“Not so Bad!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #132 of 172 hotels in Cancun
captpiper
“Not so Bad!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

Jeffery's review was right on the money.
I read his review before we went along with all the others, but, like him, we had been booked by Mexico Paradise Getaways, and it was too late to change. I really didn't mind this hotel at all.

Our room was charming with pillars and arches and a marble tiled floor. It was clean - no stained sheets and just a bit of a pool chlorine smell.
The food was mediocre. The salads were crisp and fresh; The meats overcooked and tough.
The bathroom was a bit shabby, but it was clean and functioned as needed, and I don't go to Cancun for the bathrooms.
The mattress was uncomfortably hard, but not lumpy, just hard.
If you ask for a wake up call, don't rely on the hotel staff. Both of our requested wakeup calls came late. Fortunately we were already awake.
There is no clock in the room. There is no hair dryer. The TV does not have good reception. None of these things were deal breakers for me and I would go there again.
It was too cool when we were there for us to use the pool. The jacuzzi didn't seem to be working.
If you want to book a catamaran tour to Isla Mujeres, or anything else for that matter, go out to the main road and find the little guy near the car rental place near the hotel. He had by far the best prices for tours.

• Liked — The atmosphere and charming rooms
  • Disliked — the hard mattresses and the food
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

257 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Chesterfield, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

Please don't let all of the "Bad Reviews" scare you, because the scared the hell out of me! I was forced to stay at this resort, as it was part of a "Free Package" with Mexico Paradise Getaways (a word of caution about Mexico Paradise Getaways read the trip advisor forums on this outfit). 12 Hours before our trip I was told that Caribbean Princess Resort (CPR) was our destination.

After reading the poor reviews of this resort here on Trip advisor I booked our third night @ The Royal Solaris (see my review on this hotel also) before we left home.”CPR" is an old place, but it does have style and character, it’s way out past the New hotel zone, very close to downtown Cancun. If you want the "Ritz" this is not that kind of place.
We arrived @ 11am on Monday, check in was@ 4pm; the front desk folks were very polite to us. When I travel I try not to be the "Ugly American", I asked the man in Spanish, if he spoke English (rather than just assume that he did, something I did during my entire stay in Mexico) "Si Habla English" goes along way with some people, at least it shows that you are putting forth an effort.

So anyway on with the review, they needed to double check our reservations (because it was only booked only 12 hours ago, blame Mexico Paradise Getaways) The front deskman gave us an arm band and invited to food and a cold drink, but we asked to go to the room first.

We were shown to our room right away (we had been on the go since 2am that morning, so early check in was a blessing) the room was cold. The A/C was already turned on for us (it was humid and 85 degrees outside) so this was very nice. A good size room, queen size bed (and yes they are hard as a rock, it's a queen mattress on a cement "bed-riser" I guess you would call it, but it did match the rest of the decor), tile floors and 2 large columns at the far end of the room at the door wall leading out to the balcony (our's overlooked the courtyard and the swimming pool) The room was nice and clean (no bug's),the sheets and towels were clean (not stained), the bathroom was plain and simple but clean (it was in need of an update). We Changed out of our long sleeve shirts and pants (flew in from Michigan) and into shorts & tee's off to explore the resort.

Again it's an old place, located on the lagoon side (so NO ocean view) the courtyard is kept very well, the grounds to either side of the resort are in need of attention, the pool was very clean, and folks were swimming, sunning them selves and having fun. There is a swim up bar at the pool, this is the main bar during the daytime. The Bartender was given a $2 tip on our first drink order that that day, and for that one $2 tip, all day the drinks flowed, he was very friendly and polite to us. We sat poolside and enjoyed the sun (20 minutes later and the first topless sunbather arrived) and the view. We wandered into the 1 (one) and only restaurant, buffet style, but they will bring you your drinks to the table. Lunch was ok, nothing special.

Food is the one thing they need to improve here at "CPR" right away. It was hot and plenty, but a small selection and lunch is a rework of last night’s dinner. Snacks very odd hamburgers, cold melted cheese on the nachos (how could you not make a good nacho), we did not eat breakfast there, I did look one day, but we did not eat breakfast. Dinner, they ask people to dress for dinner, no shorts or sandals, most people did, some did not. Dinner the first night included "baked beef", roast potatoes and pasta dish was the main items, it was the best "meat" served to us in the two days we ate there. Coming from Michigan meat and potatoes was fine by me. We were stuffed when we left a few Cold beers and mixed drinks in the lobby bar and we turned in early. The second day it rained all day, we left for the day for a trip by boat to the Isle. We were back for dinner, Pork Leg was the meat that evening and it was fine.

The best part of "CPR" is that it is a small place, with a very nice polite staff who try very hard to make your stay as nice as they can. We met some very nice people from all over the world that were staying there. We were at the pool together, we had drinks with them before dinner, and we dined with the same folks, and had drinks in the lobby bar together, so you kinda get to know one another. They have a Niche most people have been there before and like the charm of the “Old Cancun”. Young and Old would describe the patrons, from England, Ireland, Holland, Canada and the USA.

Your personal expectations will either make or break your stay here at the Caribbean Princess Resort. For the price, it's a nice place to stay in Cancun. You will get to know the staff and the other patrons well you will come back with some nice memories of a good trip. We did move to a New Cancun Hotel (mostly for the Ocean view and better food), it was a day and night and several million dollars difference between the Caribbean Princess Resort and the Royal Solaris. When I go back to Cancun, I would spend a night at “CPR” again, but I would move again to an upscale hotel for the whole Cancun experience.

• Liked — The character of the place
  • Disliked — the location to far away
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester U.K
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

A truly disgussting stay,Dont go

• Stayed July 2005, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
mmander
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

The Carribean Princess is an absolute dump!!!. The food was horrible, there were bugs in the tub, and it has a view overlooking trash and garbage. The staff does not speak english and the beds feel like you're laying on steel. This hotel is not on the beach strip. I received this trip for free and it was so bad that you could not pay me to go back. We ended up leaving there and going to the avalon.

• Liked — Check-Out
  • Disliked — The entire stay
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

I don't know where the people that have all those positive comments stayed but it was not at the Caribbean Princess because this place is terrible. I will NEVER stay there again nor would I tell anyone about it. I't was terrible. Just like the other negative comments they are all true. This place was in the ghetto and no where near any thing. The food was like nothing I have ever see before. What was the hamburger made out of I ask ????. Toilets wouldn't flush, sink full of hair, room door had hugh gap all the way around it fixture and sockets caulked and still falling off, no space for anything.
The only thing this hotel is good for is if all you plan of doing is drinking and sleeping. Get drunk on the free beer and pass out in your room. Wake up and do it again, this way everything there looks good. And entertainment ??? yea right. Oh and don't lean on the rail by the "lagoon" you might fall in. Pictures of this hotel must of been taken when it first opened because it is dirty looking in person.

• Liked — Nothing !!! Only two staff members in dining area were awesome
  • Disliked — Everything area were awesome
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

My wife and I were booked for a 3 night stay the first week of December 2008 and only stayed for 1 evening before leaving.

During our stay at the Caribbean Princess, we met some very nice people, but just could not stomach staying at this place for our entire trip to Cancun.

On a positive, the staff for the most part is very friendly and pleasant. That's about it for the positive. We were placed in room 224 and could smell a bleach odor throughout the room. Even though the bed sheets smelled clean, they were old with visible stains on them. The staff did give us new sheets when we complained about this. There were visible mold spots all over the drapes (on the room side). The top closet shelf had visible mold and dirt. The water pressure in the toilet was very weak and we had to get assistance from the hotel staff to add water to the toilet and plunge.....

This is an all-inclusive hotel and the staff begins offering mixed drinks from the very beginning of your stay. The alcohol is plentiful, so this could be seen as a positive if you are into the party scene. The food was Ok - although Tuesday's brunch appeared to be the same as Monday's dinner just prepared a bit differently.

Some other problems:
- Pool floor was not clean
- Hot tub does not work - no hot water
- Exercise room is a joke - 3 rusted pieces of equipment
- Kayaks for lagoon are plastic and very, very dirty - doesn't look like anyone has used them in a LONG time
- Restrooms outside of hotel restaurant area were disgusting, especially the womens - mold all over walls and terrible smell
- Bottled water was not available - there were a couple of water coolers available on each floor that you could get water from.
- There was a safe in our closet that was very dirty ( I wouldn't have put anything in it, but they still wanted $1.50 a day for a key to use the safe
- The beds consist of a matress (most very thin) on a concrete slab - very hard.
- There were no washcloths in the bathroom.
- To get to the beach you had 3 options
1. We were told that there was a hotel shuttle that left in the morning and retuned in the afternoon
2. Get a taxi ($10-15 USD each way)
3. Walk about 5 minutes down to the bus stop and pay 6.5 pesos (about 55-60 cents) per person per ride. Would take about 10-15 minutes to get there.

We have many pictures avaialble at:

• Liked — The people that we met; the service staff in the restaurant
  • Disliked — Everything else
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
central scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

me and my family love this little place. we have now been to this hotel 3 times in the past (oct/06 - oct/07 and july/08) and have loved every minute of it.

first time was for our honeymoon (after 16 years together we finally got married but you don,t want to rush these things do you?). second and third time were family holidays and my wife and i are booked up for january 09 as well so we are really looking forward to that and can't wait to see some of the staff who really have made us feel like part of the family every time we,ve been. (jose, raul, ramaldo and mexicos greatest living barman alviro to name but a few) they even got us presents when we were leaving the last time.

after reading some of the dreadfull reviews on here i decided i would throw my tuppenceworth in so here goes

the hotel itself is definetly a little "rustic" and not very big by cancun standards but for us that is all part of the charm and is clearly reflected in the price as it is not have as expensive as most of the other hotels in cancun. for all those who claim that u were sold this as a 5 star hotel then your problem is with your travel agent and not the hotel as they list themselves as 3 star on ther own website and might i sugges tnext time u book a holiday u should do a bit more checking up yourself and not to take everything your agent says as gospel. and if you expect 5 star service and food then go and pay 5 star prices.

as for the food i'm not a fussy eater but my wife is and none of us have had any problems at all and we always managed to find something on the menu to suit both us and the kids (the fish is fantanstic and the cakes are the best i have ever had anywhere ever) but we have been there when other people didn't fancy anything on the menu and the staff were more than happy to make them something else instead.

in short it is what u make it and u get what u pay for.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Caribbean Princess Resort? Share your experiences!