This hotel was of the high standard you expect from the Riu chain. Good food, service and generally a high quality environment. But there were a few problems that did spoil our overall holiday enjoyment.
1. Of the rooms we were initially allocated, one had leaking air con (towels were on the floor soaking up the water!) and one had no hot water at all. We were quickly offered other rooms (thanks to the receptionist), but I don't understand why we were allocated faulty rooms in the first place - don't they check them regularly? The last thing you want is to change rooms twice after a 11 hour flight from the UK!
2. The beach is beautiful soft white sand, but crowded with row after row of shoulder to shoulder sunbeds. The hotel has tried to ensure sufficient sunbeds are available for its large number of guests, but the beach is far too small to accommodate them.
3. The entertainment was ok with the team working hard throughout most of the day and evening with various activities and shows. The problem was with some of the guests who had too much to drink and were very loud and annoying to most of the others present. The entertainment team try to handle these situations diplomatically, but it is not pleasant for those not so drunk.
Overall the holiday was good, but I would not return to this hotel. Our previous holiday in Mexico was at the Riu Yucatan in Playa del Carmen. That was a far better experience.
We used to be big fans of all-inclusive holidays, but the level of drunkenness leading to noisy, loutish behaviour seems to be increasing. The problem seems to be worse in Mexico and the Dominican Republic where the guests are mainly from the USA and Canada, although those from the UK and Russia are becoming just as bad.
Maybe we are getting too old for this type of holiday and need to move more up-market away from the noisy youngsters.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Caribe
- Gran Caribe Real Cancun
- Riu Caribe Cancun
- Gran Caribe Real Resort
- Gran Caribe
- Grand Caribe Cancun
- Grand Caribe Real Cancun
- Grand Caribe Real
- Riu Caribe Resort Cancun
- Riu Caribe Cancun Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Cancun's resort area. 9-story building. On the beachfront. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. 3 km. /1.9 miles from a shopping center. 4,5 km/2.5 miles from downtown Cancun. 21 km/13.1 miles to Cancun Int'l. Airport. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Amex, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel, Travelocity and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Riu Caribe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.