“I would recommend this resort and the all inclusive package to everyone!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

You added Hotel Riu Caribe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Caribe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan, Km 5.5, Lote 6-C | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #34 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
midwest
“I would recommend this resort and the all inclusive package to everyone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

We truly enjoyed our stay at the Riu Caribe. The food was unbelievable. There was such variety and it was all prepared to perfection. We loved the specialty restaurants as well as the regular buffet restaurants. Drinks were great and the coffee too. I would have really liked my own coffee pot in the room more than the alcohol bar. The salad bar was awesome. It all was magnificent. The room was clean and comfortable. I would have like our patio to be directly facing the beach rather than the rund down building we were mainly facing. Room service was superb. The entertainment each evening was great. Their outdoor theater was so nice. The entire staff was so friendly and willing to help in any way possible. It was one of the most wonderful experiences my husband and I have ever had. We can not say enough good things about this all inclusive resort .

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bay View, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Riu Caribe in the middle of January. The hotel is pretty and clean and although we read all these reviews about the rooms being old and the marble floors needing to be redone, I have to say we thought the rooms were fine, a tad outdated but no biggie to us. The water pressure isn't the same as in the US, but you just had to hold the handle down on the toilet for a little longer that we are used to and , no problem. The wind in the hallway was unreal, you litterally had to hold onto your door tighly when you opened it or it would get away from you and bang, but we thought it was funny. It was true, if you wanted a poolside chair you had to be an early bird and get down there about 6 or 7am, but the beach chairs were fine too, we actually found a sandy spot over by the stage, with a bar and bathroom close by and it was perfect!! The beach was very nice and if the water had been warmer I would have been in the ocean often, but the water was cool while we were there. The food was fine, I have had better, I have had worse. There was always more than enough selection, so if you couldn't find something that you liked, then I feel sorry for you. Drinks too, if you wanted something special all you had to do was ask. We loved that there was a mini bar in our room, it was nice to grab a beer while getting ready or a soda in the morning. This vacation was planned for relaxation so we really only wondered into Old Cancun 1 day and then the "new" Cancun for a few hours another day. I can see where 20 year olds would want more night action, but the buses were close by and no problem to use, so you could easily get to where the night life was. We used Best Day and they were wonderful, I would highly recommed setting up transportation before you get there because it is quite overwhelming coming through the airport, but we were told exactly what to do by Best Day and that was very helpful.
The only negative thing I have to say is that after checking out of our room to go home, once on our flight home I realized that I had left all (5) my bikini's in a drawer in our hotel room. Once we landed I immediately called the Rui and was told to call back in the morning to speak with Housekeeping. I called back the next morning and explained what had happened and was told that we had to email housekeeping as the majority of the housekeepers didn't speak English. We wondered if they didn't speak it, how they read it...needless to say it has been almost a month and we have made numerous calls and sent MANY emails and have yet to get a reponse!! Who would wear someone else's bikini??? A response is all we were asking for.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

I speak as the perspective of a travel consultant.
My friends and I stayed for 14 nights at the Riu and we flew with First Choice Airways (when they excisted) in standar class, fantastic amount of legroom, me and me friends are at least 6ft and over, comfy seat and relativley edible veggie meal aswell....surprising!!!

We got dropped off second on the coach transfer as we were part of the premier package with first choice. Upon checking in, we did have a long wait, i do believe they did'nt have the appropriate rooms allocated for us...however we waited in the lobby bar and sank quite a few coronas and tequila sunrises...as it turned out they upgraded us to a suite, which suited us fine!! All rooms have an amazing ocean view with big balconies

The food at the hotel is fantastic, im a veggie aswell, and even in the steak house there is alternatives, but the main buffet restaurant is somethingto marvel at. Masses and masses of food, from traditional mexican cuisine and burgers and hotdogs to keep the Americans satisfied. The waiters are great, they do not require a tip, but we did and alot of others did so aswell. The mexican restaurant is fantastic, but make sure you get up early to reserve a table for a decent slot for dinner. The oriental restaurant was mediocre at best, but who goes to Mexico to eat oriental food? The bars at the hotels is fantastic, all premium brand alchohol not local brand like most all inclusives. Again tipping was not necessary. The great hting about the Riu chain, is that you can dine and use the facilities at all Riu's during your stay. We dined several times at the Riu Cancun and Riu Palace las Americas.

My only jibe would be towards the entertainment staff, they tend to hassle you whilst your simply sunbathing or walking around the hotel, i understand that this is their job, but it simply is a hindernace to me. I dont mean to come across as a bore, it is mearly becuase we were nursing a dreadful hangover from the night before!!

The hotel itself is in a fantastic location for the amazing clubs and departments stores that Cancun has to offer. La Isla is amazing and is packed full of designer shops and at a bout half the price of back at home.
We went in October, and weather wise it was fanatsic 33 degrees plus everyday, we had 20 mins of rain on one day and that was it.

I really recomend going and seeing chitchen itza, it is amazing!! And dont forget to go to COCO BONGOS!!!!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Harrogate
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

The staff were great, the food was spot on, rooms were clean and we had a sea view. The beach was gorgeous and we had waiter service. The pool was massive and the swim up bar was brilliant. Not a bad thing to say. Book your holiday to the RIU Caribe now!

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

This place sucked.
our beach front room was given away.
our kid's toy's for the beach were stollen.
my son's shoe's were stollen.
I have bug bite's all over.
The food was awful.
never again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Apleton, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

We flew in out of Milwaukee to Cancun on AirTran. Great flight 3.5 hours total. Stewards really helped us with our Mexican forms, the most helpful I've experienced. Toured with Apple Vacations so follow the multi colored Hawaiian shirts till you see the Apple sign outside the airport. Transportation was quick, clean, cool, and efficient. Check in took all of 3 minutes. Thought front desk were the least helpful but thats just because the rest of the staff is SO MUCH better in comparison. After hearing stories from other travelers complaining about rooms etc I don't blame the front desk staff. Not everyone is going to get to pick out the "perfect" room people! I heard people complaining about a 4th floor vs a 5th floor blah blah blah. Seriously! We had room 305 and thought we had the BEST view very happy. There isn't a bad view really in this place unless you get really unlucky and get a ground floor room, those do suck big time (like a basement).
Room 305- Sparse w King Bed, older decor, and worn furniture (dresser, 2 night stands, table, 2 chairs, new minifrige, older safe, balcony was small with excellent veiw and 2 chairs and a table. Very Very clean.
Maid Service 5 star sheets changed everyday, I also had a cold so she left extra boxes of Kleenex, and extra pillows and blankets for us. Sheets, towels changed everyday, floor spotless, no sand, and she folded and arranged our clothing to make everything look super neat. I left out $5K diamond earrings, and cash the whole time and she only ever moved my jewelry to wipe the counters. Left cute little towel animals each day. Stocked minifrige with bottled water, sodas, beers each day. If I was to be robbed in this place I would blame a tourist first.
Restaurants: We ate at the American Lunch buffet outside, it was OK. We really liked Breakfast and dinners at the nicer buffet inside. Left a dollar the 1st night and got treated like royalty the rest of the week. Made reservations for 3 ala cartes for the next 3 days the next morning. Didn't like the Mexican, found out whatever the specials are at the restaurants you will see it on the buffet. Buffet was really nice, had JUMBO shrimp, crab claws, lamb, duck, pork, tenderloin tips, lobster bisque etc. Desserts were wonderful too, always had ice cream, great coffee, and REAL chocolate fondue.
Ate at Pool bar during days for lunch, had a lot of nachos and guacamole excellent! American food was horrible, but I don't like hamburgers, hot dogs and french fries on vacation. I enjoyed the European Breakfast inside the most and still wish I could be there for that. Eggs to order, fresh fruit smoothies, excellent coffee, fresh fruit, 10 different types of cheese everyday ( I am a cheddarhead). Waffles, pancakes, sausages, bacon, quiche, yogerts, sweets, fried plantains, etc. etc. etc....
Beach: The best beach, soft powdery sand with almost no waves the 1st few days, water was warm and is very salty compared to other beaches. The wind shifted the next few days and thin seaweed piled onto the beach but they raked it up. A few vendors (3) each day but not pushy. Very clean beach, lots of chairs, watersports included wind surfing & Hobie Cats, The SCUBA divers said it was excellent dives with good equipment, visability and only 2 divers per boat! I had a cold so was sad to miss this they RAVED about the diving with Lg Morays and lots of nurse sharks. They do deliver cocktails right to your chair. I would move to the corner of the beach after 4pm to get sun for another hour or 2. They supply fresh beach towels 1 each person.
Bars: I brought a thermal cup so the bartenders would put a whole blender full in it each time. Choco Monkey and Miami Vice, and Mojitos from scratch with real fresh mint. They even sell cups in their gift shop for $8 USD. Careful we figured out the cost of sunscreen to be $50USD a bottle and up!!! Ask for the good stuff and you will receive but only if you ask. Lots of cocktail servers on beach, around pool, in lobby. I used to bartend and I found the quality of the cocktails to be quite good. Only beer is on tap Dos XX. I like that beer so Yay! My hubby thought glasses were small so he ordered 2 each time lots of people did this. Thought service was great, way better than Southern US!
Entertainment: These guys work from 9am till 4am to make sure everyone who wants to party has fun. I'm a read on the beach gal but my hubby liked the beach volleyball, water polo games, pool volleyball, and pool basketball. They do have a kidde pool about a 1.5ft deep of good size adjacent to adult pool. Pools were very clean but cooler, when it was 85 the pool felt great! Entertainment in the lobby each night, along with something in the ampitheater (Mama Mia, Comedy Show, Micheal J. Tribute). They also had VIP tours to the local clubs but was told this is silly when you can go yourself for less and get more. If you stay i the tourist zone it is very safe. We did a Hummer Tour (7hrs of great fun!, and shopping at Market 28).
We plan to come back to this same hotel same room next time might even bring our 2yr old next time. The rooms get an earfull of the hallway drama but this is bc its all marble instead of carpet. I'll take CLEAN and loud over quiet and musty anyday. We have a travel white noise machine from sharper image we take everywhere. We were only in the rooms to shower, sleep, and sit on the balcony drinking from the mini fridge. I did get a wonderful Hot Stone massage and thought it was a good value.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

I am 27 and I traveled with my 25 year old sister. Before our trip I read a lot of these reviews and they were definitley mixed so I am going to aim to give you my honest opinion of the Riu Caribe.

It was OK. The beach was beautiful and absolutley perfect. There were a lot of chairs and we never had a problem finding two any time of day. The pool was nice too. A little bit cold but once you got in it was fine. The pool bar was convienent and the staff working there was great, although they made us some nasty shots!

One thing to say about the staff is they were good. Almost everyone we came in contact with was really friendly and helpful although sometimes I felt that we got passed over in favor of helping the older couples and groups! We did tip sometimes to the bartenders, waitstaff, and maids who provided us with outstandign servide. They work really hard to please and deserve a few dollars for their trouble and are very appreciative.

The food was OK. Honestly, we didn't really enjoy much of what they offered and felt that the quality was poor. The food in the buffets was very repetitive and not very tasty. We ate at the Margarita resturant which was medicore and also at the asian one which was also OK, except for the fried ice cream which was delicious. Their 24 hour food offerings are a joke. Some microwavable stuff and cheese and chips.

The hotel was sooooo boring! We enjoyed ourselves relaxing during the day but were hoping for some activities throughout the day and also at night like we have seen on cruise ships and other resorts. They offered very minimal in terms of stuctured events. The two shows we went to were Mama Mia (pretty bad but they tried) and the comedy show, which was actually funny! Afterwards people were just sitting around the lobby and such. We probably would have had mroe fun if we had a bigger group of people with us but we were quite bored!

The rooms were OK. We felt they were pretty clean and the maids did a good job each day. We were disapointed in our view but it wasn't a huge deal. We clogged the toliet like 3 times on our first few days there so just flush often b/c the plumbing is nothing like what we are used to in America! The mini fridge was nice but they didn't stock it everyday, so we often had to call for more water, which arrived promtly. The beds were hard but I slept pretty well most of the time. I would recomend ear plugs though b/c there is a lot of noise. Shower was fine, although it was a little hard to get into b/c it was so high. Safe was OK but was annoying haivng to keep track of a key.

Location was OK but we would have prefered the Riu Cancun, which we visted a few times, because it is in the downtown area and we would have like the ease of accessing the stores and bars and restaurants. The Riu Cancun seemed a little nicer to me except for the beach which wasn't as nice but we would have still prefered to stay there based on the location. We had no problem taking the bus from the Caribe to wherver we went and we recomend that everyone uses it as it is fast and reliable transportation. Telll the driver where you are going and they will tell you when to get off. We did walk back from the resturant area and it was a loooong walk. We ahd flip flops on and wet bathing suits and it was very uncomfortable. If you dressed appropriatley, it wouldn't have been too bad but we didn't enjoy the walk. We did feel safe everywhere we went.

I highly recomend booking airport transfers and excursions with Olympus Tours. They were great, especially Victor. Olympus Tour reps are in the hotel and wear orange shirts with white writting and navy pants. We did a catamaran to Isla Mujeres and went snorkeling, saw the downtown and beach area, and swam with the Dolphins. It was awesome!

We also did a bar leap from Congo to Corona bar to Coco Bongo. I hated Congo it was way to crowded, the strobe lights never stopped, and there was no where to sit b/c we came with the bar leaping group and the staff there didn't care if we were comfortable. Corona Bar was very cool and Coco Bongo was amazing. The area we were in with the leaping pass was in a bad spot. If I went back to Cancun I would go to Coco Bongo alone (not as part of a crawl) one night earlier in the evening so I could more enjoy the show without it being totally crowded and before I got pretty drunk. One thing I disliked about the bar/clubs is the expensive cover chrarges made it prohibative to stop in and have a drink or two before moving on. If you spent $50-$60 to get in you were commited to a place even if you didn't like it.

So basically this vacation was only OK. The beach was beautiful and if you just plan on relaxing then you will be happy here for the price. If I came back to Cancun I wouldn't return to the Riu Caribe but might try the Riu Cancun or another one in that general vicinity. If you have any questions feel free to email me at [--]

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends