“No drinking water!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Caribbean

You added The Royal Caribbean to your Saves list
The Royal Caribbean
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Kukulcan Boulevard Km 17.5 | Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Spring Special Sale!
Ranked #35 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Certificate of Excellence 2014
new york
“No drinking water!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here one night in route to our stay on Isla Mujeres because our flight got in too late to make the last ferry and this hotel was relatively cheap and had good reviews. So we were basically there for about 8 hours only to sleep.

We arrived at the airport around midnight (flight from JFK was delayed a couple hours). The shuttle service we had arranged through the Hotel (Thomas More) was waiting patiently and were very friendly even though we were so late. I give the them 5 stars.
So after customs and the drive we finally arrive at the hotel around 1 am or so very tired. There was only one person working and check in took about 30 minutes even though there was only one family in front of us. So we finally get our key and ask if there is drinking water in the room or where they sell it at the hotel because we were dehydrated from the flight (and multiple drinks at JFK waiting for the delayed flight to take off). And they respond by telling us 1. there is no drinking water in the room and 2. there is no where to buy it at the resort (or close by)! What kind of resort in Mexico doesn't have drinking water available!? So we then realize we are in Mexico at 1:30 am very thirsty with no drinking water. It was like a nightmare. We were told there is however, a vending machine at the resort but it only sells soda! We finally just decide to wonder out onto the street and find a 24 hour gas station down the street and buy water. But just getting to the street is like a 10 minute walk. So whatever, we finally get water and go back.

The room was fine, pretty generic but clean enough with the smallest balcony I have ever seen. Like you could barely fit on it standing up. There was no table or chairs on it, it would never fit anyway. The pools and grounds looked really nice but we didn't get a chance to use them. The water at the beach looked very rough. When we checked out Sat morning there were hoards of people in the lobby, I assume because of the switching they make the guests do on Saturday. I would not stay here again even for a night (would pay a bit more for a Westin or something) But if the management reads this - please consider providing drinking water for guests to purchase 24 hours a day!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our room at the Royal Caribbean had a beautiful view of the ocean and pools. We really liked being able to use the pools at the Royal Islander too, which is where our son was staying. Both resorts went out of their way to get rooms for us close together. We did the water aerobics every morning at the Royal Islander and we played Bingo at both resorts and actually won a t-shirt our last day there. Both resorts had warm pools which I love. We loved all the restaurants we could walk to and the shuttle to the Sands and Hacienda Sisal. Our first night we went to Captains Cove to celebrate our daughters birthday and they surprised her with a birthday cake and sang Happy Birthday to her. Our grandson loved seeing the alligators in the water. He was so excited he wouldn't even eat. The next day he painted an alligator at the Royal Caribbean and took it home as his souvenir. We loved the cherries jubilee at El Conquistador and the Tampico Chicken at the Hacienda Sisal which I get every time I go. The Mexican Buffet and show at the Mayan was better than we had remembered in the past. Paco Taco's was ok but we felt like the meals were very small for the price. We did like the Chicken Fajita's though but felt like they needed some lettuce , tomatoes or cheese with them. They gave us a very small amount of beans. Another thing we noticed on this trip was that the bar tenders at both pool bars were not very friendly. In the past they made happy hour a blast. The servers who walked around and took drink orders at our chairs were very friendly though. The biggest negative to our whole trip was the day we spent at the Royal Sands. We usually stay a week at the Royal Sands when we go to Cancun but because of the the all inclusive chose to spend our second week at the Westin Lagunamaur. We did want to go there for the day since in the past it was our favorite resort. Unfortunately, we did not enjoy it as much as in the past. I went to the pool bar to get a banana smoothie that morning , and both bars were already crowded with loud toasting etc It did not have the same family atmosphere that we have always enjoyed in the past so we will not be going back. I left with a really sad feeling because we have stayed at the Sands several weeks in the past and always loved it. It did not feel like home this time. I really hope they do not make the Royal Caribbean all inclusive this year because we really enjoyed our stay there.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that does not have the sun shining on the balcony in the mornings. It was too sun...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I booked a vacation without our 3 girls, and decided on the Royal Caribbean. It was beautiful! The pool, the service, the beach, it was all amazing. Our room was really nice, nothing too special, but it was clean, and overlooked the beach, and when we left the room, we had a beautiful view of the pool. One thing is they don't provide shampoo or conditioner. Also, if you burn easy, bring your own aloe, it is like $20 there.
One thing I didn't really like was that they called our room 20 minutes after we arrived and asked if we had met with our personal concierge for our free gift. We went down and realized it was them trying to sell us a time share. We didn't wait for our turn, and we never sat through the presentation, so I can't tell you exactly what it was. Besides this, we had a really wonderful time. The beach is clean, beautiful, and the hotel provides loungers and beach umbrellas and bar service. The pool is great for children and adults, and has a swim up bar. You can borrow snorkeling gear and beach towels from the hotel.
All in all we had a great time, would definitely go back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I was one of those people who went to the Royal Resorts (Royal Mayan 1986) and said "They'll never sell me on one of these timeshares!" And then I went back again, and again, and again.....always as a rental off of Ebay, etc. It took me about a dozen trips to finally say to myself "What the heck am I doing; I love it here...Royal Mayan; Royal Caribbean; Royal Islander". So about 13 years ago, while at the swim up pool bar, I was talking to an owner of four weeks and he told me he was going to sell off two weeks, but offer them to his kids. I gave him my email and said to let me know what happens....thinking I would not hear from him again. Two months later I got an email telling me one daughter bought one week, but he still had one week available at the Royal Caribbean in early May....PERFECT! Worked with him and the sales office, made it all happen, and I have been happily going back to the same villa in Week 19 at Royal Caribbean ever since!!! Always amazing!!!

Room Tip: Every room has a great view of the amazing Caribbean Sea!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We have just returned from another wonderful stay @ Royal Resorts, although this was our first time at the Caribbean. One of the great benefits of staying here is the availability to move freely between the Royal Mayan, Caribbean and Islander for variety of pools, restaurants, activities, etc. The staff are professional and accomodating. Our Oceanview Villa had a great view overlooking the pool and sea. We especially enjoyed the sunrises and our own private "happy hour" on our balcony. If you like a shady, poolside spot I recommend scouting one out early. Our favorite hang out was under the trellis, mid-pool. There are plenty of palapas on the beach, if you prefer. On site concierge and travel specialists are available to provide information and facilitate any excursions...swimming with dolphins, ziplining, scuba, etc. Overall, a great experience...AGAIN!

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This Hotel really sucked!!!! We got in Friday evening, got in line and waited for 45 minutes to check in. . There was only 1 person working. Got a room but they had to move us the next day which was fine with me. In order to move from one room to another, I had to get in line again, waited for almost an hour. Everyone was complaining because of the wait. They need more people working at their front desk. I finally complained to one of the concierge, still, he couldn't do anything. Our room was never made or cleaned the whole time we were there. That was for 5 days!!!! Over all, I don't recommend this hotel and being a 5 star hotel, its not worth my stay. I would probably get a better service at a 2 star hotel.

Riga, Latvia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

we stayed for 5 nights in May of 2013 in Villa room (bedroom,living-room,kitchen) E1017.
Hotel looked like 30% full (seniors mostly) - there were enough free sunbeds and umbrellas on beach at any time.
Although there is bad noise insulation of buildings everywhere in Mexico, we slept well (until american idiots start talking - even when there are 2m between them, they always speak like hearing-injured)
We had take-away from local Express Bar mostly - fruit salad is very good at noon. There is good snack bar on a road with lagoon's view
Wifi connection is slow. Grocery shop of hotel is overpriced and Oxxo on the road is bad of choice as well.
There are two mayan sites nearby to visit. Buses R1 and R2 drives to downtown (where supermarket, craft market and ferry locates) 30 - 40 min

Room Tip: choose upper floor. In May left wing is better - a little more sun at noon
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Royal Caribbean? Share your experiences!