“Good for family vacations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Krystal Grand Punta Cancun

Save Saved
You added Krystal Grand Punta Cancun to your Saves list
Krystal Grand Punta Cancun
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 8.5 | Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Hyatt Regency Cancun)   |
Ranked #59 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Victor, New York, United States
“Good for family vacations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Hotel met all my expectations. Good option for family vacation. Large and noise for couples on romantic trip. Very nice location, good service, clean accomodation. Excellent value/price ratio. Free wifi slight slow but has faster paid option available. Overall, it was a good choice for 2014 summer vacation.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Greek first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

My husband and I visit Cancun every year and have now visited over 10 times. On most of our stays we have stayed at this property for all or part of the stay, however under its former management Hyatt. This was our first experience of the Krystal brand and will be our last. This is very sad as you will see from all my previous reveiews how much we have enjoyed our stays here and one thing you cannot change for this place is its perfect location in Cancun, where you are within walking distance of many things.

On arrival at the hotel we were not made to feel welcome and given no direction whatsoever. The lobby area was crowded and untidy. We made it to reception, where we were expecting a private check in as we had booked altitude, this did not happen. My card was swipped we were thrown two towel cards and told to come back two hours later. I appreciate that early check in is not always available, however no effort was made to see if our room could be prepared quickly, no water was offered or any information on the hotel. It was the least welcoming reception experience we have ever experienced, not even a smile. On returning to the desk 2 hours later, service was no better, no one seemed to know the procedures or anything about the hotel. We had to explain our booking to the receptionist who clearly didn't understand what a suite or an altitude booking were. We were then left to find our room alone. On getting to the room we realsied we had no wifi codes, so again had to return to reception, we were given two which were invalid before one which worked. At this point we mentioned to Benito the receptionist that we were unhappy on which we were told to "stop complaining and get on with it". This is the point I demanded to see a manager. In fairness the manager made himself available and listened to us and later sent a gift to our room. Wifi issues continued daily and we were constantly seeking a new code.

The next morning we were awoken by the construction works next door at 7am, at this point my husband and I were ready to check out and went to reception to do as such. Reception found a manager who offered a room change and made a promise that every aspect of our stay would be perfect from this point on. We were also introduced to the newly appointed club concierge, (I think this happened after my suggestion the day before) Manual Cuevas Sosa. Manuel helped us to move rooms and resettle and we were told that we were no longer to use the front desk and anything we needed Manuel would deal with.

UNfortunately problems continued through out the stay. Most bills we had from the bars had one or two mistakes on especially those from the lounge bar and we were charged for breakfast that we never had. The new room although better still had its issues; there was constant motor noise from somewhere, I presume related to the A/C on the roof. Despite setting the air con fairly low we could not get the room below 24 degrees C, which was never resolved in our 11 day stay. The toilet for some reason flushes itself through every 15 minutes and although they tell you this is daytime only, it happens all night as well. The construction noise was still audiable and we had barely any sleep throughout our stay, our longest night was 4 hours. On one morning we were awoken by noise at our window at 8.30am which turned out to be window cleaners for which a warning would be nice. There was also an evening we switched on a lamp which started sparking at us. The room is cleaned daily and fairly promptly however this property offers no turndown and I didn't realise Kystal hotel brand toiletries counted as luxary, I was happy to have taken my clarins with me as it was impossible to tell the difference between the shampoo and shower gel. On another evenign we were awoken at 3am by music from the room below, again reception was unhelpful and wanted to come into our room to verify the noise, something I was not keen on at this time - a more sensible approach might have been for them to visit the room downstairs where they clearly would have heard the music outside the door and then been able to knock and ask the other guests to be quiet. To top this off the clearly highly trained receptionist phoned us back 30mins later to see if it had gone - a move I can only describe as pure idiocy.

Outside the room problems continued. We tried to pay a bill one day at the pool bar, to which we were told we had no credit???? On spending an hour investigating this it was discovered that our card swipe at check in had not been applied to our account, I do not know how this took 7 days to notice, but certainly made me question the integrity of the security surrounding my personal details.

The pool also died most of our white based clothes green and my hair pink. The manager said there was no problem with the water, there clearly was as even the activity staffs hats are green. Either that or my Ralph Lauren swimwear is made of subquality materials.

On one evening of our stay, there was an influx of Krystal managers who came to stay at the property, they were given the best rooms and the service level changed, perhaps this is what is wrong with this property, the management view themselves with more importance than the guests. They blocked corridoors and lowered the tone with their noise. My husband and I also saw one pick up a lady outside which looked suspicious.

So.... there were a couple of good points hence the one star/circle! 1) the location of this property 2) The activity staff at the pool are very welcoming and offer a fantastic water aerobics session daily, our favourite was led by Daniel. 3)Jose 403 and Damian at the pool bar and 4) Jose in the altitude lounge 5) Manuel the club concierge tried his best to make our stay good, he just unfortunately was not provided with the tools for the job, he is very good and personable and I advise him to leave Krystal and work for a better establishment where his level of service would be more suited.

As you can imagine our bill was compensated and we also spent one evening in the infinity suite a far more comfortable room, however a room that I doubt the clients of this hotel will ever book as there is not the service level to meet the room. We were also given a free day trip. We do appreciate this but we still overpaid for this stay as we were time poor rather than anything else and return home unrelaxed. If I was offered money to stay at this hotel I would turn it down.

Perhaps with time the hotel may resolve some of these issues, however it seems to not know who it is marketing itself too. During our stay, childrens playgrounds and a kids club were being installed, however this alongside a sushi bar seems confused. I haven't met many children who fancy going for Sushi after a day at the playground. Krystal simply do not understand what service is and do not understand that you don't want issues resolved you plain and simple do not want them. Cancun as an area is great fun, offering good nightlife, good eats and an extensive range of tours, however don't stay at a Krystal hotel or one operated by this company.

Room Tip: Do not book. Construction site next door and very noisy hotel. AC is next to useless and toilet fl...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Nice hotel with great amenities. Got wifi, water in my room daily, nice gym, and great pool activities like volley ball and water polo. I'm still shocked their wasn't a resort fee for all this great stuff.

Southborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

This hotel is a bit dated but the restaurant, grounds and location on the beach is premium. It has a very nice global breakfast with everything you would like and a kitchen to order if you want something specific. The best, however, was getting up earlier than most (night clubs are not my thing so i am awake and refreshed in the am) for a spectacular serene swim.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for ocean side view. Its worth the 20 to 40 bucks extra if you can spare it.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

This was my first trip to Cancun! I would say that the hotel was very average. I am very indifferent about this hotel. The room was old, clean, cold, plain and simple. The bed was comfortable enough and the view was Acceptable. There was construction next door but once you get past that the ocean view was Amazing. The bathroom was old, the showerhead sucked, the tiled floor was freezing, the shower would flood and the sink water would rapidly splash out water. Their water pipe busted around 7-8pm and left the whole hotel without water. No one could shower and go #2 for hours. The mini fridge sucked, they lock it and you have to call them to have them unlock it -$5 tip. I had to have my mini fridge replaced because it was not working; once I did it took about 2 days for it to actually keep cold beverages. You are also not allowed to remove their stuff and put your stuff in there (weak). My iron was broken and had to call it in to get it replaced -$5 tip. I even had to prove that my iron was broken they didn’t tip me (Sad face) also had to wait 45mins to get a new one. The hotel didn't wow me, you pretty much paying for the location. They hotel was near all the bars and shopping walking distance. It was more disappointing considering the pictures looked a lot better than what it actually was. It's not all-inclusive or a resort style stay for sure. Next time I will pay the extra for the Hyatt. The one thing that was real cool was that they had daily activities like yoga, stretching, water polo and water volleyball that was real fun. My wife and I really enjoyed yoga and water volleyball. The pool closed at 8pm (weak). The staff varied. Some were cool people real nice and helpful others were rude and always expected a $5 tips. Need some towels -$5 tip? Need some Air- $5 tip! GGGGGZZZ! They were not shy and demanding about their tip. Beware if you don’t tip they get real upset and talk about you. They also lag a lot on the requests and still expect a tip. The door boy Ricardo and Gustavo were real cool they gave me some coupon to local restaurants. The people at the bar in the hotel were pretty rude, I don’t know what to say but it but it was always unwelcoming. I hated having to go the bar to get a drink or order food (wife says-Tortilla soup sucked). We rather go out to get something to eat. Another thing that was real cool about this place is that their Cabanas were free and so were the lawn chairs. It’s first come first serve so wake up early to claim one but at least it was free. Pros: Location Cons I rather had stayed at the Hyatt.

Room Tip: This hotel does not offer all-inclusive pay extra elsewhere for all-inclusive it will be worthy the...
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

What a location, right in the heart of the hotel zone, with broad beautiful white beaches and swim-able surf. Beautiful pools and architecture. BUT -- we should not have been lured by the looks. The customer service ended up a nightmare. We booked on the concierge level. Room looked lovely. Ocean view. Cocktails in the Elevation lounge were lovely with a very nice and helpful steward. But at bed time the room was hot. A/C was on but blowing hot air. First call to front desk brought a maintenance man an hour later. After 30 minutes of poking around and banging we were promised cold air within 30 minutes. An hour later the room temperature was 86 degrees! It was cooler outside in July in Cancun! Second call by maintenance brought the room temp down to 82 degrees. Front desk not helpful. No offer of room change. When we asked for a partical reimbursement for our discomfort we got run around, a chat with the day manager who promised she'd attempt to get us a refund, but nothing. No response. DON'T BE FOOL BY THE PICTURES OR THE HAPPIER REVIEWS! Save your money and your patience and go somewhere else down the beach with better customer service!!

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Runnells
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Perfectly happy with our stay here. Had heard that it could be noisy on the City/Lagoon side because of air conditioners at hotel next door and construction going on next door. We contacted the hotel prior to our stay and voiced our concern about possible noise and they said they would out us on a high floor. We did hear the air conditioners next door but it was a constant hum and didn't affect our sleep at all. As for construction there was some noise but only during the day and it wasn't bad. We weren't in the room much during the day anyway. The beach is awesome. View was awesome even on the front of the hotel I could still see the ocean. The only complaint I would have is food is about double the cost it should be and the pillows are really pathetic. Other than that I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Krystal Grand Punta Cancun? Share your experiences!