“Spartan but perfect location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Krystal Grand Punta Cancun

You added Krystal Grand Punta Cancun to your Saves list
Krystal Grand Punta Cancun
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 8.5 | Hotel Zone, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Hyatt Regency Cancun)   |
Ranked #68 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Southborough, Massachusetts
“Spartan but perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

This hotel is a bit dated but the restaurant, grounds and location on the beach is premium. It has a very nice global breakfast with everything you would like and a kitchen to order if you want something specific. The best, however, was getting up earlier than most (night clubs are not my thing so i am awake and refreshed in the am) for a spectacular serene swim.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for ocean side view. Its worth the 20 to 40 bucks extra if you can spare it.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

This was my first trip to Cancun! I would say that the hotel was very average. I am very indifferent about this hotel. The room was old, clean, cold, plain and simple. The bed was comfortable enough and the view was Acceptable. There was construction next door but once you get past that the ocean view was Amazing. The bathroom was old, the showerhead sucked, the tiled floor was freezing, the shower would flood and the sink water would rapidly splash out water. Their water pipe busted around 7-8pm and left the whole hotel without water. No one could shower and go #2 for hours. The mini fridge sucked, they lock it and you have to call them to have them unlock it -$5 tip. I had to have my mini fridge replaced because it was not working; once I did it took about 2 days for it to actually keep cold beverages. You are also not allowed to remove their stuff and put your stuff in there (weak). My iron was broken and had to call it in to get it replaced -$5 tip. I even had to prove that my iron was broken they didn’t tip me (Sad face) also had to wait 45mins to get a new one. The hotel didn't wow me, you pretty much paying for the location. They hotel was near all the bars and shopping walking distance. It was more disappointing considering the pictures looked a lot better than what it actually was. It's not all-inclusive or a resort style stay for sure. Next time I will pay the extra for the Hyatt. The one thing that was real cool was that they had daily activities like yoga, stretching, water polo and water volleyball that was real fun. My wife and I really enjoyed yoga and water volleyball. The pool closed at 8pm (weak). The staff varied. Some were cool people real nice and helpful others were rude and always expected a $5 tips. Need some towels -$5 tip? Need some Air- $5 tip! GGGGGZZZ! They were not shy and demanding about their tip. Beware if you don’t tip they get real upset and talk about you. They also lag a lot on the requests and still expect a tip. The door boy Ricardo and Gustavo were real cool they gave me some coupon to local restaurants. The people at the bar in the hotel were pretty rude, I don’t know what to say but it but it was always unwelcoming. I hated having to go the bar to get a drink or order food (wife says-Tortilla soup sucked). We rather go out to get something to eat. Another thing that was real cool about this place is that their Cabanas were free and so were the lawn chairs. It’s first come first serve so wake up early to claim one but at least it was free. Pros: Location Cons I rather had stayed at the Hyatt.

Room Tip: This hotel does not offer all-inclusive pay extra elsewhere for all-inclusive it will be worthy the...
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

What a location, right in the heart of the hotel zone, with broad beautiful white beaches and swim-able surf. Beautiful pools and architecture. BUT -- we should not have been lured by the looks. The customer service ended up a nightmare. We booked on the concierge level. Room looked lovely. Ocean view. Cocktails in the Elevation lounge were lovely with a very nice and helpful steward. But at bed time the room was hot. A/C was on but blowing hot air. First call to front desk brought a maintenance man an hour later. After 30 minutes of poking around and banging we were promised cold air within 30 minutes. An hour later the room temperature was 86 degrees! It was cooler outside in July in Cancun! Second call by maintenance brought the room temp down to 82 degrees. Front desk not helpful. No offer of room change. When we asked for a partical reimbursement for our discomfort we got run around, a chat with the day manager who promised she'd attempt to get us a refund, but nothing. No response. DON'T BE FOOL BY THE PICTURES OR THE HAPPIER REVIEWS! Save your money and your patience and go somewhere else down the beach with better customer service!!

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Runnells
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Perfectly happy with our stay here. Had heard that it could be noisy on the City/Lagoon side because of air conditioners at hotel next door and construction going on next door. We contacted the hotel prior to our stay and voiced our concern about possible noise and they said they would out us on a high floor. We did hear the air conditioners next door but it was a constant hum and didn't affect our sleep at all. As for construction there was some noise but only during the day and it wasn't bad. We weren't in the room much during the day anyway. The beach is awesome. View was awesome even on the front of the hotel I could still see the ocean. The only complaint I would have is food is about double the cost it should be and the pillows are really pathetic. Other than that I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor.
Riverside, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Checking in was a nightmare. We were the 3rd party waiting to check in so I thought that we'd be in our room in no time at all. Apparently, the hotel staff was spending 45 minutes with each party ahead of us because they were switching them all to different hotels until they had space in their hotel!! I got wind of it because I could hear them explaining it to the parties ahead of us. My husband and I did not want to stay with our family at another site at a completely different location so we had to raise some serious hell. My husband asked to speak to a manager after we were told that we would have to go to a different hotel. Our clerk went to the back office (which each of the clerks did frequently for 5-7 minutes for who knows what) and when she returned she took me aside from all the other parties checking in and gave us a room. Apparently, you have to raise some hell to actually get your reservation at this hotel. I can't comment on the restaurants or bars at the site as we did not use any of their services. The cleaning person was good. The location of the hotel was perfect. Close to restaurants and had a great beach area. I researched this place and liked its location. It was decent for sleeping (although I requested extra pillows for my family and never received them). I probably wouldn't come back to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We went here for a friends wedding and stayed Friday afternoon - Sunday AM. The beaches were absolutely lovely and awesome! The hotel when you walk in has a nice little atrium you can tell its been newly remodeled or painted. I hope they start fixing more things up to make it more comfortable. It was super hot and humid in the lobby, the check out was a little slower then average, but got going after the processed started. The food at the Grill was good at dinner. Breakfast buffet at The O was good too. The pool bar was good with drinks and food. There was one Burger I ordered at lunch time...it wasn't a "burger" that I expected. It wasn't really good, i wouldn't try it but it you choose to don't say I didn't warn you! The staff were really nice and helpful. We didn't have any big problems at all. The servers and waitresses were nice and helpful. If you go to the cabana beds and want service from the Grill you may have to hound them, we waited for almost 45-50 minutes for fries at night time....just to go up the the hostess to find out that they don't have fries at night. They're lunch menu and dinner menu changes up a bit.

The deal at the hotel that they had was buy $150 credits you get double, which equal to $300. When you order the food you should see on the receipt 50% off of you bill which will be pesos. So you just have to pay attention to that. It could get confusing but they will explain to you if you ask. I think you have to ask alot of questions and you will get the answers, because I know I asked a lot and received the answers we were looking for.

The room was okay. Ours was facing the strip side which was okay we still saw the beach. There is construction going on, so expect it to start about 7am and its loud. It didn't wake me up until about 830 and I slept for another 15 minutes and wasn't able to go back to bed. I think there is going to be another hotel there so construction will be there for a long while. We heard the bars and clubs going but then again, its expected. So don't complain, this area has a lot of bars and clubs and if you know about it before...its expected to be loud until 2-3 maybe even 4. We went to bed at midnight and was soooooo tired we didn't hear it at all! So if its known before hand that this area has bars and clubs its not the hotels fault for loud noise its a given. The AC make sure you have it cranked so it wont be so humid in your room. We had it at a constant 26C and it was cool and comfortable. But if the guests before you didn't leave it like that, I think it will be really humid and it'll take time for you to cool the room down. But it will. It just takes awhile...so go to the beach and hang before you go back! The beds and pillows were comfy, the sheets were okay. Nothing luxurious. The bathroom was alright, I think the shower heads could be cleaned a little bit better because the calcium build up made the shower hurt with the water coming out.

Overall it was a good experience for me and my husband as it was our first trip. Next time we know what to expect and what to do. I'd come back again to Cancun, but not sure if I'd come back to this hotel it gets some small things fixed. And also I want to try other places as well and not just one place.

Room Tip: we stayed in 904, and our friends stayed 1112, stay anywhere higher then the 5th, 6th floor and room...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

The location is perfect, 5 minute walk to malls, clubs/bars and restaurants! Very clean nice
Hotel! Only down side of location is that all the workers are constantly yelling out to you for you to hear them out on trips and to come in to their shops but you need to just say no and keep walking, and trips book within your hotel because scams are common. If you don't want to be going out to town and rather just stay in your resort I recommend a different hotel

• Stayed July 2014