“Terrible Hotel Accountability” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa

You added Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km. 14.5, Retorno San Miguelito, Lote 37, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #55 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oswego, Illinois, United States
“Terrible Hotel Accountability”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed at the Golden Parnassus July 14-20, 2013. This was our first all-inclusive vacation and a bit of a farewell to our 18 year old heading off to college. 24 hours after we arrived our son lacerated his foot while we played the organized basketball game in the pool. The staff rushed to his aide and determined they could not care for it there, and took us to their doctor at the Great Parnassus. He knew right away he couldn't treat it properly and had us taken to the Cancun Hospital ER. We were told before leaving that the hotel would take care of the ER charges and just bring them any receipts. There our son received 6 stitches (8 would have been better) and we were sent off to get antibiotics and pain medicine for further care.

We had to pay the ER before being treated, but did so since we expected to be reimbursed. When we returned we presented the receipts to Maru and Oscar. They told us they would turn it into the hotel's insurance company and reimburse us for all bills. Our son could not get his foot wet again until 5 days later, our last day there. Not much fun for a tropical vacation. Each day we asked the progress of the insurance claim and never got a straight answer from Maru or Oscar. While hanging around the pool that week we heard our son was not the only one to get cut in the pool, as referenced by an earlier review on this site.

Outside of this incident, we thought the staff was very nice and the food and drinks good. We would have recommended the Golden Parnassus to others or considered coming back. Even as we left the hotel another manager, Angel, assured us their insurance company would be contacting us to take care of this. Nothing. E-mails to Maru were answered with empty assurances. Again we never heard back. Promises were made and not followed up on. No one expects to have a medical emergency on vacation, but we would warn you to make sure you have a good credit card when coming here in case something serious happens. We would never return because there is no accountability at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

As we were checking out from our one-week stay at the GP, the desk person told us that a phone call was charged to our room and we owed the GP $2.00. We said that we did not make a phone call. She said nevertheless, you have to pay the money. She called the number at our request to see who it was to and it was to a local eyeglass store in a mall. We said we did not make that phone call and we would like to speak to the manager. She said no manager was available and that we owed the money. Then we were surrounded by four men, preventing us from leaving the hotel. A woman finally arrived who said she was an assistant manager, who said we could leave.
They knew we had been nice guests, friendly and courteous to all, offering tips to many staff. The abrupt change in attitude toward us, in effect calling us liars and threatening us, was very disturbing. We would never return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Lagoon view on floor 5 very pleasant.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Parnassus2011, Chief Concierge at Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa.
We are really ashamed to reading this issue you experienced in the Resort. This is not the attitude we promote or encourage at all within our staff. Please accept our deepest apologies for this uncomfortable moment at your check out.
We will be grateful if we had the opportunity to welcome you back to the Golden Parnassus and this time from beginning to end provide you the best Golden experience.

Dora, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Golden Parnassus, was great OCT 2012 was my first and now I;m planing on returning very soon, Staff was great, Room was clean, cool, and comfy, Jet-Tube was great, for was good to me and wifey, no reservations at restaurants, always a seat, Bartenders hands down THE GREATEST, you will spend the day laughing, Tequila WATER VOLLEY BALL find out about it, entertainment staff was fun and really new the night life "went out to the clubs 4 times"
great place great people and look forward to be back soon!!!
PS.. TAKE THE BUS EVERY WHERE , EXCEPT WHEN COMING HOME FROM THE CLUB, just easier in a cab tipsy then on a bus....
cigar man in lobby is the best everything is authentic great prices, front desk always had a smile!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa, we really appreciate you to share with us your feedback.
All of our guests truly enjoy the personalized service provided by our staff, as we appreciate your kind comments and acknowledgement for our hard work for you to spend a pleasant vacation.
We are looking forward to welcome you back home.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Here for a second time and just as good if not better than the first just 6 months ago. Thank you GP for keeping it awesome!!! The service the food the beach.... Everything is #1!!! We had supper at MOCAMBOS one night because we felt like stepping out... Wow what an experience!!! On the waterfront and delicious food and drinks. Thanks to Maru for the recommendation :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

It has been a true pleasure for us to welcome you back home! We are so glad to know that this second experience could exceed your expectations even when it was a high one.
We are looking forward for your third stay and more to come at the Golden Parnassus.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Golden Parnassus is a great place to relax. It's a small resort with wonderful service. The rooms are clean and nice. They don't have refrigerators and coffeemakers in the rooms (even I requested such willing to pay extra) but that isn't a problem as there is 24 hours service there. The pool is clean and not overcrowded. The staff is very polite. The food is delicious. Personally I liked Shangri La and Old Barn. Don't forget that you have access to Great Parnassus Resort. There is a shuttle bus there. There are more than ten restaurants there. Plus absolutely beautiful pools, Jacuzzi and spa. Night entertainment is ok and almost the same in both resorts
Golden Parnassus is located very close to the center of the City, so we spent a lot of time there as well. I would like to recommend Coco Bongo night club. There is an amazing and unforgettable show there.
To conclude, I love this resort and my vacations there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Golden Paransssus Resort & Spa, all of your feedback is greatly appreciated.
At dinner time, we have available a la carte restaurants featuring specialty Cuisines. Definetely Shangri La is one of our guests favorites due to its romantic and sophisticated atmosphere with an International Cuisine menu to cater every taste.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you at the Golden Parnassus for you to spend another lovely vacations in our Resort.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Just returned from my fifth time at this resort. The service is wonderful! All the staff is very polite and helpful. Our waiters, Oscar, Pascual, Gamaliel, Samuel, Jesus and others (can't remember names) were all outstanding and professional. Edith the bar waitress is charming. Pedro made the omlets and always had a smile. The hotel is exceptionally clean everywhere. I like this resort as it is smaller and the employees get to know you. it is not luxurious but very nice. The food is excellent and plenty of it. I agree with the other review, the potatoes at the Barn are the best. I found this to be the best food in Cancun. The beach is absolutely beautiful. So, give this resort a try... you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Parnassus2011, Chief Concierge at Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing once again the Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa, it has been our pleasure to welcome you back home!
Being a small resort and having a lot of repetitive customers it’s easy to have a friendly and home feeling like atmosphere that most of our guests enjoy during their stay.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you back home for another outstanding vacation at the Golden Parnassus.

Pocono Manor, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa Resort 9-16 – 9-26
The Golden as most have said is a smaller resort which is very conducive to making new friends. The hotel itself is laid out in such a way that everything that you need is a within a few steps.

We typically stay at higher end all inclusives, but the comments on trip advisor swayed me to give this smaller hotel a shot and try something different. Most hotels I have stayed at are a bit remote and I find it confining after a bit. This trip was for a period of two weeks with a side trip to the Privilege Aluxes on Isla Mujeres, so wanted to be where I could venture out and try different things without having to constantly arrange and pay for transportation.

The rooms are fine for what you pay, it is not the Ritz but it is not a super 8 either. Yes a fridge in every room would be amazing and I would think more economical for the hotel as I think I cleaned out the ice machine a dozen times keeping my water and purchased beer cold in my lined waste basket for two weeks…not a classy touch. The hotel itself is a well laid out, comfortable, very clean hotel with an incredible and hard working staff, and fun, unpretentious guests. Our housekeeper for room 519 was simply put…Amazing, We wrote notes to each other every day and there was no communication issues, everything was provided that was requested and loved her towel art. Room was cleaned every morning as soon as I hung out the sign. Our first room 239, not so good, but next night moved to 5th floor lagoon, thanks Maru. Personally I like the lagoon, as most times when it rains it comes in from the ocean so you cannot go out on the balcony ocean side due to wind and rain on the lagoon side you can, and you are not woken up by the sunlight, but the mornings and evening are shaded and comfortable and we could see the ocean everyday so for us it was a win win. The night lights around the lagoon looking towards Cancun were spectacular. Liked also having two queen (full?) beds as since the beds are typically short, we both had our own bed and could sleep diagonally. If we had a King not sure how that would have worked out, one of us would have been hanging onto the edge.LOL…not me.

The restaurants were all good, the Shangri la was so amazing I send the waiter back to compliment the chef on the Golden Parnassus Shrimp, loved the new presentation of this old classic. The second time I ate there they were out of beef medallions and the food was not as good…the Golden shrimp and crème burlee was still fantastic though. Pier one for lunch had a great menu and nice salad bar. The Old Barn…..love love love the potatoes. I am not sure what kind of potatoes the restaurants use but every kind was so good, didn’t need butter or sour cream or even salt they were so sweet just the way they were. My fiancé loved getting the lasagna from the buffet and then having the chef in the Italian station heat up some meat sauce to spoon over it. Breezes was good for a late night…well late for us would be 11pm burger. Sumo was good the grilled salmon was done to perfection and the service in this restaurant as in others was beyond reproach, our server here was my favorite.

Drinks could have been better, they are watered down. I drank bar Absolut in martinis and you can tell. But if they were strong nobody would have been able to go to dinner much less make a show as everyone would be sleeping. But on days when I wanted a bit more “punch” in mine I would add my own Bacardi or Absolut. I would order a virgin Mango Tango or whatever I was drinking and put in my own rum or Vodka that I transferred to a water bottle and had at my sun lounger…yum, yum, yum. (Put in water bottle cause I didn’t want to bring glass to pool)…PS I bought the alcohol at the duty free store when I arrived, but it is cheaper to buy it at Wal-Mart…LOL. I don’t even go to Wal-Mart at home, but did in Cancun.

Ventured out a few times, R1 down, R2 back. Note if you forget to pack your mugs and do not want to spend $22.50 US for a mug in the gift shop ($45 for 2 pretax), walk outside hop on the R1 and go to Wal-Mart they have them for $4.50 us. Plus you get to tour up and down the Cancun strip for 10 pesos, or $1US. Can’t beat that, should have bought 10 and gave them away..lol. Rode the R2 to Aquaworld for a run on the TWISTER..Best fun I ever had and a great price at $66 for two people, walked back to hotel as it is only a short two blocks. Walking and the Bus is perfectly safe!!. Better bus system then we have at home…just sit down quickly! Took R1 to Isla, great island..but beware…..if you go to Isla make sure you only buy tickets for the Ultramar…not Mexicano (SEE PIC)…slow, slow, slow boat. If you go out of Playa Tortugas look for the big bungee jump and go there for tickets, do not fall trap to people trying to lure you to Isla Ferry, Mexicana IV or VII boats…big mistake I made. Took over an hour and horrible boat and personnel. We bought round trip tickets and threw out the return ticket and took the Ultramar back.

Entertainment staff was good, loved the new Movies presentation. Carla is a nice addition to the group and we will miss David when he returns to Canada. Did find that some (not all) were a bit pushy and condescending when you say you do not want to participate.

The best part of the hotel again is the staff and the cliental. The staff was always helpful and friendly and the cliental, well now I know why people go back; good, honest, fun, people. We made so many new friends, more than any other trip we have ever taken. Big shout out to new friends Cher, Dave, Erin and company, Warren and Amy (IL) and Donna and Steve (UK). Donna I lost your email address. , Amy will send u pics. . Everyone we met was friendly and again unpretentious, nice change from some of the higher end resorts. Miss being there and hanging with my friends.

Room Tip: Higher lagoon side, quieter, beautiful at night with the lights, and better chance to get higher flo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Parnassus2011, Chief Concierge at Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa, we also appreciate you to share with us such a detailed review about your experience in our Resort.
We are glad to know that you truly enjoyed of a fun and relaxing stay, interacting with other guests whom already became friends. This is a unique vibe that its lived at the Golden Parnassus, guests and staff are like family and we have loyal guests coming back year after year to the Resort due to our personalized and excellent service provided.
It will our pleasure to welcome you back at your home in Cancun.

Maru Reyes

Been to Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!