“Our pick of all hotels/condos on 20th trip to Cancun.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Caribbean

Save Saved
You added The Royal Caribbean to your Saves list
The Royal Caribbean
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Kukulcan Boulevard Km 17.5 | Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Two FREE Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #26 of 174 hotels in Cancun
Mulberry, Indiana
“Our pick of all hotels/condos on 20th trip to Cancun.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

We love the island and have tried half a dozen locations. We come back to the Royal Resorts for the service and hospitality. The staff is very friendly and make it their sole job to make you happy. We are not time share owners, but rent out through their service here. The amenities here, including pools, bars, restaurants, and groceries are exceptionally convenient. If I had to knock something, it would be the television. The 40" tv has limited high def and we could not get all the NFL games unless we went down to the sports bar. Minor, since we didn't come to watch football anyway. For our hard-earned money, we have not found a better place to stay in Cancun.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

789 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
branford, Ct.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Just finished our 3rd stay at one of the Royal Resorts in Cancun and once again had a wonderful time. The facility is just so well maintained in both the units and all of the surrounding grounds, beach and restaurants. All of the staff is very friendly and helpful and you are really treated like you are wanted to come back over and over again which we will definitely do. Went to the new Mayan museum across the street and enjoyed it. Wanted to see it before the end of the world on 12/21. We would thoroughly recommend to anyone who asked and even those who don't.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Central Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The good: place is well kept. Museum next door is nice. Staff except front desk is helpful..exceptionally so. Ivan the marina associate remembers your name. Maitre d called and found prices at associate restaurant. We were here second week in December. Missed the welcome party..so we did not have activity schedule and they did not post it in advance. Had to wait until 9 am on the day to get schedule. The clients are friendly. More seniors like me. Maids kept room nice.

Plenty of parking..free.

Staff fairly helpful except front desk check in.

I had car trouble and they helped.

Rooms well appointed. Dishwasher and soap.
If you get two bedroom one can be lock off with efficiency. I loved that so I could have regular coffee, microwave and mini fridge for snacks.

They have no problem you bring food or drinks in plastic to pool. A big plus.

The bad: even though we were only one in line, the front desk did not even try to give us a room I wanted. I am looking at swimming pool on ground level and she smirked and smugly said it was a water view. I would have liked a choice..or a consult. When she was not buy and no one in line and the resort only one quarter full. Seriously, I have a pool at home.. I just wanted to mindlessly watch the waves and contemplate meaning of life. Instead I had to jump up and get dressed and walk length of property to see sunrise.

Also bad..resort forces you to put a non refundable deposit for food and drinks..if you use debit card. Refund if at all in pesos. If it were up to me I would only put fifty dollars. I felt instead of fresh fish at market we were forced to eat there to use funds. I like to have choice. I have excellent credit. So I don't like their system.

So I am here, they not allow me to get room I like...and they want to sequester funds...not my idea of first class operation. And chairs in front of my room are often taken.. One time two families of screaming children from next door moved in and I left.

Beyond that was a nice place..and accommodating staff. Most guest happy..though every now and then I heard someone unhappy with universe he he.

My toilet ran sometimes..I just jiggled it and did not bother..so I would not have to be bothered with maintenance.
Unit noisy..both outside noise and equipment...but bedrooms can close door.

Food:
There are convenience stores on site. Groceries too.Prices a little higher than in town but not outrageously so..and very convenient.

Last night options were Italian buffet 355 pesos rate 12.25 to dollar' prime rib 14 oz,, baked potato with the best sour cream I ever ate ..spiced, and roasted asparagus also 354 pesos, or ala carte. The buffet was scrumptious looking...loads of choices. But...that is a ton of food for a senior. The captains cove restaurant accommodated us without a reservation...and there was a resort discount of ten percent..so I got prime rib. Meat was so so, but rest was excellent and I brought half home in Togo box.

My only beef with the on site services is having to prepay and use a charge system. It was the choice as I understand cash deposit, debit charge you must decide in advance or credit card..and get possible exchange fees.

I normally just rent a house, villa, on vacation so I can get a set view..and do not have to fight over chairs.

This unit if get full one bedroom does have chairs.

Unless I could reserve unit with view I want I would be hesitant to return.

I did very much enjoy use of kayak on the bay.they have pool noodles and snorkel gear too. I brought my own mask. The fins are black full foot and come in size groupings. I tried same ones on snorkel trip and they worked fine.

This is not a hopping resort...but if laid back quiet.it is a nice place.

It is beautiful, well kept, and if you are here with friends you can have a great time.
I have a house, pool and very similar weather at home. I came for water as in ocean.
So my preference would have been unit where I could see ocean waves...even though very long walk and gerbil tubes.

Our unit was close to lobby, car park, pool, exit, stores in two complexes ...Royal Mayan, so many would love location. Whereas the ocean units are way the heck down there through long walkways aka gerbil tubes..and a long way from pool..and stores. Definitely a trade off. But again I was not offered any choice..front desk when I asked for view was SMUG and totally unhelpful..not accommodating. No way I ever own here and put up with that condescension. I travel routinely with special needs folks..and I can want some units handicapped accessible,etc. I plan big reunions and rent several units.

I would rate very well if check in was different.

I don't understand if the resort is more than half empty..why they would not even make feeble attempt to accommodate room request. They never gave any choice. They gave Zero thought to my future business. I was a guest. I rented two complete villas last year...needed fifteen one bedrooms. Very short sighted. The time share guy call us every day...but if they won't honor room request no way I come back unless others really want to, much less buy here.

I really don't understand why they not honor room request. Today I walk to the place to see water...AstroTurf wet from rain yesterday.

The only place I can go to see water is totally unshaded.

Whereas the rooms facing are covered balcony.

I did not fly to Mexico for two weeks listen to noisy kids, fight over lawn chairs and walk through development to see waves.

It would be different if they were full or busy..but front desk clerk just not give a darn.
I resent attitude. Why not be helpful? It would not have cost them anything...

I cannot comprehend it..especially when they are trying to sell units.

Foolish foolish foolish choice.

Apartment is nice. I love the unit. But I like to see the waves. It is a small thing to ask.

Room Tip: Good one. Unless you own at royal I doubt you have a room choice. Some rooms especially Oceanside ar...
Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Our party had a medical emercency and Sydney, a staff member was awesome in helping make emergency travel plans using two cell phones at once and speaking the local language. She stayed on the cell phone for over one hour and really saved the day.

All of the staff member were professional helpful and very friendly

Thanks Sydney

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I happened to have a week available to use and initially gave it to my parents, but when I realized it was a 2 bedroom place I decided to come down with a friend. The apartment was definitely nicer than I expected, not having had a lot of experience with time shares. It was virtually two apartments in one, with two separate entrances, two large bedrooms (one with King, one with two queens) and a nice large living room/kitchen in the middle with a balcony that overlooked the pool.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the pools were decent, although be aware that with the sun low in the sky at this time of year by 3pm the pools were in shadow and it was a little too chilly to go into the water.

If you're looking for a party or any time of atmosphere, this is not the place to be. Most people were either my parents age (in their 70's) or had young kids, and although there was a swim up bar that served all day, it wasn't particularly appealing. The food was mediocre at best, but I highly recommend walking 5-10 minutes through the complex to the sister Royal Mayan, with the food at the Palapa pool side restaurant vastly superior. There is also a much better open circular bar next to the Palapa restaurant although to my consternation it closed at 10pm.

If you're looking to just relax in the sun and use the place as a base to take day trips, then its worth staying ($16/head cab ride from airport, $30 for whole cab back to airport, $50 cab ride to Playa Del Carmen, Travel agent available onsite). If you're looking for even the teensiest bit of atmosphere and people to mingle with, then you're at the wrong place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Valparaiso, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This report is for the period 3 -10 Nov 12. Earlier I posted a Trip Advisor report specifically for the dive operation (Nautilus Diving) we used during the week. In this report I would like to give 4 ½ stars to our resort, Royal Caribbean. Since 2000, my wife and I have been trading our Marriot Grande Vista timeshare for timeshares in diving locations around the world (using Interval International). Royal Caribbean had the most well run check-in and check-out system we have ever encountered. The grounds, including the rooms and pool area, and the beach were immaculate. We are from Destin, Florida where our beaches are known as the whitest in world. Cancun is definitely in the same league with crystal clear water as well. If it weren’t for super high class restaurants competing for the Royal Caribbean dinner trade, I would have given 5 stars. Staff was great, internet in the room only took one friendly call to resolve a connection problem, and there was plenty of tourist stuff to do (after the scuba diving). Royal Caribbean in Cancun is definitely in our top four which include the following: (Cairns, Australia [live aboard diving, entertainment, and accommodations] – Grand Cayman [diving more so than entertainment and accommodations] – Aruba [Okay diving, but great relaxing accommodations, with some nice entertainment].

Room Tip: We had a beautiful room that overlooked the pool area in front of the the beach, but you might ask...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bedford, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

As a time share owner at the Royal Caribbean we have been staying there for over 20 years. The Royal Resorts are consistently clean, well maintained and the restaurants are very good. The staff is friendly and the beach has been well-maintained.

Room Tip: Ocean view or ocean front.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Royal Caribbean? Share your experiences!