“ANOTHER GREAT VACATION April 16-23, 2013” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Caribe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Caribe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan, Km 5.5, Lote 6-C | Cancun - Quintana Roo, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Ontrio Canada
“ANOTHER GREAT VACATION April 16-23, 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful week at the Caribe. Weather was perfect the resort is perfect the staff is out of this world. There were three of us me and my two adult daughters. I only stay at Riu's and have since 1999.

The Caribe is really a nice place, the refurbishments only enhance a building that already had good bones.

The colours they have used really compliment the style of that hotel, they marry well together.

The lobby is quite beautiful and open it has a couple of fans but when standing at the desk it gets really warm, they need more fans strategically placed high up to circulate the air.
The marble, tile, I am not sure if it is marble or some other ornate stone but it is original and very beautiful again it fits right in with the decor. The stone tiles on the walls I love.
There are lots of elevators and virtually no wait time the only thing is they should have fans in them it gets hot in them especially when you get 5 or 6 people in them.

The lobby bar is really busy and there is another bar down a few steps sort of where that old bar use to be. At the end is a stage and they have regular performers, singing, instrumental etc. Kind of like a small night club. The BEST was the Elvis impersonator (they had him at the stage next to the lobby) that actually sings, he has back up Vegas type girls and it was so awesome. There were plenty of seating for everyone and it poured out into the actual lobby.
At the Theatre there was a performance of Grease it was really really good. I have seen that show every time I am at a Riu I am a fan since the movie came out, but never seen anything this good,this was a troup from outside and the dancing was excellent I almost forgot they were not actually singing.

The animation team works very hard, around the hotel and pool they work their butts off personally I think they could use a few more just because the hotel is so big and there are so many people that "LIKE THE ATTENTION" so it seems

The theatre is big and dark with a huge bar and again drink service a little slow they could use an extra couple of waiters if they want to keep up the bar service (this was a bonus) (this was an non issue for us)

The buffet itself is all black, grey and silver, so nice. Lots of food to choose from I asked for beets and they went and cooked them for the next day and put a plate full on our table. There were beets everyday after. The desserts seem to be the same as other hotels. They did have coconut ice cream and one I had not had before was the maple walnut but it was kind of a pink colour very tasty.

We had roast beef, roast pork, leg of lamb, even had a roast pork carved for lunch, beef Wellington of course fish. Chicken prepared in numberous ways all of it delicious. No complaints they offered a good variety of everything and the salad bar was always plentiful. The food was good to excellent. The nicest decor was the Mexican Restaurant (because it was all very Mexican) I could have stayed there for hours and it's HUGE.The steak house is the usual and we like it. The baked Alaska was really good. The Asian was as good as well, the same as the Playacar and Tequila.
We ate at the pool restaurant only once and opted to have lunch in the buffet where it is ari condition and has a bit more variety of food. We had the same waiter everyday for breakfast and lunch his name is Antonio and took care of us so well we got spoiled. The assistant manager is quiet I never had a chance to talk to him.

Booking for Specialty restaurants was not a big deal the first day I went down to breakfast I stopped a the podium set up for this booking and there was on person in front of me I was able to book for the next day and the day after. I went back to book third two day later and no one waiting and I was able to book our last dinner. No shows were cronic at all three restaurants, not nice.

Drink SERVICE is everywhere, as soon as I sat down in the main lobby I had a waitress there wanting to get me a drink same as the adjacent bar/lounge area. Drink SERVICE available at the pools and the beach, and at the quiet pool the bar is right there along with tables and chairs and they make the personal pizzas there. I did not expect the drink service that was a nice surprise needless to say I went through a lot of "ones" lol. It was just so convenient.

Our room was on the ninth floor corner the views are to die for it had a huge wrap around balcony. We could see the front street, condos beside us and a panoramic view of the sea. We had two double beds and a cot was brought in. The mattresses were comfortable, there was a night stand between the beds, a dresser with 4 drawers and table with two chairs. The closet was what I call a normal double closet. We could have used a couple more drawers but we managed just fine.

The bathroom is large with a shower area that has a glass block at one end and a see through door, on the side that is next to the bed is a long opaque glass window from ceiling to floor about 20 inches wide, you can see movement in the bathroom area. If you get up in the night and turn the bathroom light on it lights up the whole room (which is already stark white) waking everyone up. I told him if I come again I am bring brown paper and masking tape and will cover the window myself. The room had two double beds and we got a cot brought in. The bureau has 4 drawers, there is a small table and two chairs. One night table between the two beds. The closet is equivalent to our closets at home about 6 feet wide.

The grounds are impecible, lush and beautiful pathways, the pools are large and for the most part easy to get in and out of the "seniors" pool as I call it on the side closest to the Peninsula has to entrances and exits with stairs and a rail like at the Palace.

Yes the towel game was rampant but we never had a problem by the pools or the beach. We were up early every day and we were always happy with our chair location. But really folks how greedy can you be, putting towels on two or four chairs at 8 in the morning and not returning till 2 in the afternoon. Shame on you have you no manners. I can see putting towels on your chair and going and having a breakfast and coming back. Just not acceptable. These resorts really need the "chair police" it would be worth it for a week or two to see the look on these peoples faces when they have to cough up 30 bucks for each towel.

I would recommend this Riu Caribe to everyone as long a walking and stairs don't bother you there was never more than 4 stairs at a time except around the pools. Walking from our elevator we approach a few stairs, then we walk past the lobby to the buffet we do up a few stairs down a few stairs and up a few stairs, heck it helped burn off some of the calories. It is big and the decor is fabulous. I would like to go back but the Riu Palace Mexico is next and I am hoping for the Riu Playacar in October perhaps next year.

As an added note our fan in the room made a stupid noise and we kept saying when we go downstairs we should report it and maybe someone could fix it. We must have been having a very blissful, wonderful, worry free vacation because every evening when we got back to the room we said "we forgot to ask for the fan to be fixed" no worries when we went to bed we shut it off. The room was always cool, not cold just very comfortable.

As a second added note, small problems can happen instead of going around complaining to other guests or anyone that will listen go to the desk and talk to them if it cannot be resolved by them in a short period of time then go to the Director or Sub director. We met one lady that said she had no shower soap in the shower, these units are attached and refilled daily there is also bar soap. She was very agitated and said she had to go to the store and buy her own. I am still scratching my head on that one. If the dispenser was broken or had been pulled off the wall the would have given her a whole big refill bottle. ??? When staying at a Riu THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE. It could have been resolved with ONE CALL TO THE DESK.

All in all a wonderful place for a vacation don't hesitate to book.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Me and my fiancé just returned from Riu Caribe in Cancun. We were there for 1 week. Check in was the simplest we've ever had, took about 5 mins max and in that time we were presented with drinks well we checked in, couldn't ask for better. The room was ready and clean. Was on the first floor which I wasn't a fan of, asked to switch rooms but they didn't. Room did have the king bed we requested. No view, just the front of the hotel but hey we didn't pay for ocean view so expected it. Everything in room worked, flat screen TV, large bathroom and tub.
The hotel has a nice live environment during the day. Pool is always busy and fun. Age group was what we were looking for around 25 to 35. Everyone was super nice and friendly, guests and staff. Hardly any families with kids which was perfect for us. Variety of food but daily was the same every day so got very old quick. We went to lunch most days on the main strip.
Hotel is minutes from main strip but not
walking distance, about 10-15 mins on public bus which we took every time we went, it's cheap and clean and safe and runs literally every two minutes which was amazing.
The hotel night life is really lacking. Nothing to do at hotel after dinner so about 9pm. By midnight the Looby is literally ghost town, you have to go to the strip for nightlife which sucked.
Biggest disappointment was the lack of a disco on site so no nightlife and also the lack of food to eat when buffet closes at 11pm.
Overall a great trip. Hotel would be perfect if it had nightlife, room service and more food variety. A great mix of relaxation and a bit of a party in the day.
Next time we go we're staying at the Riu Cancun as its right in the heart of town and has a disco and more of a party atmosphere we were looking for.

• Stayed April 2013
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

10th april till 24th april 2013
Well where do i start what a hotel flight was long 10hrs very tried on arrival but when we got their we were greeted with reception staff that told us leave our luggage come with me to the lounge area gave us all a welcome drink and checked all travellers in on a bulk greeting of our coach gave us our wrist bands and checked our details then gave us our rm cards we were 3rd floor up on side of hotel but still had a sea view and a lagoon view quite rm big enought for two and comfortable free optic drinks and cold pepsi,lemonade and water in fridge topped up every 2 days
rms cleaned daily to a high standard,Pools clean and comfortable their is an activity pool and a quite pool both nice beach clean and white sands staff amazing friendly and go out their way, espeailly Maya at cocktail bar he knows his stuff. good variety of food no upset tummies! recommend all three food bars Well worth staying at this resort ideal for families or couples.

Room Tip: side rooms are quieter than pool facing rooms and their are views of lagoon and sea
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
bellevue, iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

As RothM64 stated, I was part of the 12 person group that stayed the week of April 10-17. We had a great time, food was very good, service excellent. I had a problem with an international phone card and the people at the desk were exceptionally helpful. I would definitely go back...I could be packed and ready to go in an hour!

Room Tip: Ask for an odd numbered room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
lake geneva, wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Caribe from 2-27-13 thru 3-2-13. Just a short trip to Cancun for a great price. Arrived at the hotel and they could not honor any or our requests for rooms. They were simply too full. The new Riu next door was not nearly as full and probably a lot more expensive. Some people we travelled with from Rockford, IL(but did not know them) were checking in and they were "upgraded" to the new Riu next door because it was so empty. Food was good. The "buffet" was even better than the theme restaurants. Good entertainment each night. We really enjoyed the shows. I would return because everything was good, but the location is too far down so the beach does not reflect the awesome Cancun beach you find closer toward the airport.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Zory, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Wonderful hotel in Cancun, one of the 'top 3' I've ever been. Big, clean rooms with an amazing wiev. Good food, a few good restaurants with very, very good food. A lobby bar with a great service. Nice, private, sandy beach with a good service. I recomend it. Just great!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We just returned from a 7 night stay at the Riu Caribe. It was an awesome experience! The entire resort is amazingly clean. The pools are sparkling. The food was good (for an all inclusive). Check in was smooth. We arrived at 12 and our room wasn't ready but we got our wristband and could eat right away and used the pool for a few hours until it was ready. We got an ocean view jr. suite. It really wasn't a suite but it did have a huge balcony which was nice (they could put better furniture on the big balconies as there was only 2 little plastic chairs and a plastic little table). The view was spectacular. We had a room on the 5th floor right in the middle, which was at the top of the lobby. It was relatively loud at night until about 11:00 but for the nights we wanted to sleep early (which were only 2) we used the radio for "white" noise.
The main pool has a lot of activities during the day for children and adults and the activity people do a wonderful job. If you don't want to participate, go further down or go to the quiet pool. I have seen complaints about the drinks. Ours were great and we tried many different kinds. They use high end liquor (Absolute, Smirnoff, Canadian Mist, etc.) and I saw them take the labels off when they opened a new bottle so they are not putting local liquor into the bottles. Yes, they only have one beer DosXX. The entertainment is good - not great. The Juke Box night was my favorite. We had no issues getting reservations for any of the specialty restaurants and the hotel was booked solid. We didn't even go right away at 7am and we got whatever we wanted.

There were only a few complaints:
1. The pizza restaurant is extremely slow and unorganized. It took us 60 minutes to get a pizza and it wasn't that crowded.
2. Change up the food on the daily buffets. Yes it's good but it does get monotonous after awhile.
3. Don't have a specialty restaurant be a buffet. The Asian food is good but again, it is another buffet. The Mexican restaurant is half buffet as you have to get your own salads, soups and desserts.
4. Riu's always seem to put their bars next to each other so it seems like one big bar. Spread them out a little. Also the Sports Bar is really dull. It would be nice to have a tiki bar outside by the beach rather than all of the bars inside.
5. There is no background music in ANY of the specialty restaurants. It is dead quiet. Some nice soft music would be great.

All of the employees go above and beyond to help and they are EXTREMELY hard working. Fernando, Martin and Sergio at the purple bar were amazing. They all enjoyed working with each other and seemed to be having a wonderful time while taking extra special care of their customers. William and BiBi who supervised were always smiling and helpful. Viscente at the pool bar and Ysrael were awesome. Always smiling and very attentive.

All in all you can't go wrong visiting this resort. We loved it and were sad to leave!

Room Tip: Choose a room above floor 5 if you don't want to hear lobby noise. All of the rooms have a beau...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Caribe? Share your experiences!