“Pretty Good for a budget priced resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa

You added Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km. 14.5, Retorno San Miguelito, Lote 37, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #52 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Fort Worth, TX
“Pretty Good for a budget priced resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed July 12 – 15 and found the Golden Parnassus to be just fine for the money we paid. I was a little worried that it was “adults only” and some freaky stuff would be going on (haha)… but really it was just a nice calm environment with no kids running and splashing in the pool… and nothing weird – at least in public – was going on.

The Good –
The beach was awesome – clean, white sands, plenty of chairs, wait staff coming by to bring you drinks
The pool – again plenty of seating. There was a nice older man who would set up an umbrella for you if you were without one – he had to be the hardest working guy on staff!
The restaurants - Shangri-La and The Old Barn were yummy – we ate at one of these places every night and everything we had was great!
Breakfast – hard to screw up eggs, bacon and French toast, right?

The Bad –
All the other food. Im pretty picky, so lunch/snacks were hard for me. Everything just tasted off…
The check-in was weird – you hop out of the shuttle, they take your bags and place them in a big group and instead of going to the desk, they take you to the lobby and set you down. They bring you a juice and then you wait for someone to come over and give you instructions/wrist bands. It just seemed a little awkward. We weren’t able to check in until 3, so we ate and walked around some. Note – when they say 3 they mean it, we were super-hot and bored of walking around in our clothes, so we tried to check in at 2:30 – no way, they weren’t having it. So we sat near the desk and waited until 3. Seemed silly.
The nightly shows – sorry – they were just bad.

The OK –
The rooms – ours was clean, but nothing fancy. We paid for a lagoon facing room (cheaper) and had asked for a higher floor, because we heard of noise issues on the lower floor. When we checked in we were given the 2nd floor, but ocean facing, so I guess I can’t complain too much. There was a constant noise all night long – dripping from the air-conditioner maybe? And hard to regulate temp – too warm all day and froze our butts off at night.
The drinks werent topshelf, they were what you'd expect at a budget resort, but they were free flowing, so you always had a cold beverage in the hot sun.

Extra Info –
Cost about $13 to pull money out of the ATM, so I would avoid it if at all possible.
Airport transportation is crazy – we paid $32 for a shuttle that took about 45 mins to even get moving, then made several stops. On the way back we took a private cab back to the airport and paid what?: $30. Not sure why you can’t take a private cab from the airport – maybe you can, it was just chaotic.
Used the expedia desk at the hotel to book a day trip to Chichen Itza. It was $110/each – lasted from 7a – 7p. Long drive in a bus, but the ruins were interesting, and the other stops were good too. Glad we did it.

Room Tip: Ocean facing, higher floor
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed there July 15-20. We are still laughing about all the 'you had to be there' moments we had. First, let me say that we booked through Olympus, probably won't do that again. You get vouchers for taxis, room, etc., but the Olympus travel people (Orange Shirts) would not put us in a cab until we agreed to listen to a presentation (eventhough we had prepaid vouchers!) Then, they said we would not get a return taxi through them because we declined the presentation offer. Anyhow, we called our travel agent and that was fixed ASAP! Next, the airline lost our luggage so we just wanted to get to the room. Again, with the presentation offers! I think that's where people get turned off because after you have flown all day you don't want sales people trying to get in your pockets repeatedly! They sit you in the lobby at check in with a drink and just let these sales reps have their turn one by one until you're ready to scream (we almost did). Once they are sure you had your fill then they show you your room. I think it would be that way at any hotel honestly. Most offer time share options.
Now the fun part....the grounds are clean(Jacuzzi in the room with bottle of wine and fresh fruit and flowers), the hotel is clean, the staff speaks good english, and they really go out of their way to help you. It is not a modern resort, but it's not dated either. We sat on our balcony and watched the sunset and had partial ocean view (Rm 617).Don't be discouraged that there is not a swim up bar-the servers will walk across water to bring you a drink, for real. On the beach servers brought us drinks, in the pool servers brought us drinks, hammocks, room, you name it they were there :) Fin's Up is AWESOME! Miguel in the lobby makes THE best drinks! Room Service is included 24/7 and it is fast, right, and good. I listened to some advise and we had about $100 in singles to tip and boy, it made a difference. They are great already and excellent with a lil sumn extra.
The Entertainment Team was great too. Alejandra (takes you to the night clubs) was a BOSS:) She got things done. About 3,000 people in the clubs and she ushered us right on through to our VIP table with bottles, bottles, bottles and made sure everyone was happy. Alberto was so nice! He got my husband and I some bicycles so we could tour the city, I mean really went the extra mile (I had thought bicycles were included, but they're not, but he made sure we got to do what we wanted). Going to Breeze for Burgers and stuff at 4am after a night of partying was a bonus, just as good as it was at noon and grilled right in on the front of you.
Some advise: 1. When booking excursions, just go with whomever is the cheapest. They all leave from the same area no matter what. Take the bus to AquaMarine World for water excursions!!! It's a $10 cab ride and 50cents on the bus, it's like a mile away. When you get to the main road, cross the street to opposite way (west, left). It's on the right hand side.
Make sure you do some EXCURSIONS! Cancun is more than a party town, there are some incredible things to see out there. Pyramids, Coral Reef, Caves, etc...
2. Take tipping money! Outside of the resort they will always say they don't have change for whatever you give them and won't give it back.
3. Have Fun! You're not at home, so don't expect everything! Enjoy being with whom your with and enjoy laying on the beach all day and eating fantastic steaks in the Old Barn all night:)
4. Participate in the resort activities and shows! Hilarious
5. Don't know how many times I can say take the bus. Every bus goes past Golden Parnassus. After clubbing look for the Ritz Carlton, we are right next to it. Learn some key phrases in Spanish too. They appreciate it. Can't wait til next time:)

Room Tip: Go higher up if possible. Our room was quiet and we were on the 6th floor. Had great views
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Parnassus2011, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this fantastic review and sharing with other travelers. I am very happy we were able to exceed your expectation and offer you an amazing vacation. We always pride ourselves on personal, high-quality service for all our guests.

We will congratulate Miguel , Alejandra & all entertainment Team for their excellent service and well job done.

we are looking forward to welcome you again in Golden Parnassus

Hoteles Parnassus
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My trip was June 20th thru June 23rd, I have to start off saying that I’ve been to a few All-inclusive resorts in Riviera Maya and Puerto Vallarta and The Golden Parnassus was everything we expected and more. I called a day before we arrived and asked if we could get a room on the 5th or 6th floor cause I had read that it could get a little loud on the lower floors, they said that they would put the request in but that they couldn’t guarantee anything, well we arrive and we’re on the 6th floor and upgraded to a suite with a Jacuzzi tub and the room looks great, it’s nothing fancy but it was clean and perfect for the weekend we’d be there. We like nice things but we’re also not super picky, good service is number 1 to us and the Golden Parnassus definitely delivered! It’s not a huge resort but it’s not small by an means, it has 4 restaurants that have very good food, in The Old Barn you definitely want to order the beef soup and the Filet Mingon, my boyfriend had the NY Steak and wasn’t much of a fan. The Shangria-la (which is the one you have to dress up for) is gorgeous and the food is very good. From the shrimp to the Duck, the ambiance was beautiful and Regal. The Sushi Restaurant was yummy and honestly a little unexpected, I love sushi and didn’t think they were gonna be up to par. The banana sushi roll and the Japanese spring rolls were to die for. Pier 12 was surprisingly good, I had heard a few bad reviews on it but I say go for it and try all the restaurants. They should’ve had more of a seafood selection but their calamari was good but it’s not fried and their seafood soup is amazing!!!! There’s on big pool, where they have all their fun activities but there’s enough room to hang out in the pool if ur not interested in the games. I also remember someone complaining about there not being enough umbrella’s for shade by the pool and that’s not true, there’s an older man that you can ask to put an umbrella up were ur seats are at and he’s happy to do it. I do recommend to tip, it’s not mandatory but the people at the resort work very hard and a dollar or two can go a long way. My boyfriend brought $40 in singles for a long weekend from Friday to Monday and it was more than enough. I also remember hearing that the liquor was watered down, not our experience at all. Miguel the bartender at the Beer Garden in the lobby is awesome, very personable and is super generous with the alcohol, no problems there. I do recommend to bring bigger cups with you, the cups are definitely small so, you’ll be returning to refill ur drink often… The buffet was good, for breakfast, definitely order your eggs the way you want them and the French toast is awesome. My boyfriend and I loved this resort and will be returning soon, we made friends that said the same thing and hopefully we’ll be seeing our Atlanta friends soon. Btw, the beach is impeccable, the water is amazing and the white sand is beautiful, the waves are definitely strong this time of year but we had a blast!!! We also had a couples massage which was amazing and super relaxing, I wouldnt recommend to get it outside cause it’s near the bar in the pool area and it can get a lil loud, we switched ours to the spa indoor and it was great! Maru was my Massage therapist and she knew exactly what she was doing… The staff is great and makes sure ur having a good time, love love love this place and you will too!!!

Room Tip: Call and request a room on the 5th or 6th floor, you'll be surprised when you get there!!!
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our most sincere gratitude for your positive comments about our Resort. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our services and facilities.

We sincerely thank you for choosing us as your vacation destination; we are looking forward to welcome you again in your home away from home

Best Regards,
Hoteles Parnassus
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We are fairly experienced travelers- staying at all inclusives about twice a year. We arrived at the Golden Parnassus on 7/22 for a 9 days stay for our 5 year honeymoon. It was so bad we left 1 hour after checking in and moved to another hotel.
From our arrival nothing aboput the GP appealed to us- the unpleasent check-in begun our experience. The necessary wrist bands to stay there and towel card were really low class. Our guest service rep then offered to show us around- which she didn't at all, she just gave us a hard-sell for the time shares on their sister property. Nothing is more unappealing then thinly veiled lies and deceptive staff to tell us this was not the resort for us- these people were going to take care of us and make our stay enjoyable?? The room was small, basic, had bugs in the bathroom, multiple stains everywhere, and 2 double beds- after I called twice and sent repeated emails stating how important it was I get the king bed I reserved and pre-paid for. The front desk were fairly rude and unresponsive to changing our room to what we had paid for. A tour of the grounds was the final straw, the entire inside of the hotel is all about sales, with unappealing shops and outside sales reps everywhere, murky, murky pool, and the property much smaller than we expected- the photos on travel sites sure don't look like what I saw. On the plus side, they did let us cancel our reservation and get a refund. This would probably be a ok place for anyone that hasnt stayed at a nicer all inclusive, but anyone that has stayed at, for example, Excellence or Valentin will be greatly disappointed. I also must state i did not try the food or participate in any activities so I cannot comment on that.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay at Great Parnassus. We are concerned to know that we did not completely fulfill your expectations and we deeply regret the inconveniences you encountered. I would like to share with you that your observations had been reviewed by Room Division Manager, Club Parnassus, Housekepping manager as well.

This is a perfect opportunity for us to learn and use these incidents as teachable moments.

Once again thank you for your comments.

South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I went to GP end of March 2012. I thought everything was wonderful. We have been on nine ac vacations. This resort was the smallest, but fantastic. The food, drinks and service was awesom. We had a ocean view room and it was beautiful. The room was always clean, and if you tipped the maids, they made cute things out of your towels and left fresh flower pedals. I have no complaints and would stay again. We went during spring break and there we no spring breakers. If there was some, they behaved. Room service for food is very limted early in morining if ur leaving early to go to airport. But there was something to snack on and coffee. All the resturants were good. At the fancy one, men must wear long pants and closed toe shoes. Tennis shoe are ok. We liked that this resort was adults only. We went to it's sister hotel. That one is also nice but lots of childen, since it is family. What we also loved was we always found chairs by ocean or pool. We never had to go down early in morning to save one. The sunrise is great to see right from your balcony, but u have to be a early bird which I am not. No coffee maker, but I just oreded it room service if I didnt want to leave room for a while. My husband I both enjoyed our selves. Most of the excurtions do not have tranportation, but u can catch a bus right by the resort and they are cheap and safe!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our most sincere gratitude for your positive comments about our Resort. We are pleased to hear that you and Your husband enjoyed our services and facilities.

We sincerely thank you for choosing us as your vacation destination, we are looking forward to welcome you again in your home away from home.

Best Regards,

Parnassus Hotels,
Hillsboro, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

My husband and I love this resort and will only stay here when travelling to Cancun. The staff are friendly and helpful. The first time we came I got very sick with a kidney infection and the staff went out of their way to get me help. The doctor came right to our room.The location is perfect. Our room both times have been beautiful , well stocked and with a gorgeous view. This is a great place to go if your wanting fun and is even a great place to just relax and unwind.The only thing they don't have that I wish they would is a swim up bar. The pools are nice , beach is beautiful and the weather is superb. We have travelled to the Dominican before and it was horrible compared to Cancun. Go here and I promise it will be a good trip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I went to the Golden Parnassus for the second time in 7 years from 7/7 'til 7/12. The first time I went was with my girlfriend Diane and this time for my 4 year wedding anniversary with.... Guess who???.. Yes Diane. We met up with our best friends Tone aka Bobby 2 and Tre from St. louis ,who were also celebrating a wedding anniversary, as we all met in Jamaica in 08 and were each others best mans and maid of honors. So where do I begin: okay

Front desk: Thanks for the anniversary cake. You rock
Bartenders the best: Tiki Bar Lobby Bar and Dolphin Bar .Guilleremo's - Mexican Viagra ..ouch
Entertainment staff is fantastic: Carlos, Oscar, Margarita and Sarah the best!!
Food Awesome. Red Barn Steak house... .AHHHHHHHH!!! New York Rib Eye Steak.
Sixty Bar.....What can I say Jenga UP!!!! Dance till you sweat to death!!!!!!

Now.. the AWESOME part ..Lunch time Booze Cruise with all my "BOBBY Friends". This was the best trip. We had great time with good food, music, dancing and yes great drinks!!! Served by yours truly.... Bobby!. Thanks Bobby from Brazil, Bobby from Dallas and Bobby 3...

Trip to the Isla Mujeras the bomb... Make sure you rent a Golf cart see the island. For the first part of trip. Tour the whole island and see the culture. You'll have a blast. For the second part, you will go shopping.. wear sneakers very pushy sales people so get ready. Order your trip by the pool you'll have a great time with boat staff from Aqua World.

I'll end this review with a big THANKS to all of the staff from the Golden Parnassus as well as all the guests that made us have a great fun time while there.... Definitly will return for my third trip some year!!!! Eddie aka Bobby 1

Room Tip: Go for the Club Suites...6th floor. Jacuzzi and fridge..
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Parnassus2011, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Eddie aka,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review . It is always pleasant to hear that we got it right, so thank you for your wonderful comments. The hotel is beautiful and the staff does do a wonderful job, I will be passing your review on to our entire team.

We do hope we have the opportunity to service you again.

Parnassus Resorts

Been to Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!