“Enjoyable stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

You added Hotel Riu Caribe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Caribe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan, Km 5.5, Lote 6-C | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Enjoyable stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We did enjoy the great services and facilities. The personnel provides a remarkable services, clean rooms, and a variarity of restaurants from Asian to Mexican food. A lot of complementary activities and nice beach and pools!

Room Tip: The only drawback is the wifi service. In my opinion shall be free or at least with more free time f...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Barry, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Me and my partner (20, and 21) visited the Riu Caribe on th 29th of June for 2 weeks (so until the 13th July). I have to say this has been the best place we have been so far! Firstly the location of the hotel was perfect for us. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute drive from the airport, it is just down the road from the main strip of Cancuns nightlife, but further enough so that you dont get disturbed by all the party animals. You can catch a bus either (R1,R2 or R3) which stops right outside the hotel and has many stops all along the road and you can go as far as you want for 1$ or 9pesos. Upon arrival we were greeted by the staff and our bags were carried for us. The staff were very helpful when checking in and we were immediately brought some refreshments. The lobby is large and very clean with 2 bars serving drink after drink. The waiters come straight over to take your order within minutes of sitting down in the lobby and they bring you bowls of nuts to snack on. The room was very clean and spacious with very modern royal blue furnishings and an all inclusive mini bar containing cans of soft drinks, bottles of water, soda water, beers and bottles of spirits which are restocked daily. The pools were brilliant. with one very large pool near the main snack bar where all the entertainment takes place from 9am all the way to 5-6pm. Dont worry its nothing loud in the morning, usually stretching and yoga down on the beach! Then they start conducting water polo, water volley ball, beach volley ball, zumba, salsa dancing lessons, and all other crazy activities! The other pool is the 'quiet pool' which is round the corner from the main large pool, where you can go and relax if you dont fancy taking part! The beach is literally on the doorstep of the hotel, and the waiters are constantly back and forth bringing you more drinks! The food was super! For breakfast, there is two options, the main buffet restaurant which offers absolutely everything! and the snack bar down at the pool offers a smaller buffet from 11-1 for all those with a hangover! For lunch you can either go to the main restaurant where breakfast is held where a large lunch buffet offering all different foods from pizza, chicken wings, rice, curry, fish, chicken, spaghetti, salads, everything you can think of. The snack bar is also available which offers a similar but smaller buffet to the main restaurant which has hot dogs, burgers and such. Additionally, over by the quiet pool there is a pizza parlour, where you can go and order any pizza from the menu and they will cook it fresh for you and bring it to you, you can either sit there or take it to your sunbed! This takes about 20 minutes roughly though so bare that in mind. Also, the hotel runs special days where they hold big BBQ's next to the pool with bbq ribs, chicken legs, salads, chips, paella, hot dogs! This is handy if you fancy staying by the pool all day as you dont really have to move! There are 3 a la carte restaurants, Asian, mexican and steakhouse. I HAVE TO RECOMMEND the steakhouse!!!!! It is fantastic, the food is delicious! The staff cant do any more for you! They are all so helpful and friendly! The entertainment in the night is very good, the animation team are fabulous, they always put on an entertaining, new, exciting show each night, id definitely recommend rock station, and the 50 songs in 50 minutes show-so funny! This is held in the calypso theatre which is huge! its air conditioned and very modern! also, hotel runs kids club throughout the day and also kids shows in the night just at the stage at the back of the lobby area, where often singers and brass players play if you dont fancy the main show in the calypso theatre. The gym is fairly sized with every essential gym equipment needed, and the use of the jacuzzi and steam room is free, however the jacuzzi is outside and it is absolutely BOILING! so i dont recommend it, but who needs a jacuzzi in that weather anyway! And as for the weather, we were told it was storm season when we went however it didnt rain once! it is boiling! The weather was fabulous and the sea was beautiful! Im not much of a beach lover but this one won me and my partner over! we done a few excursions, one that id definitely recommend is the Scuba diving, we took part in the free scuba demo which is held in the main pool, Alberto is brilliant! he then mentioned that we could book to go scuba diving out in the coral reef, we could book this down on the beach or at the desk where you can get pool towels. It was a very good price too! so we done it, it was our frst time ever scuba diving and it was amazing! Another well worth seeing trip is Chichen Itza. The trip was booked through thomson but it was well worth the money. We were picked up very early but as the bus takes 3 hours to get there it was worth it so that we arrived just as it opened in order to miss the crowds! Also it is soo hot i couldnt imagine going when the sun is at its peak! So its definitely worth getting up early for! after chichen itza we were then taken to a natural swimming pool underground which was AMAZING. one of the best things on our holiday! we were given food which was actually very nice (and im fussy!) and we then visited a tequlia factory where you could taste all different tequilas for free! Then on the way back we stopped at a small town where you could have a quick look around. Then it was only about an hour or so before we got back to the hotel. The trip overall was such good value for money and chichen itza is one of the 7 wonders of the world,if you're a fan of Karl Pilkington, he's visited chichen itza in season 2 of An idiot abroad! We also went on the speedboat trip which was fantastic! The only thing i WOULD NOT recommend is the 'wet 'n'wild' water park. It is not the best at all. Ive been to many waterparks and this one definitely wasnt great, although we made a day of it i wouldnt recommend it. The hotel was amazing and definitely the best place we've been so far. Cancun is just perfect, the weather, the people, everything!And I always say id never visit the same place twice but i cant imagine anything beating this place as a whole! It just had everything! So much so we want to go to Mexico again next year!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view due to the trees being quite high!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Went with 5 female friends in June, 2014. Have stayed at many Riu hotels previously in Mexico and certainly this hotel had the usual high standard of good food, cleanliness, lovely grounds and friendly staff that are synonymous with the Riu brand. We did have an excellent vacation but I think that had more to do with the people we were with and the people we met. The hotel is somewhat lacking in "atmosphere" and adding some music or entertainment in the main lobby during the evenings would be a great improvement. The hotel is very quiet so if you want to get your "party" on, then you will have to go downtown. That's fine - the bus runs every two minutes, only cost $1 US and the nightlife there is great. Would just have been nice to stay at the hotel some nights if there was some music and a more lively vibe.

Room Tip: Beach front views were beautiful - 8th floor was great.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

This was our third riu hotel chain stay. Compared with the other hotels in Jamaica and playa del Carmen, this was our least favorite.
Rude front desk staff- were not willing to help with taxi issues or anything really if you didn't book your stay through riu.

Food wasn't great. Only 2 places to choose from. Displeased with the waiters in the dining room, making people who have already started eating get up and move to a smaller table even though the place is half empty and closing in 20 minutes.

Beach is small, not many water sports as compared to other Rius. Get there early to find a chair.
Rooms are incredibly noisy. Bring earplugs if you want to get any sleep if you're staying on the 4th floor or lower.

Sorry riu, but this vacation has soured our taste of your all inclusive hotels. Moving on to either another chain or another type of vacation.

• Stayed August 2014
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

August 17, 2014 - we arrived yesterday and here is our impression so far.
Good Part - nice clean property. Got two rooms on 9 th floor. Check in was easy. Staff is helpful and tries to provide good service.
Beach is nice and pool is good also.
NOT SO GOOD part. There are 3 Restaurants that require reservations. This Am tried to make reservation for any three - NONE WERE AVAILABLE. This is disappointing after paying thousand of dollars for all inclusive setup. Now I am starting to wonder is it worth getting all inclusive? Lunch and breakfast are good as it does not require reservations. We will know this whole week if we get to go each of the restaurants that require reservations.
Food is reasonably good in the buffet-lots of selection. Good fruits. Lunch is also good by the pool. Dinner at buffet place is ok. Drinks are not that quality. Wine is really bad. Beer is ok. Only tap beer; no bottles either.

I believe RIU Management can make change by adding more restaurants or expanding capacity. Based on occupancy rate they should be able to adjust the restaurant availability.
Any queuing theory model can predict the demand for these restaurants.
Will update again during the week based on how our stay develops.

• Stayed August 2014
Bronx, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Riu Caribe in Cancun from August 12th throughout the 16th with my husband and two daughters aged 18 and 23. I'd give the hotel a 3 and 1/2 rating if I could give a half rating. The resort is a decent one for the price and has both positives and negatives but the positives outweigh the bad. It really depends on what your expectations are and what you are looking for. I found the service wonderful as every single staff member was attentive, cordial and responsive. We were unhappy with our room and the next day as promised we were given a beautiful oceanfront view room. Waiters make very frequent rounds in the pool, beach and lobby areas to attend to drink requests. I found the service to be the same with regards to the room being cleaned, service at the front desk as well as the restaurants. I didn't drink heavily so I don't know about tipping to get stronger and stronger drinks but I can say that I was attended to with drink orders and room cleaning regardless on days that I tipped versus not.

As far as the food I can say that it is definitely not gourmet but is a good deal for the money. It is a true inclusive and not one that has limitations on certain drinks or certain restaurants or certain dishes. You literally don't need to worry about money while you are at the hotel. There were no surprise daily resort fees or any charges whatsoever. I paid for the trip upfront through Orbitz and didn't even have to worry about a deposit put on my card. Truly stress free!
My husband and daughters were very happy with the buffets and the restaurants. There were ample choices and despite what others have written the buffets are not exactly the same everyday, nor exactly the same from lunch to dinner. Some choices are constant and you see daily however, you do see a variation of items from one meal to the next. I am more particular and thought that the food was adequate. I was able to always find some items that I enjoyed however, the food definitely was not gourmet. But I am picky and my husband and daughters were very very happy with the food. I thought the selection and abundance and service with regards to the food was worth the money that you pay for this resort.

The resort does try to provide entertainment for the guests with pool games, a nice variation of different music by the main pool, friendly staff, beach activities and some nightly shows however, it is what it is which is the hotel trying to entertain. If you want more you really need to go out of the resort. The nightly shows were mediocre. There are plenty of places in the resort to lounge with friends/family and have some drinks however, the resort really should provide some music in at least one of these lounge areas for guests who want to have a nice evening at the hotel rather than go to downtown Cancun. I found it way too quiet in the evenings since I wasn't up for hitting Cancun clubs with my daughters in tow. There should be some options for nightly lounging with some more atmosphere and music in the beautiful, balmy and breezy lobby areas. We did take the city bus for ten pesos or $1 U.S.D dollar and went walking around to the downtown area for some more atmosphere. I found it safe and good for souvenir shopping. There is a lively and great restaurant called Mextreme that has dancing waiters that are such fun and mariachi performing with great drinks and food that my family and I thoroughly enjoyed. The cocktails at the resort are on the weaker side but you can tip to get stronger drinks if you'd like. Or can order shots and pour into your drinks to make to your liking. But even so, the pina colada and other frozen mixes were somewhat watery as compared to other resorts I've stayed at in places like Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Jamaica, Florida, etc. The main lobby bar had the best drinks by far.

I found the bus ride to downtown to be only 5 minutes and it was safe however, you may not want to be walking around after 10:30 pm with kids as downtown can get pretty loud and rowdy after that time.... I thought it was a great deal for the money however, I think in the future I'd pay a little more to have a resort with a nighttime music lounge and some more atmosphere in the evenings, wifi service, some soft towels, some lotion and hair conditioner as toiletry amenities are super scarce, less watered down drinks, and stronger air conditioning!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Folkestone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Just returned from a fantastic three week stay at Riu Caribe in Cancun, had a large room on the ninth floor with a fabulous view of the pool and sea, the food was excellent great selection of salads, fish, steak, prawns, crab, sushi the list goes on. We stayed from the 23rd July until the 13th of August, we never had a problem with getting sun beds, I was up at 7am every morning my choice, when I looked over my balcony at the pool area there were probably half a dozen beds with towels on. The beach was lovely and sandy and you could always get a sunbed there.
The staff were very friendly and helpful they work very hard , our room was cleaned every day and the fridge stocked with water, coke ,7 up ,beer and soda, the steakhouse was excellent but can't comment on Mexican or Asian as we didn't go. Great location just a bus ride into Cancun centre where you will find a great shopping mall. Nightlife is excellent if that's what you want. My only advice would be to book your trips before you go as they can be very expensive . Overall we had a fantastic stay with no problems I would definitely recommend this hotel. Cant wait to go back next year.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 985 excellent view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Caribe? Share your experiences!