“I loved this place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa

You added Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km. 14.5, Retorno San Miguelito, Lote 37, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #53 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Certificate of Excellence 2014
milwaukee, wi
“I loved this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2003

We stayed at the Golden Crown Paradise May 20th-25th and had a wonderful time. It was supposed to be the rainy season, but we had great weather every day.

We like the fact that it was adults only. It was a little quiet, but it was perfect for couples. If you want more action, you can just go downtown. The bus is really cheap and safe. We really like the tiki bar at the hotel and Jose the bartender. The food at Shangrila was very tasty. Some people complained of small portions, but you can just order more if you like. Others complained about the "weak drinks, " but you can order an extra shot each time to combat this.

Every staff member from front desk to food service was more than accomodating and friendly to us.

The room was beautiful. We had an ocean-view room with balcony and a hot tub. The bed was a little hard, but everything else about the room was great. The housekeepers did a great job with maintaing the room daily. Each day our bed was made a different way and often had fresh flowers strewn about.

The beach at the Golden Crown was fabulous. The pool area was wonderful.

Sure the place had a few problems, but nothing that bothered us too much. The lobby did have a little mustiness to it, but that's to be expected in a humid environment. All in all I give it the thumbs up. I would definitely stay there again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2003

First time to Cancun and what a wonderful time we had, despite the three days of rain and my wife's bout with "Montezuma's Revenge" for a couple of days. Strongly recommend the bottled water in the gift shop. We had an ocean view room with a balcony and I would highly recommend asking for the balcony...spectacular view and privacy to boot. Our room had a good deal of water seep in through the door seal from all the rain, but from what we could tell from getting out and about in Cancun, just about every place had the same problem, including the mall down the road. Lots of buckets everywhere in public places. As for the food, for the most part, it was pretty good. Small portions at Pier 21, but no problem in ordering two of something or two or more of other items. We couldn't go to the ShangriLa restaurant as we were originally told we needed long pants and closed-toe shoes...who has either in Cancun? :-) We were told later by Ellen, the hotel's PR person, we would have been just fine. Drinks were a bit watered down and the bar staff took their time to get around to you unless you threw down a few bucks as a tip with your first drink...then they remembered you. Highly recommend the couples massage...$90 for a good hour...and that covers both of you. It was great staying in a place where there were no children. We love ours dearly but sometimes, couples need to get away and not feel as though you may be embarrassing kids or families with kids by sharing a kiss or two with your wife in the pool. The one thing I would recommend is that the hotel have a unisex hottub. The men's and women's locker rooms were identical...hot tub, sauna, steam room...but they need to knock down the wall between the two. As for one thing that was out of the hotel's control, I wouldn't recommend the "Jungle Tour." The tour consisted of zipping through a "jungle" on your way out of the lagoon and into the caribbean for you to do 30 minutes of snorkeling. Not worth the $40 each, but if you do it, don't blink or you'll miss the jungle. We tried to do the Isle of Mujeres, but mother nature had other plans in store. We heard it was well worth it. We never made it to the sister hotel, but were enticed to do so with a couple of t-shirts. We passed. One other thing you'll find is that one of the gift shops at the hotel truly does have better pricing on items than the flea market (as the sign in their window states). All in all, we had a wonderful time. Hats off to Ellen and Arturo the inside bartender. We certainly were made to feel at home and would highly recommend the Golden Crown Paradise.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2003

My boyfriend and I just returned on June 25th, 2003.....this hotel was great! First of all when you check in they sit you down and the front desk personnel comes to you with the key and the papers meanwhile they bring you a welcome drink.... this was just the beginning (and to me first impressions mean a lot). The food was great at the buffet and pier 12.... we enjoyed it so much at the two places we never made it to Shangri la.... the service was out of this world, everyone there bent over backwards for the guests (something we would never see in the states). It may have helped since we tipped a few dollars every meal but it was well deserved. These guys make 85 dollars every fifteen days the way I see it is a few dollars wont break me.... so please keep that in mind and give the employees what they deserve (a few dollars and respect).... Ive stayed at many hotels in Cancun and this one I have to say was the best by far...for one it is adults only, the service is great, the food is good, and it is particularly small so you actually mingle with people all over the world...everyone there was extremely nice and the view is beautiful...the mattresses are hard and uncomfortable but its a hotel what do you expect? I think many people writing these reviews expect way too much.....we are not in the states, Mexico is very different (food, culture, activities, etc) so for Mexico I would have to say this hotel is definitely a six star and if your thinking about Puerto Valletta the crown paradise there is awesome also....feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions about this hotel...... =)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2003

We stayed from June 2, to the 9th, 2003. We

loved that, they sat us down for check in and gave

us a welcome drink made of orange, pineapple,

creme de coco, and rum, and ice. It is delicious!!

We were treated very well. And had a ball with the

entertainment/activities staff!!! Alfredo, Sergio,

Jenny, Lisa, and that HOT TAMALE CARLITOS!!!!!!!!

We had all days full of sun and heat. I woke early

half of our days, to watch the sunrise, and walk the

beach. The pool maintenance man and I would talk

sometimes; and the little, old man, who maintains

the deck would set up, my pool umbrella, while we

exchanged good mornings. He would also, fix it

throughout the day, for me. My husband likes

some shade, and I would have his chair ready. We

loved the beach palapas, and chairs, and tables

there too. The size of this resort was perfect. We

have stayed at mega-resorts before, and get tired

of all the walking, to get from point A to point B.

Not the case here. Everything took less than 5

minutes for us to get too. This was important. My

husband had some injuries, and is still on the

mend. I don't like being cooped up, walking

forever, at a resort, to get from the room to the

restaurants, pool, beach, etc. We did not have any

bad food at this resort. We did not get sick, from

anything. We had great to excellent foods here.

If you want more of anything, they will give it to

you. In the Pier 12 a la carte, and the Shangri La,

if there is anything more you need, just ask. We

had filet mignon, and shrimp skewers, at the Pier

12, for dinner. My husband had other cuts of

steaks there, as well. They were all good. Which

was surprising, because, normally Mexico is not

known, for thick cuts of steaks. Usually it's thin.

Pier 12 is all done in blue tiles, with a salad bar

and open grill. Them is nautical, from the wait

staff's clothing, table tops of anchors/ships,

to little anchors that hang from the bread

baskets. Set up with a small bar at the entrance,

I absolutely love the blue tiled kitchen and the

open grill concept!! We had delicious, coconut

shrimp, and shrimp tempura for lunch; that had

their own sauces, served over a bed of rice. I

think it is so cute, how

they take a melon baller, and make the carrots,

zucchinis, and potatoes, into little vegetables on the

plates. I had delicious grouper, squid, and oysters

rockefeller for lunch. All this is at the Pier 12. At

nite, they Pier 12 has chicken wings, chicken

fingers, ribs, more steaks, and fish for dinner. The

Paradise Snack Shop, is by the pool. They always

have chicken nuggets, chicken wings, and fries.

They will grill up hamburgers, and have a menu of

different sandwiches. I would say; a choice of 8

different sandwiches are offered--from Hawaiian to

Veggie, to Submarine etc. This is closed for a few

hours a day. Late nite, snacks are available.

Room service for late nite snacks, is served from

here. The Paradise Buffet, has many things to

offer. I had mangoes. Not the red kind from the

states, but the yellow, mexican kind. They are

delicious!! Lazaro, and some of the other wait staff

would get me liquados, for breakfast. I had the

orange/pineapple, with water and ice. You could

also get them with milk; but I never did. It's really

nice how they have the self serve drinks set up

here. They have pitchers of water, juices, milk,

sitting on ice, as you walk into the Paradise. They

have the soda fountain-self serve. And the wines,

are in mini-kegs, red and white. Red wine,

reminded me of a merlot--white reminded me of

a less fruity and little bit wet on the tongue variety.

The room service breakfasts come from this

Paradise buffet. They have everything. Some

small things in a steam table, like chilaquiles,

refried beans, bacon, sausages, etc. They have

chefs to prepare the eggs, omelettes, scrambled

eggs, french toast, pancakes, quesadillas, etc.

All cold stuff, was either on ice, refrigerated; all hot

was either on the steam table in small trays and

fresh, or made to order. There was toast and

cereal, and sweet breads available covered up.

They gave me buffet line to table service. I am

half mexican and took years of Spanish, and enjoy

conversation in Español, when I have the

opportunity. For lunch and dinner; the

Paradise Buffet, had made to order sandwiches

different cheese balls, sushis, made to order

fajitas--chicken and beef. They also had a

variety of pizzas, pastas, cheeses, cold cuts,

salads; all in refrigeration. Fruits were so good!!

I wish that I could have a mango right now, as

I'm writing this. The things I liked about the

restaurants is that the smoking and non-smoking,

are completely separate areas. The smoking area

is outside at the Pier 12, separated by glass at the

Paradise Buffet with open windows, and only at

the reception area--low level by the doors--in the

Shangri La. I never saw anyone use the 2 little

tables at the Shangri La, to light up. The Shangri

La menu changes nightly. Overlooking the ocean,

with neutral, tones. Their comfortable, weaved

high back chairs, sort of yellow and blue tones,

ceiling made of a dove grey cirus tent like fabric,

hanging shrimp light fixtures, sun/moon light fixture

man playing soft tones on his organ; make this a

true, relaxing, dining pleasure. It even has a small

dance floor, if you feel so inclined to get up and

dance to the soft music, during your dinner

courses. Everything was very relaxing. There I

loved the shrimp, and lobster and scallops, and

tornadoes of beef. Good shimp, caesars salads.

Gold charger plates, creme colored china , with

gold trim, salt/pepper, cremer sugar holder and

accessories, are also a very nice touch to the allure

making a beautifully set table!! Service was very

nice there too. You could get extra, if there was

not enough of each serving. We got extra seafood

like lobster and scallops, on some of the courses.

We felt that the desserts were good and nicely

decorated, not only in the Shangri La, but at all

restaurants. The Pardise Buffet, had their

desserts, set on top of, a flat, stainless steel,

refrigeration table. They also had homemade ice

cream in the cooler next to them, every day.

Flavors varied, and they had toppings, and cones

on hand. I liked our marble tub, and marble

vanity with sink, and brass fixtures inn our 5th

floor room. We were in room 528. I would go

back here. I loved most everything about this all-

inclusive!!! The lobby fountains of the mermaid

and the dolphin, and the rock wall, were so

calming. The bird cage, topped bar, was nice to

sit near. We would go for tea and cookies, after

5P.M. They have a variety of Celestial Seasonings

Teas, coffees, and 2 to 3 different kinds of cookies

set up. There is also a fountain of a shark, in the

middle of the golf course, on the other side of the

lobby. The mini-golf has statues of old movie stars

that are so life-like. There are 3 little gift shops.

A place to exchange pesos, if you need to; as part

of the lobby counter. There were good deals in

the gift shops. The nitely shows in the Beer

Garden were fun as well. They entertainers for

the Caribbean Show, and the International Shows

were truly professional dancers, and amazing!!!

The guy, with the weighted elastic bans put on

a cool show, during the International show, to the

rhythms, and the fire for the encore, with the

drums, was spectacular!!!!!!!!! Pedro runs a nice

hotel. He is the manager. The only nite club, I

went to with the entertainment staff, was

CocoBongo. There were different nite club

excursions nitely. Also, during our stay the a la

carte restaurants did not require reservations. It

changes according to the amount of people staying

at the resort. We never made it to the sister

resort--Crown Paradise Club. It's families, and we

knew that we did not want to deal with little kids.

This time was for us to relax, exercise, take in the

sea, sun. And that we did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highlands, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2003

We just returned from the golden crown last night.First I will list the bad things:matress was like sleeping on concrete, lobby is open and very humid with a musty smell and flies all over the lobby bar,drinks are watered down cheap liquor but if you ask for the good stuff they have it hidden in cabinets and you'll get it, one night(2:30am) we came back to our room after a rain storm and there was water all over the floor I called the front desk and they said don't worry about it its from the rain we'll send you up some extra towels, and for some reason after the 2nd night housekeeping took off our comforter(which we were using as padding under our backs) and we never got one back, long walk(about 4 blocks)to the bus stop the hotel is not set on the main road.Now that I got all the bad stuff out there were alot of good things about the hotel: the food was excellent, the portions were small especially at shangri-la but we just ate there around 6 at went to eat at either the buffet or peir12 around 9 it was like having really great appetizers. I give you an idea of just how small the portions are there, I ordered a mussels appetizer and they brought me 3 mussels they we excellentso I ordered another and that is never a problem. The veiws were fabulous! Don't get a lagoon"sunset veiw" you can't see the lagoon. The service was exceptional and everyone was very frienly. The gift shop prices were alot better than downtown mexico has changed alot and the locals aren't as willing to make a deal. The pool was a little small but there aren't that many rooms so it was never a problem. The beach was beautiful. Overall we really enjoyed our stay, it was definitly not a five star hotel but well worth the money we paid. If we expecting something like the Ritz we would have stayed next door. By the way I read one review that said it was a party hotel for young adults, I didn't find it to be that at all, it was mostly very quiet and relaxing with some fun activities here and there. One other warning be careful about the elevator it has a very small sensor and its more twords the bottom of the door, we met a man whose finger got stuck it the door and had to get three stitches!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2003

We just got back from the Golden Crown Paradise Spa and I can't say enough about how wonderful the staff is at this hotel. Jose' at the Tiki Bar is the best bartendar you could ask for. All the staff was absolutely wonderful and the food was really good. There were so many activities at the hotel we really didn't venture out much. We would defintely stay at this hotel again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2003

I just returned today from the Golden Crown! I had a great time at a beautiful beach. The resort itself, however, was average at best. The entire resort had a musty smell due to the open (humid) air lobby. My first room was ocean view on the 5th floor. The airconditioner rattled so loud I needed a room change to the third floor. That room had a water leak that came out of the ceiling and poured into one of my suitcases!

The food was poor. Most food served had a frozen taste to it. The soups obviously came from a can and the produce was substandard. I didn't even realize how poor the food was until last night when I went to Chili's and had a decent meal with fresh food!!!

The Golden Crown is a party hotel for young adults with low expectations. People who don't realize how good things can and should be (for the money that is paid) love this place! You can and should get better for your dinero then what is served up here! This resort is similar to what I experienced at Daytona Beach during one of my college spring breaks long ago. It is OK but not what one would consider 5 star by any means. If you want a party hotel and don't mind warmed-up fronzen food and damp smelly rooms then this is your place!

Been to Golden Parnassus Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!