“Great e-learning certification course” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 206 activities in Cancun
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Nautilus Diving provides personalized instruction, professional guided diving tours, and customized packages to meet your diving goals. We are conveniently located in Cancun's hotel zone and offer dive trips to Cancun, Cozumel, and the Cenotes. Our top priority is your enjoyment and safety, so we offer dive trips organized and guided in small groups so we can provide a personal and safe diving experience. Come enjoy the beautiful reefs with abundant sealife, wreck or night dives, or experience cavern diving in the cenotes. We look forward to helping you plan your diving trip!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New York, New York, United States
6 attraction reviews
“Great e-learning certification course”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I did the Open Water certification course with Nautilus through the E-learning option (where you complete the theory through the PADI website beforehand). This shortened the course at Nautilus to 1.5 days which makes it easy to fit into a short vacation. The instructor was Alfredo (assisted by Fernando) and the course consisted of a review session and pool practice followed by 2 ocean dives on the first day, and 2 more ocean dives on the 2nd.

- Alfredo is an excellent instructor. He is very thorough with the review of the concepts and explanations on how to use the equipment. He also has a very calm manner of instructing students in the water which is critical since being underwater for the first time can be disorientating, so having someone easy to trust and follow really takes the fear out of it.
- All the dive sites were excellent reefs full of aquatic life. We saw huge schools of multicolored fish, a moral eel, stingray, eagle ray and a large turtle. Alfredo was very familiar with the dive sites and pointed out various interesting creatures along the way.
- During my 2nd day of diving, it turned out that I was the only student, so I pretty much had a private lesson for my last 2 ocean dives, so that was an unexpected bonus.
- The boat used for for taking us to the dives was fairly large and fit everyone comfortably. The boat crew is very helpful with equipment setup and helping the divers in and out of the water.
- The ocean was quite choppy both days, but Alfredo provides sea-sickness medication (make sure you always accept this!), so that helps.

Now for the not-so-good points:
- The pool session felt a bit rushed - a little more time might have helped get more comfortable with being underwater. To be clear, all the different exercises were taught/completed, so nothing was left out, but maybe some extra swim-around time might have helped. Its possible the full 3-4 day course gets more time, so maybe its only because of the compressed schedule of the e-learning course.
- Also the pool itself only 4-5 feet deep. Due to this, the transition to the 1st open water dive can be a tad challenging, since the 1st dive is at a depth of 30 feet. I really didn't have much of an issue, but if someone was less comfortable with deep water, they might find it tough in the ocean the first time.

Overall I had a great experience and would recommend learning with Nautilus. The minus points I mentioned above didn't really detract that much from the experience and were masked by the fact that the instructors were so good. The owners Sherri & Octavio were also very prompt in replying to my emails before I booked the course, so its a very efficiently run operation. I will definitely dive with Nautilus again the next time I am in Cancun.

Buffalo, New York
“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful time snorkeling in the Cenotes and Akumal lagoon. It was my first time and I am excited to go back and see more! Martin was very professional, friendly, and knowledgable - I really appreciate how he pointed things out ot us and told us about the different species of fish we saw. Mauricio was a fantastic tour guide for us - again, profesisonal, friendly and knowledgable. They made the trip really special.

Niagara Falls, New York
“An excellent experience with a very professional, courteous staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Over Christmas break, my girlfriend and I went snorkeling at Dos Ojos and Akumal. Mauricio was our driver, and Martin was our guide, and both were exceptionally professional, informative, and fun to spend the day with! Martin went out of his way to explain the terrain we were seeing, and to point out various types of sealife and rock formations, frequently checking in with us to ensure we were not getting too anxious since we are new to snorkeling. It was clear throughout the day that our safety was his top priority. It was my girlfriend's first time snorkeling and my second, and I can't imagine how the experience could have been improved upon. The weather proved difficult on the second day, so we asked Mauricio if we could change plans: Instead of snorkeling, we wanted to get a sense of Mexican culture beyond the tourism of Cancun. He thought for a bit, consulted with Octavio, and came up with a terrific plan that included driving through three small, rural towns in the neighboring state of Yucatan, followed by lunch and a good part of the afternoon touring Valladolid, including an incredible hour or so at the market. The whole day was superb thanks to Mauricio's quick thinking, ability to respond to our last minute change of plans, and his excellent on-the-fly narration of the whole trip. I have high standards when it comes to the tourism industry. I'm one of those guys who expects people to exceed at their job. On all counts, Mauricio and Martin were absolutely superb.

Divide, Colorado, United States
“The best Scuba Dive Master in Mexico!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Recently, I went scuba diving (for the 1st time ever!) at Nautilus Diving in Cancun, Mexico. It was a wonderful experience, one I will never forget. Being a novice diver, I needed much personal attention. Our Dive Master was incredible! Clemente Escobedo is very professional, friendly, & extremely knowledgable. The only way I was able to do the dive was because I trusted him completely. (and did alot of praying!)
Search him out, he is worth it!! Barbara

Visited November 2012
Temperance, Michigan, United States
“Just GREAT!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Did 3 days of diving in Cancun in Nov. 2012 with Nautilus Diving and had a GREAT time! We did a package with a full day in the Cenote' and two days in the corral reef and on a wreck. We were treated very well and saw Moray Eels, a Nurse Shark, Lion Fish, Spinney Lobsters, GIANT Stingrays, Sea Turtles, crabs, Parrotfish, Barracudas, Groupers, Pufferfish, Angelfish, Squirrelfish, Eagle Rays, schools of Blue Striped Grunts, and a LOT of other fish!!! We got a TON of good photos and video......I would highly recommend booking with them.

Visited November 2012