. That left us with only Veneto if we didn't want to leave our side of the resort. The food was excellent at Veneto! We ended up eating there twice during our stay and thought everything we ordered was above expectation. They also put a lot of effort into the presentation of the food. The second night we reserved our "surf and turf" meal at Bogavante. The lobster and steak were decent, but nothing I would rant and rave about. The atmosphere of Bogavante is absolutely relaxing. The restaurant is overlooking the beach and you can enjoy the cool ocean breeze as you enjoy your dinner. We also ventured to the Royal Solaris for dinner one night and ate at Marco Pollo. They were serving French cuisine that night and there was nothing about the service or food that I can complain about. Lunch options were a bit limited, but still acceptable. To my knowledge, Bogavante was open for lunch each day if you wanted to sit down and order multiple courses. They serve a Japanese/Mexican fusion menu and the courses didn't change from day to day. However, there are many delicious options to choose from, so you needn't eat the same thing each day. I highly recommend eating lunch at Bogavante at least one time because the view is absolutely breathtaking and the food is excellent! We also tried the lunch buffet over at the Royal Solaris one time and did not go back. The food served around the pool was better and more convenient. As for breakfast, there is a breakfast buffet that serves all your basic breakfast needs. They make a mean omelette too! We were told that if the breakfast buffet at the GR Caribe was too crowded, the Royal Solaris also has a large breakfast buffet. Overall, i think the food exceeded my expectations by a lot. I've stayed at multiple comparable all-inclusive resorts around the Caribbean and the GR Caribe's food was a mile above the others.

Pool/Beach: My boyfriend and I were extremely adamant about avoiding the spring break crowd. We both have been out of college for quite some time now, but we still vividly remember what Cancun looks like during college spring break. We made sure to book our trip around that window. The week we went was PERFECT timing! The resort was extremely vacant. I was worried that we would have to wake up at the butt-crack of dawn each morning just to reserve a lounge chair by the pool or beach. The first morning my boyfriend and I moseyed down to the pool around 10:30 am and found that 50% of the chairs were still available. In fact, even some of the large "beds" by the pool were still open. All the chairs/beds by the pool had these thick cloth cushions which made laying out exceedingly comfortable. The pool at the GR Caribe was extremely slow paced and quite compared to the pool next door. The views from the 2 hot tubs are absolutely amazing! I couldn't stop taking pictures because it looked so surreal. If you enjoy a swim up bar, you will need to venture next door to the Royal Solaris. The one great thing about the pool at the GR Caribe is that you will still have sunshine by the pool late into the evening. The building doesn't block the sun, so you can lay out till 6 pm each night if you choose to. I noticed the pool next door at the Royal Solaris lost all sunlight by 4 pm each afternoon.

The chair vacancy on the beach was the same thing. Chairs were available in both the shaded huts, as well as in the sun. The beach was surprisingly clean, taking into consideration that Spring Break was raging full scale the 3 weeks prior to our arrival. The sand on the beach is quite nice. It's definitely not the nicest beach I've seen, but it's still very beautiful. The waves very rough, but the water is very shallow. There are red flags out to discourage people from getting into the waters, but people seem to disregard the warning flags all together.

Service: EXCELLENT! I cannot begin to complement the staff on their level of service. From the minute we walked in, the employees were more than eager to serve you. We had a drink in hand before we even finished checking into our rooms! If you are by the pool, Cinthia will have a cold drink in your hand every 5-10 minutes! She remembers what everyone is drinking and will continue to keep the drinks flowing, even if you don't ask for it. The staff is intent on making sure everyone is having a great time! All of our servers during dinner were extremely personable and entertaining. Let's just say the tequila was flowing more often than not. I would definitely recommend tipping the people who are serving you! We tipped at each meal and for each drink and we were definitely well taken care of. This was definitely better service than what you would receive at a larger resort. I think the service at the GR Caribe is honestly what sets this place above other resorts. Side note, bring small bills if you plan on tipping the service. The front desk only had change one of the days. We often had to ask the bartenders to break our larger bills.

I can't guarantee that your stay will go as exceedingly well as mine did, but please do realize that you cannot judge a resort based off of a few negative reviews. I by no means have low standards, but I do have reasonable expectations. I think the GR Caribe is a great resort for the price you are paying. I would definitely come back here and recommend this place to other people!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

1,790 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

a bit spastic, but here we go:
we took advantage of a deal on a "NEW" resort on a popular website for $99/night/person a pretty good deal. we jumped on it before really figuring out that this is technically just a remodeled section of the "tower" at the solaris hotel. we had access to both sides and they were sort of separate in stature. if you are booking the GR Caribe, make sure you check out the reviews at solaris, because you will end up spending half your time there.
we had a nice oceanview room and were greeting with electric lemonades as they assisted us in an early checking. everyone commented about how hard the mattresses were. they were just basic firm mattresses, nothing bad at all.... room was basic with a few channels in english including hbo/hln/cnn/abc. the rest were in espanol.
this is one of the first resorts on the strip closest to the airport. being first time visitors to cancun, we easily navigated the strip via the $1 bus ride, and the staff helped out a lot with any questions we had. there were two "real" restaurants on the GR side, veneto, and another by the ocean. veneto provided great service, and the food was pretty good. the other restaurant by the water wasn't formal, but provide same type of nice food. there were more options on the GR caribe side restaurants than the solaris' marco polo upscale restaurant.
breakfast was the same and not as much diversity in the buffet menu as the solaris side. omlettes with fresh salsa were the best. good fresh fruit but no "berries". expressos and friendly servers all around.
lunch you had to go to the solaris side, or to the beach restaurant for lunches. the snack bar had the same food on both sides. nachos, "boiled" burgers&dogs, pizza, fries, dark meat chicken nuggets, etc every day. this did get a little old. food was "eh" for lunch but we made due. one complaint was the food left out probably due to the stiff breeze was not always as hot as you'd like it to be (fries/chili etc).

the pool is NOT heated, and the hottubs were luke warm at best. this was a bit disappointing and due to the february weather we spent most of our time in the hot tub. barely anyone was in the pool on the GR side. it clearly said adults only but the 2 hottubs were almost occupied by splashing kids. security didn't help a ton with this.
at gr caribe we had nice padded lounge chairs, instead of the basic ones at solaris.

the resort itself was VERY clean, and everyone was very friendly. above and beyond really.
the beach was very nice although the lifeguards were very stringent on what parts were open....most of the beach was closed throughout the whole strip most of the time with the "red flag" even though the waves/undertow were little to none. they let you get in til about your knees, and in select spots they'd open it up. seemed like a shame to waste all that great beach!

last but not least lets talk booze. we had noticably better choices on the GR side. high end vodka was only smirnoff. beer on tap served was dos equis or sol (a personal favorite). they had champagne/mamosas, nice QUICKLY MADE frozen drinks. tequila served was mostly cuervo. bacardi rum....thats all i can remember.

overall we were happy with our stay, and at that price was worthwhile. just trying to divulge everything we can think of as we just got back! hope this helps!

Room Tip: heard people complain about tower by road being noisy, but didn't experience that
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

This was our second trip to GR Caribe in a year. We had such a pleasant time in March we thought we'd try it again over New Years. This trip was also very nice. I'm always surprised to read a bad review of this place as we have had great experiences. The staff is accommodating, check in was quick, the food is great the rooms and grounds are immaculate. Just a couple of pointers - avoid the "house tour" unless you want a sales pitch and stick with the Bogavante or Veneto restaurants for your dining - excellent staff and great food. We liked Bogavante best. Although you are free to hit the buffet at the adjoining Royal Solaris we found it rather bland - lots of choices but not a whole lot that is really is really special. The pools are nice (but not heated) and you again have a choice of the Solaris pools (larger complex more of a party atmosphere) or the Caribe pool (much more mellow). Our kids enjoyed the water slides at the kids club pool. Be sure to get out early to claim a good spot with your towel. Excursions can be booked poolside or through other agencys that are set up near the entry to Royal Solaris.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard near the bar can be a little noisy.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Woodland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

We read on the Internet that it was a new, 4-star hotel. Both statements are wrong. Hotel looks old even though it has been renovated and it is not up to the 4-star hotel standards. Problems started at check-in. My wife and myself came to the hotel with our older daughter instead of the younger one, as originally planned. We gave the registration clerk our passports, received the wristbands, two coupons for the lobster dinner and keys from the room. The room smelled like a smoked bacon. I asked for another room and was given a key to check it. The other room also smelled bad. I asked for yet another room. That one was a bit better. A few minutes in the room we received a call that there were problems with our registration. I was told that we have to pay for the extra person in the room as our daughter was over the child age limit and that we had to return the crab dinner coupons as this promotion was only for those guests who stayed in the hotel 4 or more nights. To resolve the first issue, we agreed to pay and asked about the price but the lady at the counter could not tell us how much we should pay extra and did not ask anybody about that (even though it was only 4pm). She promised to call next morning with the information, but nobody ever called us with this information. Only at the check out we were told that we had to pay $105 USD extra per night, which looked surprisingly steep. Concerning the crab dinner coupons, the situation seemed so wrong to me! Not because I wanted that dinner - in fact, I didn't care about it. It just seemed like the front desk lady did not care about the reputation of the house as I can not imagine that ANY hotel in the USA (even a 1-star one) would ask you to return something they gave to you, even if it has been done by a mistake. This seems even more ridiculous if you consider that we paid more than $600 USD for a 2-night stay and the crab dinner costed extra 18 USD! This treatment spoiled my mood for the whole evening. Next day during the daytime we wanted to take shower and it was no hot water. It is also worth mentioning that all three rooms that I saw had no balconies, which makes drying your wet swimming suites really inconvenient. Now good things. The food there was very good, especially at the restaurant Bogavante. The personal at the restaurants, at the pool, etc. was attentive and helpful. Summarizing, the hotel management has a work to do to improve image of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Hugo, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Listen its not a 5 star resort, but it worked out pretty well for us. We went in the middle of July. We booked the Royal Solaris originally but after reading not so good reviews I figured I would try to upgrade. So we did. When you try to upgrade haggle just like anything else...started at $100 night for a regular room ended up with ocean view with balcony for $60 a night. Nice big room, decent bathroom, ok balcony. You can use all amenities at both resorts which is nice. Caribe side they serve you at the beach and pool, Solaris side they do not. Buffet was ok nothing great. Marco Polo was great. Mexican was not great at the restaurant but good at pools. Beach was great. Pools were nice. Walk the beach at night and you may be fortunate enough to hold baby turtles and release them to the sea. Best experience. It was a great. Its a nice place, with decent food and a great view. Dont expect the Ritz and you will be happy.

Room Tip: Haggle for your upgrade...and I think its worth it!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

We stayed at this resort in late November. This is recently renovated property that looks just like new! Its located towards the end of the hotel strip, closer to the airport. The food was excellent for being an all-inclusive resort. The drinks are bit water-down, but they will be more than happy to double the doze. We found the property very clean, with free Wi-Fi in the lobby. The staff is very attentive and will go out of their way to assist you. We used public transpiration (bus) for a buck each way to get to the discos and malls. We felt very safe using this means of transportation...even at night. We also like the fact that you can use the amenities of the sister property next door. We'll definitely come back to this smaller all-inclusive resort instead of the Mega Hotels where the food and service might not be as great.

Room Tip: There are a few balcony rooms and most ocean view rooms have a indoor lounge instead of a balcony...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

We ended up going to Cancun at the last minute and when we arrived at the airport we did not have any reservations. So we got on the netbook and on the internet and booked the GR Caribe using hotels.com. We got a confirmation and took a $50 taxi drive to the hotel..

Upon arrival to the hotel we were greeted by a very courteous and very helpful bellboy that directed us to the front desk to get checked in. The counter was empty and we walked right to the check in counter. The agent on duty was very fluent with English and that did not really matter since I speak Spanish. He had to make a few phone calls to find our reservation but since it was booked at the airport I was expecting that to be the case.
In about 10 minutes we were checked in and our room was ready and our bellhop helped with our bags and went to our very spacious room. It was very large and very clean and I do not understand how some other guests had any complaints about the rooms.
We found the room to be very spacious, very comfortable and we liked the king size bed.
The decor was all new and very nice. The headboard was so impressive.
The next day we were upgraded to a bigger room with a balcony and oceanview for an additional price but it was worth it.
The first night we went to the sister property to have dinner at the buffet. We are not really buffet types but thought we would give it a try. The staff was all very friendly and courteous.
The food was very good and there was a good variety of dishes to choose from. It was a bit loud at the buffet but there was a lot of families with small children so that was not too enjoyable for us. We never went back to the buffet. Once we discovered the other restaurants I do not understand why anyone would go back to the buffet. The restaurants were so much nicer, better staff, better food and much quieter.
We enjoyed the facilities at the hotel. The pool was very nice and very relaxing. There was never any problem getting any lounge chairs by the pool and the waitress was very attentive and worked very hard all day long. She always had a smile on her face and was excellent.
Our overall impression of the place was very positive and we would go back in a heart beat and we would highly recommend this to everyone.

Room Tip: For 8 pesos you can take the bus to downtown Cancun
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to GR Caribe by Solaris? Share your experiences!