“Awesome Time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Islander

You added The Royal Islander to your Saves list
The Royal Islander
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Kukulcan Boulevard Km 17.5 L-51 | Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Mother's Day Special
Ranked #30 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Coronado, California
“Awesome Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Just the wife and I for a romantic time. Couldn't have been better. Beachside service was awesome. Long walks on the beach. Rented a car and saw all of the ruins and Cozumel. Stopped in several small towns and ate some incredible food. We'll definately come back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Finnish first
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We have a villa on the ocean and we love it. The sound of the waves is so relaxing. We use our villa as a base and generally travel through out the Yucatan to bird watch. We also love visiting the archaeological sites . There seems to be new ones every year. There is a new museum at the entrance to the properties. The museum is terrific. We have been to the museum in mexico city and in chetumal and this one is just as good. Each is different. Our favorite is actually this one. We also went horse back riding for the first time this year. The ride was excellent and the staff at the ranch was very professional. They have helmets and are very safety conscious. In general we think the thomas trips are excellent and of great value. RI has an busy activity schedule if you plan to do activities at the resort. I did zumba for the first time and really enjoyed it.
The rooms are cleaned every day but sunday. The rooms are very clean, the cleaning staff friendly and helpful and have coming back year after year. The woman who cleans our villa has been here since we first bought 17 years ago. I like also that they are conservation conscious and do not automatically change everything every day - although they will if you wish.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ocean. We like the "A" side the best because it includes the liv...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

If you want somewhere that hasn't changed a bit since 1993, look no farther!

Pros:
Free wifi (but pretty bad connection in the room), free local calls, large but awkward room bc there is a ton of hallway space, reasonably priced convenience store

Cons:
Decor is extremely outdated, location is off from the main part of the hotel zone, long walk to the bus, god-awful weird cleaning detergent smell in the lobby, beach is full of broken shells and painful to walk on, you have to put all hotel charges (restaurant, convenience store, beach bar charges) on the room and can't pay in mexican pesos even if you exchanged a ton and want to use them, no toiletries provided (shampoo, conditioner, body wash)

It seems that most of the guests here were 50s - senior citizens and have been coming here for years. I'm not looking for a club at the hotel or anything crazy. I know cancun has plenty of that but I was expecting to see SOME other 20s/30s people at the resort.... If you are looking for a place that hasn't changed since it was built, this is your place!

Room Tip: If you're going on a friend-cation or romantic getaway, pick another hotel.
Glenview
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have come to Royal Islander since it was under construction as owners and each year, we are so pleased to be back. Spacious rooms and living areas, wonderful balconies to enjoy late sun, kitchens so you can cook in, and all of Cancun so you can dine out. Perfect beach! Much nicer size resort than the other Royals, smaller and friendlier.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Firstly, we used a time share for our holiday so I didn't consciously choose this hotel outright but I was very pleased when I saw our villa which had ample living, balcony and bedroom space. It was clean upon arrival. It's not as well located as the other hotels. It doesn't get cleaned very often and the bathrooms (tubs) both had stains on them. The decor wasn't really to my taste - it seemed to be an archaic feel of yesteryear and the bathroom was certainly tired. There was also a couple of times where there were significant issues with flushings of the toilet. The staff were fantastic and prompt in helping but I think it's a reflection of the facilities needing a revamp. I don't know what the other villas are like but I think this would suit families or those on a budget who will be eating most of their food in the villa or preparing it there, or are going on trips and just need somewhere to sleep at night. Thd pools and restaurants were nice but other facilities were only available at their sister hotels up the road. All in all it was pleasant but I personally much preferred the Westin Lagunamar Ocean resort.
Pluses - clean room on arrival, friendly staff, reasonably priced food, free wi-go
Negatives - bathroom issues as outlined above, a bit dated in general, no free or available luxury facilities such as a jacuzz/hot tub , in the quieter part of the strip where not much is happening

• Stayed November 2012
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Our trip to Cancun was perect! We exchanged our timeshare week in Arizona to stay at the Royal Islander. This was the first time in ten exchenges that we were happy with what we got. The facility was immaculate, although slightly dated. The room was spacious and well appointed. Big HD flat screens in living room and bedroom. in Every room has an ocean view. There are three Royal resorts side-by-side and we had the use of all three. Unlike other time share locations, all we had to do was say no thanks once and we were not bothered for the entire week. The food and service were excellent. We were pleasantly surprised that there was no "facility charge" for the excercise room, w-fi-, etc.

Our days went like this: sleep in, go out to a late breakfast, hit beach about 11 (the most beautiful beach we have ever seen!!), order drinks and food from the waiter on the beach, happy hour at the pool swim-up bar, back the room to clean up, out to dinner (different restaurant every night if we wanted), then to a show or karaoke. We never left the resort. Could not have been better!!!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

I LOVED this hotel. I did not think I was going to enjoy my stay here. My bf picked this one out. We love Cancun, we stayed at the 5 star The Royal all inclusive( which was a nice hotel, but not a true American ( star) and he wanted to compare being able to do the European plan ( only hotel room no food no drinks, everything is a la carte charge) to the all inclusive hotel package.
First I love 5 star luxury hotels (The Peninsula, St. Regis, RC, Wynn, etc.) this from the pictures is not anywhere near those hotels in room decor. We stayed in a two bedroom suite with kitchen. The decor was outdated, the kitchen was outdated. However the rooms were very spacious and extremely clean, wonderful housekeeping here. Our checkin was smooth and fast. We were assigned to a concierge who led us to our suite which was on the pool level and facing the pool. She was sweet, did not try to sell us a timeshare, actually no one did, which we loved. We then inspected the suite and I decided I liked it, we then headed down to the market place to get drink mixers, water, milk, eggs, bacon, toast, pico de gallo and ice for our 8 day stay. The priced were reasonable, not as cheap as WalMart but very reasonable. We planned on having breakfast 4-6 days in the suite and eating lunch and dinner out. We ate at Pacos Tacos several times, the fish tacos are the best I have ever had, ever. The guacamole was good. I had one margarita on the first day there and it was so strong I couldn't drink anymore lol. All the food we had at Pacos Taco or downstairs outside bar was really really good and reasonably priced. We had the Pai Ai, it's a pineapple based alcohol drink in a pineapple with fruit stick in it to look like a face, it was really fun to drink. We also ate off property several times at the La Isla mall overlooking the lagoon and also in downtown Cancun. We choose the type of cuisine and scenic water front restaurants, we spent the same amount we spent at The Royal for the all inclusive, however the food quality was much better, more variety, and better scenery.
The hotel bartenders, pool servers, restaurant servers, housekeeping, front desk, and activity coordinators did a fantastic job. I was surprised how much I truly enjoyed my stay here. Is a 5 star comparable to The Peninsula in Chicago or New York? Room/hotel decor no... But it doesn't have too. It's charming and extremely well maintained (as in spotless everywhere) great drinks, great food, wonderful warm friendly service, and great housekeeping.
Big huge great pool and. Very nice swimable beach, not rocky and the waves came in gentler than the Royal beach. I loved this place will be back. And I ENJOYED the non inclusive plan, we found it gave us more freedom to choose and the food quality when you pay for every meal goes up. I would have 1-2 drinks and have an amazing buzz, at the all inclusives I could slam down/binge drink 5 trying to get a buzz and nothing would happen except I would get a headache lol. We are even *shock* thinking about buying into the Royal family timeshares now. It truly was a magical vacation for us here :-)

• Stayed October 2012

Been to The Royal Islander? Share your experiences!