“Great place for a family vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Caribbean

Save Saved
You added The Royal Caribbean to your Saves list
The Royal Caribbean
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Kukulcan Boulevard Km 17.5 | Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Last Minute Special Offer
Ranked #22 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Gaston
“Great place for a family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just returned from a six night Interval exchange (from Marriott) and I was more than pleasantly surprised by the quality of the resort, the beauty of the location and the warmth and kindness of the wait staff and housekeeping. I didn't care for the people we dealt with at the front desk. I found them to be rude and not service oriented, several times.

The rooms were very nice with good quality beds and bedding. The shower head and water pressure in the bathroom was amazing...wonderful! There was housekeeping every day, with the exception of Sunday.

We enjoyed all the food at the Tradewinds restaurant and the wait staff was highly professional and kind. I was disappointed in the tables in the sports bar. They were the low kind you would find in a bar, not appropriate for eating lunch or dinner, so we didn't eat there.

We used Thomas More travel for our round-trips to and from the airport. I highly recommend them. We also booked day trips on the Duck Bus and a charter to Chichen Itza.

I would highly recommend staying at this property. It was well maintained with reasonable prices in both the food and convenience store.

If it goes to an all-inclusive, as mentioned on this site, I doubt I would stay there again. Otherwise, I will be back for sure!

Happy New year!

744 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I just returned from a week at the Royal Caribbean. Twelve members of my family (including three children) visited and had a fantastic experience overall!

The positives (in no particular order):

- The property is beautiful
- It's close to the airport (20 minute shuttle ride)
- The beach is clean, and the sand powder fine
- The rooms are large
- The water pressure in the showers is awesome
- The ocean waves rocked!
- Turquoise water
- Phenomenal staff
- Beach food and drink service (Alejandro and Esteban were fantastic - tip them well because they work hard!)
- Every room has a view of the ocean
- Free shuttle to the other Royal Resorts - including the Sands, which has an awesome restaurant, Hacienda Sisal
- Happy hour from 3-5 on the beach and at the swim-up bar: half price drinks!
- Sunrise view every morning

The negatives (there were only a couple):
- Check-in was a bit slow
- We had to change rooms on Saturday because most of the time shares run Saturday - Saturday. it was a mild inconvenience, but one we knew about ahead of time.
- The food at the onsite restaurant Trade Winds isn't very good (standard American bar fare)
- During the winter, the pool and beach are in shade by 3:30 or 4:00pm

I always trust what I read on TripAdvisor, so believe me when I say this was an excellent place for a family vacation. Thanks Royal Caribbean!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor when you book.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed in Cancun for one night due to a flight delay and chose this resort over a dull airport hotel, and would stay here again. Very accomodating and friendly staff. The entire property is spotless with beautifully manicured outoor areas. A perfect stretch of beach and beautiful pools surrounded by tidy gardens and courtyars space. Good restaurants, but to save a few dollars families can shop in the market and prepare food in a kitchenette. Guests have access to sister properties on both sides for variety, and there is an activity program for young people and adults.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We had a medical emergency and had to leave 2 days earlier than planned. Sydney the concierge was outstanding in helping us change our tickets and getting to the airport. Would have been impossible without her
help.

Room Tip: Higher floors are great
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed at this property for 8 nights and it was perfect!. It was our first time here, the property was beautiful and the staff very helpful. The living room/kitchen and bedrooms were all a little dated and could use some maintence but the size of the balcony was great. I was a little disappointed that there was no washer/dryer in the units but there are laundry facilites on the property. We use the tennis courts, kayaks, beach paddle tennis and took some of the classes. We did not eat at the property as we usually cook our meals and enjoy them from the balcony. We took the bus downtown to Sams/Walmart and felt very safe. Other items we would pick up at the store downstairs which was very convenient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

The resort is very clean and well maintained. Overall we had a good stay. Our room had a full kitchen which we enjoyed. We did shop some at the market located at the resort but found it to be over priced. Package of Oreo cookies $8. We took the bus to Walmart which cost my wife and I $1.50 one way, not bad. Everything there was 1/2-1/3 the price of that at the market on site.
I was not very happy with the concierge service at the resort, it may have been the language barrier that caused the issue. We sat down with our assigned person and discussed excursions. I expressed that we wanted to see Tulum and snorkel. After a long discussion we purchased a day excursion which we thought was to Tulum for half the day and then at lunch time we would go to Excaret. This trip cost a family of 4 roughly $500. We boarded the bus at 8 am and after about 30 minutes we found out it was only going to Excaret for the day. We stayed the entire day which ended with a 2hr Mexican themed singing and dance show which was very nice. We did snorkel the underground river at the park but my wife's mask leaked the entire time and then it was so dark there was nothing to see. It actually scared my kids because you never knew if something may come up from the dark and get you.
The only thing that saved the day was that during the musical show my daughter was the only person chosen out of the crowd to participate in the show. It made for memories that she will never forget.
There was really only one thing with our room that made for a bad experience. Each room has an individual thermostat to control the temperature which I really liked. The part that we didn't like was that when the air turned on the fan/unit was so loud that it woke us up every time. We didn't get a restful nights sleep the entire trip. We did try shutting it off one of the nights but then it became very stuffy which was worse. I don't consider myself a light sleeper so this was an issue which would discourage me from returning.
On a positive note the staff were very attentive. Anything you need they were there and ready to provide you with it. The pools were great and the beach was spectacular. The wait staff on the beach were on the ball practically running to get you drinks and meals to you quickly.
Another issue was the wireless Internet. The signal and speed was terrible. If you need access for work or anything important you better bring you own access, like a wifi hot spot etc.
If given the choice to return or to go to another resort I'd probably go elsewhere.
Brian,
South Haven, MI

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mulberry, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

We love the island and have tried half a dozen locations. We come back to the Royal Resorts for the service and hospitality. The staff is very friendly and make it their sole job to make you happy. We are not time share owners, but rent out through their service here. The amenities here, including pools, bars, restaurants, and groceries are exceptionally convenient. If I had to knock something, it would be the television. The 40" tv has limited high def and we could not get all the NFL games unless we went down to the sports bar. Minor, since we didn't come to watch football anyway. For our hard-earned money, we have not found a better place to stay in Cancun.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Royal Caribbean? Share your experiences!