“Five star hotel for me” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Krystal Grand Punta Cancun

You added Krystal Grand Punta Cancun to your Saves list
Krystal Grand Punta Cancun
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 8.5 | Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Hyatt Regency Cancun)   |
Ranked #64 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
south carolina
“Five star hotel for me”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2005

This hotel does not have a beach but i am not a beach person> therefore i give it 5 stars the rooms, the service, the staff, the location. plus you can use beach next door no problems. The hotel safe was a good secure safe in room. Free upgrade for becoming a gold pass member. Courtesy fresh orange juice and newspaper every morning. Every staff person would greet you with a smile. If i needed anything in my room i called the front desk and within 10 minutes someone from staff was at my door. the place was spotless the pool was fantastic and never overcrowded. Even the 3 hammocks hanging beneath the palm trees near pool were usually open. the fantastic view of oceanfront rooms (ROOM#915 TO #924) NO MATTER WHAT FLOOR THOSE NUMBERS HAD THE BEST VIEW.Good money exchange rate 10.70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Greek first
Orange
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2005

The front desk upon arrival tried to raise my price, until I presented my printed paperwork, of actual payment. Sundeck is completely demolished, and is nothing what I expected. The pool was very dirty, with dark mold, with leaves in pool, and milky looking water. The rooms had motion detectors, which made us feel uncomfortable. The wall where old and dusty. Has NO BEACH!!!!!!!!!!! Cigarette burn markings on room chairs. Mattress were outdated 6 months past date, I don’t know if this normal hotel policy. The only thing I did like about this hotel was the view of the surrounding hotels.

Valparaiso, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2005

We stayed at the Hyatt over spring break. My husband and i and our 14 year old daughter.We had a great time. We had a room that looked over the bluest water.We had massages right outside.We had great room service. The pool was warm, and we had great fun food. I would recommend the tuna salad in a pita.I was really nervous about the reviews of this hotel.My brother who lives in New York told me, that generally it is the people that don't like too much, that writes bad reviews, he was right. The elevators take long. We were able to go out in the evening and walk to great dinners.The breakfast in the restaraunt was expensive, so order room service. all in all a great time for us. Missing cancun already.Beware of some of the tours, or excursions.Also our maid Nicolosa, made our room beautiful, twice a day.She even gave us flowers.

• Stayed March 2005
Hicksville, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2005

I have traveled the world and although the Hyatt Regency is not the best hotel I have ever stayed in, it is far from the worst. I was there for a week, March 9th-16th. The front desk staff was friendly and eager to assist from the moment we arrived to check out. Although there is no beach, we found the neighboring hotels more than willing to allow useage of their facilities. It was clear some exterior areas of the Hyatt were damaged during fall/winter storms and have not been repaired, but this did not effect our vacation. Although my wife and I are 20 years post spring break, we found the upper pool to be a quiet alternative to the main pool with college age activities. We had fun and got to re-live some old experiences. I never observed anything that would be objectional to parents with young children. The students were well behaved and the pool staff respectfull. Hotel pool towels were huge and there were no problems obtaining or returning them. We had 3-4 drinks daily as well as lunch each day at the pool. The walk around wait staff was more attentive then anyone we encountered in Cancun. They came by every few minutes and did not push you to place an order. They kept your bill open until you were ready to leave the area.
I watched the pools get cleaned daily around 9 AM. There are some missing pool tiles but I walked barefoot throughout both pool decks and never observed any dangerous, slippery or sharp surfaces. The pool heaters do not turn on until around 10AM when they turn on the filter system and the waterfalls at both pools. It was 90 degrees out during our stay and the pool water was always comfortable.
The location of the hotel is unbeatable. We have been to Cancun before and stayed further from the main area. Everything from the Hyatt was walking distance. Buses were $.50 and came every 2-4 minutes if you wanted to venture further.
The hotel is a little old and can use a renovation, but this did not effect our stay. We spent $200 per night less than the Fiesta Americana across the street. We feel we got a good deal and had a nice stay.

Hayward, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2005

The Hyatt was a very nice Hotel. The service was great, the pools were awesome and the rooms and property was nice. Also, the Gym facilty was exceptionally nice and clean. One of the best things about it though was that we were close to everything and could just walk to wherever we wanted to go at night. No wasting money on taxi's and just very convenient. There is tons of fun places to go around there too.
They had a good happy hour deal every day, two for one cocktails from 3:30 until 5:30/6:00 daily. You can just walk down the boardwalk a hotel or two down to swim in the ocean, which we didn't mind doing at all.

One thing I wanted to mention that I am so impressed and thankful for was what happened when I left a whole drawer full of clothes in our room and didn't realize it until I was on the plane home! I contacted them by phone when I returned and they told me to fax them all my information, address ect. and they would mail it back to me. I was worried that I would not get everything back, (many of the clothes were brand new with the tags on them still) and I was also worried that it would take forever or that I may not ever get them back at all. I received ALL of the clothes back within a week and cannot believe how honest and wonderful they handled this.

It is definitely a good palce to stay, especially considering the reasonable hotel rates compared to some other places we could have stayed.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2005

I wanted to share my horrible experiences during my recent stay (Feb / Mar 2005) at the Hyatt Regence Cancun. I am a global traveller and have lived and travelled extensively in Europe, Asia, Africa, North and South America. I understand that cultural differences exist in other countries. I choose major hotel chains like Hyatt, Hilton and Westin for my travel needs as they usually provide a level of service and professionalism that I have come to rely upon. The Hyatt Regency in Cancun came no where near meeting the quality of many Days Inn or Motel 6 locations that I have seen.

Questionable practices:
·Upon check-in, the front desk staff tried to charge me a rate higher than the rate that I had confirmed. It was only after I provided my printed confirmation that showed the rates that they agreed to the lower rates

·There was a motion detector in the room. This is the first and only time I have ever seen a motion detector in a hotel room. No one at the hotel could explain why this was there. However, it was active as I noted the red light switched on / off only with movements on the bed. Why is the hotel tracking the movements of guests in their rooms (especially focussed on the beds)?

·The concierge directed us to the beach a short walk from the hotel (there was even a sign posted in the lower level of the hotel pointing to the non-existent beach). However, security guards turned us away from this beach, as it was part of the Dreams Hotel next to the Hyatt. I understood that this Hyatt did not have a beach of its own; however, I find it questionable that the staff is recommending use of other hotels’ facilities.

·Most hotels in the area had employed security guards to protect the hotel and guests. However, the Hyatt had signs welcoming / thanking people for using the facilities, thus, providing no privacy or protection to guests from non-guests.

·The hotel is advertised as a family friendly hotel with children’s pool and facilities. However, the children’s pool was located in the middle of “spring-break” style clubbing conducted by the hotel sports staff. The music was so loud that my young children (nor my wife or I) could not use the pool. The staff were promoting excessive drinking and hosting bikini competitions that were closer to “wet t-shirt” competitions all next to the children’s pool. We were forced to use the upper “quiet” pool (the music was still excessively loud as it was next to the other pools) that was too deep for my 3-year-old son to fully enjoy. Additionally, the staff had women walking around all the pools in string bikinis offering free gifts with the purchase of large amounts of alcoholic drinks. I was shocked by these practices being promoted by the Hyatt staff as I have come to expect a higher standard from Hyatt hotels.

·On the first night in the hotel, the room service staff tried to pull a “bait-and-switch” with the bottle of wine that I ordered. I ordered a bottle of wine with dinner and the staff brought a wine that was significantly more expensive than the one I had ordered. Had I not checked the receipt, I would not have known. They then tried to offer other more expensive bottles, before finally conceding that they didn’t stock the lower cost wine that I ordered. I settled on a wine that was slightly more expensive, but not nearly the quality of the wine that I had originally chosen.

·As I was travelling with two young children, an infant and my wife, I did not want to use a standard 4-person taxi, as I wanted my children to utilize seatbelts. I had to “convince” the bell staff to order a van for my ground transportation, as they wanted us to put our children on our laps (or worse yet, I witnessed them putting two small children in the luggage area of a hatch-back taxi). Additionally, when I did convince them to order a van, they wanted to charge more than the standard van fare to return to the airport. I had to explain that I would not pay significantly more to return to the airport than I had paid to arrive from it.

·The hotel provided live entertainment in the lobby bar every evening. However, the design of the hotel acts as a giant speaker, amplifying the sound from the lobby bar throughout the hotel. Thus, I found it difficult to get my children (or myself) to sleep with music so loud (even on the 8th floor) that not even putting the television on full volume could overcome the noise from the lobby singer.

·The pools were open until 7:00pm, but towels had to be returned by 6:00pm. If a towel was not returned, they would charge the cost of 250 pesos (approximately $23) per towel. This cost was very excessive given the poor quality of towels provided. When we tried to return the towels to the front desk (as instructed to do if it was after 6:00pm), the front desk staff treated us rudely, as if they didn’t want to be bothered with the towels. Additionally, on one day, the towel attendant decided to close early and left at 4:30pm, so no towels were available.

Quality of services:
·The front desk staff was unfriendly and generally unhelpful. My wife lodged a formal complaint against one specific staff member who was rude and did not respond to our request.

·The room service staff did not get a single order correct the first time even though they read back the order to confirm it.

·When room service finally delivered an acceptable bottle of wine (see comment under “Questionable Services”), the staff member dropped the bottle on the tile floor. The bottle shattered sending shards of glass and wine all over the tile floor in the bathroom area. It took an additional call to housekeeping to have them clean up the mess. However, the room continued to smell of wine for an entire day; and we continued to find (by stepping on them with bare feet) pieces of broken glass throughout our stay.

·When we determined that the hotel did not provide the baby bottle sterilizers or facilities to boil water for mixing baby formula, we requested boiled water from room service. Once we were able to describe to them what we actually wanted--boiled water--which proved difficult at best, they brought water that smelled and tasted of coffee. We were forced to use this to make formula for our baby, as we had no other means of boiling water for use.

·Poolside drinks / food service was very poor and in many cases, I had to walk to the bar stand rather than continue waiting for the server.

·On several occasions, the housekeeping staff knocked and started to enter the room even though the “Do Not Disturb” sign was on the door.

·The shuttle between the two Hyatt hotels had very limited service times (10:00am, 12:00, 4:30pm, 7:30pm and one later run).

Quality / cleanliness of facilities
·Upon arrival at my room, I noted that the room was very dated and the linens were very worn. The blankets provided were not even wide enough for the bed.

·The public areas of the hotel were under lit and on several nights, the hallways outside of the guest rooms had no lights at all making it difficult and dangerous to navigate to the elevator given the atrium design.

·There was water leaking into the elevators from the ceiling causing a hazard from both slipping as well as from the elevator short-circuiting and leaving guests trapped.

·As noted above, the loud and obnoxious music (both during the day poolside, and at night in the hotel) made it impossible to relax at all during this trip. There was no escaping the nigh-club style music anywhere in the outside pool areas and no escaping the lounge singer inside the hotel at night. We even tried stuffing towels in the gap underneath our door to reduce the noise, but it did not help.

·The in-room thermostat was broken resulting in the air conditioning always running or never running. The room was too hot if the air conditioning was turned off and was too cold if turned on to the lowest fan setting.

·The sliding doors to the balcony were not securely attached to the building resulting in lack of sound proofing from the outside as well as resulting in a significant whistling of wind through the gaps on both sides (and the hole in the middle) of the doors.

·The in-room safe had been disassembled and was not usable. This resulted in my having to carry passports and other valuables everywhere that I went during the stay.

·Use of the phone was hit-or-miss. The keypad was damaged and only worked part of the time.

·On the first morning at the hotel, the television did not work and it took two phone calls and almost an hour for maintenance to come to the room and fix it. Additionally the advertised “satellite TV” had very few English channels and only one children’s channel (which was mostly in Spanish).

·The sun lounges located in the sandy area overlooking the sea (the pseudo beach) were under construction and unavailable after the second day of our stay.

·The heater on the pool was not turned-on until after 10:00 am resulting in the pool being too cold for my children to swim in until after noon.

·The pools had a line of dirt around the entire edge of the pool. I spoke with staff about this, but it was not until day 5 of my stay, when I started taking photographs of the state of the pool, that they decided to clean the sides.

·Many of the tiles in the upper pool were broken or missing, leaving sharp edges throughout the pool. Additionally, the “non-slip” edging around the pool was overly sharp resulting in my son cutting his knee and my daughter cutting her foot while simply exiting the pool.

·Ice machine on the 8th floor was not working during the majority of our stay.

Facilities / services listed on website not available at the hotel:
·In-room safe was disassembled with no locking facility

·I could not find dual voltage outlets in the room.

·Direct dial from the phone was blocked and required two calls to the operator to get it unblocked.

·Many of the staff may have been multilingual, but English was not apparently one of their languages. Both my wife and I had difficulty in communicating with staff.

·The “Kiddie’s pool was located in the middle of the “spring-break” style party festivities.

·The heater on the upper pool was not activated until later morning making the pool water cold during the morning hours.

·The sun deck / pier that is shown in the photos on the website has been dismantled and is no longer available for use.

·Express checkout was not provided.

·Very Important Baby (VIB) Program was severely lacking:

oBaby food was not obviously available. Although baby accessories were requested and a crib was provided, no baby bath was made available.

oBaby bottle sterilizes were not available. The staff did not even understand what we were requesting.

oAgain the baby pool was located in the middle of the “spring-break” style party festivities

oBaby changing facilities were not available in the men’s bathrooms

oThe only boiled water we could get from the hotel to prepare baby formula smelled and tasted of coffee

oGiven that most staff had difficulty communicating in English, we decided to not even attempt to utilize the bilingual babysitters.

I lodged complaints with local hotel staff with no resolution. I have also complained to the Hyatt corporate offices and am awaiting a response. I will post any response that I receive to this forum. For now, my advice is don't plan on a relaxing family vacation at the Hyatt Regency Cancun!

• Stayed March 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Cancun for a week at the end of February this year (2005) with our two small children (4, 5) and baby of 6 months. We bitterly regret our visit and would not recommend the hotel to any visitor for all the reasons described as follows. It was the worst hotel we have ever stayed in worldwide.

1) The hotel is badly in need of redecoration and repair. The public areas indoors such as the foyer and bar lounge area are dark and uninviting; the bedlinen in the rooms is old and threadbare and the room décor is jaded and out of date. The pools are lined with mosaic tiles, many of which are chipped or missing – not only unappealing visually but dangerous; we all suffered from scratches and cuts before the end of the week. There are no smart restaurants.

2) The hotel is a center for Funjet Vacations and focuses especially on guests looking for an environment where they can ‘party’ all day; during the day there is truly deafening ‘club’ music played at the main pool area (adjacent to the kids pool and directly below the supposedly quieter upper pool) and there are ‘wet bikini’ style contests and alcoholic shots downed in the main pool during staff-led volley ball games. Not only is it unpleasant for children to be playing in this environment but impossible to find a quiet spot around any of the pools for oneself. If we had wanted this kind of environment we would have booked into a Club 18-30 style resort.

3) The hotel has no beach; the one mentioned in the Hyatt website being a short walk from the hotel belongs to the adjacent ‘Dreams Cancun’ Resort and Spa. Access to this beach is via a path leading from the Hyatt and it is protected on the other side by a security guard. You will seldom be let through but if you are then you may still not use the sun-loungers. The Hyatt is one of the few hotels along that stretch of coast not to have its own beach. The first two photos on the Hyatt website are misleading – the first coastal photo shows marvellous beaches but the Hyatt and its sea boundary is out of frame. The second photo appears to show a beach or at least swimmable area adjacent to the Hyatt, when the sun-deck was still in service. There is now absolutely no sand nor sun-deck (nor sign of its renovation). If you wish to enjoy a beach without being made to feel uncomfortable you must take the shuttle service to the other Hyatt hotel during the day. Alternatively you can walk along the path out of the other side of the Hyatt towards the Hard Rock Cafe where you will eventually reach a few crowded and noisy public beaches with rough waters.

4) The so-called ‘Very Important Baby’ programme is not enforced; there were no sterilizers available (the staff had no idea what I was talking about) and it was difficult to make ourselves understood when requesting a pot or carafe of boiled water to make baby milk. There is no ‘baby’ pool as mentioned on the Hyatt website other than the cold circular fountain pool adjacent to the partying main pool area.

5) Spending time in the hotel room was dismal; the hotel is designed as a cylinder and noise from the lobby and lounge below amplifies as it travels upwards to the bedrooms. We were on the 8th floor and had to stuff a towel under the door in order to partially block out overwhelming noise from the live entertainment hosted every evening in the lobby and lounge. There are very few English speaking satellite TV channels (even fewer English speaking staff) and no complimentary coffee or tea. The room service failed to deliver the correct food once during our 7 day stay and the food was of very poor quality. The safety deposit box was out of order as was the thermostat and ice-making machine on our floor.

In summary, this is a very sub-standard hotel; not what you would expect from a Hyatt and definitely not 4 Star. I would strongly advise against staying here. It was an utter dump.

• Stayed February 2005

Been to Krystal Grand Punta Cancun? Share your experiences!