“Riu Caribe= LOVE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Caribe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Caribe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Caribe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan, Km 5.5, Lote 6-C | Cancun - Quintana Roo, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #30 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Parma Heights, Ohio
“Riu Caribe= LOVE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at Riu Caribe in May of 2010....just a little late on the review! We had 12 people in our group & we had a blast! Of course people on here are going to pick at every little thing, I am not going to say there were not any isssues but overall our experience was awesome. The entertainment staff was amazing, our rooms were clean & we had the time of our lives!!!! We wanted to stay at Riu Caribe again for our trip in May 2012 but they were closed for renovations, we were disappointed but decided to stick with Riu hotels & stayed at Riu Cancun. (review coming next)!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

4,692 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We just got back after a week at the Riu Caribe. We were very excited after reading all of the great reviews. We also knew that the property had just reopened after extensive renovations to main public areas. The hotel looks great and most importantly clean. Now onto the review:

1. Room

Once we got there we were assigned our room and off we went. The room was on the small side and pretty plain, just blue and white. As we were setting up we noticed our toilet seat was broken and the sheets were stained/dirty in various places.Our fridge also had drinks that were half full which indicated to us that the room had not been thoroughly inspected/cleaned. Probably the most hilarious and rather nasty part was that there was an imprint of someone's private parts on the glass that separates the bathroom from the bedroom. We asked that we be assigned a new room and they obliged the next morning. Our new room had a much better balcony with a magnificent view. We loved the new room although not without its own issues. The shower produced a minuscule amount of warm water and low water pressure. Pressure was great on cold water though. Also, we noticed a really bad smell (sewer like) when we would come in at night. We figured it out finally...it was the AC. We should have moved but by then we really didn't want to pack and unpack all over again for such a short stay.

2. Food

Food was okay. The steak house was our favorite. The buffet was really busy and often times you had to wait for them to refill the food trays. This is both good and bad, as the rest of the food you have on your plate goes cold but then again I'd rather have freshly cooked food anyway. We liked most nights at the buffet except Asian night...Seafood night was awesome!

3. Pool

Tons of kids everywhere. That's great if you are there with them but when your not...cannon balls are not fun. There really was no place to avoid it even though the pool is rather large. People reserve shady pool chairs and palapas early so we had to be sure to get there no later than 8:30. Plenty of chairs though. Daily entertainment at the pool from 10 to 6. Pool closes at 7 but I saw people in the pool until they turned off lights at midnight.

4. Staff was excellent and always pleasant.

5. Beach

Beach was great. Little to no waves. Perfect water temp. Lots of seaweed but that's nature. Staff was there each morning to sweep the beach. They offer snorkelling gear and life vests which is cool.

6. Spa

We had a great massage there. Very reasonably priced. The spa smells so good!!

Overall we enjoyed ourselves and had a relaxing vacation. Not sure if I would return though...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Harford county, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed at the RIU Caribe from July 9-12. I found the staff to be very nice, and the food was very good. All the rooms have been renovated and are very nice. My only complaint is we had issues with the toilet in out room and it was out of comission for most of the day. We found the location to be nice only a short bus ride into town. I would definalty go back to this resort.

St Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

FIRST, DON'T BELIEVE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS, SOME PEOPLE AREN'T HAPPY UNLESS THEY'RE COMPLAINING.

This was our 3rd trip to the Riu Caribe, having stayed in 8 of the other resorts in the Hotel Zone, this has become our favorite. The first thing I noticed this time (previous trips in 2008 and 2009), was the complete renovation of the lobby, first class job too. They moved the bar there from the back room in the lobby, and removed the excessive foliage that made the lobby seem like a jungle. Now it is spacious and open, very inviting to sit and while away the hours with a cool drink. Next, off to the main buffet, the Albatros. Another great example of the complete renovation the resort just underwent. The buffet stations were all the same, but the dining room itself had been brightened up with some great uses of color. It actually looked like a completely different dining room than I had remembered. The food has definitely been upgraded, beef wellington 1 night, beef tenderloin the next, etc. Very nice selections, and prepared perfectly.

I booked 2 Junior Suites(one for me and the wife, the other for the adult children and infant), because I wanted the full ocean view, without the hassle of moving after a few days to get one. They were able to get us rooms on the same floor (6), within a few doors of each other. The Junior Suites only have a larger balcony than other rooms, otherwise, they're exactly the same, but we had to have that beautiful view of the ocean and the pool, or we wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. It's not too bad pricewise, another $125/per person for 7 nights, well worth the price to wake up and drink coffee and watch the sun rise every morning. The rooms have been renovated as well, no tubs anymore, just showers, and large 6' X 3' showers at that, room for 2 if you're so inclined. Nice glass block walls, and my wife told me I had to mention that the shower head can be raised to 7', as it is in our house, to accomodate her 6' height. I also think the air conditioning system has been replaced, as well as ceiling fans upgraded, as our room was always nice and cool. Of Course, flat screen TV's were also installed.

The service we received was impeccable, and I was approached by management at every turn asking if everything was to my satisfaction. At the front Desk, the general Manager told me to let him know if there was anything I needed. At the buffet restaurant, the manager asked me when i entered every time how my stay was, and to let him know if there was anything I needed. He would escort our large party (5 adults and an infant) to a table with a waiter who would then wait on us hand and foot for every possible thing we needed, from a high chair to a sippy cup full of chocolate milk. The service these folks performed was 5 star at a minimum. I will say that I do tip at every meal, because they work so hard, and I generally tipped $5 for breakfast, $5 for Lunch, and $10 for Dinner, for a party of 5. This was not much but they performed such a great service, and were always there to remove empty plates, and get more drinks.

The pool area is unchanged, except they now have tiled lounges in the pool so you can lay on them to tan. They have added, and were adding even more palapas on the beach. It was fantastic to get one of theose every day, and enjoy the beautiful beach. I believe this is the best beach in Cancun, because the waves are only a few inches tall, suitable to put a float in, and never be washed in to shore all day. The kids also enjoyed snorkeling there, and caught several baby octopus, crab, and starfish to show the child.

All in all, probably the best trip to Cancun we've ever had, and we've gone almost every year for the past 12 years. This resort is fantastic for all of the reasons I mentioned above, plust, the price is hard to beat for the value you receive. With the Junior Suite upgrade, Trip Insurance, Air Fare, and Hotel it came to around $1400 each for 7 days. Hard to beat that for what we got.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions regarding anything I didn't mention.

Room Tip: The higher floors offer the best views of the Ocean, so pick floor 4 or higher to get a great view...
Mexico City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I paid for an ocean view room and at my arrival; my surprise was huge since I got a partial ocean view. Of course I complained at the front desk where they told me the room I got was "ocean view" since I could see the ocean from the balcony. Based on what I was told, RIU classifies partial view rooms as ocean view in ALL OF THEIR HOTELS. So basically, you just need to get lucky in order to get a real ocean view room.

Be aware that the manager told me this is on EVERY RIU HOTEL WORLDWIDE. So basically, if you want to stay here or at any RIU and you pay an “ocean view” room, you might not get it, so it’s a coin toss. It is a terrible steal that you get tricked when you make your reservation expecting an ocean view room and it´s not and the worst part definitely is that they lie in your face and make you expend more in an ocean view room that you might not get it.

Overall, food and services were OK at RIU Caribe, it is a very clean and modern looking hotel. Beware of the reservations for the restaurants since they allow people to reserve for “the next day” and not only for the same day like in other RIU hotels, so the chances for you to get a reservation on the same day are none. The staff is also not as friendly as in other locations.

I’ve been on several RIU hotels and this is definitely my worst experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This was my second visit in 3 yrs and I have to say that it's still a fantastic place to stay. The hotel has been renovated. The beach area is superb, with lots of shaded (umbrella's) areas. The pool is also a great spot to hang out at with lots of entertainment. The staff really goes out of the way to make sure that all your needs are met. Alejandro (entertainer) is absolutely wonderful and professional. The food is still amazing and the pizza is out of the world. The beds unfortunately are very small so it you are traveling with teenagers you might have to go with a 2nd room or perhaps request a cot. The gym equipment needs to be replaced.
There is always entertainment at night either in the main bar area or in the theater. The drinks are good and the beer is excellent. My family and I hope to return for a 3rd visit.

Runcorn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have reviewed this hotel before but felt the need to again after seeing so many bad reviews!
Please dont listen to the negatives, this is a lovely hotel with one of the best hotel beaches in cancun!
Staff, rooms, food and everything else was perfect and we had a brilliant holiday! Booked to return in 2013.
Please read my full review by clicking on my name.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the high floors, brilliant view!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Caribe? Share your experiences!